• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Work costumes coming to Street Fighter V on April 25th

EulaCapra

Firefighter Alex
Wu0VIOO.jpg
My head is spinning.

Let the Bearded Ryu x Firefighter Alex art commence!

So Mika is gonna do all her attacks and grapples with those pom poms equipped the whole time? =P

These themed costumes are fun but I'd like them to do more fighter or battle themed costumes.

nikos

Funny because my friends and I have always referred to Street Fighter as WORK. Hope there are more work costumes coming.

These costumes got me feeling all warm and fuzzy and confused and I don't know whether I like Mika or Alex's outfit more.

Whew.

Hose me down fam.

All jokes aside, Chun-Li getting all the costumes isn't surprising. The Queen of Street Fighter and female character costumes sell the most.

I just want a costume that doesn't sexualize her. If they give me the traditional Alpha chun-li costume, i'll be fine. So far, i've hated all of her alt costumes.

Ryce

Fisherman Ryu (lonely, nomadic Japanese occupation)
Businessman Ken
Chef Birdie (his love for donuts + Great British Bake Off popularity)

plz capcom

J-Skee

Welp, guess I'm buying this & the school costume pack. I don't even play this game like that. I just like having costumes in fighters. Yes, I know I'm weird.

Will boxer ever get another costume? Hate how they don't make costumes evenly for every character.

It makes more sense that they don't to be honest. They didn't sell enough to justify more costumes for someone like Birdie or Fang. They have to make costumes for the characters that keep selling costumes or have the most players using them. There is at least one more costume for Chun Li that we know of too the one designed by AKIMAN.

Finally another Chun costume. She definitely needed more love.
literally what in the fook is going on here? She has like 8??

As for sales, shotos costumes have to sell a ton, they are still the most popular characters. Sheesh...Capcom really does hate Ken.

Neoxon

Good thing you can ditch the pom-poms for Mika, otherwise I could see that costume being banned at tournaments.

Blackage

I mean I'm sure alot of Nash players would have bought the Genbu colors:

sfv_genbu_nash_screencap.jpg

Shame only 1 person on the planet gets to rock it without mods.

LakeEarth

Wonder what a pie chart would look like for costume spread. Chun Li > Ryu > Juri > rest of cast combined, is my guess.

I did the math. Only counting the premium costumes (the ones that require real money), just 7 out of the 24 characters have over half of the DLC costumes: Chun, Cammy, Juri, Mika, Karin, Laura and Ryu (one of these things is not like the other).

Slight cherry picking, you can substitute Karin or Laura for Necalli and still be over 50%.

sephi22

I'm sorry but I can't get behind the 'they make costumes for characters that sell the most costumes' circular logic. It's a chicken or the egg problem.

Not all, but most folks buy costumes that look cool or aesthetically pleasing. The reason your shitty F.A.N.G. and Birdie costumes don't sell Capcom, is because those characters have base ugly designs, and ugly/lazy premium costumes.

We've seen that folks buy costumes for characters they don't even play if the costumes look cool. Some of them have even posted in this thread. I don't play Chun or Cammy or Necalli but I bought Chun's bikini costume, Cammy's premium outfit, and Necalli's CPT outfit because they look cool as fuck. The only reason I bought Dhalsim's premium is because I main him. If I didn't I wouldn't have bought it because its not very creative at all.

You're telling me that Ken, who's been the 'cooler' shoto for many years and more popular than Ryu at least in SF4 days isn't selling as many costumes as Ryu? Hmmm... could that be because people don't like Ken anymore, or because you gave him an ugly face and lame outfits like that butt ugly Santa cowboy winter one and gave Ryu shit like hot Ryu and edgy Samurai? Whoda thunk it?

You see similar issues in Dota 2, where the more popular characters get more frequent costumes, but in patches where they add cool outfits for characters that don't have any, those sell a lot and even the characters get a bump in play rates for a week or two.

TLDR: Make good costumes for less merch moving characters and you'll get more people buying them. When you make costumes for characters who are already aesthetically pleasing, like your 'waifu' characters like Chun or Juri, you can give them a cardboard box as an outfit and people will buy it anyway

Wait, not a single complaint about these skins being $4 each?

Is that what we've come to? $4 per skin?

Why am I the only one butthurt over it? I feel like I'm missing something...

I'm very in to glasses on chun li costumes

I'm very out on chun li with covered legs

Though her rookie cop costume ain't bad...

I'm a man full of conflict

sephi22

You're not. But so many people seem to swallow what Capcom gives them and thank them for it that it'll fall on deaf years. They release like 3 skins every couple of months, and if you main a character besides the more popular ones, you won't spend a dollar, so it evens out.

Plus you can mod tons of better looking, more creative, sexy, edgy whatever you prefer costumes on PC for free, so fuck 'em.

I mean I'm sure alot of Nash players would have bought the Genbu colors:

Shame only 1 person on the planet gets to rock it without mods.
The funniest part being that man gave up on Nash in season 2.

I really wonder how Ono convinces Capcom to fund these that Sony money must have run out a long time ago.

At least they haven't started doing lootboxes that are $10 with a chance of you getting the skin.

Village

I really wonder how Ono convinces Capcom to fund these that Sony money must have run out a long time ago.

At least they haven't started doing lootboxes that are $10 with a chance of you getting the skin.

With the amount of content in the game, those loot boxes would be worth way more because there would be a good chance to get costumes.

Top Bottom