• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst E3 moments?

It was bad. 400 dollars was way to much for the 360, and then the PS3 just made it worse. It's even worse now, in retrospect. At the time of it's announcement it was a bombshell, for sure, but most people believed at that time that PS3 was going to be significantly more powerful than the 360. 6 years later it could be argued that the PS3 is just marginally more powerful than the 360, and that in practical game performance most multi-platform games run better on the 360. Blu-Ray won the format wars, thanks I think to the PS3, but it was also a bitter sweet win for Sony. Streaming has taken over physical media and Blu-ray was never the success that DVD was.

Based on money being generated, I'd say Digital Streaming won the format wars (where movies are concerned).

• That one Nintendo E3 where the "biggest" thing they had to offer was a Pacman game with GBA connectivity. Such a pethatic showing.
  • As mentioned before, PS3's astronomically stupid 599 price tag + the smug/shameless sixaxis reveal.
  • FFXIV reveal. "WHAT'S THAT? IF YOU WANTED AN MMORPG, YOU'D PLAY ONE OF THE MILLION MMOS THAT ALREADY EXIST AND WANT A REAL FF GAME INSTEAD? WELL. TOO BAD!"

mr%20caffeine.gif

legacyzero

Banned
I love the "ONLINE!?!?" one. Pretty much my exact reaction.

Ravi Drums and $599 US dollars take the cake for me though. Jamie Kennedy is also great.

It was exactly my reaction as well. I was hoping to see a new FF since XIII was such a goddamn disappointment.

Nevermind that.

Jomjom

Banned
Nobody will ever beat $599.

Until Sony reveals PS4 for $1099 and suggests 4 jobs and a black market organ sale.

sarcoa

How do you know it was human?
Can't say with 100% certainty but the general largeness of the turd I half squished suggested it came from a person.

That was in 2008 and it was a beautiful metaphor for the state of Midway at that point.

watership

Which was worse, Microsoft 2010 or Microsoft 2011?

If by worse, you mean Kinect? Then I'd say it was 2011. There was just more of it. More happy people bouncing around.

I didn't mind either of these conferences at all tho, mostly because I have two young nieces who LOVED watching the Kinect stuff. The once upon a monster and Disney stuff got them pretty excited. And I still got to see some good core stuff.

Flakster99

Let's see..

3. The Nintendo 2008 conference was quite bad. No issues with their casual approach this generation as it has been, for me, quite varied and fresh, but that conference was both fucking hilarious and atrocious. Poor Cammie lol.

2. A tie because both conferences sucked ass. Microsoft 2010/2011, specifically their casual and Kinect approaches were pure unadulterated fud. I suppose it was slightly entertaining from the standpoint if you have young children and/or if you bought into Microsoft's hype.

Of the conferences I've watched, I don't think anything will out-do the Sony 2006 shits how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

1. So many quotable lines from that conference, a giant what-were-they-thinking still crosses my mind. Even after all these years I find this video both fucking hilarious and sad. So much disillusionment.

Fun thread to read through though I'll say that much. :)

The thing is that the worst e3 moments are actually the best e3 moments.

Although the 599 USD PS3 Sony year gets a lot of shit at least they were showing actual games (regardless of quality) at that conference, the last two years of Microsoft have been nonestop balls to the walls Kinect garbage - nearly unwatchable.

There was this Capcpom 2008 E3 conference that nobody remembers.

The complete conference was not about games (remember, it's Capcpom), it was about Lost Planet: The Movie.

It was the mooooost boring thing that I ever saw.

Blondie

Neo Member
C'mon, nothing even comes remotely close to the Sony '599 US dollars' conference in terms of trainwreck.

After a conference filled with trailers for games that nobody wanted to play (giant enemy grabs, rrrrrrridge racer), they revealed their REVOLUTIONARY NEW CONTROLLER (a DualShock with stolen Wii functionality a year after dismissing motion as a gimmick), then they announced that they were pricing themselves out of the market.

There has never been such another even remotely as spectacularly terrible E3 'moment'.

Microsoft and Nintendo conferences have been filled with games that you might not care about and the occasional glitch (avatar foot, etc.), but Sony's conference was them committing PR and commercial suicide in front of thousands of viewers.

Nope, this is a close second to the 1995 e3 where Sega comes out with the Saturn for $399 and available NOW! Which goes on to piss off a ton of retailers not in the know making them side with Sony. There's also like no games for it and pisses off gamers and developers trying to rush product out for the Saturn for the rest of the year.

Sony goes up on stage and announces the PSX for $299, available in the fall, and just kills it!

That e3 moment not only determined the fate of the Saturn, and who would win the 32-bit gen, but ultimately the fate of Sega as a console manufacturer. $599 was a colossal blunder, but at least the PS3 recovered. $399 early release Saturn/Sega never recovered and they were the heavy favorites at the time too...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nope, this is a close second to the 1995 e3 where Sega comes out with the Saturn for $399 and available NOW! Which goes on to piss off a ton of retailers not in the know making them side with Sony. There's also like no games for it and pisses off gamers and developers trying to rush product out for the Saturn for the rest of the year.

Sony goes up on stage and announces the PSX for $299, available in the fall, and just kills it!

That e3 moment not only determined the fate of the Saturn, and who would win the 32-bit gen, but ultimately the fate of Sega as a console manufacturer. $599 was a colossal blunder, but at least the PS3 recovered. $399 early release Saturn/Sega never recovered and they were the heavy favorites at the time too...
I don't know whether I would call the Saturn/PlayStation thing the worst E3 moment. It was pretty masterful of Sony.

The thing is that the worst e3 moments are actually the best e3 moments.

Although the 599 USD PS3 Sony year gets a lot of shit at least they were showing actual games (regardless of quality) at that conference, the last two years of Microsoft have been nonestop balls to the walls Kinect garbage - nearly unwatchable.

Kinect games are real games. Deal.

Yes, I find it funny that the OP in this thread tries to play it out like it's boring and let's move on people. Heh. There's a reason people write it out like "five hundred and ninety nine US dollars." It was by far the most important E3 moment I've witnessed and not something to just sweep under the rug. We have gone over it before but it can't be understated how big of a moment that was - everybody (well, most) knew what this meant and that nothing was going to be the same.

I fall on your side in this.

As bad as all of the Kinect, Ravi drums, or faulty software (Skyward Sword, Star Wars Kinect demos) are... $599 was when the uncontested owner of the videogame market bowed out.

Wait wait wait a second. Why are some people saying Nintendo 2009, that year was totally normal.
If people are puting Nintendo 2009 on their list, lets just add the majority of years of Microsoft and Sony then.

The worse of the worse of the big three were:
-Nintendo 2003 and 2008
-Sony 2006
-Microsoft 2010 and 2011

Nintendo 2008 where Nintendo seemingly sought to turn Miyamoto into a parody of himself, and what's worse is that it was actually his doing. It was such an amazing train wreck. Couldn't look away despite wanting to.

Jeff-DSA

Sony 2006 is the easiest answer. It's the moment when Sony's decline was assured. The PS3 and PSP generations have been nothing short of pure failure from Sony. If you look back on their 2006 conference now, it's easy to see why they got thrashed.

D_prOdigy

People suggesting Nintendo 2009 are getting confused or something. Reveals of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS, even Wii Sports Resort looked cool in lieu of M+. And the completely left-field Metroid Other M reveal was totally ballsy and unexpected.

To contribute to the thread, the Scene It! flavour of MS's 2008 was the first instance where they actually looked like they were losing the plot this gen. Luckily for their reputation, the badness of Nintendo's conference the next day completely eclipsed it, and most now forget how naff it was.

Perkel

Banned
Sony 2006 is the easiest answer. It's the moment when Sony's decline was assured. The PS3 and PSP generations have been nothing short of pure failure from Sony. If you look back on their 2006 conference now, it's easy to see why they got thrashed.

lol yeah 70mln of PSP with rather good libary

and 57 mln ps3 with good libary.

TOTAL FAIL...

Top Bottom