• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft is serious about seeing if their games will sell on PlayStation-they are going to have to offer HellBlade 2, Indiana Jones, or Starfield!

Topher

Gold Member
But none of the ports mentioned in the OP are « already happening », it’s a simple fact.

I don’t even want to know what kind of mental backflip is required to call it anything other than port begging.

"I don't want to play Hi Fi Rush on PlayStation. I want to play Starfield on PlayStation"

That's port begging.

"Hi Fi Rush on PlayStation is not as good an indicator for success of MS ports as Starfield would be."

That's not port begging. The mental gymnastics is pretending it is.

BigLee74

They will, when they are old. That way there is still an exclusivity period of value to Xbox owners. Buy an Xbox or pc if you can't wait.
This is what will probably end up happening.

6 months on the Xbox/PC before making it on to other systems. Keeps the Xbox attractive for those that prefer their exclusives, yet still brings in money from large previously untapped user bases.

And a lot of you will love Starfield. 😉

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's just absurd. OP is suggesting that the current four games are not the best indicators of how well MS games would do on PlayStation and you and others turn to this knee jerk "port begging" cry when it isn't that at all. You are mischaracterizing the OP by saying the OP is "asking for" anything. He isn't. Suggesting that such a test for determining success would be better conducted using a different specific set of games is not port begging.

I don't think the subject line can be any clearer. Earlier in the thread when I jokingly said 'brb making thread about Helldivers on Xbox, you said that doesn't make any sense. The logic is just the same, because x platform holder has y,z first party games appear on another platform, it means more games need to be there for their games to sell well.

James Franco GIF

And a lot of you will love Starfield. 😉

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat put it best earlier in the thread.

Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

Sony fans waiting for the Indiana Jones Xbox game they made fun of a couple months ago.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think the subject line can be any clearer. Earlier in the thread when I jokingly said 'brb making thread about Helldivers on Xbox, you said that doesn't make any sense. The logic is just the same, because x platform holder has y,z first party games appear on another platform, it means more games need to be there for their games to sell well.

No, you are still not making any sense as that is not the logic of the OP at all. It is not that "more games need to be there for their games to sell well". The logic is "different games need to be there if this is a test of how successful MS games on PS can be".

Last edited:

adamsapple

No, you are still not making any sense as that is not the logic of the OP at all. It is not that "more games need to be there for their games to sell well". The logic is "different games need to be there if this is a test of how successful MS games on PS can be".

Asking for specific games by name, that have not been mentioned coming elsewhere *is* kinda port-begging. Sea of Thieves is one of the most successful live service games on console, calling it niche is a bit uninformed anyway.

Last edited:

Little Mac

I can’t speak for anyone else but myself, but as a Playstation gamer, all I care about at the moment is Helldivers 2. I’m having such a great time with it and none of those games in the title are gonna pull me away from it …

Hell Yeah Victory GIF by PlayStation

Topher

Gold Member
Asking for specific games by name, that have not been mentioned coming elsewhere *is* kinda port-begging. Sea of Thieves is one of the most successful live service games on console, calling it niche is a bit uninformed anyway.

Nah....it just isn't, but whatever. Sea of Thieves is doing well in preorders so pointing that out would be better argument than this silly port begging nonsense.

Megatron

What are you even talking about, reread what you initially quoted, this time read it properly.
I mean the quote was in response to what I wrote so I think i understood it better than you apparently did. But Ok you’re backing off now lol. I knew nobody could believe anything that dumb.

Three

Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

Sony fans waiting for the Indiana Jones Xbox game they made fun of a couple months ago.
People laugh, but that could pay off very well for them. And if it does pay off, well…that could shake things up.

Please make up your mind on where you stand. Does waiting to release pay off for the console manufacturer or is it bad when sony does it for your platform? Are you making fun of yourself for also happily waiting for games? Do you prefer to wait for GAAS games like helldivers? Because your consistency is questionable:
Of course Sony isn’t doing themselves any favors by waiting up to two years to release their PC ports. By then the hype’s died and we’re usually hearing how that game wasn’t that good ie: Forbidden West. I doubt there’s a lot of people waiting for that.
Yep. Waiting two full years is incredibly dumb. They’re losing sales by releasing games after hype and interest long dried up.

Helldivers 2 had both PS5 and PC players hyped. Notice how there’s no hype at all for Forbidden West? I bet it won’t hit Helldiver 2’s numbers.
Jim, please do us PC folk a favor and make us wait 2-3yrs for your GaaS games.
Most PC gamers already do this.

Unless you absolutely can’t wait to play a third Spiderman game.
No game is doing things I haven’t seen already, so I have no problem with waiting.

Waiting is a rare thing though, as everything either hits PC day and date, or is PC first.

Pretty sure all of them will make their way at some point anyway. Why the fuck not at this point? Just make money ffs.

Start with some older titles (like they are) then give the new releases a 1 year exclusivity to Xbox and PC, and then release on PS and Nintendo afterwards. Make some money... focus on creating good games. Build up confidence in your products.. and then see where you want to go after that point.

This whole thing only works if you make great games people will want to buy, regardless of the device it's on..

I mean the quote was in response to what I wrote so I think i understood it better than you apparently did. But Ok you’re backing off now lol. I knew nobody could believe anything that dumb.
Maybe English isn’t your first language, but if it is, good grief. Nobody is saying that first party Xbox games are going to launch first on PC or PlayStation without launching on Xbox at the same time. They are saying that they will simultaneously launch on all platforms.

The first post of yours, post 11 in this thread is quoting somebody and arguing against something that they never said. You are making shit up in your own mind.

The only person that’s dumb here is you, making yourself look like an illiterate clown.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Please make up your mind on where you stand. Does waiting to release pay off for the console manufacturer or is it bad when sony does it for your platform? Are you making fun of yourself for also happily waiting for games? Do you prefer to wait for GAAS games like helldivers? Because your consistency is questionable:

A lot of folks here should probably do some reflection on their past posts before they cry about "port begging". Most of my fellow PC gamers really should just leave the topic alone.

AmuroChan

I think Indy and Blade are a given that they will be multiplatform titles, when you consider how much Disney charges for licensing. One-third of Spider-Man 2's budget was the fee that Sony had to pay Disney.

Chukhopops

I think Indy and Blade are a given that they will be multiplatform titles, when you consider how much Disney charges for licensing. One-third of Spider-Man 2's budget was the fee that Sony had to pay Disney.
But Disney literally explained in an interview that they allowed MS to change the contract and drop the PS5 version. It might come out a couple years later I guess.

Gojiira

When Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush was coming out on Xbox, didn't we hear articles from the devs that Gamepass allows for these smaller games to be made. How does this reconcile with it now going on Playstation? Are small games gone going forward?
Simple, back then articles peddled the narrative Xbox gave them, that Gamepass was this shining beacon, the future of gaming, when in actuality it was a failing gimmick thats made no money and hasnt grown. So the reconciliation is its obvious they lied back then, and porting to Playstation is a attempt at clawing back revenue.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

There’s my personal feelings, my feeling on what makes sense for Sony, and me making a joke.

Seems you can’t figure that out.

You’re just looking for posts to put up as some big gotcha, without bothering to consider the context.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A lot of folks here should probably do some reflection on their past posts before they cry about "port begging". Most of my fellow PC gamers really should just leave the topic alone.

Haven’t been following the drama in this thread, but my post had nothing to do with port begging.

Personally I don’t care if people discuss possible ports or what they’d like to see from publishers, who are supporting their platform. Hell, I do it and so do many others when we talk about wanting a Killzone Collection on PS5/PC or Demon’s Souls on PC.

My post was making fun how Sony fans are now hoping and waiting for news of ports of Xbox games they previously made fun of.

BlackTron

People are so used to publishers releasing something lame as a "test" to see if they should bother releasing a real ass thing later, they think that is what is happening now...

Humdinger

Of those 3 titles which one do you think will be the true barometer of success for supporting PlayStation?

Not sure what you mean by "true barometer of success." "Success" sounds like you're thinking in financial terms.

I think more in terms of, "Which of those three titles would clearly indicate MS's intention to bring most of their main exclusives going forward to Playstation?" Most of us suspect this will happen eventually, but MS is carefully crafting their statements to avoid upsetting the fanbase.

So, which of those games would be a clear indication that MS is going to bring most of their exclusives to PS going forward? I'd say any of the three would be a pretty clear indicator of that, particularly Starfield or Indiana Jones. Hellblade is a smaller title but still a high-profile exclusive, something MS has been boasting about for many years, and something in the present rather than the past. Starfield or Indy (both huge-budget, recent/future AAA exclusives) would be very clear signs.

If you're sending those over, then you don't have very many boundaries about what you will send. Maybe you keep Xbox-associated franchises like Halo or Gears exclusive, but you'll be sending most of the other (formerly third-party) stuff to PS and/or Switch.

That's how I would read it, anyway.

Topher

Gold Member
Haven’t been following the drama in this thread, but my post had nothing to do with port begging.

Personally I don’t care if people discuss possible ports or what they’d like to see from publishers, who are supporting their platform. Hell, I do it and so do many others when we talk about wanting a Killzone Collection on PS5/PC or Demon’s Souls on PC.

My post was making fun how Sony fans are now hoping and waiting for news of ports of Xbox games they previously made fun of.

But that's just another blind generalization. Has the OP, who listed those games, made fun of Indiana Jones, Starfield, etc.? Do you specific examples of specific Sony fans in this thread who have done this? if you are going to point fingers like that the you really have to do what T Three did and dig up the posts and present them to the person.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally I would think Indiana Jones would be a terrible test. The PS audience hates anything in 1st person and if anyone makes a game like that it's because they're scared. Heard about that for a week when the game was announced.

King Dazzar

Personally I would think Indiana Jones would be a terrible test. The PS audience hates anything in 1st person and if anyone makes a game like that it's because they're scared. Heard about that for a week when the game was announced.
Problem with Indiana is that we have no idea of whether its any good or not. I think Machine Games have a a bit of a mixed history in terms of quality. Whilst 3rd person first party stuff has its audience for sure on PS. Lets not forget CoD is still very high up on what sells.

Time will tell.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Problem with Indiana is that we have no idea of whether its any good or not. I think Machine Games have a a bit of a mixed history in terms of quality. Whilst 3rd person first party stuff has its audience for sure on PS. Lets not forget CoD is still very high up on what sells.

Time will tell.
I'm just making a joke. Those early Indiana Jones threads were embarrassing.

Only thing I've ever played from these guys is Riddick, which I loved. I intend to play all the Wolfenstein stuff eventually, but probably not this year. I don't know how Indiana Jones will be but the trailers sure look great so far. Fingers crossed I guess.

Valonquar

MS is just following suit Sony's lead of timed exclusivity for years old games drumming up interest in console exclusive sequels.

Topher

Gold Member

Time will tell.

Good games will do well on PS. That's just generally true. Plenty of us have good reasons to not like the choices made for an Indiana Jones game, but if it turns out to be a great game regardless then more than likely it won't matter.

adamsapple

I'm just making a joke. Those early Indiana Jones threads were embarrassing.

Only thing I've ever played from these guys is Riddick, which I loved. I intend to play all the Wolfenstein stuff eventually, but probably not this year. I don't know how Indiana Jones will be but the trailers sure look great so far. Fingers crossed I guess.

It's a genre (adventure/exploration) that doesn't usually happen in first person, 99% of devs make third person ots games, so it'll be interesting to see how MG tackles it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's a genre (adventure/exploration) that doesn't usually happen in first person, 99% of devs make third person ots games, so it'll be interesting to see how MG tackles it.
It is rare, but it's been done. I think we know what to expect. Similar things in the past have had 1st person perspective mixed in with more exploration and platforming; Riddick, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deus Ex HR, Breakdown, and more. Usually these are the best 1st person games in my opinion.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
But that's just another blind generalization. Has the OP, who listed those games, made fun of Indiana Jones, Starfield, etc.? Do you specific examples of specific Sony fans in this thread who have done this? if you are going to point fingers like that the you really have to do what T Three did and dig up the posts and present them to the person.

Is this a new thing now that started over the weekend? People generalize all of the time.

Megatron

Maybe English isn’t your first language, but if it is, good grief. Nobody is saying that first party Xbox games are going to launch first on PC or PlayStation without launching on Xbox at the same time. They are saying that they will simultaneously launch on all platforms.

The first post of yours, post 11 in this thread is quoting somebody and arguing against something that they never said. You are making shit up in your own mind.

The only person that’s dumb here is you, making yourself look like an illiterate clown.
‘Day one exclusives to other platforms is inevitable ’ is what they said. Now maybe you don’t understand what exclusive means, but it means only on one system and not others. So if MS releases a day one exclusive on PlayStation, then by definition it cannot be on XBox. And they don’t mean day one exclusives will later be ported to Sony or Nintendo down the road because this is already happening. (Plus the ‘day one’ qualifier wouldn’t really make sense in that context) They literally said that MS will release day one exclusives on other consoles.

Reading. It’s really not that hard. Well, for most of us :D

Anyway, I’ve wasted enough time on this. Feel free to have the last word but I’m out lol.

Last edited:

DonF

Any person with 2 wrinkles in their brain will measure those games against their sales on Xbox.

Top Bottom