• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft is serious about seeing if their games will sell on PlayStation-they are going to have to offer HellBlade 2, Indiana Jones, or Starfield!

FMX

I don't think that these niche titles (Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, SOT) will do the trick. I am just a gamer and I know this, so a trillion-dollar corporation has to know this too. There can be no other way. Of those 3 titles which one do you think will be the true barometer of success for supporting PlayStation?

Three

I don't think that these niche titles (Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, SOT) will do the trick. I am just a gamer and I know this, so a trillion-dollar corporation has to know this too. There can be no other way. Of those 3 titles which one do you think will be the true barometer of success for supporting PlayStation?
They probably already know they will support it but they will do timed releases and keep the public in the dark about it.

Crayon

4z2.gif

Ozriel

M$FT

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

if you truly knew much about these things, you’d know Sea of Thieves is certainly not a ‘niche game’. It’s sold a significant amount of copies so far.

Hellblade 2 is WAY more niche than SoT.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't think that these niche titles (Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, SOT) will do the trick.
Microsoft will likely understand the appeal of each of these titles, having already sold them on Xbox and PC, and will be able to compare them to other titles they sell through their stores. So, whatever they're looking for will be based on that.

yazenov

It seems they are drip-feeding instead of flat-out opening the floodgates to avoid a complete meltdown of their fan base. However, day 1 exclusives to other platforms are inevitable, and it's only a matter of when not if.

I think Sea of Thieves on PS5 will pave the way for other Xbox exclusives if it's successful. They are just testing the water now. No pun intended.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
When Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush was coming out on Xbox, didn't we hear articles from the devs that Gamepass allows for these smaller games to be made. How does this reconcile with it now going on Playstation? Are small games gone going forward?

Megatron

It seems they are drip-feeding instead of flat-out opening the floodgates to avoid a complete meltdown of their fan base. However, day 1 exclusives to other platforms are inevitable, and it's only a matter of when not if.
you think MS is going to ‘inevitably‘ release games day one exclusively on other platforms and not on XBox? Dude. Yeah I’m going to say that’s never happening. :pie_grinning_sweat:

Mr Hyde

I just want Sunset Overdrive at 4K 60 on PS5. I don't know if MS or Sony is owning the IP but they need to release it to a wider audience. Brilliant game. Best MS exclusive I've tried so far.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think Sea of Thieves on PS5 will pave the way for other Xbox exclusives if it's successful. They are just testing the water now. No pun intended.
I think you're right that they're testing the water, but I also don't think day one multiplatform releases, or even multiplatform for all titles is a guarantee.

At this moment in time, all publishers seem to be readjusting what they're doing.

I would say there's far more been said about Microsoft releasing Sea of Thieves, years after it's run on Xbox began, than Bungie, a first party studio, releasing Marathon on Xbox day one.

To some degree, Microsoft keeping Starfield exclusive (this far) is surely the less likely outcome than Sony putting Marathon on Xbox. By all the arguments that we hear on here - nobody buys games on Xbox, PlayStation has the biggest share of the market, etc. etc. with that in mind, Surely Bungie would be better off putting all their efforts into the PS version.

I'm not saying that any particular outcome is more or less likely but I could see all publishers experimenting over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Fredrik

They probably already know they will support it but they will do timed releases and keep the public in the dark about it.
Yeah they’ll do it like Sony with PC releases. Attempting to lure people in from not wanting to wait. It’s super annoying tbh. You never have a clue how long you might have to wait.

RGB'D

I mean given everything, all the companies are going to be day 1 multiplatform eventually... Also PS day 1 PC will come long before Xbox day 1 on PS.

damidu

nah they'll also need to do day and date to maximize the hype and promo cycle.
with the way all their exclusives seem to overpromise and underdeliver, they will never have similar impact at a later date.
like they probably would have pulled a highway robbery on ps5 with starfield's prelaunch hype, before people had a chance to learn what a turd it was.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Whilst MS will of course be keen to see how well these do. And they certainly appear to be keen on doing the ports well. I all but guarantee you they're already working on more ports.
Quote Inspiration GIF by Power of Positivity

Last edited:
I’m sure most or all of them will come eventually. Just do what PC gamers do when it comes to Sony titles, just wait. Plenty to play in the meantime.

Funny this came up. I just bought Xbox again to play some older 360 games myself. Really miss the 360 days of Xbox.

Pretty good sales going on right now.

BhZ3ery.png
BbT2xV2.png
My man! There are tons of Xbox 360 games that run great through backward compatibility, which makes it worth keeping or grabbing a current-gen Xbox imo.

And even if some of the BC titles are currently delisted from the Xbox Store, you can still find them at a reasonable price used on FB Marketplace, ebay, caigslist, etc. :D

Topher

Gold Member
My man! There are tons of Xbox 360 games that run great through backward compatibility, which makes it worth keeping or grabbing a current-gen Xbox imo.

And even if some of the BC titles are currently delisted from the Xbox Store, you can still find them at a reasonable price used on FB Marketplace, ebay, caigslist, etc. :D

Gotta a few retro game shops in my area so looking forward to doing some shopping.

King Dazzar

Bought a used X off ebay for $300.
Cool. I sold mine for similar. Only thing I miss is the BC stuff, but more the enhanced ones with boosted res and fps. I may revisit too one day... I'm going to see how things pan out with the porting over the coming months. If they do Gears and Halo MCC.... wont that be a moment. Especially if they slap on dualsense features. Imagine playing Halo on a PlayStation with adaptive triggers. Could be great way to revisit and for me double dip. Very bizarre but good times in amongst all of this. And to think it wasnt so long ago, nothing but exclusives appeared to be the strategy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gotta a few retro game shops in my area so looking forward to doing some shopping.

If you haven't, it is my obligatory responsibility to ask, nay threaten, that you buy Deadly Premonition.

The X360 version of the game is still the best one (improved via BC) as all other future versions have fucked the game up in big ways.

Iced Arcade

I think niche titles will continue to release on PS to recoup costs they are not making.

Sea of thieves isn't niche though. Lol not to mention on the most preordered lists on PS store lol

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They will, when they are old. That way there is still an exclusivity period of value to Xbox owners. Buy an Xbox or pc if you can't wait.

Topher

Gold Member
If you haven't, it is my obligatory responsibility to ask, nay threaten, that you buy Deadly Premonition.

The X360 version of the game is still the best one (improved via BC) as all other future versions have fucked the game up in big ways.

Scared Dog GIF

I guess I'm buying Deadly Premonition

Sacred

Port begging at it's finest

nial

Gold Member
They’ve been publishing games on competitor consoles for nearly a decade now.
Let's not pretend that a Minecraft spin-off here and there is in the same level as the new multiplatform initiative. They've set the expectations going forward with the ports of these ""niche"" games.

Topher

Gold Member
Let's not pretend that a Minecraft spin-off here and there is in the same level as the new multiplatform initiative. They've set the expectations going forward with the ports of these ""niche"" games.

Hasn't it been said a number of times that Minecraft has contractual obligations in being multiplatform?

Top Bottom