• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Microsoft is serious about seeing if their games will sell on PlayStation-they are going to have to offer HellBlade 2, Indiana Jones, or Starfield!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's not pretend that a Minecraft spin-off here and there is in the same level as the new multiplatform initiative. They've set the expectations going forward with the ports of these ""niche"" games.

brb, making thread about Helldivers needing to be on Xbox to be a success because MLB The Show is there too.

Funny this came up. I just bought Xbox again to play some older 360 games myself. Really miss the 360 days of Xbox.

Pretty good sales going on right now.

BhZ3ery.png
BbT2xV2.png

A lost lamb is never lost if it finds its way back home.

1h3val72pa781.jpg

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
This is so silly stupid there is a. Easy fix and I don’t know why it’s not already a thing on all consoles.

First party titles release on pc and their console first. 1 year from release they are released on competitive consoles.

This accomplishes two things. It’s generated income for first party studios and increases console sales.

It allows the price drop to happen also improving sales within the first year, than the game comes out full price on competitors system generating interest and full value for new gamers.

This fills all the needs for everyone. Why they don’t do this beyond me and stupid.

nial

Gold Member
Hasn't it been said a number of times that Minecraft has contractual obligations in being multiplatform?
I don't remember that, but if so, it makes my point stronger.
brb, making thread about Helldivers needing to be on Xbox to be a success because MLB The Show is there too.
You would if you weren't already aware of why that is the case in the first place. SIE doesn't even publish the Xbox and Nintendo versions of MLB The Show, lol.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

That doesn't make any sense my man

A lost lamb is never lost if it finds its way back home.

1h3val72pa781.jpg

Letting the games dictate the platform (rather than vice versa) has served me well.

Last edited:

Metnut

This is inevitable. Once it happens, anyone owning a Switch(2) and a PS5 will have access to all of the games. What a combo!

T0minator

GP had spoiled any chances of them selling millions and millions of copies of any of their games. 2-5million maybe from now on. Nintendo and PlayStation easily double or even triple that with their big releases.

Xbox just needs to top day 1 releases on GP and consistently release quality games consistently and they can sell on their own consoles... But that's not going to happen, the pitch forks would be in the millions towards them.

PlayStation and Nintendo is literally their only way they're selling games again

mdkirby

Sea of thieves is not niche, and so far as I can tell is arguably Microsoft’s biggest success story this in recent years. (Unless we’re now calling COD and Diablo etc microsoft successes 🤣)

I’ll get Indiana on ps5 for sure. Not a chance with starfield. Played maybe 20hrs on seriesX. Wanted to love it, but it’s just not a good game. Such a shame :(

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Believe or not, there aren’t very many PlayStation fans that are interested in Hellblade 2 at all.

At least that I know of. Maybe I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

StueyDuck

eeew starfield...

but seriously, they are bringing them all, just like how Sony is eventually bringing everything to PC.

it'll be drip fed but it's all coming to all platforms (or the ones they can)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think Shartfield is going to do well on PS5. The game's word of mouth is horrendous and everyone has moved on. Hellblade 2 is a walking sim, who cares. MS is probably already ready to write that game's development costs off. If Indy is good it will be a big hit. Yet, I think MS will seriously considering launching it on PS5 very quickly, maybe very very quickly if you get my drift.

Last edited:

Trunim

Uuuh...Starfield? Keep that shit away from PS. Why would you even consider that as something of value? Are people still in denial?

clarky

Gold Member
Uuuh...Starfield? Keep that shit away from PS. Why would you even consider that as something of value? Are people still in denial?
LOL did Starfield hurt your mommy or something?

If you can look past some glaring flaws Starfield is actual a good time. I really enjoyed it on PC with a few mods. I'd a imagine a game of the year type edition would do really well on PS.

Topher

Gold Member
I think you are confused about what port begging means. OP literally didn’t ask for any of them in their post. You are reaching.

Or are you specifically referring to the thread title? If so, that’s confusing because you quoted the content of the OP and not the thread title.

The crying over "port begging" has become more cringe-worthy than the "port begging" itself, mostly because, as you point out, the catch phrase is thrown out even when it doesn't apply.

When Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush was coming out on Xbox, didn't we hear articles from the devs that Gamepass allows for these smaller games to be made. How does this reconcile with it now going on Playstation? Are small games gone going forward?
What are you getting at Dick?

jm89

As a PC primary player, I say Microsoft holds major releases from PlayStation until Sony releases Bloodborne on PC. Get it done, Phil.
Playstation won't give too shits if MS witholds major releases from playstation.

There is only one game that playstation really cares about and that's call of duty and they have a contract for that for 10 years.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If all Xbox games are destined to go to the PS5 (which I don't think will happen), having them come out a year before, and on game pass day 1, is pretty good incentive to keep an Xbox console, IMO

People laugh, but that could pay off very well for them. And if it does pay off, well…that could shake things up.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Takes time to make a ps5 port and it would be stupid of MS to announce and/or release them all at once.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
My brother im sorry but if you want to play these top games your going to have to buy the most powerfull console in the world, tje Xbox Series X, the community is amazing aswell, 98% alpha males and we talk aboit lifting weights all the time while playing macho games.

Topher

Gold Member
If all Xbox games are destined to go to the PS5 (which I don't think will happen), having them come out a year before, and on game pass day 1, is pretty good incentive to keep an Xbox console, IMO

Same basic strategy Sony seems to be going with their PC ports.

mrcroket

Considering that sea of thieves is pre-selling great even coming out 6 years later on playstation I see less and less likely the idea of day one on playstation.

It's clear that microsoft's strategy is to release all their games sooner or later on other platforms, but my bet is that they will do it maybe a year later. Especially considering that they intend to keep releasing hardware.

T-0800

I don't think that these niche titles (Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, SOT) will do the trick. I am just a gamer and I know this, so a trillion-dollar corporation has to know this too. There can be no other way. Of those 3 titles which one do you think will be the true barometer of success for supporting PlayStation?
Remember when Mass Effect 3 launched on Wii U?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I think you are confused about what port begging means. OP literally didn’t ask for any of them in their post. You are reaching.

Or are you specifically referring to the thread title? If so, that’s confusing because you quoted the content of the OP and not the thread title.
The fact that you, S Sacred , are laughing at my replies, with no actual reply is more proof you are trying to stir shit up. I promise the console war bait isn’t going to end well for you on Gaf 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
You mean like this?
I just ordered a steam deck to bum off my “Steam family”.

But I stand by pc gamers begging to get some older PlayStation titles isn’t so “master race”. Can’t game in the present for $400?

And I bought a $150 Series S to play Xbox games in the present.

Last edited:
I don't think that these niche titles (Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, SOT) will do the trick. I am just a gamer and I know this, so a trillion-dollar corporation has to know this too. There can be no other way. Of those 3 titles which one do you think will be the true barometer of success for supporting PlayStation?
You're like the uninvited family member who stays too long and takes more than they should while doing it.

Trunim

LOL did Starfield hurt your mommy or something?

If you can look past some glaring flaws Starfield is actual a good time. I really enjoyed it on PC with a few mods. I'd a imagine a game of the year type edition would do really well on PS.
Ah yes, can't wait for the GOTY edition. I admire your optimism, and thanks for answering my question.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Make a gears collection for Phil's sake. Don't even port it to Playstation, just make it.

Last edited:

vkbest

This is so silly stupid there is a. Easy fix and I don’t know why it’s not already a thing on all consoles.

First party titles release on pc and their console first. 1 year from release they are released on competitive consoles.

This accomplishes two things. It’s generated income for first party studios and increases console sales.

It allows the price drop to happen also improving sales within the first year, than the game comes out full price on competitors system generating interest and full value for new gamers.

This fills all the needs for everyone. Why they don’t do this beyond me and stupid.
It’s not silly, it’s a pretty bad idea. Releasing games later simply destroy the impact of release, also releasing games at launch destroy your hardware business. That is the reason I think Sony PC strategy will fail. You can’t get everything.

Sony and MS will have to decide what sacrifice they have to do.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Sony is not day and date on PC nor are they trending quicker or communicating they ever will
No lies detected. But I'd expect the ports to speed up a bit. Look at Burning Shores that's less than a year old. I think once they have run out of older stuff to port, newer releases will come to PC in 18 months or less.

Obviously I pulled this out of my arse, but that's what I think will happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom