• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game Story Ever

FFXIII

Something is seriously wrong if I get to the ending and I don't give a shit about what happens and what happens to the cast, rather I wanted them to die. I've never felt that way about any game before.

phillax

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Easily MGS4.

2ppf13twuz2.jpg

also: bananamachines.

Never played this game
or non in the series
. But is this really the whole story and ending of this game?

Crakatak187 said:
FFXIII

Something is seriously wrong if I get to the ending and I don't give a shit about what happens and what happens to the cast, rather I wanted them to die. I've never felt that way about any game before.

Such a shame that such beautiful visuals are wasted on such an average "game".

jett said:
Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg

So bad it retroactively ruins the entire franchise.

This is the sad truth, at least for me. The awful in MGS4 was so bad that it literally did retroactively ruin the entire franchise for me in a fashion. I can't ever look at it the same, it's even hard to hold on to my nostalgic memories when it's shat upon in such a blatant fashion. I couldn't handle MGS4, beating it was painful, Kojima is certifiably nuts. I could never take an MGS game seriously again. That's honesty. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back to play the older games and enjoy them as well (and not to say they didn't have their own hiccups..), but MGS4 literally set the bar for awful in my book. I couldn't believe it....

phillax said:
Never played this game
or non in the series

If you want my opinion, the image is hilarious and definitely sums up the frustrations, but it doesn't hold a candle to experiencing the awfulness first hand. It's just bad.

geebee said:
MGS 4. Complete and utter bullshit. I seriously felt insulted after finishing it and doubt Kojima can come up with a decent story again. He'll have to come up with a damn good story for a new Snatcher for me to be interested in anything he does from here on out. The man is insane.

Insulting is a great word to use and I can relate entirely to that feeling.

ezekial45

Banned
phillax said:
Never played this game
or non in the series

There's a lot of stuff that happened before that (three main installments and a bunch of side story games), but yeah that's pretty much the ending to MGS4. The other games are still awesome though, MGS3 in particular stands out.

Condemned 2.

230284-a_super.jpg

Just... incomprehensible. WHAT THE FUCK WAS GOING ON?

I'd also agree with Heavy Rain... it was decent until the final act where everything just implodes on itself.

geebee

Banned
MGS 4. Complete and utter bullshit. I seriously felt insulted after finishing it and doubt Kojima can come up with a decent story again. He'll have to come up with a damn good story for a new Snatcher for me to be interested in anything he does from here on out. The man is insane.

Caerith

-Winnie- said:
KH1 had an innocence to it, fused Disney worlds with a JRPG charm and was well-contained. It wasn't until KH2 that shit started getting weird and convoluted.
Pretty much this. It pretty much parallels the Matrix: first is pretty good if you just except the magic as an excuse plot. Then it tries to explain it and falls apart.

But since that's been done...

t5ByH.jpg

So much praise was heaped on the heap of tihs known as One Chance.

One Chance is a flash adventure game where you play as some scientist who cures cancer but oh wait the cure is a horrible disease that will wipe out humanity. You have like a week to do whatever you want to, and then you can't play the game anymore because it blocks you so you really only get that one chance.

Unless you clear your cache I mean.

The first time I played through, everyone died. So, naturally, I cleared my cache and played through every possible iteration to see all the endings. And they make no sense.

Scenario 1: Play through the game like you don't care you're going to die. You cheat on your wife who then leaves you and basically don't even try to find a cure.

Scenario 2: Work for a cure. Except your co-workers locked the door to the lab and you aren't allowed to even ask them for the key until the second to last day when someone just hands it to you. While you're working, your wife suicides. Everyone dies but you.

Scenario 3: Stay with your wife. Your wife doesn't leave you. She doesn't commit suicide. Because the author didn't think you'd actually spend time with her, she simply ceases to exist after a few days.

Etc.

I know crappy flash games are nothing new, but very few of them go viral and get the kind of praise this one did. Despite everything I'd heard about it, there's nothing "brilliant" about it. And the spelling is atrocious!

(I know this probably doesn't count, but I'll let someone else discuss Final Fantasy X.)

mango drank

Generic said:
MW2 analysis

Ahahah. I never thought of it that way.

More of the posts on here should be more detailed explanations of why the poster thinks it sucks, pointing out plot holes and other flaws, like the OP. It's no good to just name-drop a game and leave. WHAT about the story sucks?

The 3rd Birthday.

It takes a special sort of horrible to out-stupid the entire Kingdom Hearts series in a single game.

I do enjoy the KH series though, retarded plot and all.

Edit:
Equus Bellator Apex said:
I'm sorry...
51CSHM2wtEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I had heard horrible stuff about Disc 2, so I was expecting the worst when I played through the PSN version. I think a lot of the animosity towards it stems from the game throwing a lot (and I mean a lot) of shit at you at once, and you're just kinda expected to take it at face value.

Definitely not the worst ever, but Planescape Torment's bored the shit out of me. It could've just been people building it up to be the second coming or something, but damn.

Star Ocean 4 and Grandia 3 are also pretty bad. The former is self explanatory and the latter didn't feel complete at all. Several plot holes, REALLY stupid villain motivations, and various characters disappearances with NO EXPLANATION. It sucks because it started out with such promise before becoming a directionless mess that goes beyond cliche. Of course I still love the battle system and would take a Grandia 4 in an instant if Game Arts decided to stop screwing around.

Fou-Lu

I personally love the storyline in KH, I wouldn't even call it a guilty pleasure because I don't feel guilty for it.

It's like all the jrpgs, cartoons and animes I played and watched as a kid in a game that I'm addicted to playing.

I'd personally have to say Star Ocean 4 for reasons already mentioned has the worst story.

cosmicblizzard said:
Star Ocean 4 and Grandia 3 are also pretty bad. The former is self explanatory and the latter didn't feel complete at all. Several plot holes, REALLY stupid villain motivations, and it just didn't feel complete at all with various characters disappearing with NO EXPLANATION. Of course I still love the battle system and would take a Grandia 4 in an instant if Game Arts decided to stop screwing around.

Fuck yes. Though I enjoyed the battle system in 2 more than 3, still, love Grandia combat, who the fuck cares about the story?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Mass Effect. Future humanity's greatest aspiration is to join the interstellar Gestapo. Ridiculous.

And i know its not the worst ever but my other picks have been said.

Veelk

Banned
brohmbel said:
Ahahah. I never thought of it that way.

More of the posts on here should be more detailed explanations of why the poster thinks it sucks, pointing out plot holes and other flaws, like the OP. It's no good to just name-drop a game and leave. WHAT about the story sucks?
Yeah, pretty much what I wanted when I started this thread. It's even in the rules, but no one seems to want to bother. :(

water_wendi said:
Mass Effect. Future humanity's greatest aspiration is to join the interstellar Gestapo. Ridiculous.

Bu-bu-b-b-b-but if you're a Paragon you use your power for good!!

Ichor said:
Fuck yes. Though I enjoyed the battle system in 2 more than 3, still, love Grandia combat, who the fuck cares about the story?

I actually really liked the story in 2. Now keep in mind I was 14 at the time, but I actually gave a shit about the characters and all that. Melfice and Millenia are very memorable imo.

Soul_Pie

The new ninja gaiden games, I'm not sure if it qualifies considering the guidelines of the original post but it has a lot of cutscenes. The focus is clearly on action and the genre isn't renowned for having great stories but I don't think it should be let off scot free for that. They are amazing games gameplay wise, some of the best ever but the storyline just gives me the irrates.

The story is just such a load of inane garbage, the settings are so confused with bizarre mixes of real life locations and then fictional places, the characters are utterly woeful and the dialogue is cringeworthy. The second game actually managed to have a worse story than the first one which must have been an effort in itself.

It's this kind of thing that really annoys me, if you're just going to throw a whole heap of shit at the player in terms of storyline then don't even bother with a storyline at all, just make it ultra minimalistic in the vein of old school games. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

eXistor

Fahrenheit is definitely up there. Also FFX.

Fahrenheit had a decent enough set-up and I'll admit that most of the story is a blur to me right now, but how badly they fucked up at the end where
you end up falling in love with a supposed serial-killer (and given no reason to) and then going all DBZ on the real bad-guys ass was just too much for me

FFX is another one that if told to summarize I wouldn't be able to.

From what I've seen from people, Star Ocean IV seems to be the clear victor.

Vanquish is indeed awful.

Personally the worst story I've suffered through this year was Last Story.

Undubbed

phillax said:
No mater how bad the plots are in each installment people will still line to buy them.

Are we talking about Kingdom Hearts: The Movie here? Cause I'm sure there's...a game somewhere in there. That's actually pretty darn good!

man/man

Banned
water_wendi said:

Thank you, I'm not alone in thinking Mass Effect's story is downright laughable and B-movie. I lol at people who think Bioware are masters of storytelling.

vireland

Without question. The most BS, nonsense story in a 21st century RPG. Ugh. I kept hoping it would get better, and then the END came, and it was the WORST, most nonsensical, BS part of all.

eternalsonatatxbox360boxart_160w.jpg

Recarpo

BigJiantRobut said:
I guess it's not fair to rip on games that are just bad all around, but how about this shit?

DINNER DINNER DINNER DINNER

That's the only part of that game I remember. Apparently the gameplay and story wasn't interesting enough but the most obnoxious cutscene in the game is burned into my head.

maomaoIYP

The only real answer for me in Heavy Rain.

As terrible as the stories are in MGS4, Bayonetta, or even the adventures of goddammned Egde Maverick, technically you can ignore the story and still have a reasonably good time playing with the actual mechanics of the game.

Heavy Rain is nothing but a series of 6 hrs worth of quicktime events bringing you from one nonsensical section to the next.

Sophia

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I had heard horrible stuff about Disc 2, so I was expecting the worst when I played through the PSN version. I think a lot of the animosity towards it stems from the game throwing a lot (and I mean a lot) of shit at you at once, and you're just kinda expected to take it at face value.

You have a valid point. Disc 2 does have it's issues, but hardly worth even being mentioned in a thread called worst game story ever. With no explanation.

It almost makes me wish it had the features of Xenosaga. Cutscene replay and databases go a long way to help explaining such stuff. :\

vireland said:
Without question. The most BS, nonsense story in a 21st century RPG. Ugh. I kept hoping it would get better, and then the END came, and it was the WORST, most nonsensical, BS part of all.

[IMG ]http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/object/761/761569/eternalsonatatxbox360boxart_160w.jpg[/IMG]

Shame such a beautiful soundtrack was wasted on such a terrible game. "Kyoutenka" and "Pyroxene of the heart" are some of Sakuraba's better works.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
BigJiantRobut said:
I guess it's not fair to rip on games that are just bad all around, but how about this shit?

DINNER DINNER DINNER DINNER

Good god, between this and the Star Ocean 4 video that was posted, I'm glad I don't play these games in English anymore. At least in Japanese the plot doesn't seem so bad with decent voice acting (not that anything can make SO4's plot good...)

Generic said:
This plot was....completely incomprehensible. It was nothing more than continuing series of shit blowing up with no logical reason or flow connecting the events.
When I read the thread title, MW2 was the first game I thought of for this same reason.

vireland said:

eternalsonatatxbox360boxart_160w.jpg

Yeah, I didn't really know what was going on at the end, but it went ON and ON and ON.

Phonomezer said:
About as dire as this (FFXIII spoilers)

The funny thing about IU and FFXIII is that they both had decent battle systems.

"Well, y'know. Sometimes you hafta lie about stuff.... at the end of the day though, it's not the lie that matters but what you do after you tell it"

I want to kill myself

Fou-Lu

cosmicblizzard said:
I actually really liked the story in 2. Now keep in mind I was 14 at the time, but I actually gave a shit about the characters and all that. Melfice and Millenia are very memorable imo.

I actually agree, it was way better than 3 and if nothing else the characters were great for a JRPG, I wanted to see where they ended up. Still the battle system is what makes Grandia amazing.

Top Bottom