• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Wrestlemania 28 |OT| WWE is having another Big Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure how well the "Attitude" era stuff would sell to today's audiences. I get the feeling most teens would think it was lame. We ate it up because it was so crazy to see guys cursing on TV and beating up McMahon. It would be old hat now. I know people say going PG has killed WWE, but I wonder if it is really their only option these days.

It's definitely not PG, it's how neutered everyone is in the ring. A lot of Attitude Era-stories were shit, but nearly the entire roster could go in the ring.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Well thats pointing out the one diamond in the coal mine, before they wrecked everything afterwards anyway. As far as the Wrestlemania's go though, I didn't think this was any worse than the past few years,

I agree this was not worse than last years, but it's probably because last year was so bad. This year my expectations were lower so I wasn't expecting much but the bad was just so bad it really soured the rest of the show.

Also, since there were reports of Vince doing rewrites as late as today, how many of you think that Rock going over Cena was a last minute rewrite?

For the last year, your hero (Dwayne) has done everything you grew to hate Cena for - and more. You are cheering one man, and booing another, yet they both are exactly the same.
Except the difference in talent level & charisma between the two is so vast that our hero (Dwayne) can get away with it,

Ripclawe

Banned
For the last year, your hero (Dwayne) has done everything you grew to hate Cena for - and more. You are cheering one man, and booing another, yet they both are exactly the same.

ibsnt6esnjzaskw1big.gif

Off of work....I read everything on pwinsider.....

I lol'd at the ME...

Also....I see Heavy has returned to the realm of wrasslegaf looooooool

On the bus from the event....wow amazing hot finish!! It was like a last second superbowl win victory celebration. Its safe to say the first hour was one the worse hours in mania history...the crowd was HOT for bryan...fuck you vince!! The last 3 hours made up for it though. They werent instant classics but they were extremely fun and memorable. Not sure how it was on ppv but i'm going to give a solid B+ and one of my favorite crowds. Cons - no opening pyro the crowd was confused...The troll job of poor bryan fuck u vince...even though the crowd was hot mama clay was fucking horrible...thats about it really.

Yeah, I don't care. I'm admittedly stuck in the past when it comes to wrasslin. I'm an unapologetic Attitude Era mark and proud of it.

Edit: STONE COLD! STONE COLD!

RBH

Problem is 2 fold.

1) none of the current crop (outside of Punk, Miz and Wade Barrett) are interesting on the mic and in ring. Their gimmicks aren't interesting and the hard edged image of the Attitude Era is dead because

2) TV-14. The G Rated programming can't hold a candle to the Vince Russo booking of the 90s and 00s. No asskickers, no bad asses. All those guys are gone, man. Plus, when wCw died, there was no reason to up their game. They won but in reality, competition is good.

I actually don't have any problem with TV-PG. WCW '96-'98 was TV-PG, yet it turned out to be one of the most entertaining periods for any wrestling company. It all comes down to the roster and how they're made to look, and in my opinion, the current roster for the WWE is at its weakest point in a long time. Ratings and buyrates will continue to fall as long as they continue to neglect building up the young guys. I agree that alot of the current roster is not exactly compelling right now, but I'd like to see them be given the ball and see what they could do. At some point, they're going to have to do that because the "old guys" won't be there forever.

Anth0ny

It's definitely not PG, it's how neutered everyone is in the ring. A lot of Attitude Era-stories were shit, but nearly the entire roster could go in the ring.

Pretty much. Has nothing to do with the Attitude Era stories. Writing today sucks, Vince has lost his damn mind, and the talent can't cut it in the ring or on the mic.

Of course, there's exceptions. But in the Attitude Era, the entire card from top to bottom was stacked with awesome workers.

I'm not so sure how well the "Attitude" era stuff would sell to today's audiences. I get the feeling most teens would think it was lame. We ate it up because it was so crazy to see guys cursing on TV and beating up McMahon. It would be old hat now. I know people say going PG has killed WWE, but I wonder if it is really their only option these days.

Today's generation already find the WWE to be lame as it is. The issue is, there is still enough interest from the Attitude Generation that still go to shows, buy merchandise and watch the television programming. These fans are being under-served and there is backlash at shows (Cena Sucks chants) because to them, this feels counterfeit. That's why, imo, a guy like CM Punk gets over the way he did. He represents some semblance of the Attitude Era (feuding with management, speaking his mind, cutting amazing promos), but it's the same reason Miz doesn't get over. He has great mic skills but his "AWESOME" schtick feels like a counterfeit version of The Rock.

The fire isn't there.

That's why when matches like HHH/Taker are booked, interest goes up. When the Rock returns, interest goes up. Austin, etc.

Today's WWE is product that isn't focused. They are just trying to see what works and ride that to see if it becomes the next big thing, ala Punk.

TheNatural

My Member!
Problem is 2 fold.

1) none of the current crop (outside of Punk, Miz and Wade Barrett) are interesting on the mic and in ring. Their gimmicks aren't interesting and the hard edged image of the Attitude Era is dead because

2) TV-14. The G Rated programming can't hold a candle to the Vince Russo booking of the 90s and 00s. No asskickers, no bad asses. All those guys are gone, man. Plus, when wCw died, there was no reason to up their game. They won but in reality, competition is good.

It doesn't have to be TV-MA but the PG mentality has changed what makes wrestling good. Wrestling can be good being PG, but when it went PG their thought process went like "well no more intense raunchy build ups? so no build ups period" "no more crazy out of ring antics to get people talking? ok so nothing out of the ring period."

And that's what you have now, nothing interesting ever happens in a feud, because nothing happens, period.

And then by if some fluke they back their way into something somewhat decent they will beat it into the fucking ground like you wouldn't believe and make sure to destroy anything once interesting about it by pointing at it and milking every ounce of life out of it.

Punk's worked shoot last year? Well it was so cool, and he brought up inside stuff on Johnny Ace, so we have to make him a character now, and he brought up how Vince is horrible running the company, so we have to make that a plot and bring back Triple H, and he said ice cream bars, so we have to make a T shirt.

There's your problem right there. It's not even wrestling anymore, it's a big ass infomercial that leads into an empty result, over and over again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You don't nessisarily have to re-create the attitude era, but TV-14 most definitely give room for better story lines.

A lot of popular TV shows are TV-14. Walking Dead, How I Met Your Mother, Big bang Theory, Two And A Half Men, every Late Night Talk Show, etc.

Except the difference in talent level & charisma between the two is so vast that our hero (Dwayne) can get away with it,

Nothing Dwayne has done in the past 12 months have been anything more than pandering to a lost audience.

Everything out of his mouth has been either useless catchphrases to get a pop, or a rewriting of a old skit because they were afraid to step away from the olden days.

However, with the choice of going that direction, it is now glaring obvious to everyone that current day Rock is no where near the level he used to be - his improv skills are shot, and he needs a script for almost the majority of his current work.

Anth0ny

Nothing Dwayne has done in the past 12 months have been anything more than pandering to a lost audience.

Everything out of his mouth has been either useless catchphrases to get a pop, or a rewriting of a old skit because they were afraid to step away from the olden days.

However, with the choice of going that direction, it is now glaring obvious to everyone that current day Rock is no where near the level he used to be - his improv skills are shot, and he needs a script for almost the majority of his current work.

but he's The Rock.

MoosiferX

At least Taker/HHH, CM Punk/Jericho were great...

How does one go about dealing with massive Wrestlemania disappointment? Am I supposed to boycott watching WWE? Rock and Cena (which I was actually really excited for) was a complete letdown. Plus 2 years in a row now, the match I was most excited for was essentially non-existent. Poor D-Bry and Sheamus.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Problem is 2 fold.

Miz WAS good, but he's started partying regularly and fallen off a bit. You forgot to mention Cody and Dolph, btw.

HeySeuss

Bryan getting squashed was hilarious. Everybody I was watching it with laughed longer than 18 seconds straight.

There's a saying for people like Bryan. He out kicked his coverage.

All on all I thought it was decent. I wanted Jericho to win, but they should have a rematch so its not a total loss. Rock winning was good and hopefully puts the final nail in cenas heel turn. And the crowd booing P Diddy and Flo Rida was great.

At least Taker/HHH, CM Punk/Jericho were great...

How does one go about dealing with massive Wrestlemania disappointment? Am I supposed to boycott watching WWE? Rock and Cena (which I was actually really excited for) was a complete letdown. Plus 2 years in a row now, the match I was most excited for was essentially non-existent. Poor D-Bry and Sheamus.

Do what I'm doing:

1. Watch Game of Thrones, Mad Men, or whatever floats your boat and get as far from wrestling as you possibly can.

2. Watch some old wrestling, or new Indy/Japanese stuff over the next week to see if you actually do still like wrestling at all.

3. Keep coming back to get kicked in the mouth over and over for the next year and repeat this cycle, or just stop watching.

Thus far I've yet to stop watching so shame on me, I guess.

Cagey

Banned
Twenty plus minutes of promo on a PPV

Twenty minutes of concert performances.

Five minutes of BroduS Clay's mama dance troupe.

Five minutes of commercials.

And Bryan was given 8 seconds

Vince can eat a giant dick

Also, someone mentioned that competition is good. And he's right. For as much shit that I give TNA, I also desperately want them to succeed. But they're never going to succeed as long as Hogan, Bischoff, Sting, and most of the others stick around sucking out money.

Maybe because I saw it with other people instead of infront of my computer at a Bar but it was overall a lot of fun. Some awesome matches (HHH/Undertaker MOTN followed by Punk/Jericho) and some big upsets (Daniel Bryan, Rock over Cena IMO) but overall a lot of fun and everyone was into it.

Also, someone mentioned that competition is good. And he's right. For as much shit that I give TNA, I also desperately want them to succeed. But they're never going to succeed as long as Hogan, Bischoff, Sting, and most of the others stick around sucking out money.

I said it.

People forget that the whole reason the Attitude Era was even needed was because the wCw was upping the ante with The Outsiders and Hogan. The WWF had to compete or risk getting overtaken.

The wCw was beating them in the ratings constantly.

Now?

They are in a foot race with themselves.

lol. Nothing he's done right now is anymore different than he's done in the past. He's always had stupid catchphrases and kissed the crowds ass. He's as scripted as he always had. I remeber he called coach one time "popcorn fart" or some stupid shit like that.

He was just as cheesy in the past as Cena is today. The only difference like I said, is TALENT. The Rock is a once in a generational talent that could pull of some of the stupidest shit and get away with it. His charisma is off the charts. The Rock establishing a successful movie career attest to that. Cena is not in the same league.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Good and bad surprises.

Daniel Bryan lost the World Heavyweight Championship to Sheamus in LITERALLY 18 seconds.

Kane beat Orton.

Big Show beat Cody Rhodes for the Intercontinental Championship.

We had some stupid product placement commercials, a terrible diva celebrity match, and a random-ass Funkasaurus dance number with a bunch of women dressed as black "mamas".

CM Punk retained against Chris Jericho in a match that started slow and became an exciting submission-fest near the end.

Undertaker beat HHH in a pretty good HIAC match that really had no reason to be HIAC instead of just no-DQ. They played up the three of them like it was everybody's last match.

Rock, shockingly, beat Cena clean.

Thanks for the responses everyone and wow at the results.
Dissapointed D. Brine and Rhodes lost =(. Course I was only excited for the Punk-Y2J match and Cena vs Rock. Damn WWE killed any hype I had otherwise with such terrible buildup even though Rhodes was damn entertaining with his promos.

MoosiferX

Do what I'm doing:

1. Watch Game of Thrones, Mad Men, or whatever floats your boat and get as far from wrestling as you possibly can.

2. Watch some old wrestling, or new Indy/Japanese stuff over the next week to see if you actually do still like wrestling at all.

3. Keep coming back to get kicked in the mouth over and over for the next year and repeat this cycle, or just stop watching.

Thus far I've yet to stop watching so shame on me, I guess.

Hahah! Sage advice. I'm going to go fall asleep to like, Wrestlemania IV, and I'm sure I'll be back next week to get my mouth kicked in. xD

lol. Nothing he's done right now is anymore different than he's done in the past. He's always had stupid catchphrases and kissed the crowds ass. He's as scripted as he always had. I remeber he called coach one time "popcorn fart" or some stupid shit like that.

He was just as cheesy in the past as Cena is today. The only difference like I said, is TALENT. The Rock is a once in a generational talent that could pull of some of the stupidest shit and get away with it. His charisma is off the charts. The Rock establishing a successful movie career attest to that. Cena is not in the same league.

He was fun in the old days. but he is no longer showcasing that talent. Nothing in the past 12 months touches anything in his past - I agree he was good back then, as there is no denying that,

Back then, he could turn a shitty story-line into something great, but based on his performances over the past 12 months (in particular over March) he cannot do that any more. Nothing in his current promos stands out anymore. He no longer reacts to the crowd , instead he panders to them - exactly the same way Cena does.

People wanted Rock back to offer something different, but the new Rock is no different than current day Cena

The past 4 weeks have been nothing but both men showcasing like for like promos, with not one of them anything more than average

The core of what I am saying, is that both Rock and Cena were once great, and more importantly unique.

Now they are nothing more than generic WWE face characters

RBH

On the bright side, I thought the pre-show match was actually pretty decent. Good work from all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom