• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE brings back Starrcade for Network Special - November 25th

*Might not be Network Special. But Bleeding Cool says it is - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/18/wwe-bringing-back-classic-wcw-ppv-starcade-network-special-november/

I know I saw it when I originally found the details but it seems the Network special info is nowhere to be found now. Maybe it was pulled?

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/article/starrcade-2017-greensboro

Starrcade is back, and for the first time in 30 years, it's coming home.

On Saturday, Nov. 25, during Thanksgiving weekend, Starrcade returns when the Superstars of SmackDown LIVE descend on Greensboro, N.C., for a historic event at the Greensboro Coliseum.

The premier event of the National Wrestling Alliance and, later, WCW, Starrcade got its start in Greensboro on Thanksgiving 1983 with a star-studded lineup that saw Ric Flair defeat Harley Race to win his second of 16 World Championships. Starrcade remained in Greensboro through 1986 and was the stage on which legendary performers like Dusty Rhodes, The Four Horsemen, Magnum TA, The Rock ‘n' Roll Express and many more etched their names into sports-entertainment history.

As the calendar turned to the 1990s, a new generation of competitors emerged to take the Starrcade spotlight, like Sting, Vader and the nWo. The last edition of Starrcade under the WCW banner took place in December 2000.

Watch every Starrcade on WWE Network

Now, fans in Greensboro will get the opportunity to be a part of history, as Starrcade returns with an absolutely stacked card featuring two Steel Cage Matches. Matches announced* for the return of Starrcade include:

WWE Championship Steel Cage Match
Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

SmackDown Women's Championship Steel Cage Match
Natalya vs. Charlotte Flair

United States Championship Triple Threat Match
AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin vs. Rusev

SmackDown Tag Team Championship Texas Tornado Match
The New Day vs. The Usos

Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens

Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler

Breezango vs Aiden English & Mike Kanellis w/ Maria Kanellis

The Hardy Boyz are also confirmed to appear at Starrcade in their home state of North Carolina, as are WWE Hall of Famers and Starrcade legends Ricky ”The Dragon" Steamboat and The Rock ‘n' Roll Express!

Tickets for Starrcade will be available starting Friday, Sept. 29, at 10 a.m. ET at Ticketmaster. Don't miss your chance to be a part of history as Starrcade returns!

*Talent and matches listed and depicted above are subject to change.

WCW Forever!

375px-WWE_Starrcade_logo.jpg

That's pretty awesome. At first I thought it'd just be a name, but if they're doing it in Greensborough on Thanksgiving weekend, it makes sense.

Cool nod, and it beats the heck out of 'great balls of fire' as a PPV name.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vince created this thing and had his workers have to be away from their families just so when it has record low attendance he can go "SEE I TOLD YOU WCW COULDNT DRAW SHIT"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty exciting, I think it'll be a great show.

norm9

Love Starrcade. I have fond feelings about the round robin tournament edition of Starrcade that had Sting, Flair, Great Muta, Doom, etc. but when I looked at reviews (they all seem like retroactive reviews), it was universally shit upon.

Next bring back Wargames and the Great American Bash.

rip to shinsuke when mahal injures him in the cage.

LOOK, UP IN THE RAFTERS! IT'S STANNNNG! STANG IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

NO, IT'S BOGUS STANG.. STANG IS NOT HERE TONIGHT.

WAIT, THAT'S THE REAL ONE! THE REAL STANG IS HERE! BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP BIG TIME! THAT'S ALL THE TIME WE HAVE LEFT, FOLKS! WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!

DMczaf

Please give me a Ric Flair/Mean Gene promo

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEANNNNN BAH GAWD BAH GAWD BAH GAWD GENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We are in Greensboro, North Carolinah and baby we lookin good! WOO!!!

WAIT, THAT'S THE REAL ONE! THE REAL STANG IS HERE! BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP BIG TIME! THAT'S ALL THE TIME WE HAVE LEFT, FOLKS! WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!

Maybe the missing Sting statue will finally reappear.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Weird that they have the card already announced.

That's not Sting that's just a picture of Sting

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I know it's been done to death, but Owens vs Zayn matches are always fun. Even if it's bad, it's good for one Sami trying to kill Owens spot.

DeathyBoy

Banned
At the end of November. They should switch out Hell in a Cell with Halloween Havoc. I hate that the Cell has its own PPV. It's overused and loses it's prestige.

It has no prestige.

They killed HIAC nearly two decades ago when they ran it on Raw and Boss Man vs Taker.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shane is going to be at Hell in a Cell and probably jump off of something though

18-Volt

nice card, but I'm tired of Uso vs New Day feud. They've been feuding since like forever. Should have been Gable & Benjamin instead of New Day. While this feud is progressing, New Day need to sideline a little while and be repackaged for their return. I think their second heel turn is due.

bigkrev

It's weird that they never actually say in that Article that it's going to be on the Network. It says you can watch all previous ones on the Network, it says Fans in Greenville can see it live.... but nothing about actually airing on the Network. The closest thing is "It's coming Home", but then the next sentance talks about how it hasn't been in Greensville, where it started, in over 30 years.

Weird that they have the card already announced.

I mean, it's just a House Show. They often give House Shows wacky names- Wrestlemania Revenge was the name of one I went to a few years ago. And House Shows usually have tenative cards advertising a couple months before the event.

Top Bottom