• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Battleground '17 |OT| A Canadian, Bulgarian, and Maharajah walk into a bar...

fhqwhgads

skysports-wwe-battleground_2017.jpg

When: 23rd July at 8PM Eastern and 5PM Pacific
Where: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Watch: On Pay Per View or WWE Network
I kinda wish they used the promo art from the first ads for Battleground where they had the wrestlers in face paint and stuff to match their character. It was nice and colourful but now it's all "Rah Rah non americans bad" and I dunno it's gonna be weird.

20170718_BG_DillingerEnglish--5d0f122503710958936a2327bbab756d.jpg

Preshow Match: Tye Dillinger Vs. Aiden English
It's bizarre to me that English has had more time on TV than Dillinger has. If that doesn't tell you how fucked up Smackdown's midcard is I dunno what will.

20170718_SD_v_breezango--f17d66bfd37c353f6823fca388389339.jpg

Breezango Vs. The Culprit(s)
Months of expert detective work, cunning disguises and a deceased horse (RIP Tully), the Fashion Police may finally have their perpetrators brought to justice.

Metals-WWE-4in-w2-SamiZayn-01-1030x687.jpg

Sami Zayn Vs. Mike Kanellis
The match image on the site wouldn't load so here's a placeholder. They fought already and Sami lost. Apparently Mike's finisher is "The Punch of Love", reminds me of William Regal's "Power of the Punch" except with less brass knuckles.

20170718_BG_WomansEliminationMatch--0eeca5d5e610a780dae777c21e2bff77.jpg

Fatal Five Way to determine the Number One Contender for the Smackdown Women's Championship: Tamina Vs. Natalya Vs. Charlotte Vs. Lana Vs. Becky Lynch
They have absolutely no faith in Naomi do they? She's done nothing note worthy and she's not even getting spots on PPV cards anymore. Whoever wins is pretty much guaranteed to take the title off her.

20170718_BG_KOAJ--1ac729fd0da141ee851d38aea0e82c90.jpg

United States Championship Match: Aj Styles Vs. Kevin Owens
See the match didn't change after all? Some of you got too hot under the collar over AJ winning. Nothing got messed up, everything is hunky dory.

20170718_BG_NakamuraCorbin--e9f9c7249b6efaf7f8e8e97715f30d1d.jpg

Shinsuke Nakamura Vs. Baron Corbin
You say wasting Nakamura's talent, I say not blowing their load all in one go. I know you all want AJ Vs. Nakamura right now, but you gotta slow burn this stuff.

20170718_BG_TagMatch--1f07e202f13843ccee55bdc8b0f51e19.jpg

Smackdown Tag Team Championship Match: The Usos Vs. The New Day
If you haven't seen the rap battle segment yet, you should go watch it. It'll make you feel good about this feud regardless of how it turns out.

20170718_BG_CenaRusev--b81faf27bf71a53559471c553548092a.jpg

Flag Match: John Cena Vs. Rusev
Stay strong. Don't cry for Rusev. He's been through this pain before. He knows the turmoil of being the foreign heel. He will persevere and maybe Cena will make him look strong. It'll all be over soon.

20170718_BG_MahalOrton--6a1668911d16e02d4e052dc69040783d.jpg

Punjabi Prison Match for the WWE Championship: Jinder Mahal Vs. Randy Orton
Remember when we joked about them bringing back this match? Remember when the first Punjabi Prison happened and Great Khali didn't even wrestle cause he wasn't fit enough to do it?

ReiGun

I'm going into this PPV with no expectations beyond a few fun matches...

...but for the love of God, Lana had better lose the fatal five way.

RBH

How's the ticket sales, Maggle?!

Battleground-tickets-513x500.jpg

With so many tickets left on sale, they discounted Battleground’s least expensive tickets last week. The $125 seats have been cut to $75. The $75 tickets have been cut to $55, and the $55 tickets have been cut to $25. They are pushing that you can get in and see the show for just $25. Even with Cena, the Smackdown PPV shows are harder to sell tickets for than the Raw shows, and even though Philadelphia is an historically good wrestling market, the Wells Fargo Center would hold around 15,000 seats for a PPV, making it larger than most venues they run in.

fhqwhgads

Wait the Women's Champions is not even on the Pay-Per-View?
It's become really obvious they had Naomi win the title just for a feel good "Wrestlemania Moment" cause it was in her hometown and they had no plans for her beyond that. She's been treated really badly and has lost more than she's won as champ.

Shauni

Having a women's belt for Raw and Smackdown really dilutes the pool of one brand, it feels like.

And bringing back that disaster of a match lol, good Lord, WWE.

It's become really obvious they had Naomi win the title just for a feel good "Wrestlemania Moment" cause it was in her hometown and they had no plans for her beyond that. She's been treated really badly and has lost more than she's won as champ.

Once she loses the title next month, Naomi will be back in the jobber women's matches with Natalya and Tamina. Smackdown Women's is Charlotte's world, somebody is high on Carmella and Becky is so over, they could give her the Bayley treatment and still get big pops.

Ronin Ray

They only have like seven women on the roster and the one besides Naomi is the MITB holder so it makes no sense for her to be in the five way or a title match... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I mean you could make it a 4 way and give her a match but reading the posts above it seems like they don't care about her.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
First time seeing any of this lineup, I need get a good snack ready for watching this thread when Baron Corbin beats Nakamura.

Shauni

They really should just move all the women to one brand. I really don't know why they decided to slip them up to begin, but then again, I don't really understand why this company does much of anything they do anymore.

I know sometimes some people say they forgot, but I honestly totally forget this time only for this thread.

Fuck this thread.I did not want to remember.

Proc

This is probably the least hyped I've ever been for a ppv.

I don't mean to shit on it but I'm having a hard time caring about both brands when Raw is stinking.

Syder

This is probably the least hyped I've ever been for a ppv.

I don't mean to shit on it but I'm having a hard time caring about both brands when Raw is stinking.
It's kind of hilarious how I've watched every day of the G1 Climax, undercards included, I even re-watched Day 2 and Day 3, and yet I could only name 2 matches that were on this card before I came in this thread.

SmackDown used to be so good...

pbayne

out of the loop for a while, Only match that sticks out is Naks vs big baron, thatll be something. Lol amazing that the Punjabi bollocks is back, must have a new lego toy set to push or something.

Shauni

out of the loop for a while, Only match that sticks out is Naks vs big baron, thatll be something. Lol amazing that the Punjabi bollocks is back, must have a new lego toy set to push or something.

Yeah, it most certainly will be...something.

J-Rzez

Wasting Nakamura on plebs still I see. Still salty they blew that chance at wrestlemania to have him and AJ go at it.

MC Safety

She's got some charm, but she's not a great wrestler. As champ, she deserves better. But she doesn't deserve to be champ in the first place.

The best thing about Naomi is her entrance. Past that, she does some embarrassing butt-bumps and butt-shakes because that's what the WWE likes. Her hopping kick attack is the dumbest and most awkward move in WWE. The announcers used to damn her with faint praise about how athletic she was, but even that's stopped.

WWE has a Network that can broadcast 24 Hours a Day, and Youtube channel that can probably live stream at anytime, and the likes Twitter, and Periscope, and other things I am too old to know about.

Why not take advantage of that for a MitB cash-in.... and more importantly reintroduce the Hardcore belt with the 24/7 Rule. It does not even need to be that hardocre (bloody) any more. The fun and spontaneity of random live WWE would add a new layer of fun for that belt.

Draxal

They really should just move all the women to one brand. I really don't know why they decided to slip them up to begin, but then again, I don't really understand why this company does much of anything they do anymore.

They really can't do that as they tour separately. Imagine taking your daughter to a househow to see a women's wrestling match but there's none available because they are on the other tour.

They are getting some reinforcements soon though.

Shauni

Another one?
Didnt we just have one last week?

They extended PPVs from 12 a year to 16, I think, something like that.

They really can't do that as they tour separately. Imagine taking your daughter to a househow to see a women's wrestling match but there's none available because they are on the other tour.

They are getting some reinforcements soon though.

I guess this true, but there's just not enough female wrestlers who are quite there yet to fill out both brands and it ends up diluting the efforts on both brands I feel like.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Haven't watched WWE in years, should I tune in?

Also, Jinder Mahal is champ? Didn't he used to be a jobber?

This is all leading up to Super 'Murica Cena defeating that Dirty Foreigner Champion Jinder (And probably Owens too) at SummerSlam, and nothing could make me want to watch the WWE less than that.

Top Bottom