• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Just caught up with this - wow. Cements further my direction this generation. They intentionally strung people along who were banking on this feature to be all their hopes and dreams on the off chance they could keep their mouths shut until launch.

Gross.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You really don't understand that companies spend absurd amounts of money on things like finding out what triggers a shift between potentials and actuals? Even with the practice being entirely recognized and even celebrated? They will say and do anything they have to, to sell you. Profit motive demands it.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one StudioTan.

None what what you said means I'm not being a smart consumer. Being skeptical means you wait until you have all the facts before making a purchase and since this purchase won't be made until Nov there is plenty of time to get all the facts. Being cynical means you assume everything a company is telling you is a lie or half truth when that's simply not the case the majority of the time.

The one thing I was most looking forward to with MS's previous design for the console was being able to purchase discs and then not need them, retail became digital after install. That's the main thing I was pissed about because I've long moved away from wanting to use disc based media, however I prefer to PURCHASE disc based media and then convert it to a format where I don't need it anymore. Yes, I know I can buy all digital like I do on Steam, I just would have preferred it the other way.

But as you said, let's just agree to disagree.

Major Nelson, in reference to "sharing" the new Halo with his off at college son

"[I can tell him] go ahead and download it if you wanna check it out"

lols
A little earlier in the interview...

Angry Joe: "If you have multiple family members at a single time, you only buy one copy and you can have up to ten...?"

Major Nelson: "No, you have to think of it as a library, kinda like exactly as it works today. If you and I are a family, you're dad, I'm the son... you buy it, I can actually check it out and play it, and.. or you can play it. So, it's concuran... think of it as who's ever playing it... one person at a time, just like today".

Kinda like exactly indeed.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
image.php

somewhere, your avatar is listening to you & just shaking his head :) ...

He was always cynical but he went over the deep end near the end, watch his interview with Larry King in the mid 80s, big time conspiracy stuff, that's what a life of cynicism does for you lol.

Ah. Well fuck that then. If it was full game sharing with no timer then it would have been amazing. Thank god they took it all out.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

Angry Joe: "If you have multiple family members at a single time, you only buy one copy and you can have up to ten...?"

Major Nelson: "No, you have to think of it as a library, kinda like exactly as it works today. If you and I are a family, you're dad, I'm the son... you buy it, I can actually check it out and play it, and.. or you can play it. So, it's concuran... think of it as who's ever playing it... one person at a time, just like today".

This is so weird. He's implying there it's FULL access to the game (or is he? 'i can actually check it out and play it' for how long?), like lending someone the disc - I wonder what happened between then and now?

Zukuu

Banned
This is so weird. He's implying there it's FULL access to the game (or is he? 'i can actually check it out and play it' for how long?), like lending someone the disc - I wonder what happened between then and now?

Now he isn't. "check it out" = test it. "kinda like a library" = renting a game for a certain time period.

Wow. I was disappointed yesterday after hearing that family sharing would be gone...now, I can't believe that they essentially lied to us. That is not sharing in any sense of the word. It's what Sony likes to call "extended game demo" on PS+

Well technically you are playing the "full game", you just can't access it after an hour.

Ollie Pooch

Now he isn't. "check it out" = test it. "kinda like a library" = renting a game for a certain time period.
Oh, I guess I read it as full game because of that other blurb from MS with the example of sharing a copy of Forza. So deceptive. When did they think people were going to find this stuff out? Haha.

These guys seem completely incapable of just telling the straight truth. It's always half truths, suggestions and possibilities TBC. What a joke!

- J - D -

This is some kind of "dodged a megaton" news. Bet Microsoft is glad they sorta sidestepped that disaster and has now only potentially stepped into some dog poo.

It was too good to be true.

I knew it wasn't set to be what people were hoping for, but that's real hilarious how they tried to position this family sharing as potentially being something quite nice. Imagine the shitstorm if they had gone through with this. In a way I kind of wish they had. What a bunch of asshats.

Wow. I was disappointed yesterday after hearing that family sharing would be gone...now, I can't believe that they essentially lied to us. That is not sharing in any sense of the word. It's what Sony likes to call "extended game demo" on PS+

People that believed Family Sharing was anything real shock me after everything that has gone down with MS.

So everyone who was saying the protestors have ruined everything are made to look like assholes yet again? MS wasn't really going to offer you something truly valuable? Well, color me surprised...

But seriously people. They were intentionally quiet for a reason, and these tactics from MS should surprise no one.

Oh, I'm sure he knew about the one hour limit, which is why he kind of dances all over the place when he speaks. The catch phrase to use was check it out each time the question comes up in an interview. I kinda feel bad for him, what a shitty job.

Zebra

Yet in a library you can keep renewing a book until you finish it.

Gurkog

Banned
M$'s Xboner is the gift that keeps on giving. Even when they remove DRM they still find a way to piss people off.

So just deceptive marketing then? Now they should just make every game available for DD on XBL downloadable free with a 60 minute time limit. That would be a better advertising tool, it would help push people to choose digital over retail (which MS wants) and developers wouldn't have to waste time making separate demos.

I never believed for a second the family sharing would work the way people were thinking it would, allowing 10 people to play a single game purchase that easily would be even worse than used games since publishers always take the (highly specious) position that every single used game sale or pirated copy was a lost new sale.

Kyoufu

This is all just so incredible.

I really don't know how anyone thought this would happen they way they wanted it to.

Kyon

Banned
Seriously cements the "evil" title people put on them. Can't fathom how they would lead their few fans that they had to believe they had this feature that was the only positive about the system and then when the system came out and ppl bought it expecting this the outrage

This is amazing. Major Nelson went out of his way to pimp this as one of the huge benefits of the 24 hour DRM. Now it turns out it was a one hour demo program. lmao

Ollie Pooch

Oh, I'm sure he knew about the one hour limit, which is why he kind of dances all over the place when he speaks. The catch phrase to use was check it out each time the question comes up in an interview. I kinda feel bad for him, what a shitty job.
I guess it's fitting that the one 'maybe positive' aspect to the Xbone to come out after that E3 clusterfuck ended up being complete fabricated rubbish, helped along by MS themselves. Zero transparency.

lemonade

There are some people who think Microsoft should just give out shit for free. Why people are disappointed about this is beyond me.

Man that thread. I knew there was a catch as I was saying in that thread, but I was thinking more along the lines of only one person able to play at a time kind of thing. So yeah poor naive Almighty. 20/20 makes it clear as day that even that was much too generous not just for Microsoft, but any company.
My guess was that only one person could play it at a time, but when your friend or family played the game they'd be using your account. Microsoft comes out and reminds you to make sure you give it to someone you trust (like a Family Member) so they don't do something stupid and get your account banned.

In other words, few would end up loaning games out.

pvpness

None what what you said means I'm not being a smart consumer. Being skeptical means you wait until you have all the facts before making a purchase and since this purchase won't be made until Nov there is plenty of time to get all the facts. Being cynical means you assume everything a company is telling you is a lie or half truth when that's simply not the case the majority of the time.

The one thing I was most looking forward to with MS's previous design for the console was being able to purchase discs and then not need them, retail became digital after install. That's the main thing I was pissed about because I've long moved away from wanting to use disc based media, however I prefer to PURCHASE disc based media and then convert it to a format where I don't need it anymore. Yes, I know I can buy all digital like I do on Steam, I just would have preferred it the other way.

But as you said, let's just agree to disagree.

I wasn't calling you a dumb consumer, sorry if I seemed to imply that. I meant no offense.

I actually don't think we disagree entirely. It seems we understand the same definitions of the words, yet vary on severity. Your last sentence suggests you will give companies the benefit of the doubt while I will not, as, "majority of the time" isn't quantifiable by any accurate measure.

I can also completely understand why one would lament the theoretical loss of being able to essentially purchase digital games from numerous physical retailers. It's ideal. As opposed to a single online store that faces no competition, of course.

akira28

Man if they would have allowed even this lie to be unveiled and continued course

the world would have collapsed from the sheer fail

Thats why part of me thinks this is a rebel faction from within, trying to save Microsoft Gaming from someone who is trying to run it into the ground, and go with Microsoft Entertainment.

What blows me. What positively blows me is how they thought this would pass? Like we're all fucking Okies and this is the goddamn dustbowl. We'd somehow find ourselves stuck under the Xbox One umbrella because we're do loyal as customers? Did they not think we would object?

He was always cynical but he went over the deep end near the end, watch his interview with Larry King in the mid 80s, big time conspiracy stuff, that's what a life of cynicism does for you lol.

may you forever remain comfortably ensconced in the shallow end, my friend :) ...

halogamer

Banned

Lesson learned then? Companies lie all the time.

McSpidey

This explains why Microsoft originally didn't make a big deal or bring attention to the family sharing policy. They only brought it out when they started losing the DRM PR battle. If the system truly was the crown jewel of digital distribution freedom they would have shouted it from the rooftops from the start as loud as possible.

wildfire

Banned
This revelation has lowered my opinion of Major Nelson.

I'm now not going to buy an Xbox 180 or their games new. Everything will be brought used, if at all, towards the end its life cycle.

Oh I know that there were, I'm just pointing out how silly it was to ACTUALLY believe it. Microsoft has never once done anything to save us money.. why in the world would they have done something that drastic out of nowhere?

Personally speaking. I thought MS took the time to run create projections on how much sales and overall revenue could be increased if they destroyed the used games market and replaced it with a sharing market.

It's obvious now no one took that type of effort.

There's no way this is true. Otherwise, they wouldn't have limited it to one user accessing the shared library at a time.

Hell, they wouldn't limit it to 10 family members. What would be the point? If they're just demos, let your entire friends list access it.

You guys are freaking out about something that isn't true. Anyone with a shred of logical thinking should see this.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
wow, did people really miss this? This is exactly how I thought it was when it was brought up, they get to play under your account for an hour then are forced to buy it if they want to continue playing.

Zukuu

Banned
There's no way this is true. Otherwise, they wouldn't have limited it to one user accessing the shared library at a time.

Hell, they wouldn't limit it to 10 family members. What would be the point?

You guys are freaking out about something that isn't true.

Because playing any game for 1 hour is kinda a neat feature (and many games are only 6-8 hours long) and he was saying it was unlimited attempts... it's just nothing amazing tho.

Top Bottom