• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

maeh2k

They could still offer a digital lending system on their digital downloads, but I have a feeling they'd rather just give a "fuck you" to buyers.

They have no real incentive to implement such a system now. Neither does Sony or anyone else.

If they had gone all-digital, lending games would have been possible on the PS4 but not on the Xbox. So there was a huge incentive to make it work. That's why they already hinted at a future lending system.

Now no one has a lending system for digital games and chances are they won't create one out of the kindness of their hearts.

remnant

Banned
Has any other site confirmed this as true or atleast covering the story?

By the by, CBOAT carries no clout with a lot of MS fans, atleast at the teamxbox forums. :lol

BigDug13

By the by, CBOAT carries no clout with a lot of MS fans, atleast at the teamxbox forums. :lol

Why would they? The features are all dead so any rumors can never be truly confirmed. No site is going to investigate something that was never clarified. But it all fits. Letting people share a single game purchase with multiple people on a system that killed used games to save the industry? Would have done far more damage without extreme limits like this.

'teamxbox: where the truth has no clout' :) ...

In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points...

improved, unbroken link:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124970-Microsofts-Yusuf-Mehdi-We-Need-To-Educate-Consumers

Lol. CBoat is well recognised as an industry insider who has consistently leaked information that has been 100% right.
I can't MS fans would believe that the new Xbox would have allowed them to share their full games with 10 other people. The Raison D'être of the Xbox one was to restrict used game sales, but suddenly they don't mind allowing anyone in the world to share a game with 10 other people anywhere in the world?

remnant

Banned
Lol. CBoat is well recognised as an industry insider who has consistently leaked information that has been 100% right.
I can't MS fans would believe that the new Xbox would have allowed them to share their full games with 10 other people. The Raison D'être of the Xbox one was to restrict used game sales, but suddenly they don't mind allowing anyone in the world to share a game with 10 other people anywhere in the world?

They think MS was saving the industry, and hide behind cliffy B. whenever you criticize them.

Some people are going to cling to this all generation long.

Amir0x

Banned
People that believed Family Sharing was anything real shock me after everything that has gone down with MS.

I said it the second someone started pointing it out... no way Microsoft was going to make anti-consumer move after anti-consumer move and then suddenly be all "la la la, wonderful magical fairyland of open free games for anyone you want up to 10 people, unlimited, hooray!"

It just didn't fit the narrative that Microsoft themselves have built through their endless fuck-ups, and it definitely didn't make sense from the perspective of a "victimized company" who was supposedly doing this so "publishers and developers" could make money on used games and not just Gamestop. It just would have created a new clusterfuck for developers and publishers.

So yeah, I never believed it, but it honestly is the last cherry on top of a shit sandwich them trying to deceive the game community on something this big. I really am hesitant to even want to get an Xbox One at all next-gen now. I have to really weigh my options on that one... maybe at the very end of the gen now.

Alpende

Who are CBOAT?

King Beyond pretty much says it. CBOAT is an insider who is almost always right about the information he brings out.

I said it the second someone started pointing it out... no way Microsoft was going to make anti-consumer move after anti-consumer move and then suddenly be all "la la la, wonderful magical fairyland of open free games for anyone you want up to 10 people, unlimited, hooray!"

It just didn't fit the narrative that Microsoft themselves have built through their endless fuck-ups, and it definitely didn't make sense from the perspective of a "victimized company" who was supposedly doing this so "publishers and developers" could make money on used games and not just Gamestop. It just would have created a new clusterfuck for developers and publishers.

So yeah, I never believed it, but it honestly is the last cherry on top of a shit sandwich them trying to deceive the game community on something this big. I really am hesitant to even want to get an Xbox One at all next-gen now. I have to really weigh my options on that one... maybe at the very end of the gen now.

Even outside of whatever policies that might impact me directly or affect the industry as a whole, it's pretty clear that X1 is just a place where Microsoft can continue fighting a proxy war against Google and Apple for the living room (which it will probably lose). After how confused and incompetent their messaging has been and how out of touch with users they seem to be I don' t have much confidence that MS can make the platform do anything compelling. I'm hesitant to buy into what might end up being MS's digital Afghanistan.

Even outside of whatever policies that might impact me directly or affect the industry as a whole, it's pretty clear that X1 is just a place where Microsoft can continue fighting a proxy war against Google and Apple for the living room (which it will probably lose). After how confused and incompetent their messaging has been and how out of touch with users they seem to be I don' t have much confidence that MS can make the platform do anything compelling. I'm hesitant to buy into what might end up being MS's digital Afghanistan.

Which is hilarious because I can imagine the execs at those companies sitting down drinking some wine, scoffing and saying...

"Deeze mofos..."

Kemal86

Heh, what a surprise, CBOAT carries no clout on the site that gave birth to Arthur Gies.

wildfire

Banned
If what CBOAT confirmed is true, then Greenberg didn't lie as they're technically not demos you play for an hour, which he was asked. They're full games you download but can only play for an hour. I don't know who to believe, but CBOAT has a great track record, and everyone at MS lately don't. I'm leaning towards CBOAT.

He is lying or being willfully ignorant. Full blown production apps have been downloaded for ages as free trials with many features turned off until you pay up. A free trial was synonymous with a demo then and still holds up now.

There is no reason we should defend anyone with semantics arguments.

He is lying or being willfully ignorant. Full blown production apps have been downloaded for ages as free trials with many features turned off until you pay up. A free trial was synonymous with a demo then and still holds up now.

There is no reason we should defend anyone with semantics arguments.

It wasn't a defence, well I don't think. Just an observation that Greenberg isn't technically lying, just obfuscating.

Actually all of the statements made about this sharing mode lends credence to this idea of a 60 minute timer, nothing from MS comes out and says that 10 people can play the full game to completion or in the same manner as the owner would play. It's all been "check it out" and such language which is pretty vague and would lead people to think that it would be the full experience as the owner but MS wouldn't be lying when it turned out to be on a 1h timer.

wildfire

Banned
This is how I see it.

If you honestly believed microsoft was going to allow people to create a unrestricted group of ten to share games you are a fucking idiot. Its that simple.

However, just because CBOAT said 60 mins, it doesnt mean it was exactly a glorified demo. It could of been a 60 min nag, 60 mins of a game a day or even 60 mins per group member accessing the library without having to be online.

What is evident is that whatever the family sharing thing was, it was a very limited scheme that would be helpful to a very small subset of gamers and would never been the break out feature some xbox fans are making out. Even PSN game sharing at its peak wasnt something that most people took advantage of, hell there are millions of people on PSN who STILL dont know it exists.

So yes. For a global device losing this DRM is far far more valuable than what family sharing offered. Id still have that same accessment even if it worked exactly as described. It is a feature that only would be useful to a percentage of games while what we have now benefits everyone. Not just gamestop game ebay amazon etc. EVERY. SINGLE. GAMER.

You think thats backwards and physical is holding us back? You still have your PC. The majority of notable Xbox exclusives will end up there anyway.

Have some empathy for those who do not have the income infrastructure and means to game as you do. They still matter. This hobby can never cater to the needs of the select few. We all are gamers. We all love our hobby and we all want it to prosper. Lets stop thinking about ourselves, just for a little while, Ok?

There's something I could say here as a counterpoint. Though as I sit here and ask myself why should I be defending MS indirectly; all I can think of is that they burned up all the respect I had for them.

Whatever.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a huge deal, I think. They actively tried to deceive gamers by letting them believe they were giving full access to at least one game for one "family member". Omitting to tell people it was restricted to 60mins is just a blatant BS move.

Microsoft must not think much of their userbase.

Yep. How many more times does Microsoft have to rub it's fans faces in feces for them to wake up and stop supporting this company and their Xbox?

Copenap

Wow that really makes it even worse, even if it's not going to happen now. The simple fact that again MS tried to deceive everyone by withholding the whole information is so shady while they 100% knew people were already getting their hopes up.

Seriously MS, wtf are you doing? How can anyone trust them, like at all.

Harlock

No way MS would allow one person buy and 10 friends play the same game. The ridiculous part is that was used by stupid people, like the gizmodo guy, to defend how we are losing a lot of features when MS drop the online/drm stuff.

nampad

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I like the idea of - if there are a decent number of exclusives which I'm sure there will be - pick up a used xbox one in 2-3 years and used copies of those games, and play them offline. So MS don't get any of your money or any online fees and you don't contribute to their online stats.

Yep. How many more times does Microsoft have to rub it's fans faces in feces for them to wake up and stop supporting this company and their Xbox?
'but what if I only care about the games'
It's like the wife of the wifebeater alcoholic who stays with him because he sometimes whispers sweet nothings in her ear while he fucks her up the arse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't wait for the feature film of this fiasco.

onehourphoto-3-big_zps8f3a78a2.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
'but what if I only care about the games'
It's like the wife of the wifebeater alcoholic who stays with him because he sometimes whispers sweet nothings in her ear while he fucks her up the arse.

Yeah, I don't get this unending devotion some gamers have where they can be kicked in the nuts over and over again, but will take it because of some games. There's plenty of other companies offering the same exact thing, and in most cases better. Take your money elsewhere, and let these guys rot.

BigDug13

without online checks someone could play a 60 minutes demo at the same time as you played the game! That would truly be over delivering on value.

Oh yeah, hadn't considered this. The reason why the feature had to go away is because they were no longer checking up on you. Also plays into the "remote users must check online each hour instead of every 24 hours" feature.

It's looking so much like this was really real. They were going to try to ease that news on people and it just wouldn't have worked. How many manhours were invested coming up with ideas to setup barriers for consumers?

I'm so pissed I'm considering buying GTAV on PS3 even though I know the port will be worse just so MS doesn't get a dime from me. Fuck what a waste. I feel dirty for having supported the original Xbox and the 360. And I knew who MS was. I always have. I knew it and I jumped into bed anyway.

(To be fair, Sony didnt help with their PS3 release arrogance, but they were never this bad. Never this arrogant.)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is exactly what I thought it was from the very beginning. At the time I was wondering why no one was making a big deal out of it. When it was finally mentioned, people suggested that it was a 1hr check in and they could continue playing, instead of a 1hr limit. I went back and read the section pertaining to it and it could have meant either way.

But lets be honest with ourselves. After everything that has happened with this console, is anyone really surprised by what this feature ended up being? It is as if Donald Rumsfeld and Henry Kissinger got together in order to design a Trojan horse game console.

Frayzee

Banned
If the way this works was really just a way to allow people to play demos to get dudebros interesting in buying the full game why would they remove it?

Smells like BS to me.

BigDug13

If the way this works was really just a way to allow people to play demos to get dudebros interesting in buying the full game why would they remove it?

Smells like BS to me.

They removed it because without a mandatory 60 minute Internet check-in as they said would be the time limit when accessing your library remotely, people could "demo" a game for days.

Once required Internet is removed, any other limiting feature that can be exploited when you're "unplugged" will be squashed as well.

troushers

This right here is why I love following the videogame industry. The villainy and the drama - what other consumer product is anything like it?

So much for being "New" and "moving the industry forward" and "without it we're regressing, damn ignorant gamers can't to see the advantages". People actually said that, I can't believe it.

Oh well, it's all over now. Why fret about this, X1 no longer has shitty DRM!

They removed it because without a mandatory 60 minute Internet check-in as they said would be the time limit when accessing your library remotely, people could "demo" a game for days.

Once required Internet is removed, any other limiting feature that can be exploited when you're "unplugged" will be squashed as well.
They could have kept the internet requirement for that feature though for digital games. If you're demoing a game you need to be connected to the net or whatever.

Or just do it like how the PS3 does it's time trial demos.

Lokbob

PSN+ doesnt need to be connected to the internet to know at what date your subscription runs out to make games unplayable.

Im sure they could do something similar.

Parapraxis

I'm so pissed I'm considering buying GTAV on PS3 even though I know the port will be worse

----------------

They were going to try to ease that news on people and it just wouldn't have worked.

I wouldn't be certain of a worse port, I know GTA IV wasn't AS good on PS3 as the 360, but it was not even that huge a difference back then.

Yup, people would have lost their shit, burying the family plan all together is a smarter move, especially when they turn it around and make it seem like a huge loss for gamers (which it most likely isn't, the details just hadn't all come out)

I'm more pissed about this than I thought I'd be. At first I was like "well good, no big loss there then." But this was like the last bastion of hope for Microsoft to do some good, and I trusted they would to some degree. But nope, dishonest bullshit. And now they're sweeping it under the rug and making it look like we've caused a significant loss by being protective of our ownership and making them drop their shoddy DRM policies. It's just all so shitty. Trust betrayed, can no longer take their word for anything.

Was starting to get excited about the prospect of being able to play those Xbox One games, but now having to support Microsoft to do so is a roadblock again.

Top Bottom