• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

My internet is awesome on 360, Steam and Netflix but sucks ass on PSN.

I use all my devices via wifi, so maybe the PS3's wifi just sucks ass.

Either that, or how good PSN is depends on your location.

Must be your PS3's wifi or interference with your wifi devices nearby. I have a multiple launch PS3s with no problems regarding wifi.

BigDug13

MS was awesome during the 360 period, don't let current MS hurt your opinion of past MS.

Well then why make the slow download comment about PSN? That hurts its feelings. I just downloaded about 100 gigs from PSN today downloading all the PS+ games that I made sure to "buy", but didn't download. It definitely wasn't "slow."

We don't all have the same Internet. My comment wasn't meant to say that PSN sucks. I was unaware that you could log out of your PsN account and still have the game downloading. I'm used to my 360 and having to be on my account to do pretty much anything.

My PS3 was nothing but a blu-ray box till MS decided they didn't want me as a customer anymore. I've since blown the dust off and signed for Ps+

PSN throttles THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT OF Internet Speeds

It can only download as fast the network allows it to be

I mean I have a 150Mb connection, I see nowhere near that, the highest I ever hiy was 4+MB's on FFX|V Beta DL, but it wa sthrough their client

Fastest on PSN was 2MB for 17GB file of Hitman Absolution from the EU Stpre due to PS+ freebee
I got the game done DL'ing in 1.5 hours, 2 hours Installing... LOL
PSN downloads are embarrassingly slow for me. Depending on the mood PSN is in, a 17GB file can take all night and all morning to download.

Whereas on Steam, it's a couple hours worse case scenario.

I just figured the PS3 had shit wifi, but maybe they are throttling speeds.

Edit: I've tried changing wifi channels on my router before to solve the issue, but nothing helped.

Jomjom

Banned
We don't all have the same Internet. My comment wasn't meant to say that PSN sucks. I was unaware that you could log out of your PsN account and still have the game downloading. I'm used to my 360 and having to be on my account to do pretty much anything.

My PS3 was nothing but a blu-ray box till MS decided they didn't want me as a customer anymore. I've since blown the dust off and signed for Ps+

Ah well I apologize then I thought you were making a blanket statement that PSN speeds are slow.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

I'll take my Fuck Off and I like it!

Mokubba

What fanboy drivel? I've been trumpeting nothing but Sony praise for weeks now and have absolutely loathed everything MS has done. I've cancelled my Gold account and I'm considering buying GTAV on my PS3 instead of my 360 so MS doesn't get anymore money from me even though I know the port will be not as good.

My Internet is typical American fiber Internet from AT&T. It took me 16 hours then I went to bed. 8 hours later when I woke up Uncharted was done. So maybe not 24 hours but it took awhile.

Just saying most Americans are not ready for an all digital gaming world.

Steam is nice since you can DL early before street date. Maybe if they do that on consoles...

That's how Day 1 digital works.

It downloads it onto your console and unlocks once it hits midnight

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Something doesn't make sense here, though. Now that the Xbox One supposedly has no more DRM, what's the point in removing such a feature? It's just a one hour demo, not the full game.

Because although it was just a demo, it could only be played by 10 people on your 'family' list. That would require authentication which they have pulled, so it isn't possible.

They could extend that to 'everyone gets one hour of play' but presumably they couldn't get agreements from publishers to do that, which is why they restricted it to family.

I do wonder whether it was 60 minutes per day though..

Johnson81

Neo Member
Would many people actually use this service? I probably would for big games but downloading GB's of data just to play for an hour? I don't think I'd do it to often. Similar to PS+ full game trials. I don't think I've ever downloaded one.

Would many people actually use this service? I probably would for big games but downloading GB's of data just to play for an hour? I don't think I'd do it to often. Similar to PS+ full game trials. I don't think I've ever downloaded one.
Yeah, I've never bothered with the feature on PS+.

An hour's play doesn't seem worth the bother when it takes you longer than that to download the game.

I can see why it would be good for someone who was on the fence about buying the game anyway though.

Jomjom

Banned
I think with the next gen consoles you'll be able to just download a small portion of the file and then begin playing as it's downloading. That's what they've stated anyway. That would make the feature more usable.

Zok310

Banned
Dear God, they really planned on launching the xbo as fucked as they could make it huh?
I mean the fact that a few people sat down and designed this crap would make me ask if MS even know what the hell they are doing or who they are trying to do it to?
No one in the xbo project meetings thought to ask "how the fuck are we going to sell this to 19-35 year old males?"
WTF!?

PaulLFC

I wonder how they would have explained this had they left people to discover the restriction of the family plan when they actually bought the thing, as it looked like they were going to. Not once did they directly, 100% mention that it was limited to a certain time - would they have just left that until after launch and gone "whoops, yeah we forgot to mention that! Silly us eh!"?

If they would have done, what other rules and restrictions could they be hiding behind a wall of misinformation?

beastmode

The shitstorm if that really was what they were hyping...

I think it was originally 60, then changed to what Major Nelson was going on about for E3 after the lame console reveal.

freddy

Banned
How can we believe any of what the Xbox team says right now? Regardless if any of this is true or not, their reputation is in tatters. I wonder if anyone will be singled out as a fall guy.

I think he was just confirming that family sharing was a 60 min demo.

Unless you're talking about a different post I missed.

I was referring to the second post about the DRM being much worse, but I followed it back and it's an old post.

It's old. I'm not sure why it's in the OP.

Yeah, it's pretty misleading truth be told.

Aye, it's from the pre-E3 TEH FIANAL LOVDOWN. I think OP is saying that this is what CBOAT was alluding to.

Okay, that makes sense. Some context would be nice instead of just quoting old posts that give conflicting info.

Zemm

Does anyone have a link to Jeff Gerstman on game spot saying 'people are going to be even angrier at gamescom', pretty much alluding to this.

maeh2k

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/4451172/xbox-engineer-disappointed-pastebin-note-rumored-features
It's impossible to verify that these are the words of an Xbox engineer, but sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that the company was discussing the idea of limiting each Family Sharing session to one hour and that game progress would be saved so you could play through the hourly caps or purchase the full game to continue uninterrupted. The engineer notes that Microsoft was discussing limiting the number of times Family Sharing could be accessed per game until it was purchased.

Sounds like it wasn't finalized and that you could still play through a game in 1-hour increments. Would have been more than a mere demo.

BigDug13

All of this feels like Microsoft assumed the 75 million 360 owners were guaranteed XBO buyers. They developed policies based on locking in the 75 million buyers to squeeze them for cash as if being an MS customer was a foregone conclusion. If backward compatibility with everyone's 360 purchases was there, maybe. Especially Kinect fans who already have Kinect games and would like to play them with a more accurate Kinect system. Lost opportunity.

But it all feels like they assumed the same customers would automatically follow even though they gave no previous generation tie-in or incentive to keep them except gamertag and achievements. Or maybe they thought that was enough.

Just read about this... it's ridiculous. I wouldn't put it past scumbag MS to try and pull something like this, though. So yeah, in the end - the noise that the gaming community made, as well as pressure from Sony made MS pull the plug on this crap.

BigDug13

That still sounds terrible.

I wonder what the reasoning was for the hourly caps, none of it seems to make sense.

Because there was never any intent to let you get away with one game purchase for even two people in remote locations, much less 10.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect has to match face with Live Login or it fails to authenticate.

My bad, I forgot that was even in the OP; I just clicked on CBOAT's most recent post history and thought you were talking about his most recent post.

It's cool, the lack of context threw me is all.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/4451172/xbox-engineer-disappointed-pastebin-note-rumored-features

Sounds like it wasn't finalized and that you could still play through a game in 1-hour increments. Would have been more than a mere demo.

This hardly sounds any better. I'm pretty disappointed by how this has turned out. Playing game in hour increments is just ridiculous. No wonder they wouldn't provide any further details or clarify the policy, it was a dead duck, nothing more.

GraveRobberX

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/44...mored-features

Great so they would cock-block you 25%+ into the game, what a great trade-off for not being able to use your selling/buying/trading/lending option

Oh hey family share introduces 1 hour block that you can purchase for $4.99-$19.99+

Like Billy's library, want to enjoy his game, buy an extra 5 1 hour blocks for $19.99

MS Going LiveJasmin confirmed!

All of this feels like Microsoft assumed the 75 million 360 owners were guaranteed XBO buyers. They developed policies based on locking in the 75 million buyers to squeeze them for cash as if being an MS customer was a foregone conclusion. If backward compatibility with everyone's 360 purchases was there, maybe. Especially Kinect fans who already have Kinect games and would like to play them with a more accurate Kinect system. Lost opportunity.

But it all feels like they assumed the same customers would automatically follow even though they gave no previous generation tie-in or incentive to keep them except gamertag and achievements. Or maybe they thought that was enough.

They only have like 48million live users... so close to 30+ million were Offline... LOL

Were MS ready to give up on that chunk of the pie?

Remember that was where the military members are grouped into

maeh2k

That still sounds terrible.

I wonder what the reasoning was for the hourly caps, none of it seems to make sense.

They thought about ways to limit the system so that sharing wouldn't get too powerful. Who knows how exactly it would have turned out.
If they implemented these limitations it's not clear if those would have worked the same for every game or if publishers would have had a say in it (maybe different limitations depending on publisher or type of game; cf used games).

And they were also looking into offering lending after launch. A digital lending system next to a limited sharing system still would have been great.

Tfault

I can imagine how this would have worked:

- Play for 1 hour
- Feed user ads for at least 24 hours, before next play period
- loop until game finished 1 week later
- Alternate purchase 100 bags of Doritos to shorten ad breaks

Did I mention ad breaks?

Well then. That's very deceptive of Microsoft if they planned on selling it to the public as full game access.

I guess the 10 shares function was just overglorified.

ReijMan

I'm the only one 100% not caring about this?
It's a done deal, there is no source.

Now that they tested the waters though, we might see a future where they implement this idea to be something a little bit more desirable :)

This could turn out to be something good. Now let's talk about what Microsoft and the XBOX division need to do about their horrible communication.

Haunted

Also another notch in the belt for cboat. He called it once again before anyone else on GAF knew what's up.

crazy buttocks :bow

They thought about ways to limit the system so that sharing wouldn't get too powerful. Who knows how exactly it would have turned out.
If they implemented these limitations it's not clear if those would have worked the same for every game or if publishers would have had a say in it (maybe different limitations depending on publisher or type of game; cf used games).

And they were also looking into offering lending after launch. A digital lending system next to a limited sharing system still would have been great.
They could still offer a digital lending system on their digital downloads, but I have a feeling they'd rather just give a "fuck you" to buyers.

BigDug13

Great so they would cock-block you 25%+ into the game, what a great trade-off for not being able to use your selling/buying/trading/lending option

Oh hey family share introduces 1 hour block that you can purchase for $4.99-$19.99+

Like Billy's library, want to enjoy his game, buy an extra 5 1 hour block for $19.99

MS Going LiveJasmin confirmed!

They only have like 48million live users... so close to 30+ million were Offline... LOL

Were MS ready to give up on that chunk of the pie?

Remember that was where the military members are grouped into

To an extent. I still had Live Gold while in the Navy. I just lost months of access when I was offline on deployment. :( So that military statistic isn't guaranteed.

Dilly

Banned
Sorry there's no hard facts, we don't what it could of been.

My hopes are still up.

Yes, because Microsoft would implement these DRM measures to stop people from selling their games and then add a function that one person can share his game with 10 people.

Now, considering your post history, don't even know why I'm bothering.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

need a flowchart.

if ifs and buts were coconuts... Any time there is 'discussion', assume MS are going to err on the side of the publishers. Maybe you'd get an hour slot per day. Maybe after 3 such slots you'd be forced to choose to buy the game. Maybe maybe maybe.

GraveRobberX

maybe some people like to just put a disc in and play? Not that MS seemed to care.
Well, my brother's one of the "unconnected" 360 users; the wifi doesn't reach his bedroom in his house and that's where his 360 is set up.

He mainly uses it for single player games like Assassins Creed and playing Fifa with his friends.

There's certainly people who don't bother with the online features.

Binabik15

The family thing is not that outrageous for remote access to someone else's games. But holy shit at tgat one hour friend thing.

If that is true then I wish MS had stuck to their guns and crashed the Xbox brand so hard that they and their toxic practices were removed from gaming forever.

Top Bottom