• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 NBA 2K6 preview

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'd say something about how I've been preaching about the 360's power for ages and whatnot, but that'd be blowing my own horn and frankly that's not what I'm all about.

*ahem*

Anyways, can't wait to see what Take Two and 2K Sports come up with for next-gen NHL. Xbox NBA and NHL 2K6 play like a sweet sweet dream, and partnering THESE graphics with THAT gameplay means that I may not come up for air at all over the next few months.

I mean

nba-2k6-20050930031517934.jpg

Holy shit, man.

kleegamefan said:
Are EA developing on the same system??
Ouch. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
bishoptl said:
I'd say something about how I've been preaching about the 360's power for ages and whatnot, but that'd be blowing my own horn and frankly that's not what I'm all about.

*ahem*

Anyways, can't wait to see what Take Two and 2K Sports come up with for next-gen NHL. Xbox NBA and NHL 2K6 play like a sweet sweet dream, and partnering THESE graphics with THAT gameplay means that I may not come up for air at all over the next few months.

I mean

nba-2k6-20050930031517934.jpg

Holy shit, man.

Ouch. :lol

Good call man... but of course, you're a dev (and mod) and obviously knows stuff that us regulars crackers don't. I can't imagine now what the next-gen NHL 2k game will look like now, but I can't wait to see it! These graphics on my HDTV, the sublime NHL 2k gameplay, Xbox Live, my surround sound, my comfy ass recliner... oh, it's fuckin ON! :D

wow. Thos are some damn good graphics. I agree with the other poster that the animations aren't quite there, but the great graphcis only make it stand out even more. Thats something it seems every dev has to work on next gen

TheDuce22

Banned
VC just owned Konami along with EA. These players have a more realistic look to them than Snake did in the MGS4 trailer. Thats almost unheard of.

SonnyBoy

I can forgive them for the crappy animations for now.

VC = poor animation, way above par graphics

EA = poor animation, poor graphics.

VC for the win.

xabre

Banned
I still think the answer is procedural animation, ala spore style and for shifting gears in the various PGR3 cars. Cutting and pasting motion capture animations together is just not good enough anymore.

Hold on while I pick up my jaw off the ground, WOW!!!! Simply stunning.

My first reaction is someone is pulling Killzone2 on us again, and I had to click on the article:

"All the footage, from the video to the screenshots are 100% gameplay. I repeat, these are not cut scenes. These are not an artist's interpretation of gameplay. This is NBA 2K6."

Mason

If the graphics are so realistic, why don't they have individually-modelled armpit hairs complete with realistic physics, hmm???!!!!

JMPovoa

Holy crap. These shots are incredible! You could mistake a couple of them with real life in a blink of an eye! :O

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
TheDuce22 said:
VC just owned Konami along with EA. These players have a more realistic look to them than Snake did in the MGS4 trailer. Thats almost unheard of.

i dont think they owned konami at all.. different types of games for one.. this is one enclosed environment.. while MGS4 will be more open, bigger and more complex geography. also, i believe that the MGS4 characters use more polygons, these characters have some good polybump (or whatever yu want to call it) techniques going on..

FightyF

Banned
shpankey said:
Good call man... but of course, you're a dev (and mod) and obviously knows stuff that us regulars crackers don't. I can't imagine now what the next-gen NHL 2k game will look like now, but I can't wait to see it! These graphics on my HDTV, the sublime NHL 2k gameplay, Xbox Live, my surround sound, my comfy ass recliner... oh, it's fuckin ON! :D

My guess is that it won't look be as large as a leap as this title.

I've had the impression that this was made from the ground up for the 360,whereas Kush Games (small dev) is doing a port of the Xbox version to the 360. Plus, I've also heard that VC combined the NFL and NBA teams after EA bought the NFL license, and so this is the result.

Fuma

Banned
shpankey said:
this pretty much proves to those PC developers who were bitchin (Carmack, Newell, etc.) there is amazing power in x360 and ps3... they just need to wrap their heads around this kind of technology (like VC and BC have obviously).

Agreed. But didnt Carmack really like the 360?

BojTrek

Banned
I brought my daughter down to the basement, we played with a new ball, I started a load of laundry, I closed the Norton Anti-Virus scan, opened Gaming-Age forums, saw Xbox 360 NBA 2K6 preview topic...

I clicked it... and no fucking shit, I let out a real belly laugh and giggled like a little girl...

This day has finally arrived... the day I have been begging for... for months...

I want to see real in-game videos and in-game pictures of NBA2K6 and Tiger Woods 2006 running on X-Box 360...

Holy fucking shit... I have been let's say disappointed with everything on X-Box 360... nothing seemed real, nothing shown looked like in-game footage... everything looked like opening movie CGI or replays...

Holy fucking shit, it is all I can say... I have called my old college roomatem, who is now a dentist, and begged him to go to IGN and click X-Box 360, and NBA2K6...

I have gone from Day 1 buyer of X-Box 360, to ummm maybe launch, maybe I will wait for 2nd. generation games... to...

DAY 1 BUYER... I LOVE NBA2K and Tiger Woods... I BELIEVE... Thanks you SEGA/2KSports...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT...

quadriplegicjon said:
i dont think they owned konami at all.. different types of games for one.. this is one enclosed environment.. while MGS4 will be more open, bigger and more complex geography. also, i believe that the MGS4 characters use more polygons, these characters have some good polybump (or whatever yu want to call it) techniques going on..
All things considered, I find both games to be about equal in terms of technical achievement. While this game takes place in a small environment, it also has a number of things in it that MGS4 doesn't have. I doubt that each character in MGS4 looks as good as Snake and Otacon, but each NBA player has to look just as good as the next ball player. MGS4 also doesn't have ten thousand people comprising an audience. More importantly, MGS4 probably won't come out until 2007 while this game is coming out this year.

The games are different enough that they cannot be fairly compared to one another, but I think both of them demonstrate the incredible power of both platforms. Before these recent videos of the better X360 games came out, the PS3 seemed definitively more powerful. Now, they seem much more even.

Fuma said:
Agreed. But didnt Carmack really like the 360?

Well, it at the least he preferred 360, but it's the multi-processor setup that both PS3/360 that are sported that he's not too keen on and 360 was the one easier to take of the two.

TheDuce22 said:

PWNED?

Take it easy there little buddy. The player models look spectacular, and far beyond what we've seen from EA, but it's not quite in the same league as MGS4 yet. But it is really, really fucking impressive.

You give an inch they want a mile.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
PWNED?

Take it easy there little buddy. The player models look spectacular, and far beyond what we've seen from EA, but it's not quite in the same league as MGS4 yet. But it is really, really fucking impressive.

You should be above this shit sc.....

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
HOLY CRAP!!!

There is no way I could've even dreamed that it could ever look this good. That is just ridiculous.

Wow!!!

SonnyBoy

sonycowboy said:
PWNED?

Lol, its not MGS4 just yet but its great to see this type of prowness coming from the 360. At least I dont feel too bad buying it now.

*waits for 2k6 vs MGS4 thread.

PhatSaqs said:
You should be above this shit sc.....

My jaw is on the fucking floor with those player models, and I'm on the record as saying it looks incredible, but I just don't see the point in comparisons of sports titles to the monster technical engines of MGS and Gears of War. They're completely different in what they're trying to accomplish.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sonycowboy said:
My jaw is on the fucking floor with those player models, and I'm on the record as saying it looks incredible, but I just don't see the point in comparisons of sports titles to the monster technical engines of MGS and Gears of War. They're completely different in what they're trying to accomplish.
My point exactly.

FightyF

Banned
Looks more realistic than MGS4 and GoW though.

As I said, I'd love for a game like MGS or Splinter Cell or whatever to look this realistic. It's all up to the artists...but most devs are stuck in their ways. The only game I'm sure that will look this realistic is a new Getaway.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
TheInkyVoid said:
Oh please make it so!

Xbox owners impressed with a shiny effect on player models???

I'm shocked!

Yes, because it's only Xbox owners who are impressed and it's only because of the shinyness.

*rolleyes*

Speevy

Banned
I think this could be the first multiplatform game that makes you realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

PS3/X360 games everywhere, fantastic graphics, and it's the developer's fault if either version is crippled.

Speevy

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:
Oh please make it so!

Xbox owners impressed with a shiny effect on player models???

I'm shocked!

We're impressed with the excellent image quality and good textures! ;)

Mr Jared

I just about bit my knuckle and yelled "AW LAWD" at that clip. The slight framerate problem doesn't bother me a bit as I have 100% confidence in 2KSports getting that cleaned up before release.

I don't really like NBA sims all that much (y halo thar NBA Showtime) but when it looks this freakin' impressive, it's hard for me not to want and give this one a go.

So. . it's going to be $20 bucks still, right? ;D

Top Bottom