• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Back Compat Super Sale, starts May 16, up to 75%+ off, 275+ titles

Any of the multiplatform digital-only games have anything special on 360 compared to other versions? Just if anyone knows something like that.

Alx

I finally bought and played a bit of Flashback yesterday. It's not as bad as the demo made me feel at the time actually, but the game feels very different from the original. I miss the roll moves (one of the defining points of the gameplay), and fights in general are confusing since opponents barely react to being hit (IIRC regular grunts would die with a single shot, and aliens would at least recoil when hit). It's also sad/cheap that aliens won't morph into slime balls and creep on walls and ceilings any more.
Anyway, the original is still there as an option, but for some reason you can't play it full screen, but only in a virtual arcade booth. I'm not even sure you can save or enter codes to skip levels. Meh.

G0523

Nope. I even bought a copy of Rare Replay for $8 when it was on sale just to have if I ever got one, but I'm not interested enough to buy one for now. I don't mind spending $25-ish on the 360 games for the system I have now.
Fair enough. I would've done the same thing in your shoes. Enjoy the games! They're really great!

Kind of interesting that the Wii and 360 have seasons 1 and 2 of Sam and Max, the former in 2008 and 2010 and both in 2009 for 360, but the PS3 has seasons 2 and 3.

Any of the multiplatform digital-only games have anything special on 360 compared to other versions? Just if anyone knows something like that.

Joe Danger on 360 is a Special Edition and contains content not in the Steam/PSN versions. Here's what the site says:

Joe Danger Special Edition contains the original Joe Danger plus almost double the gameplay again, including new environments, new levels, and new characters – all created especially for Xbox players!

My haul, totaling under $50 USD. Great sale, especially for folks eager to grab older XBLA games at a discount.

Age Of Booty
Bejeweled 3
Bit.trip Presents… Runner2
Call Of Juarez Gunslinger
Crystal Quest
Doom II
Dragon's Lair
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters
Metal Slug XX
Midway Arcade Origins
Missile Command
Rage
Tower Bloxx Deluxe
Zuma's Revenge!

For those interested in brawlers, I highly recommend the games below. Great prices but you can also try the demos to confirm:

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles Of Mystara $3.74 (Drop 75%)
Final Fight: Double Impact $2.49 (Drop 75%)
I had the chance to fire up most of my purchases last night and had a grand time sampling. Pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed my "high dollar" purchase of Midway Arcade so much. I was anticipating buyer regret. Controls can still be wonky on some of the titles but all in all, felt good. I don't think this has extras like concept art, etc., but I haven't poked around that much yet. Missile Command may be a whiff but luckily it was the cheapest purchase from my haul. I remember liking the demo but just didn't do much for me on the recent play.

Big surprise was Tower Bloxx. Not really recommending to others but I had a lot of fun with the basic one-button gameplay I remember from my flip phone days. Nice presentation.

Holy shit $2.49 for Bomberman?! I'm in and it plays really good. I should try if people are playing online still...
I tried the demo and was sold! Screenshots looked iffy but you are right, plays very well.

See the mentions of Joe Danger in this thread. Which one is considered best option?

jelly

Alice has a neat art style, not the human characters except herself. Love the glide after jumping and the physics are a nice touch.

Got Portal 2 as well, haven't played since release.

splattered

I think the BO2 Season Pass is the last thing I really want out of this sale but i'm finding it extremely difficult to pull the trigger on a $30 Season Pass on an old(er) game :(

Gaoru and maybe Viva Pinata for me. Lots of good games, but I had a 360 and my first "real job" so I picked up pretty much whatever I wanted.

Chris1

Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again.
why does this happen?

Is your account region different to where you live atm?

People have this issue getting GWG's and it's always region related. You will have to use a VPN or change account region.

My purchases so far:

Portal 2
The Orange Box
Ghostbusters
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Assassin's Creed

Probably making a few more purchases before the sale ends.

And dammit, make AC: Brotherhood and AC3 BC already...

Added the following today:

Skate 3
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2

Pretty sure I'm all set on this sale now. Great deals.

UltraJay

I don't understand the technical aspect of why they can't get it to work either so I feel your pain. That said, why would they not advertise these sales? Giving people this current option to buy 360 games is better than having no option.

I'm not understanding the problem. I can buy these games on my XB1 with my credit card, my paypal, and the sale is advertised on my front page.

I used to have an American account using a AU 360 and XB1 but changed it to be Australian so I could take advantage of BC. I'm not even certain that making a new American account would allow me to buy the US-only titles in this sale while using my AU console.

Gaogaogao

Is your account region different to where you live atm?

People have this issue getting GWG's and it's always region related. You will have to use a VPN or change account region.

this is not my problem. error messages should tell you whats wrong.

Trying to pick up stuff in this sale that I can't play better elsewhere like on PC. Is Hydro Thunder good?

I love it and it plays great on X1.

Just FYI, there is a version of the game on the Windows store too but it's kinda buggy on W10 and doesn't have many expected PC features, i.e. it just runs full-screen at your current resolution for the most part.

Rembrandt

Banned
I bought civ rev for the summer.

I'll buy bomberman and shadowrun if we get set up some GAF groups for them. Luckily LFG is around.

Oh, and L4D2!

I set up a LFG for civ in the GAF club. I'll keep my eyes on any other ones set up for BC titles and I'll grab at least one more.

Not to go off-topic or illegal\immoral, and apologies if it's been covered earlier in the thread, but is it still possible to buy digital games from different regions or is that a loophole that's been closed? I used the Reddit guide but when I go to check out when buying gift cards from the Microsoft Canada store it says my transaction couldn't be processed......

Does anybody know if this is still possible? I'd rather pay $6 and not $11 for RDR if I don't have to.

Thank you!

mike4001_

Not to go off-topic or illegal\immoral, and apologies if it's been covered earlier in the thread, but is it still possible to buy digital games from different regions or is that a loophole that's been closed? I used the Reddit guide but when I go to check out when buying gift cards from the Microsoft Canada store it says my transaction couldn't be processed......

Does anybody know if this is still possible? I'd rather pay $6 and not $11 for RDR if I don't have to.

Thank you!

For Xbox One games you can buy from any region (as long as you have a valid payment option for that region or buy a gift card and fill the regions account)

For Xbox 360 games you need VPN.

Holy shit $2.49 for Bomberman?! I'm in and it plays really good. I should try if people are playing online still...

I was excited and purchased Bomberman Live on the 360 (played for years and was regularly in the top 5 on the weekly leaderboards and top 5-10 all time). I was pumped for Battlefests release, was an instant buy but what turned me off was the slower speed the game played at, wasn't as much fun for me.

For Xbox One games you can buy from any region (as long as you have a valid payment option for that region or buy a gift card and fill the regions account)

For Xbox 360 games you need VPN.

So I'll need a VPN for BC game purchases. I'd rather just pay the $5 extra.

Thank you for the info!

EmiPrime

So I'll need a VPN for BC game purchases. I'd rather just pay the $5 extra.

Thank you for the info!

Yeah it's not worth the effort. I have 2 region free 360 games on demand on my Japanese Xbox account but I can't complete the downloads even with a VPN (fails at 79-80%). It's a huge pain in the arse.

Drayco21

The full Capcom Arcade Collection isn't actually on sale, right? Just the base package that comes with three of the games?

I've always wanted to pick it up, but felt like the price was a bit more than I'd want to pay for most of those games.

Flandy

Is there a list of games that aren't available on PC? As in PS3/360 games only. I'm only interested in grabbing games I can't play better else where

Justinh

Not sure if it counts but Alice: Madness Returns includes the original American McGee's Alice game as a bonus on 360 and PS3 but not on Steam.
Yeah, the original Alice game isn't on steam, and they only way I've found a way to get it digitally on PC is to buy the Complete Edition on amazon which sends you an Origin code (strange that it's not an option on Origin).

The full Capcom Arcade Collection isn't actually on sale, right? Just the base package that comes with three of the games?

I've always wanted to pick it up, but felt like the price was a bit more than I'd want to pay for most of those games.

The All-in-One DLC unlock is only like... 6 dollars or so. I could be wrong, but I think it's usually more than that. (So it would be 7.50 after the "game" and DLC for the all-in-one)
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...NE-PACK/a14e7c1d-3975-4ef1-a1c4-7911f75555bc#
edit: Yeah, it looks like the All-in-One pack is usually 25 clams.

Fox Mulder

Wasn't the always online aspect only an issue for the PS3 version? Seem to remember that being a huge problem for some back during the month long PSN downtime.

I don't know.

My batteries ran out and the game didn't pause, fucking me over. It's apparently always ready for someone on the internet to drop in like the arcade days or whatever.

Wozzer

I've scanned the thread but haven't seen this answered, sorry if I missed it.

Just ordered an Xbox, is due to be delivered after the sale. Is it possible to purchase these games via a website?

Top Bottom