• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox / Game Pass is set to have another jam-packed year in 2024

Jesb

Doesn’t look that good to be honest. But I’m sure more good stuff will be added that’s not on here.

Mortisfacio

Stalker 2, Avowed and Hellblade I'll play regardless of reviews. Manor Lords I might check out because I like base builder/strat games, but we'll see. The last decade I haven't found a game that scratches the itch Starcraft or Age of Empires does. Hoping Stormgate does.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pigeon Simulator

Mike Tyson Smile GIF

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It's not steam; the steam zealots irrationally hate everything that's not steam.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with it, games launch just as well from it.

Mod support alone is a huge reason that Game Pass is worse than other storefronts (Steam included). Even with no other concerns, if you want to use any type of mod it is always better to go anywhere other than Game Pass. Quit acting like there is no plausible reason to prefer another storefront to Game Pass other than "zealots".

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Mod support alone is a huge reason that Game Pass is worse than other storefronts (Steam included). Even with no other concerns, if you want to use any type of mod it is always better to go anywhere other than Game Pass. Quit acting like there is no plausible reason to prefer another storefront to Game Pass other than "zealots".
Game Pass is not a storefront/launcher, it's a subscription, and you need to quit acting so triggered and learn some context reading before jumping to the defence of your favourite launcher, because I said none of what you think I did.

sendit

How many years can Flight Sim count as a new game? lol

I’m already playing Cities Skylines II on game pass.
Prepare to be blown away by "Flight Sim," the game that makes yearly sports releases and COD sequels look like amateur hour. Who cares about fast-paced action and riveting storylines when you can navigate the intricacies of pre-flight checklists with the intensity of a seasoned pilot?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Prepare to be blown away by "Flight Sim," the game that makes yearly sports releases and COD sequels look like amateur hour. Who cares about fast-paced action and riveting storylines when you can navigate the intricacies of pre-flight checklists with the intensity of a seasoned pilot?

er .. by the time the next one comes out, it'll have been 4 years between releases.

How many years can Flight Sim count as a new game? lol

I’m already playing Cities Skylines II on game pass.

It's weird to me that's it's even counted as a game now. I remember playing it as a kid and I never thought of it as a game. To be clear I'm not saying it is or isn't a game people can call it whatever they want I just never saw it that way knew anyone who did.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Game Pass is not a storefront/launcher, it's a subscription, and you need to quit acting so triggered and learn some context reading before jumping to the defence of your favourite launcher, because I said none of what you think I did.

Yes, you really should look at the context. The people were asking what is wrong with the Game Pass app. The app would refer to the launcher or storefront. It doesn't matter that Game Pass is a subscription. The games still download from a central app/launcher/storefront. Part of the issue that I have with Game Pass is that their app/launcher/storefront installs games in such a way as to render them difficult (or even impossible) to mod.

The only part of my initial post that you could be referring to me getting triggered was this:

Quit acting like there is no plausible reason to prefer another storefront to Game Pass other than "zealots".

Please explain to me how that translates to "triggered". That you jumped straight to "triggered" in your response to me, as well as telling me to use context as if I am the ignorant child in this back-and-forth, shows me just how easily offended you were. What is rich to me is that you also took what I said as being a platform warrior. What I said, though, is that this is an issue when comparing the Game Pass app to ANY other launcher/storefront. It wasn't specific to Steam at all. Even Epic (who I hate) is less restrictive than Game Pass when it comes to the installation of their games.

Do you get it now, or do you need to see a therapist to reign in those obviously strong feelings before you are able to work through what I said with logic?

P.S. I have Game Pass Ultimate as well.

qaac5Ks.png

Pretending that I am a platform warrior who is anti-Game Pass, especially based on the singular response I made to you, is idiotic at best.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
he people were asking what is wrong with the Game Pass app. The app would refer to the launcher or storefront
There's no such thing as a game pass app, game pass is a subscription.
as well as telling me to use context as if I am the ignorant child
Yes, because you failed to see the context I was replying to, I literally never said you can't or aren't allowed to have a "preference", but the fact that I have to explain this now means you might just well be "the ignorant child".

I already see this is going to be a waste of my energy, so you won't get any responses from my any more, knock yourself out making bad faith arguments though.

Avowed and Hellblade 2 are the only big AAA releases, and I would doubt either of those games has more than 100 developers working on them. Obsidian hasn't made a big successful AAA game since Fallout New Vegas. The Outer Worlds was good but very limited in scope. Hellblade 2 has possibly GOAT graphics but what else? Maybe Clockwork Evolutions releases? That game has potential to be something special. I really don't think Microsoft next big hitter is until Fable releases, which is probably still a ways off

Regardless, Gamepass will be a complete steal again. It's like Netflix 10 years ago. A complete bargain for 8$, but once Microsoft reaches the subscriber threshold they want, prices will get jacked through the roof. So get it while it's good i guess

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There is an Xbox app on PC, though, where Game Pass games are launched from. Isn't that what people are essentially referring to?
Of course there's an xbox app, but it's not a "game pass" app, it functions just fine to launch all the games you own, even if you don't have game pass.
FYI, there is a game pass app on my phone.
sure, but the conversation is about pc launchers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Avowed and Hellblade 2 are the only big AAA releases, and I would doubt either of those games has more than 100 developers working on them. Obsidian hasn't made a big successful AAA game since Fallout New Vegas. The Outer Worlds was good but very limited in scope. Hellblade 2 has possibly GOAT graphics but what else? Maybe Clockwork Evolutions releases? That game has potential to be something special. I really don't think Microsoft next big hitter is until Fable releases, which is probably still a ways off

Regardless, Gamepass will be a complete steal again. It's like Netflix 10 years ago. A complete bargain for 8$, but once Microsoft reaches the subscriber threshold they want, prices will get jacked through the roof. So get it while it's good i guess
I'd expect AA for Avowed. Hopefully some good writing.

Mr Hyde

Avowed and Hellblade 2 are a given. Flintlock looks pretty cool too, judging by the trailers. Curious about Stalker, never played any game in that franchise, but I'll probably wait for reviews and impressions on that one.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
There's no such thing as a game pass app, game pass is a subscription.

Yes, because you failed to see the context I was replying to, I literally never said you can't or aren't allowed to have a "preference", but the fact that I have to explain this now means you might just well be "the ignorant child".

I already see this is going to be a waste of my energy, so you won't get any responses from my any more, knock yourself out making bad faith arguments though.

This is the context:

Their PC app still sucks….after all these years….
Coming from someone who just dabbles into PC gaming. What makes it so bad? Whenever I download a game from Gamepass on PC I’ve never had a problem. I download and click to play it.

Only thing that has annoyed me is I always have to reselect what drive to download to.
It's not steam; the steam zealots irrationally hate everything that's not steam.

And for the other conversation:

Their PC app still sucks….after all these years….
Genuinely asking...what is wrong with it? Just recently bought an decent gaming laptop for on the go and been using Windows store since I bought it, haven't had any issues with it but it's only been 3 months and I'm on win11

Both of the people you responded to were referring to the "PC app", which is the Xbox app (and what was being referred to as the Game Pass app). The app is how you download Game Pass games. Follow the conversation that you elected to participate in before you reply to people. Did you think that you could just think of the word "download", and then Game Pass games would automagically be on the computer computer? Be more intelligent in the future.

Last edited:

Del_X

I just don't have time for all this shit tbqh. I'm at the point where I'd rather wait for sales and spend a little more than have to worry about "will I get to it in time?"

Really good list overall, though January and February have nothing that I’m interested in.

Looking forward to:
- Avowed
- MS Flight Sim 2024
- Hellblade II
- STALKER II
- Jedi Survivor
- Still Wakes the Deep
- Flintlock
- Harold Halibut
- Ghost Bike
- Replaced

That’s an excellent foundation for the year.

Last edited:

tommib

Flintlock looks good. If it has environmental puzzles on top of the action, we could be looking at something special.

Chukhopops

It's a fan-made graphic, not something official put out by Xbox/Game Pass social.

Silksong may very well release in '24.
My bad it looked official enough to me.
Neon White is also coming to Game Pass:

Looking forward to that one as well!
Don’t miss out on this one, it’s really good.

Fredrik

Not bad.

I should really use my GP more but I always end up just buying the game on Steam to avoid the PC GP app.
I have no real issue with the app but for me it’s the less restricted modding and Steam Deck that is pulling me toward Steam. And once I’m there, or in rare occasions when I start with GP version, it’s the lack of save syncing that makes me avoid swapping. I think they need to sort that out. Bring down the walls. Let me use cloud syncing from any version.

Alebrije

Stalker is the only Game i AM interested , hope it can run well streamed on My X box one X, no way I Will Buy a Series X for one game

niesl9wc819c1.jpeg

Just from this list alone, I'm playing Persona 3 Reload, STALKER 2, Harold Halibut, Little Kitty Big City, Still Wakes the Deep, Flintlock, Avowed, Flight Simulator 2024, REPLACED, and Hellblade II. Not to mention all the games that are going to be added through the year.

Personally looking forward to Avowed the most though. Looks like a ton of fun.
Is Hello Kitty Island Adventure on Gamepass yet?

Coming from someone who just dabbles into PC gaming. What makes it so bad? Whenever I download a game from Gamepass on PC I’ve never had a problem. I download and click to play it.

Only thing that has annoyed me is I always have to reselect what drive to download to.
It's ok these days it's just Steam is a behemoth compared to any other platform UI. I've had issues with it transferring games from 1 drive to another but other than that it's ok these days, needs more features and a bit more polish. Also a way to have games launch from Steam to use Steam input because Lord knows MS will never make an equivalent half as good.

Top Bottom