• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Countdown to 2013 sale [begins Dec 18th]

Galdelico

Just a warning about THPSHD. the seven new songs are.....sucky
On a certain extent - and also given the discounted price - I think I could pick it up and be fine with it... It would be just another entertaining game.
But the lack of skater's editor is unforgivable and such a deadly deal-breaker for me.

Xevren

I would have purchased it, if not for the lack of Local Player 2 Saving. A SECOND PLAYER CANNOT SAVE THEIR CHARACTER. So they have to start over from LVL 1 each time you play. HORRIBLE oversight, no attempt to fix after all this time... yeah, not worth it for me. They don't even attempt to give the player a pre-leveled character, or anything like that? Really, REALLY stupid.

Sad too, because I did like the "arcadey" nature of the controls, it feels more like a hack-and-slash, and less like a dice-rolls-in-the-BG RPG.

Someone in the XBLA thread brought up the fact that you can only lvl once per each of the 25 stages as well, and after that, enemies give you inconsequential EXP. Thus, after reaching a lvl, all the fighting is kind of pointless (well, I guess not for loot), driving one to want to rush through the stages, until they're able to level again.

That doesn't bother me as much in concept, but it's worth noting.

But if you're mostly going to play SP, or have no issue with the above, then dive right in:)

Ooooo, cool. I love these types of games and tend to only play solo anyway. Glad I read the past page about the game, will play it tomorrow.

Card Boy

Banned
Hybrid bomba!

The game was DOA at release with minimal support or balancing (meaning none). Jackson was arrogant. Unless you want to play with the same people and spend ages looking for a game i would avoid.

Cheddahz

Banned
Hmm really regret picking up Bully and not being able to download it, I would have much rather gotten Dust at this point

Combat was too simple in the demo for me, and the reviews make it seem like you can get past with just that for the most part, I'll pass on dust.

Card Boy

Banned
Just with the Dust demo, it skips alot of opening areas that you would normally get in the full game plus the demo starts you off much stronger. Also play on Tough at the bear minimum.

Combat was too simple in the demo for me, and the reviews make it seem like you can get past with just that for the most part, I'll pass on dust.

If you do end up buying the game play it on hard from the get go, it has more of a challenge to it and gear becomes much more important, the demo has you rather beefed up.

It's as deep or as shallow as you want it to be. Give the full game a chance, I think you'll be very surprised by how good it is.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So does anyone recommends either deadlight or Hybrid? Heard some bad stuff about both those games. I already have dust.

angelfly

Picked up Dust. I've been wanting to for a long time now but never got around to it. Going to grab the Deadlight and Hybrid demos and give those a whirl later.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Deadlight. So far it's been Mark of the Ninja and Deadlight. Waiting on the Borderlands 2 Season Pass and perhaps The Walking Dead if it's cheap enough.

Had the trial for Dust since it released and finally picked it up. The art style and animations are superb. Cant wait to dive into it. Picked up Rayman Origins too and waiting on the Skyrim DLC on New Year's Eve. Wooo!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've got Dust and Fez so far. I will get The Walking Dead and Bully next week I think. May snag the Borderlands 2 Season Pass if it isn't too spendy.

I've got Dust and Fez so far. I will get The Walking Dead and Bully next week I think. May snag the Borderlands 2 Season Pass if it isn't too spendy.
I guess Dust isn't up yet on the west coast. They usually come up a few hours before midnight. It's 30 minutes after.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm actually considering getting a 360 (maybe not specifically for this sale but by god I want Trials Evolution).

Trials Gold is coming out on PC early next year. It will include every level from both Evo and HD. Having said that grab a 360 for all the awesome games though.

Having said that grab a 360 for all the awesome games though.
You may have to articulate further on this. I know what I'm looking forward to, certainly (GTA V) and I know what I want to avoid (most console FPS games bar Halo since Halo is good for shenanigans at least) but I don't really know what is good.

EDIT: Aside from RDR. I'm pretty confident that's really good.

I totally forgot that you can simply go to the game and download it directly. All night I'm waiting for the "countdown to 2013" thing to display it, like a dumb ass.

Well so far I got Peggle Nights, Mark of the Ninja and Dust.

The Walking Dead is next.

I forgot that Dust existed/came out this year, well worth the 600 space bucks if anyone's on the fence. I have to make revisions to my GOTY list, now that I remembered its existence.

Eusis

Dead light is bad, unfortunately.

Probably my biggest disappointment of the year
Probably for the best I got it on PC then, where it was on sale for $5 standalone.

Grabbed Dust, and grabbed Fez a few days ago. I think that's all I want out of this sale.

Grabbed the following games so far:

Fez
Mark of the Ninja
Deadlight
Hybrid
Happy Action Theater (free)
Jet Set Radio

waiting for The Walking Dead deal to grab episodes 3-4-5.

Love these Xmas XBLA sales. This is how I got Limbo, Braid, Trials HD and other games a few years back.

Grabbed the following games so far:

Fez
Mark of the Ninja
Deadlight
Hybrid
Happy Action Theater (free)
Jet Set Radio

waiting for The Walking Dead deal to grab episodes 3-4-5.

Love these Xmas XBLA sales. This is how I got Limbo, Braid, Trials HD and other games a few years back.
Is Happy Action Theater and Kinect Party the same thing? When I looked up HAT it showed the same games from KP.

Is Deadlight worth it? It intruiges me.

Deadlight is decent. Nothing great but not overly bad. I got every achievement in it and had a pretty good time exploring and only recall having a few sections where I felt truly frustrated. Felt like mix of Limbo and classic Prince of Persia. Fairly linear path to move forward with very minor exploration (it's not a Metroidvania, as many seem to believe/hope).

I actually enjoyed reading the journal entries for the story but all around the best I can say is that the game looks nice and plays decently. You'll have moments of frustration but it's worth $7.50 (it's 600 points, right?).

Is Happy Action Theater and Kinect Party the same thing? When I looked up HAT it showed the same games from KP.
Oh man, I'm a dumbass. I already have Double Fine Happy Action Theater and now I got this "HAT 2" or Kinect party as it's called. Sorry about the confusion.

Card Boy

Banned
Hybrid multiplayer only? Tempting for 400ms, but if the community it going to be dead in a month why bother?

It was dead on arrival. A one day sale isn't going to save it, it needs like a 1 week. The core game is fantastic but it is plagued by a bad matchmaking system and overpowered killstreaks. The Xbox Live online community doesn't really like online only XBLA games unless its BF1943.

What didn't you like about it? I just watch a little bit of gameplay video and it has my interest, so far.

Has basically the worst story in any videogame ever, terrible writing, buggy, awful unresponsive controls, and the game just runs out of ideas after about half an hour and so resorts to some really tired mechanics just to extend the run-time a slight bit. Hey, let's tack a shooting section on even though our controls aren't even close to good enough to deal with it.

It's also VERY short.

No, there was a bug that recorded 2 hour times on the leaderboard though.

I'd say at least 4 to 5 hours.

All that "bug" was, was not counting the time you spent dying and restarting. The actual game is about 1-1.5 hours long if that, but you're looking at 3 or so the first time through. It's still very short, and it FEELS short, unlike something like LIMBO which is short but manages to feel finished.

Top Bottom