• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

Sizzle55

The new replacement X runs like butter! A world better than my faulty one. So happy with it, everything is snappy and plays well. Just was unlucky to get a dud on launch day

sniffy

Neo Member
Purchased an X today to go with my OG PS4. It's certainly not silent in PUBG, but the noise is definitely acceptable. I think what surprised me most is how much it weighs for how small it is. I kinda like the weight though, it feels like a tank.

MilkyJoe

Purchased an X today to go with my OG PS4. It's certainly not silent in PUBG, but the noise is definitely acceptable. I think what surprised me most is how much it weighs for how small it is. I kinda like the weight though, it feels like a tank.

Mine's silent during Battlefront... :confused:

MilkyJoe

Well paying attention to it now, it's silent in game but the main menu is when I can actually hear the fan.

The only time I can ever hear the fan is loading screens on 2 or 3 games. Then it's silent during. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

Pac3y

Looks like my Project Scorpion console has just died, got a display when i turned it on started Recore then lost the display and now i cant get anything to show just a black screen have tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds and unplugging the system from the wall for 1 minute and also the display reset (eject + power) and still no display. Is there anything else to try?

What the best thing to do contact Amazon (UK) or Microsoft as i doubt ill get another Project Scorpio system will i...which im pretty pissed about!!

You do get a Scorpio replacement, seeing as i'm on my 3rd replacement. No confidence in the machine though, expect it to die like the rest - If so, the replacement is getting sold and i'm done with it.

Edit: Also remember if you go for the advanced exchange you're gonna have to drop £470ish, that MS hold until they receive the faulty one back.

Last edited:
Looks like my Project Scorpion console has just died, got a display when i turned it on started Recore then lost the display and now i cant get anything to show just a black screen have tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds and unplugging the system from the wall for 1 minute and also the display reset (eject + power) and still no display. Is there anything else to try?

What the best thing to do contact Amazon (UK) or Microsoft as i doubt ill get another Project Scorpio system will i...which im pretty pissed about!!
I was in this same boat and complained a bunch of pages back.. it’s a serious bummer and I feel your pain. I ended up returning it to amazon and buying a new normal one from Best Buy. I personally didn’t want the headache from the Scorpio edition not working, plus the odds on getting another broken one were too high.

Let us know how it turns out!

Memnoch

Mine is always completely silent.

SenaxxNL

I had togo trough 3 Xbox One X Scorpio ecditions. First one overheated after 5 minutes of Wolfenstein 2 or Halo. They send me a advanced replacement, but that one was even more broken than the 1st one, after a splash screen from any game it did turn itself off. So I did send the broken 2nd one back and received the 3rd one which is completely silent and works perfectly now.

Lettuce

I was in this same boat and complained a bunch of pages back.. it’s a serious bummer and I feel your pain. I ended up returning it to amazon and buying a new normal one from Best Buy. I personally didn’t want the headache from the Scorpio edition not working, plus the odds on getting another broken one were too high.

Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah i was just considering sending it back to Amazon rather than MS themselves, im guess it would be quicker sending it back to Amazon but then i wouldn't get a Project Scorpio edition console back and just a normal one.........that said it does seem to be the Project Scorpio consoles that fail the most and the fan on mine was super loud so maybe its not a bad thing...i wonder if they'd notice if i just put in a standard black pad and kept the Project Scorpio pad!?. In fact i cam make some money as the X's are £20 cheaper now than when i bought it back in November, so if i just send my system back as faulty return/refund and buy a new one im quids in!

Whats the turn around in the UK for Microsoft fixing your console?.

Last edited:

SenaxxNL

Yeah i was just considering sending it back to Amazon rather than MS themselves, im guess it would be quicker sending it back to Amazon but then i wouldn't get a Project Scorpio edition console back and just a normal one.........that said it does seem to be the Project Scorpio consoles that fail the most and the fan on mine was super loud so maybe its not a bad thing...i wonder if they'd notice if i just put in a standard black pad and kept the Project Scorpio pad!?. In fact i cam make some money as the X's are £20 cheaper now than when i bought it back in November, so if i just send my system back as faulty return/refund and buy a new one im quids in!

Whats the turn around in the UK for Microsoft fixing your console?.

Microsoft themselves should have enough Scorpios to last a while for faulty units. If you take the advanced trade they reserve an amount on your CC and send you the new Scorpio first before you have to send in your new one. (they did reserve € 570 on my CC, and i had 4 week to return it after I signed for receiving the replacement, but they cleared it after 3 days after sending mine in)

Lettuce

How am i going to be able to get all my details off the console if im unable to get a display, is there a way to force a factory reset that wipes the internal harddrive?

Last edited:

SenaxxNL

How am i going to be able to get all my details off the console if im unable to get a display, is there a way to force a factory reset that wipes the internal harddrive?

The send me the following details:
  • Unplug the network cable if you're using a wired network connection.
  • Power off your console, and then unplug the power cord to ensure that the console is completely powered off.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back in.
  • Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your console.
  • Press and hold the BIND button (located on the lower button of the power button) and the EJECT button (located on the front of the console), and then press the Xbox button on the console.
  • Continue holding the BIND and EJECT buttons for 10-15 seconds then tap the power button.
  • Listen for two “power-up” tones a couple of seconds apart.
    Note If you don't hear two power-up tones after 15 seconds, it means this failed. Likewise, if you hear any “power-down” chirps, that also means this failed.
  • You can release the BIND and EJECT buttons after the second power-up tone. We must see TORUBLESHOOT on the screen then there will be an option to select the RESET DEFAULT (FACTORY). Then choose Keep my Games and Apps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to say that my Xbox One X has had a minor issue with the controller randomly disconnecting.

I had seen this issue happen with my original Xbox One, but it disappeared once I upgraded to the S, since presumably they changed the connection type.

It's odd to see this return now that I have an X.

Lettuce

The send me the following details:
  • Unplug the network cable if you're using a wired network connection.
  • Power off your console, and then unplug the power cord to ensure that the console is completely powered off.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back in.
  • Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your console.
  • Press and hold the BIND button (located on the lower button of the power button) and the EJECT button (located on the front of the console), and then press the Xbox button on the console.
  • Continue holding the BIND and EJECT buttons for 10-15 seconds then tap the power button.
  • Listen for two “power-up” tones a couple of seconds apart.
    Note If you don't hear two power-up tones after 15 seconds, it means this failed. Likewise, if you hear any “power-down” chirps, that also means this failed.
  • You can release the BIND and EJECT buttons after the second power-up tone. We must see TORUBLESHOOT on the screen then there will be an option to select the RESET DEFAULT (FACTORY). Then choose Keep my Games and Apps.

Yeah i have read that guide but im not sure if its working or not as i cant see a display

trickyaudio

Neo Member
My OG Xbox One is awfully laggy in the UI, and always a few clicks behind what im inputting with the controller. And the storefront can take an age to load at times. Anyone know if this has improved with he X, or even the One S? Would consider and upgrade if so.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My OG Xbox One is awfully laggy in the UI, and always a few clicks behind what im inputting with the controller. And the storefront can take an age to load at times. Anyone know if this has improved with he X, or even the One S? Would consider and upgrade if so.
The UI is snappier, but in my experience the store is still laggy. It seems to lazy load and hangs up if you scroll down too fast.

Artistic

Doubt it, but have you tried a hard reset?

MilkyJoe

So your saying if you put your phone a few inches about the side vent when playing a 4k game with a sound meter app it is the same db as the ambient sound of your room?

Of course I'm not saying that, only an idiot would do that.

I'm saying that playing Battlefront the console is inaudible.

Well paying attention to it now, it's silent in game but the main menu is when I can actually hear the fan.

That's a developer oversight. It happens with far too many modern games of all budget sizes. Whoever coded the menus in PUBG have left the game menu running in an unlocked framerate, so the menu on your X is running at 100% system load (and some insane internal framerate). It's a personal pet hate of mine; it happens in PC games all the time until a patch is released that magically locks the frame rate in the game menus to 60/30fps. The fact that this still happens in modern game development really irks me (I write indie games and this is an incredibly stupid thing to do and a very, very simple thing to avoid).

CDPR, even accidentally did this in Gwent (2D card game) within the Witcher 3, initially. It was the only time I ever heard a noise come from my OG Xbox One until they released a patch to fix it.

Last edited:
Well didn't think I was gonna pull the trigger on the x till I got any crackdown info but took a shot In the dark and bid on eBay got a Scorpio ed for 415 s to hoping it doesn't have any problems like some of the Scorpio here can't wait to try some og Xbox games out

pawel86ck

Banned
My xbox X standard edition is almost totally silent, I can barely hear anything even while playing 4K resolution games, and in dashboard I cant even tell if my console is running or not. My impressions are mostly possitive, but there are some things that should be improved/fixed.
-5.1 sound through optical cable doesnt work correctly (for example I can hear just one speaker) and I'm forced to use stereo. I have no problems with all my other consoles, so it's xbox X fault for sure.
-in halo 5 I had missing sounds even in stereo mode. I had to chane my region and language settings to english and only then game has download missing sounds.
-sometimes games dont want to start, and I have to restart my console to fix that problem
-it's not possible to buy most xbox classic games in my region (Poland), only red faction 2, prince of persia 1, KOTOR 1
-it's not possible to use 360 gamepad. The thing is, xbox X/S gamepads are different, and xbox360 games were made with standard x360 controller in mind, not xbox X/S controller. Because of that aiming in all x360 BC games on xbox X feels just wrong. I don get it, microsoft is making great BC feature, yet they ruin whole experience with restrictions like that in the end.

Last edited:
You do get a Scorpio replacement, seeing as i'm on my 3rd replacement. No confidence in the machine though, expect it to die like the rest - If so, the replacement is getting sold and i'm done with it.

Edit: Also remember if you go for the advanced exchange you're gonna have to drop £470ish, that MS hold until they receive the faulty one back.

Yeah, the majority of issues I read were on the Scorpio. I sent mine in and they fixed it but I had the same problems, overheating, crashes. I finally just sent it back to Amazon for a refund. I did try MS again but they would not commit to sending me a new one. Im not paying $500 for a refurb, especially when mine was now a refurb not working. That service center stinks.

kingwingin

impulse bought an X last night and so far im very impressed. On the drive home i was kinda bummed because i dont have a 4k tv and would be missing out on a key feature but man does it look good with supersampling. It is a very noticeable improvment compared to just 1080p.

Only had a chance to try a few games before bed but man did gears 4 looks crisp online, witcher 3 at 60fps is godlike and its nice to see xbox 360 BC games that didnt quite run well are now at a solid framerate.

So glad i bought it, cant wait for more games to get enhanced patches

Dimorphic

So I have $400 in gift cards I got for my birthday and an Xbox One S. I don’t have a 4K TV yet but do plan on getting one this year. I can essentially get the One X for “free” with the gift cards and trading my One S.

Is it worth it? Is the 1080p upgrade noticeable enough?

njean777

So I have $400 in gift cards I got for my birthday and an Xbox One S. I don’t have a 4K TV yet but do plan on getting one this year. I can essentially get the One X for “free” with the gift cards and trading my One S.

If you plan to get a 4k tv I would def upgrade.

Do it. Supersampling/downsampling looks fantastic on a 1080p TV. If you sit close to your screen, the improvement will be immediately noticable. It vastly improves image quality beyond native res (or sub-1080p for a lot of Xbox One games). There's a reason why PC gamers use downsampling all the time.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Do it. Supersampling/downsampling looks fantastic on a 1080p TV. If you sit close to your screen, the improvement will be immediately noticable. It vastly improves image quality beyond native res (or sub-1080p for a lot of Xbox One games). There's a reason why PC gamers use downsampling all the time.
Do you have to set an XB1X to download 4K enhancements if you transfer games on a usb drive from an OG XB1 to an XB1X?

Do you have to set an XB1X to download 4K enhancements if you transfer games on a usb drive from an OG XB1 to an XB1X?

Once you transfer your games to the X and launch a game for the first time it'll automatically do the usual "it's time to update" message as soon as you launch a game whilst connected to the internet if there is an X patch. Otherwise, your Updates section under My Games and Apps will automatically list the games that you have installed that have Xbox One X updates available. Once updated, you can sort your games by the those that have Xbox One X updates in the Games section.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have 2 xbox one x machines.....one Scorpio one regular......both have super quiet and both have worked flawlessly so far.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I've been going back through Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, and the Xbox One X makes all the difference. I remember numerous drops in framerate on base hardware, especially when a large number enemies were on screen. I'm pretty positive it's a complete locked 60 now, I haven't noticed a single hitch or stutter in over 10 hours of playtime.

Last edited:

solis74

I've been going back through Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, and the Xbox One X makes all the difference. I remember numerous drops in framerate on base hardware, especially when a large number enemies were on screen. I'm pretty positive it's a complete locked 60 now, I haven't noticed a single hitch or stutter in over 10 hours of playtime.

Nice.

laeddis22

Neo Member
I have to say that my Xbox One X has had a minor issue with the controller randomly disconnecting.

I had seen this issue happen with my original Xbox One, but it disappeared once I upgraded to the S, since presumably they changed the connection type.

It's odd to see this return now that I have an X.

Same problem happened with my first One X, and I got a replacement of my full console. Go directly that way, if you're able to get free replacement ;)

So to my surprise my x came with that head phone doggle thing is this a necessity or can i just plug and play like the ds4?(dont have it yet just saw it was added)

Last edited:

splattered

Was there a large amount of game updates recently released?

My wife turned on her X1X yesterday and was greeted with a request of over 50 game updates... I suggested maybe something funky was up with her console right now because my profile is on it as my home machine?

Turned mine on and only had a Fortnite update.

Then I turn my machine on this morning and i'm met with 68 updates...!!!

And it's not just emulator updates from what I can tell, I have a good mixture of 360/XO games in this list.

Anyone else seeing this recently?

MilkyJoe

Was there a large amount of game updates recently released?

My wife turned on her X1X yesterday and was greeted with a request of over 50 game updates... I suggested maybe something funky was up with her console right now because my profile is on it as my home machine?

Turned mine on and only had a Fortnite update.

Then I turn my machine on this morning and i'm met with 68 updates...!!!

And it's not just emulator updates from what I can tell, I have a good mixture of 360/XO games in this list.

Anyone else seeing this recently?
When did you last turn it on? I turned mine on Saturday and had 8 updates

splattered

I turn it off and on every day and check for updates at least twice a day, so it was just a huge wave of updates that hit us all at once for some reason

imperium

Grrr. Bought the digital copy of Forza Horizons 3 & when I tried to start the game I got an error message about an issue with my saved games. I had to delete the local saves & allow them to sync from the cloud. When i launched AC:Origins it downloaded my cloud save & I discovered that had lost around 5 hours of progress. WTF. Haven't gone thru my other games to see if this happened across all my saves.

So far Im enjoying the X1X but in the short time Ive had it, Ive experienced more glitches than my launch PS4 Pro. Nothing that would led my to believe my console is dying but its been annoying.

Top Bottom