• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's first year: Microsoft Studios' 15 exclusives, incl. 8 brand-new franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuppy

Back at the Xbox Reveal there was the Microsoft Studios segment, which Phil Spencer, former corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios, showcased. At the end he presented a look at the bright future of the Xbox One and shared the infromation that during the first year there will be 15 exclusives, 8 of which are brand-new franchises.

Here is the video to refresh your memories.
a90bqo.png

To jumpstart this new generation of development Microsoft Studios is investing more than ever in studios around the world to create new and original IP for Xbox One. In fact we have more titles in development now than at any other time in Xbox history.

I'm proud to announce that Microsoft Studios plans to release more than 15 exclusive games in the first year of Xbox one. Eight of which are brand-new franchises.

Okay, so we are looking at:
  • Games only available for Xbox One
    Games — Retail or Xbox Live, whatever a game is a game, i.e.
    Xbox Fitness - doesn't count, as it is a service
    Killer Instinct - counts once for its original release, later expansions doesn't (Season 2) (as would future D4 episodes)
    only available for Xbox One — personally I would say that this is as of announcement and release, not backdated, i.e.
    Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome - count, as they were announced and released as Xbox One exclusive, the release for PC was announced at a (much) later date
    LocoCycle, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood - don't count, as they were released first on Xbox One, but not announced as exclusive to Xbox One​
  • Games published by Microsoft Studios
  • Games released until November 22, 2014
    pretty sure Sunset Overdrive and Halo: The Master Chief Collection won't be delayed, also don't think any other accounted game will release within the remaining time
    Fable Legends will have a multiplayer beta on October 16, no release date is know as of yet though, but at the beginning of this year ntkrnl pointed towards summer 2015​

Wikipedia makes it fairly easy to tell:
Crimson Dragon
Release: November 22, 2013
Developer: Grounding Inc

Dead Rising 3
Developer: Capcom Vancouver

Forza Motorsport 5
Developer: Turn 10 Studios

Killer Instinct
Developer: Double Helix Games

Powerstar Golf
Developer: Zoë Mode

Ryse: Son of Rome
Developer: Crytek Frankfurt

Kinect Sports Rivals
Release: 8 April 2014
Developer: Rare

Dance Central Spotlight
Release: September 2, 2014
Developer: Harmonix

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Release: September 18, 2014
Developer: Access Games Inc

Sunset Overdrive
Release: October 28, 2014
Developer: Insomniac Games

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Release: November 11, 2014
Developer: 343 Industries

That makes: 11 exclusives, incl. 5 new IPs

Alright, first of all please feel free to correct me if I forgot a game, accounted a game I shouldn't have or even something more fundamental, I'll try to respond quickly.

Starting this thread I had no idea how the list would turn out, it wasn't my intention to call Microsoft out, and it isn't now. Games get delayed, Microsoft could have just said Launch Window, like Nintendo, and they would have been fine, more or less. In fact I would have been very glad to say that Microsoft delivered on their statement, despite the movement of pushing games to 2015. And this is also my personal opinion, it's no biggy, Microsoft maybe should have been more careful stating exact numbers, but again they aren't the only one dealing with a very slow flow of software at launch.

As for the thread now, I guess you can comment on the premise and if you are satisfied with the outcome nonetheless or if you are disappointed about a broken promise. After all I remember some posts that were pretty impressed by this 15 exclusives statement and validated their purchase on it.

It might also be interesting to speculate which games Microsoft Studios must have had in mind back then. The list is short of 3 exclusive IPs plus 1 exclusive. I guess Forza Horizon 2 was supposed to be the other exclusive, since the 360 port still is quite odd, seems like a reaction to sales numbers. As for new IPs, although you shouldn't rely on a release window by Remedy I think Microsoft might have done exactly that, besides that unsure.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maybe they assumed the Black Tusk stealth game would be in that release window until they canned it for Gears of War?

kuppy

Missed Ori and Max
Ori releases on PC day one and later also on 360. Max was announced as Xbox 360 title and was always going to be released on 360 (stated in OP).

missing Forza Horizon 2
Released on 360 (stated in OP).

Ori and the Blind Forest? Project Spark?
Spark is PC, and 360.

Maybe they assumed the Black Tusk stealth game would be in that release window until they canned it for Gears of War?
Yeah, might have been it, although they stated the concept from E3 was always just concept and not actual game development, iirc.

12. Ori & Blind Forest (new IP #6)
13. Project Spark (new IP #7)
14. Quantum Break (new IP #8) <- assumption based upon ntkrl
15. Forza Horizon 2

Just because MS used the word 'exclusive' doesn't somehow definitively and implicitly mean that it's exclusive to XB1 only, and nowhere else. Remember that companies use those terms loosely depending on how they want to define their 'exclusives.'

Not sure why it matters that Ori and Spark are on PC/360. They are new IP and will be available on the X1.

After all, Phil makes no comment that these new IP are only exclusive to X1.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm pretty sure Microsoft would be including Forza Horizon in that number, yes its on 360 as well (is it even the same game though?) but i'm pretty sure Microsoft mean 'Not on Playstation' when they say 'exclusive'.

Since they were ported to the PC, is it fair to list Ryse and Dead Rising 3 on that list?

I don't think its a question of whether are PC releases are relevant, its a question of what Phil Spencer was referring to when he said those 15 games, MS have a habit of stretching their meaning quite a lot and I'd suspect he included Project Spark, Max (which he also referred to as a new IP once considering it had never been on an Xbox platform before), Ori, Forza Horizon 2 and Lococycle in that list.

Since they were ported to the PC, is it fair to list Ryse and Dead Rising 3 on that list?

You should question why the OP got them in the list, since it's explained.

They were announced as exclusive to XB1. The ports came much later.

I think it's fair enough, since it's about the first year of the console.

kuppy

What about Sony's 20 PS4 exclusives on first year?
Did Sony say that? I don't recall, if so we can also make a thread about that, if there isn't already one, I'm not biased just only remembered the Xbox statement.

• only available for Xbox One — personally I would say that this is as of announcement and release, not backdated, i.e.
    Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome - count, as they were announced and released as Xbox One exclusive, the release for PC was announced at a (much) later date
Wouldn't want to be that harsh and don't count them in.

Raist

Banned
Well, they hadn't yet specified a launch date... I'm fairly sure they weren't planning to launch that early.

cakely

Not sure why it matters that Ori and Spark are on PC/360. They are new IP and will be available on the X1.

After all, Phil makes no comment that these new IP are only exclusive to X1.

The bullet point on that Xbox One presentation clearly says "15 Exclusives", and if he didn't mean "15 Xbox One exclusives" certainly everyone still would assume that's what he meant.

Tagg9

Shu Yoshida also stated that Sony Worldwide Studios had "20 [games that] are going to ship within the first year of the console's life, and of those, 12 are new IP". I wonder if they lived up to that?

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. InFamous: Second Son
  5. MLB 14: The Show
  6. Entwined
  7. The Last of Us Remastered
  8. Hohokum
  9. InFamous: First Light
  10. Driveclub
  11. LittleBigPlanet 3

Note that I haven't included any PS4 ports (with the exception of The Last Of Us). The number of new IPs in that list is 5.

cakely

Did Sony say that? I don't recall, if so we can also make a thread about that, if there isn't already one, I'm not biased just only remembered the Xbox statement.

Wouldn't want to be that harsh and don't count them in.

Missed that, good point, it makes sense.

VinFTW

Solid thread, appreciate the analysis (not /s). Personally I feel like the term exclusive is too subjective to really judge right or wrong. What MS feels is exclusive is entirely different from what someone else would. IMO, they probably think "not on playstation" = exclusive, personally I think a game like Forza Horizon 2 IS exclusive, since it's actually a different/better game than its Xbox 360 counterpart.

Dragon

Banned
Replier seems to have replied to the OP without reading their criteria.

Ori says goodbye.

They said Xbox One, only. So no Xbox One & (360 &/or PC) titles.

It's not the first time that bear got stung by bees reaching for honey...

Solid thread, appreciate the analysis. Personally I feel like the term exclusive is too subjective to really judge right or wrong. What MS feels is exclusive is entirely different from what someone else would. IMO, they probably think "not on playstation" = exclusive, personally I think a game like Forza Horizon 2 IS exclusive, since it's actually a different/better game than its Xbox 360 counterpart.

MS is the one that defined the term exclusive in this case, look at the reply above.

i'm pretty sure Microsoft mean 'Not on Playstation' when they say 'exclusive'.

Exactly this. "Exclusive" means "not on competing consoles". It doesn't even mean "not on PC". A game that was on 360 and PC last gen would be touted as "exclusive". Now Microsoft has 2 viable consoles for a while, that's all.

Replier seems to have replied to the OP without reading their criteria.

They said Xbox One, only. So no Xbox One & (360 &/or PC) titles.

OP's criteria does not align with Microsoft's. Simple as that.

VinFTW

Shu Yoshida also stated that Sony Worldwide Studios had "20 [games that] are going to ship within the first year of the console's life, and of those, 12 are new IP". I wonder if they lived up to that?

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. InFamous: Second Son
  5. MLB 14: The Show
  6. Entwined
  7. The Last of Us Remastered
  8. Hohokum
  9. InFamous: First Light
  10. Driveclub
  11. LittleBigPlanet 3

When did they say that? If so, further off than MS was, yikes.

The bullet point on that Xbox One presentation clearly says "15 Exclusives", and if he didn't mean "15 Xbox One exclusives" certainly everyone still would assume that's what he meant.

MS are odd in that they don't consider PC ports as taking away from their console games being exclusive.

Their definition of exclusive means not on other consoles. They don't care about the PC enough to see their exclusives games releasing on that platform as diminished in any way.

It's not the first time that bear got stung by bees reaching for honey...

MS is the one that defined the term exclusive in this case, look at the reply above.

Show us the quote where Microsoft said "Xbox One only", since you've decided to play backup here.

OP's criteria does not align with Microsoft's. Simple as that.

Why am I not surprised. This is the semantics game people have been trying to play for a while now. Suddenly PC ports are considered big deals in the console space, as if we're all supposed to pretend the PC market is directly competing with the console market.

The term exclusive shouldn't be subjective though. Exclusive to a platform means it is only coming to that platform. No other way about it. You can say Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive but it is not exclusive to the Xbox One. I'll hold them to that definition.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
All companies "overestimate" the speed of their output. Look at Nintendo's Wii U launch window which was supposed to be from launch to March 2013: Game & Wario, LEGO City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, and The Wonderful 101. Only one title made it (LEGO City Undercover).

Phil specifically says 'Microsoft Studios', so using our friends over at Wikipedia, I find this list.

Dead Rising 3 - exclusive at time of announcement, who knows what decision was made about timed exclusivity
Forza Motorsport 5
Killer Instinct Ultimate Edition
Ryse: Son of Rome - same as DR3
Zoo Tycoon

Forza Horizon 2
Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack
Kinect Sports Rivals

Coming in 2014
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive

Crackdown
Fable Legends - Likely included and delayed and pushed back
Halo 5: Guardians
Phantom Dust
Quantum Break - Likely included and delayed and pushed back
Scalebound
ScreamRide
State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition

The ones underlined I think are 'exclusive to Xbox One' and developed/published by MS Studios.

Make of it what you will...

Begaria

12. Ori & Blind Forest (new IP #6)
13. Project Spark (new IP #7)
14. Quantum Break (new IP #8) <- assumption based upon ntkrl
15. Forza Horizon 2

Just because MS used the word 'exclusive' doesn't somehow definitively and implicitly mean that it's exclusive to XB1 only, and nowhere else. Remember that companies use those terms loosely depending on how they want to define their 'exclusives.'

Pretty much this. Every time a company executive or a extremist fan of a console says "exclusive" for a game that's not actually exclusive, I immediately think:

you-keep-using-that-word1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom