• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's first year: Microsoft Studios' 15 exclusives, incl. 8 brand-new franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does super time force count as exclusive and new IP?
Neither. IP owned by Capy, and self-published by Capy

I mean, I guess exclusive, but have we determined if PC releases are excluded yet? It's not MS Studios though so doesn't really matter

Man, this is getting silly lol :/

Late Flag

Seems like MS did pretty well to me. Setting aside the semantic issue of what counts as an "exclusive" (and I think we all know that MS always meant "console exclusive" so that's the criteria we should go with), I'd think that people who bought X1s should be relatively pleased with the game library so far.

Kinyou

Neither. IP owned by Capy, and self-published by Capy

I mean, I guess exclusive, but have we determined if PC releases are excluded yet? It's not MS Studios though so doesn't really matter

Man, this is getting silly lol :/
Ah I see. And yeah the term exclusive has become a bit worthless. It mostly depends on where people themselves draw the lines

Crackdown is almost certainly not a 2015 title. Neither is Phantom Dust.

Crackdown is most assuredly not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Phantom Dust next year. It is being rebuilt from the ground up, but it's still a remake not a sequel and likely a digital only title ala Killer Instinct.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So it was bad to release Forza Motorsport 5, you know that Forza game before Horizon 2, only for Xbox One? Exclusive games make up system sales after all.

Even MS doesn't consider FH2 360 as a port of the XB1 version, they say it's "inspired" by the XB1 version and it's being developed by a completely different studio. The two versions have many differences.

EDIT: Here is the quote I was thinking of from this article

"It's based in the same world, it's based on the same themes," Playground Games creative director Ralph Fulton said of the Xbox 360 version. "Rather than thinking of them as the same game on different platforms, they are different games inspired by the same ideas."

fantomena

I see Xbone exclusives as games that ONLY are available on Xbone, not PC, not X360, not PS4, only Xbone. So Ori, Max, DR3, Ryse. Project Spark, TitanFall, Below, Super Time Force, Lococycle, Halo: Sparthan Assault are not Xbone exclusives imo since they are available on Windows/PC too.

Same thing goes to PS4 eclusives. They need to ONLY be available on PS4, not PC, not PS3 etc.

Aeqvitas

If we are gonna hold MS accountable to their promise, we have to do it in terms of what they consider exclusive. Despite what some may say, there is not one singular, absolute definition of the term "exclusive" when it comes to video games. One reasonable use is "does not appear on competitors' platforms." That is clearly what MS means, and how it has used the term since OG xbox. That is the baseline for what we hold them accountable to.

OP is doing mental gymnastics to push a clear agenda. Coming up with your own arbitrary definitions and trying to hold MS accountable to that is pretty blatant agenda pushing. If the real issue is a debate for what the term "exclusive" means, that should be a different, platform-agnostic discussion.

Basically, you can't hold someone accountable for your own, twisted interpretation of what they promised, but rather on what they meant.

Miles X

If we are gonna hold MS accountable to their promise, we have to do it in terms of what they consider exclusive. Despite what some may say, there is not one singular, absolute definition of the term "exclusive" when it comes to video games. One reasonable use is "does not appear on competitors' platforms." That is clearly what MS means, and how it has used the term since OG xbox. That is the baseline for what we hold them accountable to.

OP is doing mental gymnastics to push a clear agenda. Coming up with your own arbitrary definitions and trying to hold MS accountable to that is pretty blatant agenda pushing. If the real issue is a debate for what the term "exclusive" means, that should be a different, platform-agnostic discussion.

Basically, you can't hold someone accountable for your own, twisted interpretation of what they promised, but rather on what they meant.

Exactly.

I'm not going to say the OP is pushing an agenda (I really don't think he/she is). OP just needs to understand the criteria of the original comment by MS (Exclusive means not on any other non-MS console) and make the list accordingly or else the whole basis of it is flawed and pointless.

abadguy

Banned

Well said.

flkraven

So we are picking apart the comment that "MS will produce 15 exlusives" in a year. In today's climate, exclusive means either platform exclusive (XB1), console exclusive (XB1, PC), console-family exclusive (XB1, XB360, PC), or timed exclusive. Because his words are intentionally vague, we can't discuss what he specifically meant. But for reasons, some people insists that they mean platform exclusive? Can we be equally as liberal about the Microsoft Studios interpretation, and just count Titanfall or Super Time Force?

What is accomplished by having a narrow interpretation about these comments made a year ago?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Released on 360 (stated in OP).

Your OP doesn't seem to entertain the possibility that they view releasing on PC/Xbox One or Xbox One/360 as exclusive.

Yes, I know, that's not what exclusive means.

It doesn't make sense, though, to engage their statements on your terms rather than their terms. When they said 15 exclusives, they meant a certain definition of exclusive, and the time to discount their definition would have been then, not now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

There IS an absolute definition of the word "exclusive". It's the game companies that are coming up with THEIR own arbitrary, twisted definitions for THEIR agendas.

AmuroChan

I guess the question worth asking is, does it really matter? It seems like it only matters in the context of console warz arguments.

Generally no, but I like following the industry and observing how the Big 3 manage their resources in game development and the different approaches they each take. I find that highly interesting.

kuppy

I had and have no agenda, I only thought I rather be strict by definition. I knew the thread would result replies not agreeing. So I chose to rather have replies that tell to include additional titles than tell me that I included wrong titles. It's simple, I didn't want to be called out to be straight out wrong, but am somewhat okay with being right by my definition which might be questionable.

And it's not twisted, when you are speaking at an event about the Xbox One, only the Xbox One, and state its future, it's only fair to assume you are again talking only about this console, one might exclusively.

I'm not going to say the OP is pushing an agenda (I really don't think he/she is). OP just needs to understand the criteria of the original comment by MS (Exclusive means not on any other non-MS console) and make the list accordingly or else the whole basis of it is flawed and pointless.
Again, I'm not saying my definition is the right to be judged by, just it is the one by the books. And I know Microsoft takes this term however they like to.

?

No, because OP brought in another company into discussion

which is wrong too, considering that many launch window games missed the date
You mean Nintendo? I was only referring to Nintendo because they had the same problem but handled it different by definition (as I kind of believed when posting). As far as I consider this doesn't allow for there to be another list about Sony to point out they did just as bad, worse, better.
Just by word 'Launch Window' doesn't really have a expiration date attached to it, you may attach a certain time frame to it, but it can be stretched out until it's right, which a specific date can't.

Your OP doesn't seem to entertain the possibility that they view releasing on PC/Xbox One or Xbox One/360 as exclusive.

Yes, I know, that's not what exclusive means.

It doesn't make sense, though, to engage their statements on your terms rather than their terms. When they said 15 exclusives, they meant a certain definition of exclusive, and the time to discount their definition would have been then, not now.
Oh come on, that was post #11, and a reply to a 3 word post. I wanted to tell the poster he/she should first read the entire OP and then start arguing against, by all means against the principals of it, but if so, then also do so.

As for my definition, I said a lot about it, maybe it was the only one I could actually rely on. Microsoft's sometimes means only Xbox One, sometimes Xbox family and other times not on PlayStation or Nintendo.

There IS an absolute definition of the word "exclusive". It's the game companies that are coming up with THEIR own arbitrary, twisted definitions for THEIR agendas.
This one is funny, thanks.

Nailed it. Quoting again for posterity.

nynt9

This. Looking at Spencer's quote:

Microsoft Studios is investing more than ever in studios around the world to create new and original IP for Xbox One. In fact we have more titles in development now than at any other time in Xbox history.

I'm proud to announce that Microsoft Studios plans to release more than 15 exclusive games in the first year of Xbox one.

There isn't any wiggle room there. He's talking about the Xbox One. And he says exclusive. People can move all the goalposts they want, but games like Ori and Forza are not exclusive.

There isn't any wiggle room there. He's talking about the Xbox One. And he says exclusive. People can move all the goalposts they want, but games like Ori and Forza are not exclusive.

I don't think it's moving goalposts at all. It's obvious MS considers PC/360/X1 games as exclusives. Also, it was an awesome lineup for year one.

Dragon

Banned
Yep and likewise including Infamous DLC as a full game, its hilarious.

First Light is a standalone game, has a platinum trophy, and got a retail release in EU. You're wrong.

And MS has been disingenuous for years about this stuff. It's worth pointing out from time to time, but frankly it's their MO. It's what they do. Look at how they handled Tomb Raider. They're incredibly insincere and shady about exclusivity.

RE_Player

I don't understand people being so dismissive towards the PC as a platform. If a game is for Xbox One and PC it is not an exclusive. Same goes for games that are on PC and PS4.

Dragon

Banned
I don't understand people being so dismissive towards the PC as a platform. If a game is for Xbox One and PC it is not an exclusive. Same goes for games that are on PC and PS4.

The difference here is, we're discussing what MS is defining as an exclusive. I agree with your definition but MS does not.

I didn't buy an XB1 because I ran the numbers that Phil Spencer was putting out. I bought it because it had fetters I liked, and they had a list of a really cool games I wanted to play. They executed on delivery of those games pretty well.

Unfortunately, they have taken a while to nail down the features in a way that I would have hoped was there rate launch. But after the October update, I feel like the XB1 will be finally be a substantial improvement over the 360's social features. It's pretty much there already, but the new snap features will make it easier to get to your friends list in the same way it was on the the 360.

Even if the numbers don't live up to Spencer's hype, I'm definitely not looking at the PS4 as the console that would have sold me better exclusive content. And I'm more than happy with the number of games I have to play.

Honestly, I don't think owners of either console, if they only own one, are going to be too unhappy with their purchase beaded on available games to play. It was slow going for awhile, but there is plenty of games to play, excessive or not, on both consoles.

le.phat

Lmao the original posted you quotes was so backwards, i was thinking this response as i was reading it. People are getting bent out of shape over people using the word 'exclusive' as it is meant instead of some dinky marketing way that adds all kinds loop holes and basically means fuck all.

You mean Nintendo? I was only referring to Nintendo because they had the same problem but handled it different by definition (as I kind of believed when posting). As far as I consider this doesn't allow for there to be another list about Sony to point out they did just as bad, worse, better.
Just by word 'Launch Window' doesn't really have a expiration date attached to it, you may attach a certain time frame to it, but it can be stretched out until it's right, which a specific date can't.

No, launch window was specific:

Nov 18, 2012-March 31, 2013

http://kotaku.com/5946519/heres-the-wii-us-official-lineup-for-launch-day-and-beyond

NickFire

I don't think many people mean any offense when they discount PC when discussing exclusives as between consoles. PC is a completely different beast compared to a closed and uniform console. It has fantastic benefits and some games consoles can only dream of running. But for many people, the cost of entry and complexity of PC gaming makes it a non-started when considering the platform.

PC has always been in a league of its own. Same sport, but different league with a few different rules.

le.phat

But pc is also microsoft, except when its also on mac. I guess? Can somebody redefine the word exclusive for me please? This is getting a bit confusing.

Dragon

Banned
But pc is also microsoft, except when its also on mac. I guess? Can somebody redefine the word exclusive for me please? This is getting a bit confusing.

Exclusive: Not on any other platform.

That's what the word means. If you want to refer to a game like Horizon you can say it's MS Platform exclusive or something dumb like that, but it's different. Same with something like LBP3.

Is powerstar golf any good?

I think it is outstanding. It lacks online head to head play, which is a bummer. But it delivers a deep and interesting game of golf that is far more realistic than you would expect.

They have a number of really cool score chasing leaderboards that make it convenient and easy to see how your friends are doing. You can play your friends ghosts and either just use ball placement to see how they did, or see the actually shots with animations.

While you can buy booster packs, I have never felt a need to buy a single one. You build up enough points to buy plenty of boosts. Better yet, the boosts do not over power the game. They are limited to a few times per round and contribute to the strategic play.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Did you read the quote I posted or...?

Yes, there are 3 separate sentences with lots of wiggle room.

First part:

Microsoft Studios is investing more than ever in studios around the world to create new and original IP for Xbox One.

True statement talking about XB1.

Second part:

In fact we have more titles in development now than at any other time in Xbox history.

Now he only talks about Xbox history, he's not longer talking about XB1 only.

Third part:

I'm proud to announce that Microsoft Studios plans to release more than 15 exclusive games in the first year of Xbox one.

Now he's talking about MS Studios which to means that a game that is on XB1 and 360 is still considered exclusive. Unless you think Sony doesn't think MLB The Show is an exclusive game because it came out for PS3 and PS4.

As others have said, it's clear when MS mentions an exclusive they mean it isn't coming to competing consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom