• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's first year: Microsoft Studios' 15 exclusives, incl. 8 brand-new franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Microsoft Studios part is what is always strange to me. They have only put out, what, 3-4 games by the end of the year made by actual MS studios, one of which is a remake collection? They have already had to find another developer to continue work on KI, Crytek is in ruins, and who knows where Insomniac goes after SO. So if the first year was supposed to fill people with confidence, I don't see it.

I tend to agree.

I think gamers hear that and think "OMG, 18 AAA exclusive games in ONE YEAR!" with no regard for how horribly illogical it would be to do so not to mention cost prohibitive.

But MS and Sony know this so they make vague statements and everyone loses their mind filling in the blanks with whatever game they want to see in there (It just has to be MechAssault 3 and Crimson Skies!) and buys the console.

But that's the game, so we all play along, I'm as guilty as anyone for buying into hype with zero reason to know a game will be good.

Being excited by numbers of games in the pipeline instead of actual game announcements is pretty stupid. Most companies nowadays release a significant amount of smaller-scale digital titles to supplement the smaller and smaller roster of AAA games. Anyone could guess a sizable amount of any 'numbers game' will include smaller titles.

Not to mention one publisher releasing 15+ AAA exclusives in one year would be foolish from a business perspective. People don't have infinite money to spend on games. Without hedging your product releases, marketing, focus, etc properly, you're just inviting bombas.

But I still appreciate publishers talking about X number of games planned for the fiscal year, etc. It allows us to guesstimate and have some amount of expectation of what they have planned in terms of how many titles they have in the pipeline.

goonergaz

Well using one metric they over-delivered.

Using the strictest metric they missed by two titles, and we know of at least two high profile delays (Quantum Break and Fable)

In which case you're implying MS were being clever with their wording...much like the new Tomb Raider exclusivity.

MS are odd in that they don't consider PC ports as taking away from their console games being exclusive.

Their definition of exclusive means not on other consoles. They don't care about the PC enough to see their exclusives games releasing on that platform as diminished in any way.
Well, considering they also make Windows, its not off base for them to see it that way. Its exclusive to Microsoft Platforms

kuppy

Either way you're still wrong about Nintendo. 4/5 games they said would make their launch window (which they gave a defined date) didn't make it. Nintendo is actually a bigger offender.
It sure took Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U a good while to come out, they definitely stretched the term of Launch Window. Don't know if we are on the same page, I didn't mean to defend Nintendo.

Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 are exclusive in all the ways that matter to MS and consumers.
Titanfall is published by EA, Forza Horizon is mentioned plenty in the thread.

RetroStu

Banned
Seeing how the OP chose to remove certain games from the list makes it blatantly obvious what the intention was. Removing Forza Horizon 2 because it has a mediocre 360 port made on a different engine by a different team? No one does that unless they're trying to make the list as small as they possibly can.

Yep and likewise including Infamous DLC as a full game, its hilarious.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Why are we arguing about the what exclusive means when we've known it means "not available on other companies consoles"...

Just because Sony and Nintendo ignore the PC market with their console games?

Shouldn't we applaud the fact that MS respects that market?

I guess if you want to be anal about the quote...

He is talking about MS Studios, and what their plans are during the timeframe of Xbox One launch date to Xbox One launch date + 365 days.

Therefore, it would still be a true statement if they released zero Xbox One games, and released 15 titles only available on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft Studios would still have released 15 exclusive titles from November 22nd 2013 to November 22nd 2014.

Yep, people need to better learn how to interpret. Especially since at the time, Phil was in charge of just MS studios, not the entire Xbox brand.

I honestly don't see what is so thread worthy, seems people just didn't understand the statement made by Phil.

Forza Horizon 2
Fable Legends
Quantum Break
Below
Ori
Project Spark
Titanfall

I'm sure they were including some of these titles in that number. Some got delayed and they decided to port the others to 360 or PC, it's really not that hard to figure out. You're really reaching.

Sydle

Why are we arguing about the what exclusive means when we've known it means "not available on other companies consoles"...

Just because Sony and Nintendo ignore the PC market with their console games?

Shouldn't we applaud the fact that MS respects that market?

Because list wars

AmuroChan

Not to MS. They don't see the person who will primarily game on the PC as someone they need to appeal to.

Their pitch is these games aren't on the PS4 or Wii U. That's enough for them.

I agree with all that. I'm talking more about existing 360 owners who are deciding which next-gen console to upgrade to. Like me for example, I have a 360. I know I can play Forza Horizon 2 and Ori on the 360. I also have PC though I don't really game on it all that much. I don't feel as much of a loss right now not having the X1 because some of these "exclusives" I can actually play on devices I already own. So I'm ok with waiting a little longer until more flagship titles like Halo 5 or Quantum Break come out next year that I know are truly exclusive to the XB1.

Ori releases on PC day one and later also on 360. Max was announced as Xbox 360 title and was always going to be released on 360 (stated in OP).

Released on 360 (stated in OP).

Spark is PC, and 360.

Yeah, might have been it, although they stated the concept from E3 was always just concept and not actual game development, iirc.

I think you are reading too much into it....MS counts exclusives even if they are on 360 and/or PC

JayEH

I guess if you want to be anal about the quote...

He is talking about MS Studios, and what their plans are during the timeframe of Xbox One launch date to Xbox One launch date + 365 days.

Therefore, it would still be a true statement if they released zero Xbox One games, and released 15 titles only available on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft Studios would still have released 15 exclusive titles from November 22nd 2013 to November 22nd 2014.

I'm not being "anal". I'm interpreting the quote in the context of the event it was stated which was the Xbox One REVEAL EVENT. Maybe you were being anal about my quote. And...I'm out.

I tend to agree.

I think gamers hear that and think "OMG, 18 AAA exclusive games in ONE YEAR!" with no regard for how horribly illogical it would be to do so not to mention cost prohibitive.

But MS and Sony know this so they make vague statements and everyone loses their mind filling in the blanks with whatever game they want to see in there (It just has to be MechAssault 3 and Crimson Skies!) and buys the console.

But that's the game, so we all play along, I'm as guilty as anyone for buying into hype with zero reason to know a game will be good.

I think it's fair enough to think about which studios are free and the probable games that might be in development, but I'd much rather be shown something, or told something, anything other than a number, because I know I'd never play all of them.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It sure took Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U a good while to come out, they definitely stretched the term of Launch Window. Don't know if we are on the same page, I didn't mean to defend Nintendo.

Well in the OP you said that they could have used the term Nintendo used ("Launch Window"). Except, Nintendo defined the launch window as ending on March 31st, 2013. All four of those games came out after that time. 2 more than half a year after launch, 1 of them almost a year after launch.

In terms of percentage of games coming after their promised dates after launch, Nintendo is the bigger "liar".

I say this because I almost made a similar thread at the end of last year about Nintendo's broken promises, and then I just realized that you should never, ever trust video game PR. Look at Nintendo promising Star Fox and Zelda in 2015. I look at those dates with a LOT of doubt. Remember when Xenoblade Chronicles X was due in 2014?

JaggedSac

Phil specifically says 'Microsoft Studios', so using our friends over at Wikipedia, I find this list.

The ones underlined I think are 'exclusive to Xbox One' and developed/published by MS Studios.

Make of it what you will...

Crackdown is almost certainly not a 2015 title. Neither is Phantom Dust.

Audible

Banned
From reading this thread, its safe to assume MS exclusive means only on Microsoft platforms (though OP doesn't want it this way).

It's weird that there always has to be some sort of console debate within each topic when only one is listed. Please make another thread for Sony as well and we can Shit that up with quotes from this thread.

AmuroChan

What's the definition of a "full game"? First Light had a retail release, does not need SS to play, and has a platinum trophy. Yes, it's a smaller $15 game, but are we saying then that games like Halo: Spartan Assault or Tomb Raider: Temple of Osiris also don't count as full games either?

I'm pretty sure neither MS or Sony lived up to their claims, although I don't know if they explicitly said 'Exclusive to PS4" or "Exclusive to Xbox One", so it could be that they only implied what we all assumed and so technically aren't lying.

From reading this thread, its safe to assume MS exclusive means only on Microsoft platforms (though OP doesn't want it this way).

It's weird that there always has to be some sort of console debate within each topic when only one is listed. Please make another thread for Sony as well and we can Shit that up with quotes from this thread.

Basically.

TalonJH

True that delays happen but looking at this it seems MS were being overly optomistic - we're talking quite a large chunk % wise

Agreed but what company is not optimistic? When you have investors, you need to be optimistic. MS and Sony shouldn't be held to their word but I'm mostly happy if they make the effort and give me most of what I want.

kuppy

Well in the OP you said that they could have used the term Nintendo used ("Launch Window"). Except, Nintendo defined the launch window as ending on March 31st, 2013. All four of those games came out after that time. 2 more than half a year after launch, 1 of them almost a year after launch.

In terms of percentage of games coming after their promised dates after launch, Nintendo is the bigger "liar".

I say this because I almost made a similar thread at the end of last year about Nintendo's broken promises, and then I just realized that you should never, ever trust video game PR. Look at Nintendo promising Star Fox and Zelda in 2015. I look at those dates with a LOT of doubt. Remember when Xenoblade Chronicles X was due in 2014?
Didn't they later (after the games were due) still refer to them as Launch Window titles though, because well the term itself doesn't have a date. Yes, Nintendo did a poor job on delivering, just meant that they said "window" and not "first year", therefore they made it work "more or less".

Well if I said to my boss I'd hit a sales target but only got ~60% of the way to it...that's what we're talking (vs Sony ~80%)

But what metric are you using to get this 60% figure? That's kind of an important part of the discussion when you want to start discussing metrics and targets.

The Microsoft Studios part is what is always strange to me. They have only put out, what, 3-4 games by the end of the year made by actual MS studios, one of which is a remake collection? They have already had to find another developer to continue work on KI, Crytek is in ruins, and who knows where Insomniac goes after SO. So if the first year was supposed to fill people with confidence, I don't see it.

Microsoft Studios is simply the name attached to games Microsoft publishes. Just like Sony does with a lot of indie games, etc.

As for confidence, we already know that next year the XB1 is going to have the following big releases.

Halo 5
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Forza 6
Tomb Raider (for some period of time)

Do you really think the average XB1 owner looks at that list and is unhappy about it? Of course there are other games we're not aware of right now.

I actually think it's fair to mention First Light. It's a separate entity from Second Son.

Heigic

Microsoft releasing their games on their other platforms is a good thing. It would be bad if Microsoft didn't release FH2 for the 360 or Ori for PC just for list wars.

kuppy

Microsoft releasing their games on their other platforms is a good thing. It would be bad if Microsoft didn't release FH2 for the 360 or Ori for PC just for list wars.
So it was bad to release Forza Motorsport 5, you know that Forza game before Horizon 2, only for Xbox One? Exclusive games make up system sales after all.

Verendus

Banned
1. Dead Rising 3
2. Forza Motorsport 5
3. Killer Instinct
4. Ryse: Son of Rome
5. Zoo Tycoon
6. Forza Horizon 2
7. Kinect Sports Rivals
8. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
9. Project Spark
10. Sunset Overdrive
11. Crimson Dragon
12. Halo: Spartan Assault
13. LocoCycle
14. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
15. Powerstar Golf
16. D4
17. Dance Central Spotlight
18. Super Time Force
19. Ori and the Blind Forest

It seems like they delivered to me. That's more than 15 titles like they said. Exclusive doesn't have to mean only on Xbox One. When most folks use that term, you should assume it to mean it's available primarily on their platform, and not the competitors (aka Playstation). I'm pretty sure most of them don't sit down and think something isn't exclusive because they're also releasing it on Xbox 360 or PC. Not to mention, we don't know about other projects which could have potentially been setback.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Didn't they later (after the games were due) still refer to them as Launch Window titles though, because well the term itself doesn't have a date. Yes, Nintendo did a poor job on delivering, just meant that they said "window" and not "first year", therefore they made it work "more or less".

I'll need to see some evidence of them calling launch window games after they were due. Either way, they still missed their projected dates at E3 2012 (when they were basically selling their console), which is directly comparable to this topic, right? Are you saying it would be okay for Microsoft to have these games in the "launch window" more than a year after the release of the console?

And the term did have a date... March 31, 2013. It was the end of Q1 2013.

AmuroChan

Microsoft Studios is simply the name attached to games Microsoft publishes. Just like Sony does with a lot of indie games, etc.

I feel like Sony generally makes that distinct. They don't attach the name SCE Worldwide Studios to all games they publish, only the ones where one of their internal studios is actually involved in. Resogun, for example, has never been mentioned as a SCE Worldwide Studios game. It's mentioned as a Housemarque game published by Sony.

Lynn616

I know I'm not helping much, but let's not shit up the thread just because list are being pulled out. Let's be mature about this, since these are what the publishers promised to try to deliver by year one, and both of them failed to live up to it, but we can reflect on that without muddying it up.

With The Order's delay, lolno.

1. Killzone SF
2. Knack (#1)
3. Resogun (#2)
4. Doki Doki Universe (#3)
5. inFamous : SS
6. MLB 14
7. Entwined (#4)
8. CounterSpy (#5)
9. Hohokum (#6)
10. Helldivers (#7)
11. TLoU Remastered
12. inFamous FL
13. LBP3
14. Driveclub (#8)
15. Singstar : Ultimate Party
16. Big Fest (#9)
17. Guns Up (#10)
18. Dead Nation : Apocalyse Edition

They missed on two. One is The Order, and the other... either a PSN game, or Bloodborne.

Many of those are also on the PS3.

kuppy

I'll need to see some evidence of them calling launch window games after they were due. Either way, they still missed their projected dates at E3 2012 (when they were basically selling their console), which is directly comparable to this topic, right? Are you saying it would be okay for Microsoft to have these games in the "launch window" more than a year after the release of the console?

And the term did have a date... March 31, 2013. It was the end of Q1 2013.
What I'm saying is if Microsoft would have made this statement without saying first year, but instead launch window (without deeper clarification) I wouldn't have made this thread.

Okay, Nintendo screwed up, I never said they didn't, and I wasn't prepared to need to reply to questions other than Microsoft, since that is what the thread is focusing on.

Miles X

Your opinion on what you think is exclusive is irrelevent. We all know MS claims Xbox One, 360 and PC.

So Ori, Forza Horizon 2, Project Spark, Totem, Max, Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 and Fru all count. (Latter two are published by MS right?)

I feel like Sony generally makes that distinct. They don't attach the name SCE Worldwide Studios to all games they publish, only the ones where one of their internal studios is actually involved in. Resogun, for example, has never been mentioned as a SCE Worldwide Studios game. It's mentioned as a Housemarque game published by Sony.

I guess the question worth asking is, does it really matter? It seems like it only matters in the context of console warz arguments.

Leflus

It seems like they delivered to me. That's more than 15 titles like they said. Exclusive doesn't have to mean only on Xbox One. When most folks use that term, you should assume it to mean it's available primarily on their platform, and not the competitors (aka Playstation).
Super Time Force was self-published as an ID@Xbox game.

Microsoft Studios has done a great job so far though. There are a lot of promising games coming in 2015 and 2016 as well.

It does not require Second Son to play. It boots from a seperate executable. It has its own trophy list.

It's a seperate game.
In that case, time to add Killer Instinct Classic and Killer Instinct 2 Classic to the list!

Both are 1000/1000 games and are seperate from Killer Instinct.

Edit: while at it, add Happy Wars to the list

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What I'm saying is if Microsoft would have made this statement without saying first year, but instead launch window (without deeper clarification) I wouldn't have made this thread.

Okay, Nintendo screwed up, I never said they didn't, and I wasn't prepared to need to reply to questions other than Microsoft, since that is what the thread is focusing on.

But you mentioned in Nintendo as a good example in the original post. So... sorry for replying directly to that I guess?

And now we're argung semantics over differences in positioning, approach and stuff that wasn't even comparative in a proper sense to begin with.

Not a good direction, imo.

Many of those are also on the PS3.

Sony never said they were PS4 exclusive, just that WWS have 20 PS4 titles planned for year one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom