• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's first year: Microsoft Studios' 15 exclusives, incl. 8 brand-new franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonyToo™

While I hate it as much anyone else, it stands to reason that if we're going to look at claims made prior to release, we look at what both MS and Sony promised and failed to deliver.

This isn't the thread for that though, someone should create a PS4 first year thread for that discussion.

I know I'm not helping much, but let's not shit up the thread just because list are being pulled out. Let's be mature about this, since these are what the publishers promised to try to deliver by year one, and both of them failed to live up to it, but we can reflect on that without muddying it up.

Shu Yoshida also stated that Sony Worldwide Studios had "20 [games that] are going to ship within the first year of the console's life, and of those, 12 are new IP". I wonder if they lived up to that?

With The Order's delay, lolno.

1. Killzone SF
2. Knack (#1)
3. Resogun (#2)
4. Doki Doki Universe (#3)
5. inFamous : SS
6. MLB 14
7. Entwined (#4)
8. CounterSpy (#5)
9. Hohokum (#6)
10. Helldivers (#7)
11. TLoU Remastered
12. inFamous FL
13. LBP3
14. Driveclub (#8)
15. Singstar : Ultimate Party
16. Big Fest (#9)
17. Guns Up (#10)
18. Dead Nation : Apocalyse Edition

They missed on two. One is The Order, and the other... either a PSN game, or Bloodborne.

Naminator

Banned
Shu Yoshida also stated that Sony Worldwide Studios had "20 [games that] are going to ship within the first year of the console's life, and of those, 12 are new IP". I wonder if they lived up to that?

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. InFamous: Second Son
  5. MLB 14: The Show
  6. Entwined
  7. The Last of Us Remastered
  8. Hohokum
  9. InFamous: First Light
  10. Driveclub
  11. LittleBigPlanet 3
Why do I see people constantly refer to InFamous: First Light as a separate game?

It's DLC guys.

You should question why the OP got them in the list, since it's explained.

They were announced as exclusive to XB1. The ports came much later.

I think it's fair enough, since it's about the first year of the console.

would those games still be considered exclusive if the PC versions were announced on the same day?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I don't know why we are super lawyering this out, this seems more to be a case where the OP makes up the strictest rules possible and asks everyone to play by them without explaining why those are the rules or why it's obvious that MS was talking about the rules laid out.

Microsoft delivered a decent number of games over the last year, most of which were at least pretty decent.

Some of which weren't.

Even using your really strict logic it probably was Fable Legends and Quantum Break that both were pushed back.

Or he could have been cute and counting games like FH2 or Ori that are cross gen but Xbox only (though, in this case the number jumps up a fair amount).

Kampfheld

Banned
Not counting games like Forza Horizon 2, Max, Project Spark or Ori seems a little strange imho. Basically, you don't count them because they make the effort and release these titles on their other platforms, too.

Who said Xbox One only?
The thread maker clearly laid out their criteria.

You can debate if it is the right criteria to use, but the 'what about game X' posts are not in alignment with the OP.

Why do I see people constantly refer to InFamous: First Light as a separate game?

It's DLC guys.
It is it's own game, you don't need Second Son to play it. It also had a proper retail release in EU.

Not counting games like Forza Horizon 2, Max, Project Spark or Ori seems a little strange imho. Just because they make the effort and release these titles on their other platforms, too ...

Mental gymnastics are required if you're trying to diminish a certain console.

The thread maker clearly laid out their criteria.

You can debate if it is the right criteria to use, but the 'what about game X' posts are not in alignment with what the OP.

Yes, I've now realized the special criteria the OP has created. Even games like Forza Horizon 2, developed on a completely different engine than the 360 game, with all sorts of extra features the 360 doesn't have, is not an exclusive. Could the OP really be any more transparent here? This kind of logic game is embarrassing.

Sydle

MS are odd in that they don't consider PC ports as taking away from their console games being exclusive.

Their definition of exclusive means not on other consoles. They don't care about the PC enough to see their exclusives games releasing on that platform as diminished in any way.

Pretty much this. They've been doing it for a long time, you would think most of GAF would be in tune now.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way things are with MS.

As for how I feel about it? I wish there were more IP coming from MS, but it was a strong first year that more than justified my purchase (KI alone did that actually, and FH2 and SO put it over the top). Ultimately, I'm one of those who wants console exclusives to die a fiery death, so I don't care about the definition of exclusive and I'm not going to hold it against MS. I am so tired of having to buy several pieces of hardware every generation just to play all the good stuff. Can't wait until Sony and MS figure out their services and go platform agnostic (I'm sure it's another generation away at least, but can't come soon enough for me).

Mental gymnastics are required if you're trying to diminish a certain console.

I personally don't think the intention of the thread was to diminish a console but to call into questions the claims made at launch, it is also not an unreasonable idea for a thread either.

Why can't people just learn, discuss and engage without boiling it down to SonyToo and console wars? Meh.

I don't know why we are super lawyering this out, this seems more to be a case where the OP makes up the strictest rules possible and asks everyone to play by them without explaining why those are the rules or why it's obvious that MS was talking about the rules laid out.

Microsoft delivered a decent number of games over the last year, most of which were at least pretty decent.

Some of which weren't.

Even using your really strict logic it probably was Fable Legends and Quantum Break that both were pushed back.

Or he could have been cute and counting games like FH2 or Ori that are cross gen but Xbox only (though, in this case the number jumps up a fair amount).

I don't know why people get excited for unnamed exclusives anyway, it could turn out to be 20 flappy bird clones and they wouldn't be lying.

Skeff

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Knack
  3. Resogun
  4. InFamous: Second Son
  5. MLB 14: The Show
  6. Entwined
  7. The Last of Us Remastered
  8. Hohokum
  9. InFamous: First Light
  10. Driveclub
  11. LittleBigPlanet 3

I'm sure the Order slipped from that list, but Depending on the Criteria:

All published by Sony:

Sony exclusive:
Flower
Sound shapes
Pixel junk shooter ultimate
Escape Plan
Dead nation apocalypse

Console Exclusive:
DC:UO
flOw

Sony is a little more complicated as although published by Capcom, would deep down have counted as it is being made with Japan Studios help, the Xdev stuff is a little tricky too

I will never get why some are so hung on up on some titles being console exclusives and releasing on PC. It's a market difference and takes nothing away from a console's library of games.

The One has an awesome catalog of exclusives for being only one year in.

kuppy

Not sure why it matters that Ori and Spark are on PC/360. They are new IP and will be available on the X1.

After all, Phil makes no comment that these new IP are only exclusive to X1.
Eight of which.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft would be including Forza Horizon in that number, yes its on 360 as well (is it even the same game though?) but i'm pretty sure Microsoft mean 'Not on Playstation' when they say 'exclusive'.
Personally I see the term exclusive as I describe in the OP, but yeah Microsoft takes it very loosely.

Well, they hadn't yet specified a launch date... I'm fairly sure they weren't planning to launch that early.
Uh, that a a good one.

Yeah, one can go ahead and do something similar for that case. I will keep my eye on this thread for a while, so maybe someone else should if you feel the need to.

Phil specifically says 'Microsoft Studios', so using our friends over at Wikipedia, I find this list.
I used exactly that list, I even link to it.

VanWinkle

I don't mean to compare or anything, but man, using the same metric of PS4-only, Sony only had about 7 of the 20 games they promised. :S

Edit: actually just checked what Sony actually said specifically, and it was just that we have 20 titles in development for PS4 for the first year. So they didn't mean just PS4. Nevermind, then, lol.

JayEH

I agree with OP's position of including only Xbox One games. When that statement was made at the Xbox One reveal event, there was no hint of games others are stating were also PC or 360 games. (Ryse and DR3 are exceptions of course)

Tagg9

1. Killzone SF
2. Knack (#1)
3. Resogun (#2)
4. Doki Doki Universe (#3)
5. inFamous : SS
6. MLB 14
7. Entwined (#4)
8. CounterSpy (#5)
9. Hohokum (#6)
10. Helldivers (#7)
11. TLoU Remastered
12. inFamous FL
13. LBP3
14. Driveclub (#8)
15. Singstar : Ultimate Party
16. Big Fest (#9)
17. Guns Up (#10)
18. Dead Nation : Apocalyse Edition

They missed on two. One is The Order, and the other... either a PSN game, or Bloodborne.

Doki Doku Universe is developed/published by HumaNature Studios. Counterspy is questionable - Sony published the game, but wasn't involved in the development at all. The same can be said for Helldivers. You're absolutely correct about Big Fest and Guns Up.

AmuroChan

Not sure why it matters that Ori and Spark are on PC/360. They are new IP and will be available on the X1.

After all, Phil makes no comment that these new IP are only exclusive to X1.

It matters because they're trying to get you to buy an XB1. So their pitch needs to be that these games are ONLY available on the XB1 and that's why you need to buy a brand new console.

StoOgE

MS are odd in that they don't consider PC ports as taking away from their console games being exclusive.

Their definition of exclusive means not on other consoles. They don't care about the PC enough to see their exclusives games releasing on that platform as diminished in any way.

I don't think it's that odd.

It's been MS bread and butter dating back to the original Xbox when they locked down tons of PC RPGs and FPS as exclusives because their console allowed for easy porting from the PC.

Console space is a relatively different space and a different consumer than PC space, and it doesn't help messaging to say "Sony doesn't have it" or "Console Exclusive" or "Next Gen Exclusive".

So, it is what it is. They call anything not on Wii U and PS4 exclusive. It's been their game for a while now, so I'm not sure why we are having them jump through hoops to meet a strict definition now when it's clearly evident MS hasn't been playing by it for over 10 years.

abadguy

Banned
I personally don't think the intention of the thread was to diminish a console but to call into questions the claims made at launch, it is also not an unreasonable idea for a thread either.

Why can't people just learn, discuss and engage without boiling it down to SonyToo and console wars? Meh.

If that's really the case then why did OP just call MS out instead of calling out both in the thread since both MS and Sony made similar claims?

rrc1594

It's been MS bread and butter dating back to the original Xbox when they locked down tons of PC RPGs and FPS as exclusives because their console allowed for easy porting from the PC.

Console space is a relatively different space and a different consumer than PC space, and it doesn't help messaging to say "Sony doesn't have it" or "Console Exclusive" or "Next Gen Exclusive".

So, it is what it is. They call anything not on Wii U and PS4 exclusive. It's been their game for a while now, so I'm not sure why we are having them jump through hoops to meet a strict definition now when it's clearly evident MS hasn't been playing by it for over 10 years.

All of this and a bag of skittles. OG Xbox best games were on the PC too.

I agree with OP's position of including only Xbox One games. When that statement was made at the Xbox One reveal event, there was no hint of games others are stating were also PC or 360 games. (Ryse and DR3 are exceptions of course)
I guess if you want to be anal about the quote...

I'm proud to announce that Microsoft Studios plans to release more than 15 exclusive games in the first year of Xbox one. Eight of which are brand-new franchises.

He is talking about MS Studios, and what their plans are during the timeframe of Xbox One launch date to Xbox One launch date + 365 days.

Therefore, it would still be a true statement if they released zero Xbox One games, and released 15 titles only available on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft Studios would still have released 15 exclusive titles from November 22nd 2013 to November 22nd 2014.

Eight of which.

Eight of which what?

Did they ever specify that these new IP or exclusives would be X1 only? It's like people weren't paying attention during the 360 years or are playing the fool to try and make some kind of misguided point.

Whenever MS says exclusive, they mean the games won't be available on other consoles. That's it. They don't care if the game comes to PC because they don't care about the platform enough to see it as diminishing their exclusives in any significant way.

Right or wrong, there's almost a decade of evidence to support this. Why try to apply some arbitrary rules that PC ports don't count to this exclusive discussion now?

StoOgE

I don't know why people get excited for unnamed exclusives anyway, it could turn out to be 20 flappy bird clones and they wouldn't be lying.

I tend to agree.

I think gamers hear that and think "OMG, 18 AAA exclusive games in ONE YEAR!" with no regard for how horribly illogical it would be to do so not to mention cost prohibitive.

But MS and Sony know this so they make vague statements and everyone loses their mind filling in the blanks with whatever game they want to see in there (It just has to be MechAssault 3 and Crimson Skies!) and buys the console.

But that's the game, so we all play along, I'm as guilty as anyone for buying into hype with zero reason to know a game will be good.

blakep267

It matters because they're trying to get you to buy an XB1. So their pitch needs to be that these games are ONLY available on the XB1 and that's why you need to buy a brand new console.
But they aren't really competing for PC gamers in a sense. People who game on steam arent going to buy a console for max or Ori. So MS might was well make some money back on their investment by porting the game.

VinFTW

I guess if you want to be anal about the quote...

He is talking about MS Studios, and what their plans are during the timeframe of Xbox One launch date to Xbox One launch date + 365 days.

Therefore, it would still be a true statement if they released zero Xbox One games, and released 15 titles only available on the Xbox 360.

Microsoft Studios would still have released 15 exclusive titles from November 22nd 2013 to November 22nd 2014.

This makes sense actually, touché, I stand corrected.

If that's really the case then why did OP just call MS out instead of calling out both in the thread since both MS and Sony made similar claims?

I can't speak for the poster but I would assume the sheer amount of work involved combined with the direct comparisons of the two would cause a completely different discussion that would end in wars and a lock.

Someone make a parody thread about Sony people don't get offended, quick!

Seeing how the OP chose to remove certain games from the list makes it blatantly obvious what the intention was. Removing Forza Horizon 2 because it has a mediocre 360 port made on a different engine by a different team? No one does that unless they're trying to make the list as small as they possibly can.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Eight of which what?

Did they ever specify that these new IP or exclusives would be X1 only? It's like people weren't paying attention during the 360 years or are playing the fool to try and make some kind of misguided point.

Whenever MS says exclusive, they mean the games won't be available on other consoles. That's it. They don't care if the game comes to PC because they don't care about the platform enough to see it as diminishing their exclusives in any significant way.

Right or wrong, there's almost a decade of evidence to support this. Why try to apply some arbitrary rules that PC ports don't count to this exclusive discussion now?

Agreed. It's really pointless to say "your numbers don't add up" when you're using different metrics.

Pretty much this. They've been doing it for a long time, you would think most of GAF would be in tune now.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way things are with MS.

Exactly. They've been doing this for over a decade. Why are some pretending it's not something that MS are notorious for?

Not to MS. They don't see the person who will primarily game on the PC as someone they need to appeal to.

Their pitch is these games aren't on the PS4 or Wii U. That's enough for them.

That's a fair assessment and I agree that perhaps it's not that odd when you consider why they don't care about their exclusive coming to PC.

Gestault

I came in maybe 6 months late, but I've really liked the first year's releases. Taking the delayed title into account, that's a strong match to the original claim. If people are acting like something like Horizon 2 doesn't count as an Xbox exclusive, I guess we're just looking at games differently.

StoOgE

Eight of which what?

Not only that, but MS has a vested interest in making sure the PC as a gaming platform is viable given that they own the OS that runs 99% of them.

kuppy

Starting this thread I had no idea how the list would turn out, it wasn't my intention to call Microsoft out, and it isn't now. Games get delayed, Microsoft could have just said Launch Window, like Nintendo, and they would have been fine, more or less. In fact I would have been very glad to say that Microsoft delivered on their statement, despite the movement of pushing games to 2015. And this is also my personal opinion, it's no biggy, Microsoft maybe should have been more careful stating exact numbers, but again they aren't the only one dealing with a very slow flow of software at launch.
And I replied before that I didn't know about the Sony statement.

Eight of which what?
That comment was made because it seemed to me you wanted to say that the IPs are supposed to be counted individually, not as exclusive. The question of what an exclusive is however is what this thread mostly turned out to be so far, so yeah, I defined it in the OP, you, others and MS may not agree.

Doki Doku Universe is developed/published by HumaNature Studios.

Nope.

http://www.trademarkia.com/dokidoki-universe-86107485.html

Sony owns Doki Doki Universe.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/16/4625122/doki-doki-universe-a-robots-journey-through-humanity

"We saw the charm in each of the product types," says Alex Lee, an executive producer at Sony Computer Entertainment America's Worldwide Studios, who now works closely with HumaNature Studios. "It was the charm of the art, their knowledge of the social environment at the time, and the opportunity that we knew they could do it.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019721/Doki-Doki-Universe-Sweet-Simple

Doki-Doki Universe, being published first-party by Sony and being released worldwide in December..

Counterspy is questionable - Sony published the game, but wasn't involved in the development at all. The same can be said for Helldivers.

Nothing questionable about both of those games

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...against-the-doomsday-clock-in-counterspy.aspx

Sony's Foster City Studio and independent developer Dynamighty are teaming up to create Counterspy,

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/20/helldivers-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-in-2014/

You may know of Arrowhead Game Studios from our previous games like Magicka and today we’re excited to announce that we’ve teamed up with Sony Computer Entertainment and Foster City Studios to create our next game!

AmuroChan

But they aren't really competing for PC gamers in a sense. People who game on steam arent going to buy a console for max or Ori. So MS might was well make some money back on their investment by porting the game.

And I don't think that's their aim either. It's clearly just PR talk constructed to drive hype for selling a new console. Every company does it. PR talk is intentionally made vague and open to interpretation but never crossing the line of being untruthful.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

And I replied before that I didn't know about the Sony statement.

Either way you're still wrong about Nintendo. 4/5 games they said would make their launch window (which they gave a defined date) didn't make it. Nintendo is actually a bigger offender.

Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 are exclusive in all the ways that matter to MS and consumers.

Edit: so is Ori and the Blind Forest. I still don't understand this silly obsession with raking MS over the coals for throwing PC and 360 players a bone, the One is obviously the primary platform for all these games.

StoOgE

True that delays happen but looking at this it seems MS were being overly optomistic - we're talking quite a large chunk % wise

Well using one metric they over-delivered.

Using the strictest metric they missed by two titles, and we know of at least two high profile delays (Quantum Break and Fable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom