• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to address multi platform games in spring, says former employee

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to former Zenimax employee, Sarah Bond (Xbox Director), will speak in Spring to explain the change in Xbox's strategy regarding Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and other games going multi-platform.

“Wait for springtime, Sarah Bond will say something, you guys will be fine.”

Summary of the employees other remarks:

• Metrics driven
  • Internet discourse isn't 'considered', but concerns are valid
  • re: 'considered' discourse, if looked at from a different angle there is missing information that you may not see
  • Allusions to a very concise explanation by Xbox about the situation
  • A secondary speaker mentions that other people 'who were concerned previously' are now saying we 'shouldn't be as concerned as we are'
  • The 'Big 3' platform holders have the liberty of paving the road and laying the brick at the same time
  • A lot of conversations around this kind of stuff, it's ongoing, everything discussed has been covered and/or has a clause around it

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"When everyone plays, we all win."

They have been saying this for a long time.

It will be exactly what Phil said. It will be a game by game basis and ones that make sense.

Hi Fi Rush. Sea of thieves. Minecraft. Grounded maybe
I keep seeing some ppl say this, but SoT would be the odd one out...since Rare was acquired waaay before Bethesda. And Minecraft was already multi platform.

That would absolutely be a change in strategy.

Wait, when and where did he say this?
He said that to a question about....Bethesda games... AFAIK he never said games that makes sense.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

jroc74

Was it about Elder Scrolls and Starfield? And was this months/years ago?

I’m looking for something more recent and concrete.
I think he said that soon after they acquired Bethesda. So it was a few years ago. Some ppl are just trying to make the rumors make sense and fit something that makes them feel better about it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I keep seeing some ppl say this, but SoT would be the odd one out...since Rare was acquired waaay before Bethesda. And Minecraft was already multi platform.

SoT is a GaaS MMO with a big in-game shop and it's already on Steam. They could hit 100M players if they put it on PS and then there will be meltdowns like you've never seen.

reinking

Gold Member
It will be exactly what Phil said. It will be a game by game basis and ones that make sense.

I expect this as long as MS feels they need a console/hybrid approach. They are leaving a lot of money on the table trying to win the console race. Even with the Game Pass push it has become clear that it is not happening.

xbox:
We are going third party

Xbox influencers with tears in their eyes:
Please Xbox be clear about your intentions, we deserved clear communication and respect.

Xbox:
We are going third party

Xbox influencers still in denial:
You should be really clear about your strategy. What are you saying? We deserve to be told, we who stand by your side in the most difficult times

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He didn't say this about Xbox games. He said the "case by case" thing about Bethesda games BEFORE the acquisition closed, just to get regulators' approvals.

Just 2 days after the acquisition closed, here is what Phil said publicly:

"If you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists."

We also have internal conversations that confirm the exclusivity of ALL Bethesda titles.

rZvGmm9.jpg
g2diraO.jpg

If anyone implies that this case-by-case basis applies to Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves, they are lying, pretending as if this is par for the course and not a massive shift in strategy.

reinking

Gold Member
If anyone implies that this case-by-case basis applies to Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves, they are lying, pretending as if this is par for the course and not a massive shift in strategy.
I definitely think it is a shift in strategy. I think it started when they could not keep COD away from Sony. I still think it will be case-by-case as long as they push a console/hybrid.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't get what the big surprise is suppose to be?

MS wants to build up their games and this is a good way to do it. Of course it's happening as they would have outright denied it to start with. But they see the consoless future and it makes sense in that context after buying two big companies for billions of dollars their long game goes way past our life spans.

The interview sounds like they think they can have their cookie and eat it too. That making games multiplat won’t affect their hardware sales in a significant way. I disagree.

It’s something Sony would be able to get away with because of their huge momentum. Xbox has the opposite of momentum right now.

Here is the video. Starts around fifty minutes in.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He said it after the bethesda acquisition.

He said that to a question about....Bethesda games... AFAIK he never said games that makes sense.
Sea of thieves is a massively successful gaas title. It would be huge on playstation and switch. It's the most obvious out of all of them to me.
Anything that is "live service" should be available on all platforms, including Halo multiplayer.
Yeah I could see that.

Microsoft will use games that require an Xbox live log in for cross platform play and then titles like hi fi rush that make sense for them.

I really can't see them giving up single player platform driving games until every other option has been completely exhausted.

Last edited:
I expect Sea of Thieves, Flight Sim, Age of Empires (maybe), HF Rush now we know...I wonder what else.

Anything that is "live service" should be available on all platforms, including Halo multiplayer.
Case by case.

It would be huge on playstation and switch
Not sure about that. I mean how many GaaS succeeded by coming much later? Those who wanted to play the game bought the console or played on PC. The game is old. We saw with time exclusives - if the game launches day 1, it sells well. Time exclusive 1 - 3 months? It does not even sell on PC. I mean even in that video they mentioned something like 69% are buying the game on the launch date.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I definitely think it is a shift in strategy. I think it started when they could not keep COD away from Sony. I still think it will be case-by-case as long as they push a console/hybrid.
It will be case by case only until they are easing into it. People like S SneakersSO who first reported this (way before all these rumors started surfacing online) have already said that NONE of their future games are being made as exclusives. They all have PlayStation ports in development.

As far as the console strategy goes, Xbox may think that there console sales won't be affected, but they are living in a fool's paradise if they believe that. Why would anyone buy an Xbox over a PlayStation once Xbox games are releasing on PS?

Game Pass? They'd be grossly overestimating its importance once again. We should recall that Game Pass has been stagnant and has missed internal growth targets 3 years in a row.

jroc74

He said it after the bethesda acquisition.

Sea of thieves is a massively successful gaas title. It would be huge on playstation and switch. It's the most obvious out of all of them to me.

Yeah I could see that.

Microsoft will use games that require an Xbox live log in for cross platform play and then titles like hi fi rush that make sense for them.

I really can't see them giving up single player platform driving games until every other option has been completely exhausted.
While thats true....SoT is definitely the odd one out based on what Phil said. Specifically because of who made it and when they were acquired.

Spitfire098

Step 1: green rats cheered on the Activision acquisition as their life dependent on it.
Step 2: MS buys Activision
Step 3: MS executive's see how much money Activision games are being made on PS.
Step 4: MS excs push for multiplatform strategy because no one buying xboxes.
Step 5: 📈 📈 📈

ccda7a17-299b-447e-a01d-cd3fb2dc4c96_text.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
While thats true....SoT is definitely the odd one out based on what Phil said. Specifically because of who made it and when they were acquired.
This isn't about when someone was acquired it's what games make sense. This is to drive sales and xbox account sign ups. A game like sea od thieves allows them a back door into requiring an xbox account for cross platform play.

It just makes sense. Same for forza horizon imo.

jroc74

He didn't say this about Xbox games. He said the "case by case" thing about Bethesda games BEFORE the acquisition closed, just to get regulators' approvals.

Just 2 days after the acquisition closed, here is what Phil said publicly:

"If you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists."

We also have internal conversations that confirm the exclusivity of ALL Bethesda titles.

rZvGmm9.jpg
g2diraO.jpg

The best thing about the leaks from the trial is you making that amazing thread, so many receipts.

This isn't about when someone was acquired it's what games make sense. This is to drive sales and xbox account sign ups. A game like sea od thieves allows them a back door into requiring an xbox account for cross platform play.

It just makes sense. Same for forza horizon imo.
Forza Horizon too huh? Alrighty then. I didnt know you were on board for this new MS. Lets keep it real....SoT would absolutely make this a shift in strategy....because MS could have been made that game for PS or Nintendo.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Enough of this PR bullshit.

What about Starfield, Forza, Redfall, etc etc ? That sentence was pure PR bullshit. How many times did Spencer say exclusives were very important blablabla. In fact he says everything and its contrary, and that's basic PR language.

When you answer a question with "Yes, no, maybe", then afterward the fanboys (aka braindead) will always say "oh you see he said it ! he said yes !" and if he says no "oh you see he said it ! he said no" and if he says maybe "oh you see, he said it, he said maybe"...

Why they bring those games on other platforms is ONLY for money, not "also" for money but ONLY for money. Those games don't sell, they aren't played, nobody gives a fuck about the fucking pirate game from Rare (even forgot its name) so of course they have EVERYTHING to win by bringing it to PlayStation, a console that actually sells. And same goes with all their other games, little by little, at a different pace (first GaaS, then indie games, then AAA exclusives).

And it's not to shit on Xbox (they shit on themselves pretty well) because Sony is doing that too, at a smaller scale, by bringing more and more exclusives to PC, (Helldivers 2 on day one on Steam, yeah GaaS need as many players as possible)
Only that PS don't bring their game on Xbox because... Well, they don't care selling those 100K units sold that Xbox could give them.

jroc74

Enough of this PR bullshit.

What about Starfield, Forza, Redfall, etc etc ? That sentence was pure PR bullshit. How many times did Spencer say exclusives were very important blablabla. In fact he says everything and its contrary, and that's basic PR language.

When you answer a question with "Yes, no, maybe", then afterward the fanboys (aka braindead) will always say "oh you see he said it ! he said yes !" and if he says no "oh you see he said it ! he said no" and if he says maybe "oh you see, he said it, he said maybe"...

Why they bring those games on other platforms is ONLY for money, not "also" for money but ONLY for money. Those games don't sell, they aren't played, nobody gives a fuck about the fucking pirate game from Rare (even forgot its name) so of course they have EVERYTHING to win by bringing it to PlayStation, a console that actually sells. And same goes with all their other games, little by little, at a different pace (first GaaS, then indie games, then AAA exclusives).

And it's not to shit on Xbox (they shit on themselves pretty well) because Sony is doing that too, at a smaller scale, by bringing more and more exclusives to PC, (Helldivers 2 on day one on Steam, yeah GaaS need as many players as possible)
Only that PS don't bring their game on Xbox because... Well, they don't care selling those 100K units sold that Xbox could give them.
Make no mistake....if Series consoles sales were as good as PS5 or Switch.....we wouldn't be having this conversation.

MS were against cross play....until they needed it as a selling point.

Xbox confirms what Microsoft has been doing since ever

Sonyboys: ha ha Microsoft didn't want to fight
*A few moments later, looking at Steam*
Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us...
Austin Powers Laser GIF

"exclusives"
?

What games has Sony put on Xbox or Nintendo not named MLB The Show....since that was more forced by MLB.

Jerm411

Xbox confirms what Microsoft has been doing since ever

Sonyboys: ha ha Microsoft didn't want to fight
*A few moments later, looking at Steam*
Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us...
Austin Powers Laser GIF

"exclusives"
Should probably delete this and save it for when Spider Man, GoW, Zelda, or Mario ever come to XBox…

Oh that’s right….it’ll never fucking happen.

Trying to equate direct competing platforms to PC is disingenuous…

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Make no mistake....if Series consoles sales were as good as PS5 or Switch.....we wouldn't be having this conversation.

MS were against cross play....until they needed it as a selling point.

?

What games has Sony put on Xbox or Nintendo not named MLB The Show....since that was more forced by MLB.
Should probably delete this and save it for when Spider Man, GoW, Zelda, or Mario ever come to XBox…

Oh that’s right….it’ll never fucking happen.

Trying to equate direct competing platforms to PC is disingenuous…
What if I told you that Microsoft still wins when a game goes to PC?

You know what's going happen all the big hitter games like elder scrolls for instance is gonna stay exclusive and games that doesn't do or sell well will get the third party treatment

Which makes absolute sense.

As a person who really doesn't care what platform I use, why would I mind if others get to experience some of the games currently only i have access to.

This whole fanboy tribalism is absurd in my humble opinion.

Top Bottom