• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to address multi platform games in spring, says former employee

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
MS does. Xbox does not.
Oh My God Omg GIF

I think what's really happening is, after acquiring all these studios, most, if not all of them, probably raised their concerns to Microsoft/Xbox about why they can't bring some of these games to other platforms. Then you have Xbox not selling as much. Additionally, you get the revenue they made from the software side. When you think about it, it just makes sense to put your games on other devices. What I think they'll do is still go the digital-only or hybrid way to not upset the Xbox community, and they'll keep any Activision and some of Bethesda games multiplatform, including Games as a Service (GaaS). I don't see Halo, Gears, or any OG Xbox games going multiplat, though.

Last edited:

Jerm411

Phil Spencer used to hog the spotlight in all things Xbox. Now he's completely gone. What happened? He went to the hospital for a quick and safe operation, forgot to tell anyone at MS HQ about it and now he's MIA?
This is just my personal opinion and I could be way wrong but I think he’s been pushed to the side and rendered powerless…

I wonder how many people will be upset if none of this pans out! It will be incredibly stupid of Microsoft to have a developer direct which would have been the perfect opportunity to announce this instead double down on exclusivity with games to just come out a month later and go against that. This just sounds like a pressure campaign to get Microsoft to do this cause most media outlets would rather just play these games on PlayStation.

Xbox confirms what Microsoft has been doing since ever

Sonyboys: ha ha Microsoft didn't want to fight
*A few moments later, looking at Steam*
Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us...
Austin Powers Laser GIF

"exclusives"
I don’t know why PC gamers here have been coming to Xbox’s defense.

PC is not a console.

Most of the people here are discussing console to console. Once that specific chain is broken, it’s a big deal.

That’s what I’m keeping my eye on, because I’m trying to get a hard confirmation if the Series X will be the final time I buy an Xbox console.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I own this controller and think its super cool, but still his Ps look like dicks.
Remember that japanese people thinks that western people draws too much dicks? Phill thought this through
I don’t know why PC gamers here have been coming to Xbox’s defense.

PC is not a console.

Most of the people here are discussing console to console. Once that specific chain is broken, it’s a big deal.

That’s what I’m keeping my eye on, because I’m trying to get a hard confirmation if the Series X will be the final time I buy an Xbox console.
It's not really a defense, but the fact is that money is the one who talks. They win more by doing this

If is to talk just about console to console, right? Before was a whole architecture thing going on, and a console game was hard to port to a PC and vice versa. Nowadays it's not. A good developing team, a few months on quality and there you. 20 years before no one was really thinking that. I mean, who though that God of War on a not Sony console will be a thing? And now we can see the Steam Deck running native on it. Who's to say that eventually the consoles will become just boxes with a brand on it like DVDs?

Last edited:
I wonder how many people will be upset if none of this pans out! It will be incredibly stupid of Microsoft to have a developer direct which would have been the perfect opportunity to announce this instead double down on exclusivity with games to just come out a month later and go against that. This just sounds like a pressure campaign to get Microsoft to do this cause most media outlets would rather just play these games on PlayStation.

GgsgoQq.png

Which makes absolute sense.

As a person who really doesn't care what platform I use, why would I mind if others get to experience some of the games currently only i have access to.

This whole fanboy tribalism is absurd in my humble opinion.

This, and it’s doubly true for Xbox enthusiasts because there haven’t been exclusives on the console in forever, and the brand is consistently the lowest selling. Plus they have been releasing some games on other platforms for a while now too. So any outrage isn’t about sales or any exclusive being lost, it’s just console warring because PlayStation users can play a particular game. Who cares.

Luckily, so far the only “outrage” I have seen has been things Sony users are posting from twitter from stupid warriors looking for clicks/clout. Most Xbox users don’t give a shit.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What if I told you that Microsoft still wins when a game goes to PC?
Ok? And PC is about as neutral a platform as can be.

Porting games to Nintendo and PlayStation is a whole different thing.
Hey....dont let this come back to bite you.

You never know.....A game by Rare getting ported means damn near anything is on the table. Any game by a newer acquisitions could definitely be up next.

BlackTron

This just sounds like a pressure campaign to get Microsoft to do this cause most media outlets would rather just play these games on PlayStation.

Dude. These threads are approaching the level of the Switch 1 predictions thread. I never thought anything would come close

It's not really a defense, but the fact is that money is the one who talks. They win more by doing this.
It is a defense, because we are discussing console exclusivity and what this means for console purchasers/consumers, and you’re saying ‘Xbox earns more money though’ and constantly pitching PC to everyone like a car salesman.
If is to talk just about console to console, right? Before was a whole architecture thing going on, and a console game was hard to port to a PC and vice versa. Nowadays it's not. A good developing team, a few months on quality and there you. 20 years before no one was really thinking that. I mean, who though that God of War on a not Sony console will be a thing? And now we can see the Steam Deck running native on it. Who's to say that eventually the consoles will become just boxes with a brand on it like DVDs?
This is irrelevant to the discussion and once again a PC sales pitch.

no-thank-you-498-x-323-gif-mqd5thv39t99u3wz.gif

We have all witnessed console brands die (Sega, Atari, etc.). That’s not the main point of discussion here.

Killjoy-NL

It will be exactly what Phil said. It will be a game by game basis and ones that make sense.

Hi Fi Rush. Sea of thieves. Minecraft. Grounded maybe
The moment MS starts releasing Xbox games on Playstation, Xbox as a platform-holder is effectively dead.

What reason will there be left to buy an Xbox console if not buying one will force MS to release their games on PlayStation and Nintendo anyway?

xHunter

If this is for all/most first party games, then probably one of the higher ups outside of the gaming division put more pressure on multiplatform releases after seeing abks numbers.

Jerm411

The moment MS starts releasing Xbox games on Playstation, Xbox as a platform-holder is effectively dead.

What reason will there be left to buy an Xbox console if not buying one will force MS to release their games on PlayStation and Nintendo anyway?
And let’s not act like those will be the only games they bring….we know they’ve tried to bring Halo over before, I’d be willing to bet they’ll ship everything elsewhere after a period of time.

Crayon

Case by case argument doesn't work for me.

What is the point of getting more sales on ps for the smaller ip's when it's going to further shrink the user base, and then let the big games stay exclusive and go down with the ship?

Phil would be dumb enough but that's only if he's still alive.

Gambit2483

Case by case argument doesn't work for me.

What is the point of getting more sales on ps for the smaller ip's when it's going to further shrink the user base, and then let the big games stay exclusive and go down with the ship?

Phil would be dumb enough but that's only if he's still alive.
Recouping development/marketing costs?

If they explain that it's ONLY case-by-case then they will at least retain sales (hardware and software) for the exclusive AAA titles...theoretically

My take:
Games which previous entries have been released on multiple platforms before (Hellblade, The Outer Worlds, TES, Doom, Wolfenstein , COD, ...) will still be multiplatform. New IPs (Sea of Thieves, Hi Fi Rush, Starfield, As Dusk Falls, ...) may or may not be released on other platforms depending on how well they do. And other 1st party games that have always been associated with Xbox (Halo, Gears, Forza, ...) will remain exclusive.

damidu

Step 1: green rats cheered on the Activision acquisition as their life dependent on it.
Step 2: MS buys Activision
Step 3: MS executive's see how much money Activision games are being made on PS.
Step 4: MS excs push for multiplatform strategy because no one buying xboxes.
Step 5: 📈 📈 📈

ccda7a17-299b-447e-a01d-cd3fb2dc4c96_text.gif
pretty much this. all the console warriors (including Spencer) cheerleading these massive acqusations in pursuit of some list wars, are finally about to wake up.
all they acheived is speeding up the inevitable xbox 3rd party future.
once as a division you balloon to 100billion investments, you are getting to a point where even a 3trillion dollar company cant let you be and console-war on the side.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is just my personal opinion and I could be way wrong but I think he’s been pushed to the side and rendered powerless…

Makes sense though. What's happening now is the complete antithesis of what Phil Spencer was trying to achieve for the past couple of years. His plan was to kill PlayStation by making Call of Duty an Xbox/Game Pass exclusive. But then there was a prolonged lawsuit, momentum was lost and CoD would remain on PS for the next 10 years. But by now MS owned so many games development studios that it became impossible to keep all of those expensive studios up and running just by Xbox/Game Pass revenues alone, especially with Xbox consoles sales on a downward trajectory and no Game Pass subscriptions growth. MS needs very substantial additional revenue streams to keep all those plates spinning and the only way out of his pickle is by going multi-platform.

So instead of making Xbox bigger and better Phil Spencer's genius plan did the exact opposite. It has now forced Xbox to go multi-platform which will cast doubt on the future of Xbox and will strengthen PlayStation. There's no way on earth Phil Spencer can remain the CEO of Microsoft Gaming after such an enormous strategic blunder.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
And let’s not act like those will be the only games they bring….we know they’ve tried to bring Halo over before, I’d be willing to bet they’ll ship everything elsewhere after a period of time.

Yep. It will take a few years but ultimately every Xbox exclusive will go multi-platform. The more games MS releases for PlayStation/Nintendo, the less reasons there are to buy an Xbox console since Microsoft's competition aren't going to release any of their exclusives on Xbox. The Xbox brand will be dying an inevitable, slow death.

My guess is that in 2024/5 MS will release timed exclusives that will hit PS5/Switch 2 a year later, but when Xbox console sales are starting to hit rock bottom they'll have no choice and release everything on day 1 for PS5/Switch 2, too. They'll simply have no other choice.

Last edited:
Phil has wanted multiplatforms for a while....?

Why did he make Bethesda exclusive then? I mean, he's the top guy of Xbox....did someone above him say no?
I can't speak for Starfield but I know he has wanted their MP games on PS for a long time and Gamepass on PS of which Sony had said no

I have brought that subject up many times over the years here and on a few occasions I guess got reported for console warring for saying it

XXL

Phil has wanted multiplatforms for a while....?

Why did he make Bethesda exclusive then? I mean, he's the top guy of Xbox....did someone above him say no?
Even if it was something they were planning, I'm going to assume they would slowly groom their fanbase towards the idea of it, more than just ripping the bandaid off.

It sure looks that way from what I'm seeing, even the hardcore Xbox fans on this site are much more calm about the prospect now then they would have been even a year ago. Look at this thread for proof.

There has definitely been an acceleration in this theme being a part of any PR lately, mixed with what we know about how sales are going, I'm expecting things to change at Xbox.

Audiophile

While a lack of direct competitor for PlayStations is a concern; I for one welcome the end of the PS vs XB Console Wars.

Now what else can we use as an excuse to fight...?!

Papa_Wisdom

I can't speak for Starfield but I know he has wanted their MP games on PS for a long time and Gamepass on PS of which Sony had said no

I have brought that subject up many times over the years here and on a few occasions I guess got reported for console warring for saying it
I can see a halo infinite situation where games single player and multi player modes are released separately

Take the next Gears of war.

Multiplayer is released on everything, ps, switch, pc, Xbox etc

Single player is Xbox/PC Game pass exclusive but can come to PlayStation etc after a set period of time:

Last edited:
Top Bottom