• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox to address multi platform games in spring, says former employee

Even if it was something they were planning, I'm going to assume they would slowly groom their fanbase towards the idea of it, more than just ripping the bandaid off.

It sure looks that way from what I'm seeing, even the hardcore Xbox fans on this site are much more calm about the prospect now then they would have been even a year ago. Look at this thread for proof.

There has definitely been an acceleration in this theme being a part of any PR lately, mixed with what we know about how sales are going, I'm expecting things to change at Xbox.
And you know how Phil loves to get in front of a camera and give interviews or send Tweets

George Clooney Film GIF by NETFLIX

reinking

Gold Member
I can't speak for Starfield but I know he has wanted their MP games on PS for a long time and Gamepass on PS of which Sony had said no

I have brought that subject up many times over the years here and on a few occasions I guess got reported for console warring for saying it
I remember you saying it more than once. The problem is Sony was never going to allow Game Pass on PlayStation. Unlikely, but I hope Phil writes a book when he leaves Xbox/MS. I would really like to read about how much the external/media persona conflicted with internal/corporate decisions.

Gojiira

Banned
Thing is, Im not paying for games like Hifi Rush when franchises that SHOULD be multiplat like Fallout and Elder Scrolls are held hostage…nah you can keep them Fill, either go full third party or dont bother at all…

Sanepar

What the big 3 takes mean? It looks like it will be something around bethesda games. Probably timed exclusives.

I think both Sony and Microsoft are headed this way. especially with GAAS games. Sony only has Destiny that is multiplatform now, but I would bet money that some of the GAAS games they've been working on will be multiplatform. Microsoft already has Minecraft, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, and now COD. My guess is that they are going to go this route for Halo Infinite, Sea of Thieves, and Grounded. They have also already put their exclusives on other consoles (especially the Switch) with the Ori games and Cuphead,

What this means for the console I don't know. I currently have 90% of my modern games on Xbox, so if they get rid of console I'm going to be pissed, but they have to keep some exclusives in order to sell the console, don't they? Maybe for their multiplayer games they give special benefits (skins, currency, etc) to Gamepass subscribers so people want to continue playing on Xbox in regions where Xbox is big. They could also keep the exclusive advertising rights, but I still think this will hurt their console sales......

It kind of feels like they are just winging it........
Tv Shows Actors GIF by PBS SoCal

Killjoy-NL

No, because we have all the internal communication from within MS from the FDA legal proceedings. We know precisely what their motivation was for their acquisitions and it wasn't anything to do with going MP... quite the opposite.
ABK was never going to make a difference. Not even if COD was exclusive to Xbox.

SenkiDala

That guy seriously.

The mentality of a school playground fanboy in an adult body.

Step 1) "no it won't happen".
Step 2) "ok it will happen and it sucks, fuck you MS"
Step 3) "yes it will happen but it was to be expected, as Phil always said, and it totally makes sense, that's great for gamers".

Damn, sadness.

Mentally twisting reality and your expectations/desires, to make you accept and even enjoy decisions that at first you were totally against with. That's really sad.

The interview sounds like they think they can have their cookie and eat it too. That making games multiplat won’t affect their hardware sales in a significant way. I don’t believe they can.

It’s something Sony would be able to get away with because of their huge momentum. Xbox has the opposite of momentum right now.

Here is the video. Starts around an hour in.

they are so damn fuuuuuucked

MS wants to apply their "Telemetry, metrics, statistics" driven approach into videogame. Xbox division is going to implode.

Darsxx82

Understanding that it was true. At this point it is better to wait for the officialdom and the explanations that will certainly be necessary. And of course they must be clear and concise.

At this point, the arrival of games that were exclusive from Xbox to PS5 and Switch can be taken for granted and we just need to know the terms or red lines, if any.

My bet or bingo card based on the tone of what was transmitted ("it's not that bad, you'll be fine" or "when it's explained it will be understood"...):

-They are going to go for the "case by case" and try to convince why it is something good for everyone. For example "more people playing", "expand the potential of IPs", the need to make the division profitable or extra returns to finance sequels or new projects for Xbox ....or to pay for the arrival of 3rd party games to Gamepass (FF series?)... "First/better on Xbox".

- The corresponding doubts and anger of XSeries users and fans of the brand will be attempted to be redirected in several ways:

a) They will officially announce a roadmap for the hardware and plans for the near future and nextGen (new controller, Xseries revisions, NextGen...). This will dispel the fears generated by the speakers who ensure that XBOX will become like EA, TakeTwo, etc. and will stop manufacturing consoles and renounce its own ecosystem.
Sarah Bond is there the head of hardware...

b) MS will set a date for the arrival of ABK games to Gamepass.

c) MS will invite fans to the "E3" Conference where there will be "exclusives" and big announcements (FFVII remake?, FFXVI?...)

I can only think of this as the way they could come out better, understanding that it will be impossible to come out without damage.

Any other situation where those issues that generate discomfort and concern are not resolved and properly defined will be disastrous. First for the users and fans of the brand, and equally for the credibility of the XBOX brand for whatever their future vision of gaming business and I dont think MS is interested in that situation.

DJ12

Meh, I wonder if the Playstation installbase is really desperate to play Xbox games.

Personally, I'd love to play Hellblade 2, but outside of that, MS can keep their games.
Personally I cannot wait for the time I can call their recent output trash without having the arguments excused as console warring.

What a day when starfield can just be accepted as the shit it is.

Any other situation where those issues that generate discomfort and concern are not resolved and properly defined will be disastrous. First for the users and fans of the brand, and equally for the credibility of the XBOX brand for whatever their future vision of gaming business and I dont think MS is interested in that situation.
the xbox brand reputation is already in the gutter. these shills are truly doing the heavy lifting for the community and the brand.

whatever their plan is to alleviate the concerns. One thing still remains....actually deliver great games....and xbox's track record has been shit, and things in this regards are going be hell for them to figure out in the next 2-4 years.

Astray

Phil has wanted multiplatforms for a while....?

Why did he make Bethesda exclusive then? I mean, he's the top guy of Xbox....did someone above him say no?
He wanted to create bargaining power to crowbar gamepass into the Playstation ecosystem.

That obviously failed, and going full exclusive didn't help the tanking Xbox consoles sales, so now they have to do something to boost ROI or otherwise they're gonna have to take a sledgehammer to all their studios and look like far greater bad guys than they already do.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Understanding that it was true. At this point it is better to wait for the officialdom and the explanations that will certainly be necessary. And of course they must be clear and concise.

At this point, the arrival of games that were exclusive from Xbox to PS5 and Switch can be taken for granted and we just need to know the terms or red lines, if any.

My bet or bingo card based on the tone of what was transmitted ("it's not that bad, you'll be fine" or "when it's explained it will be understood"...):

-They are going to go for the "case by case" and try to convince why it is something good for everyone. For example "more people playing", "expand the potential of IPs", the need to make the division profitable or extra returns to finance sequels or new projects for Xbox ....or to pay for the arrival of 3rd party games to Gamepass (FF series?)... "First/better on Xbox".

- The corresponding doubts and anger of XSeries users and fans of the brand will be attempted to be redirected in several ways:

a) They will officially announce a roadmap for the hardware and plans for the near future and nextGen (new controller, Xseries revisions, NextGen...). This will dispel the fears generated by the speakers who ensure that XBOX will become like EA, TakeTwo, etc. and will stop manufacturing consoles and renounce its own ecosystem.
Sarah Bond is there the head of hardware...

b) MS will set a date for the arrival of ABK games to Gamepass.

c) MS will invite fans to the "E3" Conference where there will be "exclusives" and big announcements (FFVII remake?, FFXVI?...)

I can only think of this as the way they could come out better, understanding that it will be impossible to come out without damage.

I think new developments will come to all platforms but older games and those nearing completion will be case by case as that takes further development effort.

Kssio_Aug

It's funny to see the complete 180 in the argument about PC not being a 'valid' concurrent platform, as soon as Sony started to release some of their big IPs on PC.

And about Xbox games coming to whatever platform, I don't really care. I buy Xbox because I like their system, and because I like Game Pass. I couldn't care less if other people can enjoy the same games on whichever machine they want.

Maybe with this eventually people will stop nitpicking about some of their 1st party games, that are actually great besides so much harsh criticism just because of console war.

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Imagine the meltdown when Microsoft announce a first party game will be launching on PS on release day. Did xbox fans really think Microsoft were gonna indefinitely send out their games to just die? Xbox is a failing platform and that isn't changing. Microsoft know it. PC isn't enough. They need PS and switch. Time to put your software on the consoles people actually want to buy.

hinch7

Guessing after Bethesda's recent blunders.. how much they spend in ABK. The declining hardware sales and interest in the brand. On top of the stagnation of uptake on GP subscribers. That Nadela and the board said no more to that money sink.

Last edited:
Top Bottom