• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360: $50 Price Cut coming (weekend of 7/6)

FoxSpirit

burgerdog said:
It will never change, unless they reduce the disc speed.

Actually, I heard different drives produce different noise, with one of them being very silent. Ok, so no going for a single retailer of them still?

McHuj

I don't think you'll see price cuts on any peripherals anytime soon. Maybe a 60GB HD instead of the 20GB HD at $100. The peripherals are pure profit for MS.

I would have thought we would have seen some bigger price cuts this year, maybe there will be another this holiday. Back in 2005, I would have bet my left nut that the xbox was going to be 199 by xmas 2008.

DiddyBop

i dont think sony will respond to this cut. with all the talk about reducing manufacturing costs to achieve profitability and all that,they cant afford to drop the price 50 dollars. consumers will see that the ps3 40gb is already a better value wit free online,wireless, and twice the HDD capacity. no need for sony to drop their price.

Mrbob

With the rumors of the incoming 60GB premium, I bet this is one of those temporary price cuts to get rid of 20GB systems. 60GB system will probably chalk in at above 300 dollars. I hope MS doesn't do this but I bet they will. :x

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Would dropping the Arcade's price under $250 (cost of the Wii) have any effect at all?
In the NPD thread - Yes. In real life - not really.

Tron 2.0

What odd timing.

My first thought is that they should have done this before GTA4, not after. I can't pretend to know what they're thinking, but I would imagine that they weren't expecting to have to drop the price because there would be excessive demand due to the release of GTA4. When that didn't exactly go according to plan, they turned to a price drop to drive hardware sales.

Chiggs

Dark FaZe said:
300$ for a 360 premium?
Absolutely no excuse not to pick one of these up. The software selection is really good and the new hardware changes are fairly solid as well.

I can think of a few reasons not to. Here's one of them:

Screwed over warranty-wise by Microsoft on my last two 360's right before their big RRoD announcement and treated like crap by tech support.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Chiggs said:

Screwed over warranty-wise by Microsoft on my last two 360's right before their big RRoD announcement and treated like crap by tech support.

Yeah.

Actually wait, no.

Back on factual things: if you can afford it, there's no reason to not get a 360 at $300. Without question the best current software lineup.

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, it bumped sales last year by ~100k.
Was it long term? What I am saying is there will be temporary bump only.

It could be just me but 360 looks overpriced to me for what it offers at current price point plus what you have to pay for other services and accessories. I'm not talking about game library.

zaidr

Chiggs said:

Xbox tech support (or specifically, xbox support in general) is a really weird dichotomy. Sometimes I've had to deal with the worst idiots around, barely being able to get them to understand anything I was saying, and vice versa...and sometimes I get through to people who seem to know what they're doing, know English very well, and everything goes swimmingly. They have got to have at least two different support stations, and if you looked hard enough, theres probably an forum/website that lists when to call to get through to someone coherent...

So getting back to your warranty problem...they didn't refund you?

omg rite said:
It needs to be:

$249.99 - Arcade ($30 drop)
$299.99 - Premium ($50 drop)
$379.99 - Elite ($70 drop)
That sounds about right, but I have to say I expected the price cut to be $100 for the Pro unit.

Dax01 said:
Excellent news. The timing strange, though.
Its the week before E3.

TheMan

MirageDwarf said:
$50 is not gonna make any major difference.

pretty much. 300 seems like a good price to people with lots of money and to kids who live at home and don't pay bills, but for the rest of the world, 300 is still a lot of money for a console. Gas prices are insane and affect everything else; just the other day there was a story on cnn about a gallon of milk costing something like 7 dollars (!!!) in hawaii. Obviously that's just one state but nontheless, magic pricepoint is gonna prolly be 200 dollars.

zaidr

MirageDwarf said:

It could be just me but 360 looks overpriced to me for what it offers at current price point plus what you have to pay for other services and accessories.

Wii says hai.

...And yes, don't jump down my throat - I know how supply and demand works, but from a purely hardware and services standpoint, its overpriced.

TheMan said:
pretty much. 300 seems like a good price to people with lots of money and to kids who live at home and don't pay bills, but for the rest of the world, 300 is still a lot of money for a console. Gas prices are insane and affect everything else; just the other day there was a story on cnn about a gallon of milk costing something like 7 dollars (!!!) in hawaii. Obviously that's just one state but nontheless, magic pricepoint is gonna prolly be 200 dollars.

I agree for the most part but it does get them closer to that pricepoint and rather waiting another year or 2 to get the premium to 200$ I think it's fine that they are slowly chipping away at the price.

daegan

I'm probably wrong but $50 doesn't seem nearly enough.

Pretty telling that this gen is more about profitability than market share.

So, I'm guessing a $50 price drop ahead of E3 and to stimulate some demand over the summer, and then another $50 to see in Q4 and Jasper.

That would make the most amount of sense anyway, although for its third Christmas you'd really expect it to be $199. But then, these are harder times I guess.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:

It could be just me but 360 looks overpriced to me for what it offers at current price point plus what you have to pay for other services and accessories. I'm not talking about game library.
Yes, but the price cut impact is hard to seperate out. Sales were up sequentially, with the cut in August and a certain game coming out in September.

zaidr

TheMan said:

Like college kids...but being in a dorm kind of negates that problem, since everyone can chip in, and have it stolen at the end of the month by some stupid fuckface. (sorry, it still stings a little...)

zaidr said:
Wii says hai.

...And yes, don't jump down my throat - I know how supply and demand works, but from a purely hardware and services standpoint, its overpriced.
Oh...I agree. Wii is overpriced from day one.

Mrbob

No one else finds it odd only the 20GB pro is listed with its price cut? :p

So let us take guesses now. Will the incoming 60GB premium still be $349 or less? My guess is it will be $329, since MS won't want to annoy everyone who buys a 20GB pro. But they probably will anyway once they find out the 60GB system is incoming for a little more cash.

zaidr

Mrbob said:

So let us take guesses now. Will the incoming 60GB premium still be $349 or less? My guess is it will be $329, since MS won't want to annoy everyone who buys a 20GB pro. But they probably will anyway once they find out the 60GB system is incoming for a little more cash.

probably not. too close to the pro price for it to work.

pr0cs

I was hoping the arcade model would be $199.
I don't know how much I'm going to believe this price drop annoucements, doesn't seem to make much sense to me to drop it now. I expected them to drop in August/Madden-time.

Perhaps Microsoft is seeing the PS3 finally start chipping away at the 360's monumental lead in North America and are countering with a price drop now?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mrbob said:

60GB Pro? Is there any proof behind that?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mrbob said:

I'm hoping this is to burn through the last stocks of the 20GB Premium, before introducing a 60GB Jasper Premium in September. *hopes*

Dark FaZe said:
300$ for a 360 premium?

Absolutely no excuse not to pick one of these up. The software selection is really good and the new hardware changes are fairly solid as well.

I think this will be the 360's last price drop myself. If guys don't eat this up then its because they just don't want it for whatever reason. The price, hardware, and software is absolutely there at this point.

$300 is far from a mass-market price point.

Man, if the Elite goes down below $400, I might get an Elite at Costco and trade in my Premium. Lord knows I could use the extra storage space.

burgerdog

Tron 2.0 said:
What odd timing.

My first thought is that they should have done this before GTA4, not after. I can't pretend to know what they're thinking, but I would imagine that they weren't expecting to have to drop the price because there would be excessive demand due to the release of GTA4. When that didn't exactly go according to plan, they turned to a price drop to drive hardware sales.

This is exactly what I was thinking, the fools probably thought: NO NEED TO DROP THE PRICE, GTA will drive massive sales because of our exclusive content! Epic fucking failure, a reduced price drop and gta would have truly done something.

stotch

Banned
Mrbob said:

Isn't MS switching to 60GB HDDs because the parts for 20GB HDDs aren't being mass produced anymore? Sony did the same thing and said that the 40GB HDD was actually cheaper to make than the 20GB.

sionyboy said:
So, I'm guessing a $50 price drop ahead of E3 and to stimulate some demand over the summer, and then another $50 to see in Q4 and Jasper.

That would make the most amount of sense anyway, although for its third Christmas you'd really expect it to be $199. But then, these are harder times I guess.
Actually we're coming up to Christmas #4.

2005 - Perfect Dark Zero
2006 - Gears of War
2007 - Halo 3
2008 - Gears of War 2

zaidr said:
Xbox tech support (or specifically, xbox support in general) is a really weird dichotomy... They have got to have at least two different support stations, and if you looked hard enough, theres probably an forum/website that lists when to call to get through to someone coherent...
I won't correct the math here, but this line gave me a chuckle.

GhaleonEB

Mrbob said:

When the first price cut was leaked, we only knew of the Pro cut as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175076

We had to speculate about the pricing on the other SKUs then as well, because the store was only advertising the Pro SKU.

Also, Shane Kim at E3 last year:

WN: Wouldn't this be a great time, then, to announce an Xbox 360 price cut? Why no price cut at E3?

SK: I think July is a terrible time to announce a price cut. Forget about E3. There's no business that gets done. Consumers are not buying a lot of consoles in July, or in August for that matter. The bulk of the business gets done in the holiday, the last three months of the year. Spring is the other big "season." A price cut in July is very, very odd. So we don't feel any pressure to announce any price cut here because of what Sony did. Sony has their own problems and they're trying to address it in their own way. That's up to them. To announce a price cut eight months into the lifecycle of a console is pretty unusual. That to me signifies some concern.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/e3-interview--1.html

sogood.gif

arne

This is tempting, I've been strongly considering giving myself the option to do HDMI with a new pro and this might push me over the edge to get a new console. That way I can hook up my future pc to my big screen tv and enjoy Crysis on a big comfy couch :p

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Actually we're coming up to Christmas #4.

2005 - Perfect Dark Zero
2006 - Gears of War
2007 - Halo 3
2008 - Gears of War 2

Wow the cheapest you could buy a 360 was $299 damn near 3 years ago and now the cheapest you can buy one is $279 (probably $249 after this price-drop). That is just ridiculous.

knitoe

Microsoft should have dropped the price before GTA IV. Instead, all we got was talk about how summer was slow and not worth the move. Now, after sales have fallen behind the PS3, had no choice but to drop price. Microsoft needs to pro-active and act like market leader instead of just responding to the situation.

Tron 2.0 said:
What odd timing.
Dax01 said:
Excellent news. The timing strange, though.
Is it really that much odder than last year's early-August drop?
sionyboy said:
So after a 2 year wait for the first drop, and a 1 year wait for the second drop... you think the next will come in a few months? At least if the periods between drops keep halving then by the end of the year it will be free.

_Angelus_

Banned
burgerdog said:
This is exactly what I was thinking, the fools probably thought: NO NEED TO DROP THE PRICE, GTA will drive massive sales because of our exclusive content! Epic fucking failure, a reduced price drop and gta would have truly done something.

Epic failure?
I can give you 3 billion reasons why price cuts don't help that much. Microsoft is making profit,I'm sure they're in no hurry to use the PS3 as a blueprint for price dropping.
Besides,they won't catch the Wii anyways, the gen. is already half over,its too late for that.
May as well stay the course.

Top Bottom