• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 (PC/Mac/Linux, Firaxis, November 2015) announced [Up: New info/screens in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You mean 'technically, yes', right? Them buying/selling keys from a reseller isn't illegal.

Waste of time arguing whether grey market is legit or not, particularly since the only opinion that matters in that argument is that of the publisher who can decide to turn off any keys they want to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So seems we're not gonna have to suffer the usual bullshit steam release time, and we all get midnight unlocks, xcom bby.

Still no pre-load, though. It would seem 2K is taking a leaf from Bethesda's book: there won't be a pre-load period, but when the game unlocks in AU/NZ, Valve will change the general release state to change to preloadonly.

Sblargh

Banned
It's not unlocking at midnight everywhere, but as per the store page it does have region-specific unlock times. AU/NZ are getting the game first (1 day and 1 hour from now... and ~12 minutes).

Oh, you're right, says so here 1 day and 13 hours. I'm in Brazil.

I am being robbed of 12 hours. I want proper. legal. representation.

Mupod

Can't play it until after work Friday and my internet will do 50 gigs before I finish eating dinner so doesn't matter to me when it releases. Would take the day off, but Fridays and Mondays it's pretty essential that I be at work. So I took Tuesday.

Have any reviewers mentioned how long it took them to finish and on what difficulty?

Mr Swine

Banned
I want to buy this but is GMG safe? After what happened to the Witcher 3 keys (I think) I'm a bit hesitant about buying from them

dumbo

I want to buy this but is GMG safe? After what happened to the Witcher 3 keys (I think) I'm a bit hesitant about buying from them

GMG are a 2k partner, they took part in the competition for the UK event, there's an interview between Garth and a GMG representative on their website, the XCOM-2 page identifies the keys as coming directly from firaxis... and their twitter indicates that they are waiting for the OK from firaxis before releasing the keys.

I'm pretty sure that they are 'very official' for this. (although it would be good if Firaxis/2k had a page with 'authorized resellers' - something that ubisoft does have).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Of course it's safe, stop listening to nonsense people spread on this site.

Sblargh

Banned
Can't play it until after work Friday and my internet will do 50 gigs before I finish eating dinner so doesn't matter to me when it releases. Would take the day off, but Fridays and Mondays it's pretty essential that I be at work. So I took Tuesday.

Have any reviewers mentioned how long it took them to finish and on what difficulty?

TotalBiscuit said something like 60 hours on normal (veteran?) difficulty; said he felt it was too easy and recommended classic (commander?) difficulty for XCOM veterans (parenthesis?)

I've bought from them numerous times. Never had any issues. CD Project Red is also the only dev I've heard complain about them (Perhaps there are other examples too), but given that they had a financial incentive not to have other folks undercut their own store's prices, I found the whole thing a bit... dubious.

JaseC

I've bought from them numerous times. Never had any issues. CD Project Red is also the only dev I've heard complain about them (Perhaps there are other examples too), but given that they had a financial incentive not to have other folks undercut their own store's prices, I found the whole thing a bit... dubious.

GMG was also reselling retail keys for Anno 2205 and AssCreed Syndicate. The games being 42%/36% cheaper than elsewhere at launch, respectively, made that quite clear as GMG's cut, like other digital stores that aren't Humble, is 30%, meaning that if the keys had been sourced from Ubi itself, GMG would have been losing money on each and every sale as it's legally obligated to provide Ubi with 70% of the revenue.

These days GMG mentions the source of keys on product pages, so there's no potential cause for alarm with XCOM 2.

GMG was also reselling retail keys for Anno 2205 and AssCreed Syndicate. The games being 42%/36% cheaper than elsewhere at launch, respectively, made that quite clear as GMG's cut, like other digital stores that aren't Humble, is 30%, meaning that if the keys had been sourced from Ubi itself, GMG would have been losing money on each and every sale.

I'm not saying there wasn't merit to the complaint. If it was a matter of reselling keys from one region to another, I do think that's problematic. However, I simply thought it was a bit strange that anyone selling it cheaper than the Gog was getting dinged. Once again though, it's not to say that didn't directly imply some shenanigans, but I thought it was interesting as GMG seemed to have generally had a pretty good reputation overall. Thanks for the additional info. Good to see GMG is talking about the key sources now to avoid these kind of issues.

Also, not on topic, I saw Brooklyn over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good.

JaseC

Ahh so if it arrives early (retail copy), we won't be able to play it until it unlocks?

Correct. You should be able to install and unlock the game while connected to an AU/NZ VPN, though, once the game has unlocked there (in roughly 24 hours and 45 minutes).

I'm not saying there wasn't merit to the complaint. If it was a matter of reselling keys from one region to another, I do think that's problematic. However, I simply thought it was a bit strange that anyone selling it cheaper than the Gog was getting dinged. Once again though, it's not to say that didn't directly imply some shenanigans, but I thought it was interesting as GMG seemed to have generally had a pretty good reputation overall. Thanks for the additional info.

Oh, I wasn't rebutting you; just clarifying that The Witcher 3 wasn't the only case.

Also, not on topic, I saw Brooklyn over the weekend. I thought it was pretty good.

It finally releases here in a week. Looking forward to seeing it, needless to say. ;)

Sblargh

Banned
Correct. You should be able to install and unlock the game while connected to an AU/NZ VPN, though, once the game has unlocked there (in roughly 24 hours and 45 minutes).

Woah, you just reminded me I did that for CIV 5. lol.

Goddamn firaxis.

jediyoshi

You mean 'technically, yes', right? Them buying/selling keys from a reseller isn't illegal.

If we're saying legit is short for legitimate, then technically, no. There's no accounting for what happens to those keys at any point and they're up to the whims of the publisher entirely without recourse. For example, if you purchased Arkham Knight through gray market, you wouldn't have been eligible for their refund offer. There's no actual channels between the distributor and publisher versus a legitimate seller.

Mr Swine

Banned

TotalBiscuit said something like 60 hours on normal (veteran?) difficulty; said he felt it was too easy and recommended classic (commander?) difficulty for XCOM veterans (parenthesis?)

GMG are a 2k partner, they took part in the competition for the UK event, there's an interview between Garth and a GMG representative on their website, the XCOM-2 page identifies the keys as coming directly from firaxis... and their twitter indicates that they are waiting for the OK from firaxis before releasing the keys.

I'm pretty sure that they are 'very official' for this. (although it would be good if Firaxis/2k had a page with 'authorized resellers' - something that ubisoft does have).

Thanks guys, bought it :) Cannot wait to play it (love the previous one)

Pheace

These days GMG mentions the source of keys on product pages, so there's no potential cause for alarm with XCOM 2.

No they don't. When it's not the publisher directly it now says "Authorized Seller".

That's basically slang for "We bought it from some other retailer and now we're reselling it to you for more"

And the fact that they are still capable of offering discounts up to where they do makes it *extremely* unlikely they're selling keys from/in the regions they were intended for.

That said, they're still a store, so they're going to try and stand by their keys if you have problems, which, imo, if you complain about a key that says "Authorized Seller", they don't have a foot to stand on and are likely to give you the benefit of the doubt.

JaseC

No they don't. When it's not the publisher directly it now says "Authorized Seller".

That's basically slang for "We bought it from some other retailer and now we're reselling it to you for more"

And the fact that they are still capable of offering discounts up to where they do makes it *extremely* unlikely they're selling keys from/in the regions they were intended for.

Well, obviously GMG isn't going to mention "These keys were sourced from Physical Stock Pile A transferred from Warehouse B by Distributor C" or whatever for resold keys as that could get a lot of people in trouble and ruin the supply line. My point was that GMG now differentiates between resold keys and keys obtained from publishers themselves, but, admittedly, I could have made that a little clearer.

Nezzhil

tumblr_n8amswZewS1rr5qhqo1_500.gif

Come on GMG!

rickyson1

anyone here pre-order anything from FunStock Digital before?

will they email me when my keys up or do I have to keep checking my order?

Wonder why this game is a Friday release.

I imagine they want to get it out earliest as possible. Today (3rd Feb 2016 at 4:30 ET) is when they (Take-two) announce Financial Results for Fiscal Third Quarter 2016. So tommorow and friday will be included in Q4.

Tl;dr business stuff

Edit: Just got my key from GMG too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom