• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Overside

Banned
I think my main problem was that I approached the game in the wrong way. Chasing around for an hour looking for some subquest monster which in the end only gives you some money as a reward is no fun at all.
Now I'm just accepting every quest and then explore the whole map. If I happen to have some quests open after that I just don't bother and move on with the story. Trying to be completionist with this game can take a lot of fun out of it.

And there it is. You have self enlightened.

The reason there are so many quests is indeed exactly so you dont have to worry about doing them all.

Its to make sure the player doesnt get affinity screwed.

Ive done several of what i consider are 100% runs, and not one run involved doing every quest, just getting all things (arts, best weapons/gear, unlocks, all complete maps, completed affinity web thats been different every time, etc). I would never try to do a 100% quest run.

Also, dont be afraid to use the wiki to prevent tedium, its an absolutely massive game, just becausei found something once doesnt mean ill remember it. I play blade with my phone in my pocket and pull it out for anything that could get more tedious than fun.

Do I really want to find tedious buttsniffer? I want a good fight... Hmmm... Well ive looked for him in the area it said for long enough.

*Googles tedious buttsniffer*

Ah hes over here and only comes out at times between X and X.

Oh, i need to report completion of this quest to blah? Heres where i saw him last... Where the hell is blah?

*Googles*

Oh he can be found right here at this time. Done.

Ive done several of what i consider are 100% runs, and not one run involved doing every quest, just getting all things (arts, best weapons/gear, unlocks, all complete maps, completed affinity web thats been different every time, etc). I would never try to do a 100% quest run.

I don't think including quests in a 100% run is necessarily a bad idea, but I agree that it shouldn't be during your first playthrough of the game. !00% quests can be pretty fun if you're on new game plus and don't have to worry about backtracking due to experience level.

I played through Xenoblade in about a week or two when I first got it at the EU launch. Then I started my 100% run. ... I'm still working on it.

Thanks for all the input in the last page, on cell otherwise would have quoted.

I think I am just going to have to jump in and see if I like it, I have never played a game that has a combat system like this, just hope I enjoy it, it always seemed like a neat game.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
Considering picking this up. Never made it past a certain boss toward the end. -_- Only ether worked on her and the poison in the room killed off the ai if they were pushed into it. This time around I'll level up everyone and try harder. Anyone know how many blocks the game is?

Thanks for all the input in the last page, on cell otherwise would have quoted.

I think I am just going to have to jump in and see if I like it, I have never played a game that has a combat system like this, just hope I enjoy it, it always seemed like a neat game.

The system is more common among MMOs. Much like other parts of Xenoblade, it was likely a test run of multiplayer-friendly combat that will be used in the Wii U game. Some singleplayer RPGs like FF12 have tackled it before. What matters most to successful combat strategy is damage per second, aggro, and tanking. The rest is in the details.

Overside

Banned
I don't think including quests in a 100% run is necessarily a bad idea, but I agree that it shouldn't be during your first playthrough of the game. !00% quests can be pretty fun if you're on new game plus and don't have to worry about backtracking due to experience level.

I played through Xenoblade in about a week or two when I first got it at the EU launch. Then I started my 100% run. ... I'm still working on it.

I dont think 100% quest run is fun at all.

around 250+ of the 400 quests are from no names, with no point whatsoever beyond gaining town affinity.

There is absolutely no reason to ever go out of your way to do a no names quest unless you got affinity screwed and need to increase affinity to unlock worth doing quest lines from named characters.

Except unique monsters. Cause just fighting those are fun. But you dont even need to take the quest to fight them and mark em off.

kubus

Hahaha oh my this was weird

I just started playing and wanted to look up a map of Colony 9 so I went to the Xenoblade wiki and checked the Colony 9 page. Somehow, I got this odd familiar feeling. Then it hit me.

The maps on the wiki were all provided by me, lol. I completely forgot about this.

So thank you me, for spending hours in Dolphin years ago piecing screenshots of the map together.

I'm honestly surprised they're still up there :D

Tovarisch

Really love this theme.
9Ipnnr8.jpg

jaina

I just started playing and wanted to look up a map of Colony 9 so I went to the Xenoblade wiki and checked the Colony 9 page. Somehow, I got this odd familiar feeling. Then it hit me.

The maps on the wiki were all provided by me, lol. I completely forgot about this.

So thank you me, for spending hours in Dolphin years ago piecing screenshots of the map together.

heh, that's an awesome story. thanks for your effort!

Overside

Banned

So this is you.

Of course they are still up there! The wiki is a normal part of xenoblade replays for me (seriously, who can remember all the little details of such a huge system?)

And im sure im not alone.

So, thanks for the maps.

parasky

Neo Member
Picked this game up on impulse. Really impressed by how big the world is so far, although I still need to focus on finishing G-Rank in MH4U.

Piotrek

Remember to download the 1.1 update from eshop. It's supposed to fix various bugs.

The game crashed on me after about 5 or 6 hours of playtime (the first time it happened since I have a 3DS), returned to the home screen and restarted the unit.

Now for the worse part - for fucks sake, Xenoblade 3DS does not have autosave. I now have to start right from the beginning. Thank God the cutscenes are skippable.

Ragus

Banned
30 hours into MH4 and now I bought this. The black box was just too sexy.

3DS - The Time Sinker of 2015

Really love this theme.
9Ipnnr8.jpg
Too bad it is Asia exclusive I think. Not showing up on my PAL theme shop, but in Japan.

Oh yeah the game is more fun now with Monado Powers unlocked.
Also sorry that I cannot keep track of US themes anymore. Do not want to lose RegionThree.

Expert tip for new comer:
Get rid Reyn and Sharla of your team, and git gud on using other characters ASAP
Not kiding

Also enchant is useless against non-mechon enemies.

PMS341

So when does this release in the US? I'm finding a lot of conflicting answers, unless its actually April 10th?

ilium

Expert tip for new comer:
Get rid Reyn and Sharla of your team, and git gud on using other characters ASAP
Not kiding

Why?
Wanted to make Sharla my leader but kinda bummed that she seems to be a healer. Would've prefered something damage oriented.

f@luS

More than a member.
Bought it. It's a very ugly game yet seems amazingly appealing

Too bad the landscape is wasted with such a bad iq

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why?
Wanted to make Sharla my leader but kinda bummed that she seems to be a healer. Would've prefered something damage oriented.

Reyn isn't THAT bad, but Dunban is a better tank since he largely avoids taking damage in the first place. That, and Xenoblade's battle system mostly rewards DPS and finishing battles quickly, and by using Sharla all you do is drag battles out since her DPS is by far the worst of the entire cast.

Overside

Banned
Why?

Unless you are a min maxer I wouldnt worry about it.

Sharla does get one art to help mitigate her low damage output, and thanks to status attacks actually mattering in xenoblade for the vast majority of fights, you can actually get some surprisingly good use out of it.

But if you want game destroying superboss defeating parties, yeah, get rid of those two.

ilium

Reyn isn't THAT bad, but Dunban is a better tank since he largely avoids taking damage in the first place. That, and Xenoblade's battle system mostly rewards DPS and finishing battles quickly, and by using Sharla all you do is drag battles out since her DPS is by far the worst of the entire cast.

Sharla does get one art to help mitigate her low damage output, and thanks to status attacks actually mattering in xenoblade for the vast majority of fights, you can actually get some surprisingly good use out of it.

But if you want game destroying superboss defeating parties, yeah, get rid of those two.

Ah OK. Wanted to make Dunban part of my Team anyway so that's cool. My Team would've been Dunban, Melia and Sharla. Sharla leader until i get Melia then make her leader cause i read the AI handles her poorly. With whom should i replace sharlia with? Shulk i assume for monado powers?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ah OK. Wanted to make Dunban part of my Team anyway so that's cool. My Team would've been Dunban, Melia and Sharla. Sharla leader until i get Melia then make her leader cause i read the AI handles her poorly. With whom should i replace sharlia with? Shulk i assume for monado powers?

Whoever you want, really. For your first playthrough I'd suggest just using whoever you feel like, different characters have different strengths and weaknesses. As you play you will find yourself more comfortable with different parties, or perhaps different parties for different situations.

The main thing is to just not get trapped in the idea that you need Sharla. That tends to happen to a lot of people since she's the only "true" healer-type, and folks tend to be afraid to drop her because they feel they might not survive battles. It just becomes about efficiency though - greater damage output means enemies die faster so you take less damage, and as a result don't need as much healing. Plus Dunban dodging things further reduces the need to heal much, allowing a character like Shulk or Riki to be plenty sufficient.

I guess I'll start planning my Xenoblade replay. Going to do a unique monster only run, outside of killing all the stuff in the "canyon" area before you first get to Colony 9 to level up for the first UM. Probably also going to do a handful of quests for some specific equipment. Need to map it out before I start it.

Overside

Banned

Yeah, melia just has way too much for the ai to really handle. But again, unless you are min maxxing, or trying to superboss, or purposefully going in way over your level, its not something you really have to worry about.

Shulk is always a pretty good choice, you cant really go wrong with him, and he is incredibly useful in chain attacks, thanks to the monado arts being his 'wild card' combo color.

TheMoon

So when does this release in the US? I'm finding a lot of conflicting answers, unless its actually April 10th?

If only you'd read the damn OP. Come on. It's right there. It's insulting that you don't even bother to read the very first lines of text in the first post of this thread.

Xbro

Oh shit i totally spoilered myself!

I wanted to know who
Fioras
voice actor is, checked a wiki and saw
a picture of her as a mechon

:(

Don't worry, I did the same thing. Just as long as you don't do anything with the wiki later on you should be fine. The cutscenes and twists are still an absolute blast.

PMS341

If only you'd read the damn OP. Come on. It's right there. It's insulting that you don't even bother to read the very first lines of text in the first post of this thread.

And then you add more to your post? C'mon man.

Conflicting reports. I saw the OP, then saw other dates as I did research.

Insulting? Get over yourself and quit being so aggressive on the Internet.

Xbro

Ok 12 hours in and I think I'm getting it now, last 3 hours of exploring the swamp area have been a blast! Also combat is getting a lot more exciting and challenging. Game redeemed.

Also, the thread title is amazing, I chuckle everytime the line comes up in combat.

I would recommend you start utilizing your gems to build up your party. Reyn gets Aggro Up gems, Defense up, etc. Dunban gets Agility up gems, Aggro up etc. Sharla gets Ether Up gems, Aggro down gems etc.

Bleh.

You guys make me want to play it again. And thus buy a new 3ds xl D:
I can't afford that shit !

Just do like me.

Look for your consoles with a ton of dust on them that haven't been played in months. Sell them.

Bam. My only meaningful expense in getting an n3DS were old systems that I had no particular attachment to.

Zing

Banned
I still can't wrap my head around how fighting works in this game, will I select a skill then wait for it to start and position myself while it does? Then wait for a time period until I can again? I am guessing stringing types of skills together will generate different effects, is it all physical or is there a magical element anywhere?
I remember when I played this at release, I believe I never did completely figure out combat back then. I quit the game 13 hours in right at I reached Colony 6.

The re-release of this game made me want to try again. I'm about 8 hours in and everything clicks this time. I am really enjoying playing as all the characters. I'm currently using Sharla. I enjoy just hanging back, protecting and healing. Although, the targeting can get messy sometimes.

I'm enjoying the game much more this time around. I thought I had quit due to being overwhelmed by quests, but I've done every quest I've seen so far and it's not an issue.

RagnarokX

My game destroying superboss defeating party was
Melia
Riki
, and Sharla.
Melia
is amazing in the hands of the player since they can hit enemies regardless of level disparity and hit them hard.
Riki
can draw aggro and dish out status effects and heal. And Sharla pretty much kept the other two alive.

Malus

Just finished watching Cryaotic's blind let's play of Xenoblade. So fucking hyped for X. Jealous of all you about to play it for the first time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Melia
Riki
, and Sharla.
Melia
is amazing in the hands of the player since they can hit enemies regardless of level disparity and hit them hard.
Riki
can draw aggro and dish out status effects and heal. And Sharla pretty much kept the other two alive.

The complete opposite party I settled on.

I want to do another low level Abaasy kill, at level 50 or so. My level 55 one could have been improved in a number of ways, and I'd like to do it "more legit" and not have to use cheats to keep my level low. But Xenoblade doesn't like to not give exp, so it's hard and would probably take a freaking ton of resets to use the reflection trick to not get exp in any fights.

Vecks

I remember when I played this at release, I believe I never did completely figure out combat back then. I quit the game 13 hours in right at I reached Colony 6.

The re-release of this game made me want to try again. I'm about 8 hours in and everything clicks this time. I am really enjoying playing as all the characters. I'm currently using Sharla. I enjoy just hanging back, protecting and healing. Although, the targeting can get messy sometimes.

I'm enjoying the game much more this time around. I thought I had quit due to being overwhelmed by quests, but I've done every quest I've seen so far and it's not an issue.

I liked using Sharla a lot. I prefer playing support roles, so a sniper/support was pretty awesome IMO.

The complete opposite party I settled on.

I want to do another low level Abaasy kill, at level 50 or so. My level 55 one could have been improved in a number of ways, and I'd like to do it "more legit" and not have to use cheats to keep my level low. But Xenoblade doesn't like to not give exp, so it's hard and would probably take a freaking ton of resets to use the reflection trick to not get exp in any fights.

Didn't you see the guy beating the superbosses at level 53? :p

Overside

Banned
Melia
Riki
, and Sharla.
Melia
Riki

Great point here. Xenblades cast is pretty dang flexible and functional.

Thinking back, I think the main reason i switched out Sharla is that the wife just couldnt stop snickering about her boobs. Shed be playing layton on the couch and just look up and snicker every couple of minutes.

Then she came up with a theory about the gravity on bionis and why only sharlas bounced, and why they bounced like water baloons filled with jello, in space.

Oh and then came the sound effects.

"Woobleworble Woobleworble" Arms waving And undulating. Yeah thats what did it.

Xbro

Great point here. Xenblades party is pretty dang flexible and functional.

Thinking back, I think the main reason i switched out Sharla is that the wife just couldnt stop snickering about her boobs. Shed be playing layton on the couch and just look up and snicker every couple of minutes.

Then she came up with a theory about the gravity on bionis and why only sharlas bounced, and why they bounced like water baloons filled with jello, in space.

Melia's bounce too, but it's more subtle.
They got nothing on Vanea though

I enjoyed seeing Cry's reactions to the game.

Quick question actually (Xenoblade spoilers).

Are you sure it's the best idea to be posting in this thread with that avatar? A lot of people in this thread are going to be playing the game for the first time, and that image alone is a pretty big spoiler.

Xbro

Quick question actually (Xenoblade spoilers).

Are you sure it's the best idea to be posting in this thread with that avatar? A lot of people in this thread are going to be playing the game for the first time, and that image alone is a pretty big spoiler.

:|

You raise a valid point actually. Will change it for now, but it will be back at the end of the month.

:|

You raise a valid point actually. Will change it for now, but it will be back at the end of the month.

I didn't mean it personally or anything like that. I was just worried that some people in the middle of their first playthrough might notice that avatar and get a certain something spoiled for them. I already know someone who got it spoiled through one of Smash Tour's Trophies. =p

Top Bottom