• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

clemenx

Banned
So, uh I'm a bit lost. Lvl 70 spoilers.
After getting my mind blown in Mechonis Core, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the new quests. I went to every town to see what's new and most of the quests put me against level 80+ stuff with a lot of lvl 90. Any quests that I missed or any new enemies that spawned that are around lvl 75? Anything above that just kicks my ass ;/ I ran a bit around the Bionis interior and I guess there's that also I think I can do Lorithia right now (I'm lvl71) But I don't really want to advance the story right away!
I'm at 80 hours btw. I wept a little when my hours passed my level ;-; was around lvl 69 heh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After getting my mind blown in Mechonis Core, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the new quests. I went to every town to see what's new and most of the quests put me against level 80+ stuff with a lot of lvl 90. Any quests that I missed or any new enemies that spawned that are around lvl 75? Anything above that just kicks my ass ;/ I ran a bit around the Bionis interior and I guess there's that also I think I can do Lorithia right now (I'm lvl71) But I don't really want to advance the story right away!
I'm at 80 hours btw. I wept a little when my hours passed my level ;-; was around lvl 69 heh.

Windy Cave on Bionis Leg has some monsters in the 70s. But yeah, most of the stuff that opens up is end game/post game stuff.

Zornica

Banned

you should advance the story until the point of no return. as you said, all quests are 80+, because they are considered endgame content. If you start gaining levels at your point of progress, everything that follows storywise will be a joke. I'd finish the game, and THEN return to do the really cool stuff, like those lvl 100+ bosses.

If you really wanna gain some lvls, I'd do it in the first chamber of
Bionis Interior
or bionis leg (on top of those mushrooms)

clemenx

Banned
Ah okay, I figured as much. Is just that I've never had the urge to advance the story right away in this game, absolutely love it. I guess I can run around and level that way.

I discovered 2 secret areas in Tephra Cave that gave me 150k+ exp :O All while running away from aggroed lvl 90 mobs xD Though I'm assuming there's not that many new areas. I don't remember anything but this cave having blocked paths

Thanks guys!

creid

I think it sounds great on my Canton movie 125 mx surround system, but I'm no audiophile.
I don't consider myself an audiophile either but I've got a decent soundsystem and if this issue isn't just limited to me, I don't know how I'd be the first one to notice it.

B.K.

I see Monolithsoft still likes to have at least one cheap boss in their games. I can't beat
Lorithia in Bionis' heart. I managed to get her down to about 15% once, but I always die on the second or third round of shields.

I see Monolithsoft still likes to have at least one cheap boss in their games. I can't beat
Lorithia in Bionis' heart. I managed to get her down to about 15% once, but I always die on the second or third round of shields.

It's not really a "cheap" boss; it just requires a radically different strategy than the ones you can use to bulldoze your way through the rest of the game.
She
isn't that difficult once you're able to figure things out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not really a "cheap" boss; it just requires a radically different strategy than the ones you can use to bulldoze your way through the rest of the game.
She
isn't that difficult once you're able to figure things out.

Melia, Sharla, Riki, Ether KABOOM.

Eusis

Well, you work best with a specific Melia strategy rather than just dragging her in, I had notably less trouble once
I focused on blasting and copying Bolt. I'd recommend getting some practice there if you haven't been using her much, get a feel for how controlling her works (it's always the last summoned elemental she fires, so you can summon up a buff one or two first, then focus on flinging bolt and maybe another as necessary, IE clearing up the elementals that pop up.)

clemenx

Banned
Oh well, I decided to press on and finished the game :') LOVED the ending I dont see how anyone could've seen that coming, lol.
I was lvl 79 for final battle 90 hours played :D I'll take a rest from it and do the endgame quests and monsters later. Such an amazing game. RPG of the generation indeed.

Eusis

Oh well, I decided to press on and finished the game :') LOVED the ending I dont see how anyone could've seen that coming, lol.
I was lvl 79 for final battle 90 hours played :D I'll take a rest from it and do the endgame quests and monsters later. Such an amazing game. RPG of the generation indeed.
Well, some of it's easy enough to predict because
the game was originally called Monado: Beginning of the World. Either they're just referring to the prologue bit, or the end of the game is literally going to be about the world being recreated on some level, in this case the end of living on titans and the start of living on a normal planet surface.

I don't consider myself an audiophile either but I've got a decent soundsystem and if this issue isn't just limited to me, I don't know how I'd be the first one to notice it.

I had this issue, once each, with Disaster: Day of Crisis (played on Gecko), Smash Bros., and Super Mario Galaxy. Restarting eliminated the problem every time. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware fault as I've never duplicated the problem with those games or any other game on Dolphin.

Can someone explain skill linking to me? Stopped playing when it unlocked and I can't remember anything from the tutorial.

Something to do with affinities.

Can someone explain skill linking to me? Stopped playing when it unlocked and I can't remember anything from the tutorial.

Can't explain it to you since I haven't played for very much yet, but iirc you can view all the tutorials again from the menu.

Luigiv

You can link any skill from any other character as long as;

1. The skill you're borrowing has been unlocked for the character you're borrowing from,
2. The skill is the some shape as the slot you're assigning it too and
3. You have enough affinity coins to link said skill (better skills require more coins).

Each character can link up to 5 skill from each other character though to unlock all those slots you need to raise the affinity of each character pairing to maximum.

That's the basic gist of it. The easiest way to learn is to just try it. Skills can be unlinked at any time so their are no consequences for experimenting. In execution the system is must simpler than it is on paper.

mclem

You see how all the skills you have in the skill trees have shapes around them?

If you pull up the skill linking page (linked from the skill trees page), you'll see all your companions with sets of empty skill slots of various shapes below them.

Point 1: The higher the character's affinity with the given companion, the more of those slots are unlocked.

Selecting an unlocked slot opens that companion's skill tree page; at that point, you can select any one of their abilities.

Point 2: You can select any ability from that skill tree that is both *unlocked* and *the same shape* as the slot you're comparing with. You will never get empty circle slots; those skills are always unique to that character.

Finally, when you choose the ability, you'll see there's a cost on the side of the screen to unlock that skill.

Point 3: You need to pay the cost in affinity coins to link the skill. The cost is per-skill; some skills are much more expensive to link than others.

The cost is not permanent. If you unlink the skill, you get all the affinity coins back. Also, each character has their own independent pool of affinity coins; linking a skill to one character doesn't affect the other character's stock of coins.

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into it when I get a chance.

Getting the affinity coins back is pretty great. More and more I'm surprised by how well designed this game is. Usually I'll find a shitty system that I have to resign myself to deal with other JRPGs. So far, everything has been wonderful. Clever, even.

I appreciate the replies. I'll look into it when I get a chance.

Getting the affinity coins back is pretty great. More and more I'm surprised by how well designed this game is. Usually I'll find a shitty system that I have to resign myself to deal with other JRPGs. So far, everything has been wonderful. Clever, even.

The game is surprisingly deep, but thankfully they don't dump everything on you at once. You don't even really need to start thinking about gem crafting for a few dozen hours, and the importance of skill linking evolves along with character affinity throughout the game.

I just wish some of the mechanics would have been more fleshed out and/or changed a bit. The future-telling ability is nice for several battles against bosses and uniques, but I think it can break the flow of battle sometimes. It's especially bad when you're fighting a monster several levels below you that you know you'll beat easily. And Purge, despite getting central attention in the storyline, is only available to a single character and has essentially no use in most battles.

creid

I had this issue, once each, with Disaster: Day of Crisis (played on Gecko), Smash Bros., and Super Mario Galaxy. Restarting eliminated the problem every time. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware fault as I've never duplicated the problem with those games or any other game on Dolphin.
It's happened every time I've started the game up, so far :/

B.K.

I just realized that they completely dropped the
Bionis cult
subplot. I wonder if Takahashi forgot about that. You don't even see
Lorithia's assassin girl again after you leave Alcamoth.

Levyne

Banned
Bionis cult

Isn't there
a sidequest late that sort of closes it?

Bionis cult

End game spoilers:
You do, actually. Near Colony 6 after Mechonis core.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The "Cult of Bionis" never gets more than a passing mention, it's hardly worth considering a subplot. But yeah,
Tyrea shows back up later in a sidequest, but it's not really related to the cult so much as her background with Melia.

B.K.

Melia, Sharla, Riki, Ether KABOOM.

I tried using Melia and died even faster than I do with Shulk, Sharla, and Reyn. If the AI wasn't so horrible, I think I could win, but Sharla and Reyn keep going into the poison water.

I hate this damn game. I never thought Monolithsoft would put out something this bad.

creid

Not sure if this is why I was having problems in the first place, but I turned on "force NTSC" in Gecko today and my sound is much better.

Ultratech

I tried using Melia and died even faster than I do with Shulk, Sharla, and Reyn. If the AI wasn't so horrible, I think I could win, but Sharla and Reyn keep going into the poison water.

I hate this damn game. I never thought Monolithsoft would put out something this bad.

Keep in mind you can order your party to focus on one enemy or have them fall back to you. Tactics are a powerful thing.

More so, I don't really remembering having that much trouble with the fight. Hell, I didn't even know about the poison water until I started reading stuff on here. Of course, I was using Melia, Dunban, and Sharla.

Also, boss is pretty vulnerable to Topple. Use and abuse!

ksamedi

I never thought someone would call this game... bad.

Eusis

I never thought someone would call this game... bad.
Unless he's referring to just the boss, in which case Xenosaga II and Baten Kaitos proved that to me long ago. At least the rest of the game is way more awesome and even that boss can be less of a problem.

Combine

Banned
What I really love about this game is that every new area feels DIFFERENT. Nothing feels like it re-used or recycled complete areas to artificially expand the game. Even better is that each new area visually just amazes more and more. Just got to
the Mechonis Field
and the visuals along with the music just create such a vibrant world.

I have to wonder just how big a dev team worked on this game, because it must have been a lot of people considering the size and scope of the title. Granted they could probably save time with art assets since they didn't need to be super HD, but it would still require a lot to create the content that exists.

B.K.

Has anyone had trouble getting the quest for Shulk's
fourth skill tree
? My affinity at Colony 9 is at four stars, but I can't get the quest.

Tess3ract

Banned

You should be controlling melia, she owns. Dunban/shulk/melia and watch mobs melt.

KarmaCow

fourth skill tree

IIRC, it requires closer to 5 stars than 4 stars. There might also be some prerequisite quests.

clemenx

Banned
OMG end game spoilers
Some of the Telethia in Alcamoth are the people blacked out in the affinity chart :'( It killed me that I recognized a couple of names. Also, the bipedal Telethia seem pretty weak... I can take 2 at once at a 9lvl difference. Granted, my gems and skill links are pretty good but still. <3 Dunban and Fiora's agility they hit everything despite the level.

B.K.

I'm at the point of no return. I guess I need to try to find a few more quests to do. I don't think there are many available to me. I pretty much quit doing quests about 3/4 of the way through the game. They were getting too boring.

Eusis

I did quests more heavily towards the start and whenever I was starting to have trouble. I'd generally accept all monster hunting ones though since usually I could polish those off through normal gameplay; may as well get some money for it! Maybe in a replay on the NA version I'll actually go for 100% quests. Affinity will be a bitch though, I wish that was handled through specific quests raising it rather than whoever's in your party when you accept/complete quests and what happens in battle.

Zornica

Banned
fourth skill tree

If I remeber correctly, desire needs to be connected to some specific people in the diagramm... I can't remember their names... It's someone from the military district, and the artist from the from the park bench next to betty's house. Just look at the diagramm and speek with all the people surrounding Desire at least once, better twice (or more).

creid

Not sure if this is why I was having problems in the first place, but I turned on "force NTSC" in Gecko today and my sound is much better.
Ugh, nevermind. Still happening even with force NTSC on. I must've been lucky last night and just randomly didn't have the problem. Took three startups today to make it sound fine. Goddammit.

Ugh, nevermind. Still happening even with force NTSC on. I must've been lucky last night and just randomly didn't have the problem. Took three startups today to make it sound fine. Goddammit.

What's your setup? Are you playing on an NTSC TV? Is it a CRT or HDTV? What cables are you using?

I don't know what the problem could be, but if you're playing from a HDD there may have been a problem with the rip. If playing from the disc works fine, then that's likely the culprit.

Out of curiosity, are you booting straight into HBC or going through the Wii Menu first?

I'm doubtful this has any impact, but who knows.

xandaca

I know I keep asking what are undoubtedly very stupid questions, but does anyone know why Melia's talent art never seems to activate for me? I let her auto-attack for ages to no avail. I know there's a very specific way of using her arts, any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Progress-wise, I've just entered Eryth Sea with my characters at Level 40.

I know I keep asking what are undoubtedly very stupid questions, but does anyone know why Melia's talent art never seems to activate for me? I let her auto-attack for ages to no avail. I know there's a very specific way of using her arts, any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Progress-wise, I've just entered Eryth Sea with my characters at Level 40.

The conditions for each character's talent gauge filling are different; for Melia, it fills when she discharges summons (or activates them, I forget which one). Her talent art will automatically be used when it's full, and you'll know when it happens, because the light show is great.

The character-specific tutorials you can access from the menu give details for how to use the talent gauge effectively.

xandaca

The conditions for each character's talent gauge filling are different; for Melia, it fills when she discharges summons (or activates them, I forget which one). Her talent art will automatically be used when it's full, and you'll know when it happens, because the light show is great.

The character-specific tutorials you can access from the menu give details for how to use the talent gauge effectively.

Aha, thanks. Still weird I haven't activated her Art yet though, as I tend to cycle through her summons in lieu of any 'real' attacks being available. Good idea checking the menu, I always forget it's there!

Top Bottom