• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

B.K.

I've been doing some quests today to get a couple extra levels and some better gems for the final battle. Is there any place to harvest rank five Ether crystals or do I just get them from high level monsters?

Ultratech

I've been doing some quests today to get a couple extra levels and some better gems for the final battle. Is there any place to harvest rank five Ether crystals or do I just get them from high level monsters?

Pretty much fight high-leveled monsters or upgrade
Colony 6
to where its Ether Crystals are Rank V. The new areas in
Tephra Cave
and
Bionis Interior
also have some deposits where you can get some Rank V crystals. Pretty sure that Lv75-80+ enemies drop them like candy.

Aha, thanks. Still weird I haven't activated her Art yet though, as I tend to cycle through her summons in lieu of any 'real' attacks being available. Good idea checking the menu, I always forget it's there!
Melia's talent art is essentially a status effect. Though she does have arts that can only be activated when the talent gauge is full.

Wichu

I've been messing around with various things in Dolphin.

Original:

Altered:

Switched the Monado and logo textures for high-res ones, and replaced the font. I'm not too keen on how it looks here, but it definitely looks better in-game than the original font (at 1080p, that is).

Also got some ending screenshots in Dolphin; if anyone wants me to put them up, I will.

creid

What's your setup? Are you playing on an NTSC TV? Is it a CRT or HDTV? What cables are you using?

I don't know what the problem could be, but if you're playing from a HDD there may have been a problem with the rip. If playing from the disc works fine, then that's likely the culprit.
NTSC HDTV, component cables connected to my receiver which is connected to my TV via HDMI. Playing directly from disk. The audio seems to be fine once for every 3 or 4 startups.
Out of curiosity, are you booting straight into HBC or going through the Wii Menu first?

I'm doubtful this has any impact, but who knows.
I startup to BootMii, select Homebrew Channel, select Gecko (the latest version,) and then 'start disc' or whatever the option is called.

Oxx

I'm back playing the game after almost a month away. Let's see if I still remember my stuff.

I'm currently level 85, what is reccomended for the
Tephra Cave
stuff?

Wichu

I'm back playing the game after almost a month away. Let's see if I still remember my stuff.

I'm currently level 85, what is reccomended for the
Tephra Cave
stuff?

You can probably kill a few of the weaker monsters near
Vilia Lake
. But I'd just get a few more levels in
Alcamoth
so you can go and properly explore.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, you should be able to get to 89/90 easily in
Alcamoth, particularly in the palace
since there are some higher level enemies in there.

And I can vouch for Deinos Sauros once you hit 93, those give fantastic experience and you can get to 99 no problem off those. And they drop great crystals you'll want for the 100+ enemies.

Oxx

The Gorilla-looking enemies on Gaur Plains, maybe. I can't quite remember the levels involved. If that's too easy (or the XP isn't massive), head to
Alcamoth.

Oxx

Yeah, you might be a little low, but one or two levels might make all the difference. This morning I was running around there with level 85 characters dispatching the level 90 enemies.

Ultratech

Try Satorl Marsh (night).

Yeah, Satorl isn't too bad for around 78. Most of the high-level stuff there is low 80s.

The key to fighting high-leveled stuff is being able to actually hit them. Makes Melia useful with Summon Wind active.
With Riki, you can kill stuff much higher though an act of attrition. (So long as his debuffs hit, they're doing constant damage; the enemy HAS to die sometime.)

NTSC HDTV, component cables connected to my receiver which is connected to my TV via HDMI. Playing directly from disk. The audio seems to be fine once for every 3 or 4 startups.

I startup to BootMii, select Homebrew Channel, select Gecko (the latest version,) and then 'start disc' or whatever the option is called.
Interesting.

FWIW, I have BootMii launching the Wii system menu (e.g, normal bootup), and then select the homebrew channel the same way I would go to the Wii Shop or a Virtual Console game (for example). You could give that way a try and see if it gives you a better success rate.

B.K.

Finally finished the game. Now I can shelve it. Monolithsoft let me down. I expected more from Takahashi and his team.

I feel like I didn't experiment enough with my team the three times I went through the game. Late game character/story spoilers follow:

I'd say I played as Shulk about 90% of the time, if not more. I tried everyone else at least a few times but I always found myself missing some of Shulk's abilities. As the main character he's so much more adaptable than everyone else and obviously that's meant to be the case seeing as he's the one with the Monado.

On my first play I played as Shulk with naked Dunban as tank and Sharla healing. On my New Game+ I played as Shulk with Reyn as tank for about half of it, armoured Dunban as tank for the other half while switching my third character to whoever I felt like at the time. I absolutely love Reyn's tanking compared to Dunban's, being able to round up four or five groups of level-appropriate enemies and have him hold aggro while Fiora and Shulk go to work on them was great.

For the level 100+ enemies I used Shulk, armoured Dunban and Fiora, all appropriately armoured and gemmed and every fight was a massacre. Love it.

I feel like I didn't experiment enough with my team the three times I went through the game. Late game character/story spoilers follow:

I'd say I played as Shulk about 90% of the time, if not more. I tried everyone else at least a few times but I always found myself missing some of Shulk's abilities. As the main character he's so much more adaptable than everyone else and obviously that's meant to be the case seeing as he's the one with the Monado.

On my first play I played as Shulk with naked Dunban as tank and Sharla healing. On my New Game+ I played as Shulk with Reyn as tank for about half of it, armoured Dunban as tank for the other half while switching my third character to whoever I felt like at the time. I absolutely love Reyn's tanking compared to Dunban's, being able to round up four or five groups of level-appropriate enemies and have him hold aggro while Fiora and Shulk go to work on them was great.

For the level 100+ enemies I used Shulk, armoured Dunban and Fiora, all appropriately armoured and gemmed and every fight was a massacre. Love it.

Wait.. You never mained Melia? You're missing out. Having access to her abilities was a blast (in more ways than one).

Also, welcome to GAF! Loving the screen name. ;)

ajim

Beat the game just before! Holy fucking shit was this game good. So many "wtf" and "omg" moments in the story and throughout. Absolutely fucking loved it!

The most difficult boss for me was
Dickson
, what a total pain in the ass.

Quick question (for those that have completed):

I read somewhere that you can obtain Meynith's monado for Fiora, how do you go about getting it? And what other goodies can I obtain that people usually miss etc. Cheers. I also don't understand what role Alvis actually played - awesome character tho. I really wanted to fight him tho.

FUCK. So absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to finally be posting here after years of reading :)

Nope, I've not spent more than about half hour playing as Melia. I know she can put out some insane damage if you don't leave her to the AI to control, I just never allowed myself to get the hang of her abilities.

It really is a testament to this game that I can finish it three times, find every unlockable, scour every corner of every area, beat every monster, get multiples of every useful gem, get the best weapons and armour, finish every collection and max out every affinity and STILL feel like there are parts of the game I haven't even scratched the surface of.

The next time my significant other is away from home I'm planning to start a fourth run from scratch with
Melia as main, Riki as tank (thinking I can get an excellent spike damage aggro build out of him) and Sharla mainly as ranged DPS/a bit of healing

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question (for those that have completed):

I read somewhere that you can obtain Meynith's monado for Fiora, how do you go about getting it? And what other goodies can I obtain that people usually miss etc. Cheers. I also don't understand what role Alvis actually played - awesome character tho. I really wanted to fight him tho.

1)
I've never heard anything like that, and it doesn't really make sense that you would be able to get it. It doesn't "exist" until Meyneth gets it out to fight Zanza, and Zanza takes it as soon as the battle is over. So there really isn't an opportunity to get it.
Sounds like a "Mew and the truck" type thing to me.

2) Huge spoiler warning, do NOT read this unless you've beaten the game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32000515&postcount=14948

ajim

1)
I've never heard anything like that, and it doesn't really make sense that you would be able to get it. It doesn't "exist" until Meyneth gets it out to fight Zanza, and Zanza takes it as soon as the battle is over. So there really isn't an opportunity to get it.
Sounds like a "Mew and the truck" type thing to me.

2) Huge spoiler warning, do NOT read this unless you've beaten the game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32000515&postcount=14948

Thanks for the replies, that link help explain a lot to me. Damn, this game just seems more awesome everytime I read about it.

Also, I just did a google search, Meyneth's Monado can only be obtained by using codes, it's Fiora's strongest weapon and comes with an 'Unbeatable IV' gem.

Oxx

My current posse is:
Melia/Shulk/7th... which is kinda harsh on Melia considering how the relationships ended-up. I'm just rubbing her nose in it.

Wichu

My current posse is:
Melia/Shulk/7th... which is kinda harsh on Melia considering how the relationships ended-up. I'm just rubbing her nose in it.

Douche move, man, douche move.
I used the same combo quite a lot during the game.

clemenx

Banned
I'm trying to raise affinity among everyone right now so I'm varying teams. My affinity chart between party is really funny. I basically just used Dunban during the game so everyone loves him but they don't like each other :(
Also, I love colony 6 music when it gets to lvl 5. So upbeat and happy!

Alcamoth end game spoilers question:
Do I get to see Alcamoth somewhat restored or no? at least with the landmarks available? I've done some quests from Frontier Village called restoring the capital but I don't see more quests in that line it seems. I guess it stays like that with the telethia but I'm just curious.

Wichu

Riki think old avatar silly! Heropon make all better!
ibgr9niI0CyIwZ.png

Riki made of little dots! But Reyn still more square than Riki!

ajim

I hated Riki at the beginning (so much that I made a post about it on here), but I grew to love him towards the end <3

How to I go back to previous areas? I wanna go back to the refugee colony and buy some manuals for Shulk.

The merchant near where I am (the marsh) only has the ones for
Dunban

How to I go back to previous areas? I wanna go back to the refugee colony and buy some manuals for Shulk.

Dunban

Ouch, you got all the way to the Marsh without using quick travel? Go to the menu and select the map option - it should be the one all the way on the left - then select an area and a landmark to travel to. You can also use the analog stick to go around the map for each area and select a landmark.

Wichu

Dunban

Leftmost option in the menu lets you fast travel to any area you've visited.

Oxx

I'm trying to raise affinity among everyone right now so I'm varying teams. My affinity chart between party is really funny. I basically just used Dunban during the game so everyone loves him but they don't like each other :(
Also, I love colony 6 music when it gets to lvl 5. So upbeat and happy!

Ha, I should go and look at my chart. Everybody hates Rikki!

exhume

Yessss I finally finished this game after ~105 hours and can now go back through the thread and read everyone's spoilers!! Seriously though I'm so glad I somehow managed to stay current with this thread without accidentally spoiling the ending because it was badass.

I had a go at playing everyone but mained Shulk, along with 7th and Riki for the last part of the game. I started out hating Riki but damn is he awesome by the end. During the fight against the final boss's third form Riki had to revive me, his little "Riki is lonely without you" line really warmed my heart. <3

Also Wichu that avatar is so cool.

Edit: Might I also mention how annoying it is that there are only three save slots for this game? Are all Wii games like this? I want to get my b/f playing this but I hate to give up any of my save files!

Oh well, having a hard time convincing the b/f that he needs to play this game at all. Dealbreaker? Maybe...

clemenx

Banned
Ahhh I'm killing Deinos Sauros at level 89 but taking more than 5 minutes. I think it would be better to go to Tephra Cave but this is so rewarding lolol.
btw, I thought this would give me that Achievement that says "Ace a battle you had no chance in" but it didn't ;( I guess the lvl120 will... If i ever take it down.

I also killed the lvl96 unique for Riki's skill tree... Good to see that the level difference doesn't really matter anymore, if you have sufficient agility :p Dunban ftw.

Oxx

I almost managed to delete my save data as I put the controller away today.

I just saw 'Delete Yes/No' on the screen and had to very carefully check where my fingers were in relation to the A button.

I almost managed to delete my save data as I put the controller away today.

I just saw 'Delete Yes/No' on the screen and had to very carefully check where my fingers were in relation to the A button.

Ever since a tragic Dragon Quest-related incident as a kid, I'm obsessive about that stuff. On some level I kind of appreciate that Pokémon has three separate prompts before you're allowed to change a move. I'm also always confused when it isn't clear which is "Yes" and which is "No". Is it the one that's lit up, or is it the darkened one?

Oxx

My 150-hour Pokemon Silver save was deleted (albeit, not manually). The worst one I deleted myself was a 95% complete Banjo Kazooie save.

Top Bottom