• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

exhume

My 150-hour Pokemon Silver save was deleted (albeit, not manually).

Jesus, the same thing happened to me. Turned it on one day and the save was just gone. Fourteen-year old me was inconsolable! Maybe there was a faulty run of that cartridge, I've never had something like that happen since.

Oxx

I blamed the 'Transfer Pak' that allowed you to connect GB games to N64 games. Both Pokemon Silver and Mario Tennis GBC got wiped while connected to their respective N64 big brothers.

clemenx

Banned
My 150-hour Pokemon Silver save was deleted (albeit, not manually).

Ugh, same thing happened to me with my Gold version. I had like 3 pokemon missing for the Pokedex, in the days with no wifi it was a goddamn achievement ;-;. I actually didn't return to Pokemon until B&W after that haha. Seems like those versions were prone to deleting themselves :(

ajim

My 400+ hour Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSP save was lost when I dropped my PSP mid-save.

Worst day of my life.

Oxx

Ugh, same thing happened to me with my Gold version. I had like 3 pokemon missing for the Pokedex, in the days with no wifi it was a goddamn achievement ;-;. I actually didn't return to Pokemon until B&W after that haha. Seems like those versions were prone to deleting themselves :(

I was less close to completion (but I did already have Celebi), but I still took a similar break from the series after that. I bought Diamond, but I didn't put significant time into a Pokemon game again until Soul Silver.

I wouldn't have been devastated if I had deleted my Xenoblade save. I finished the game a while ago and my current save is only for the high-level grind.

Leeness

Crap, forgot his cheek fluff. Fixed (and modified the shading a bit too).
ibgr9niI0CyIwZ.png

Omg, amazing. Riki :')

F-yeah! Up to level 89-90 and I'm able to start carving up
Tephra Cave
. No more running away for me!

Have you started the quest line there yet? I thought it was actually pretty neat.

And one of the uniques there is just a total bastard, one of the most annoying of the entire game.

Oxx

Have you started the quest line there yet? I thought it was actually pretty neat.

And one of the uniques there is just a total bastard, one of the most annoying of the entire game.

I'm not sure about where I'm at. The only active quest I have for the area is to kill
Dazzling Tolosnia

Ultratech

Reminds me of some of the Uniques in the last dungeon.

"I think I'll Topple you!"
*Topples enemy*
Doesn't realize enemy has Topple Aura that inflicts Topple (or was it Daze? I forget.)
*Entire party is disabled...*

I remember its counterpart having a simliar Topple Aura that puts your Party to Sleep, which was a bit lulzy.
*Wakes up; Topples enemy again.*
*Gets put back to Sleep...*

Hobbun

Is the party AI relatively smart in this game? For example, if the character I am controlling is taking a lot of damage, will other party members actually heal me (if they have the appropriate spell/ability)? Or do I need to switch over, take control of them and do it myself?

And speaking of which, is there a quick way to switch over to one of the other characters in combat?

Tess3ract

Banned
Is the party AI relatively smart in this game? For example, if the character I am controlling is taking a lot of damage, will other party members actually heal me (if they have the appropriate spell/ability)? Or do I need to switch over, take control of them and do it myself?

And speaking of which, is there a quick way to switch over to one of the other characters in combat?

1. Yes
2. No

Hobbun

Well, since the answer is ‘No’ for question two, I guess I am glad the AI is relatively smart. Although I am a bit surprised it does not give you the option to switch out in combat.

Either way, it won’t affect me purchasing the game, already have fully paid for it.

Tess3ract

Banned
Well, since the answer is ‘No’ for question two, I guess I am glad the AI is relatively smart. Although I am a bit surprised it does not give you the option to switch out in combat.

Either way, it won’t affect me purchasing the game, already have fully paid for it.
To get into detail on the second one, you can, but not really. What you're asking, if you can choose to operate a different character mid combat, is a no. However in the beginning of the story you gain an ability that allows you under certain conditions to give a specific command to specific party members (Chain Attacks), or to basically go "hey shulk, use your shield spell!" or "hey shulk, I need a heal spell here!" or something along those lines iirc.

I've hit a wall for the first time against
what's her name and the telethia
. The main issue that I'm having is that if I play as Shulk, Dunban is a terrible tank and if I play as Dunban, Shulk uses the Monado at every opportunity eventually leading to not being able to
hit the telethia
. I swapped out Dunban for Reyn but then I found I wasn't doing nearly as much damage.

What do I do?

Also, is shield useless? I can't remember the last time it blocked anything.

Wichu

. The main issue that I'm having is that if I play as Shulk, Dunban is a terrible tank and if I play as Dunban, Shulk uses the Monado at every opportunity eventually leading to not being able to
hit the telethia
. I swapped out Dunban for Reyn but then I found I wasn't doing nearly as much damage.

What do I do?

The Shield art just reduces damage for a period of time; it doesn't fully block attacks.

I think I used Shulk for that battle. Are you using Sharla for healing?

EDIT: Never mind, was thinking of the wrong thing.

Tess3ract

Banned
hit the telethia

What do I do?

Shield protects against NAMED abilities from a boss.
the dodge one protects against everything else

Shulk should normally use the monado when he can, but the ai is kind of dumb at times.

Use dunban/shulk/melia and use melia directly. Dunban is a fine tank, jsut give him armor.

Zornica

Banned
hit the telethia

What do I do?

the shield can only block special arts (the ones with their name written in white). to prevant ANY other vision you are forced to get creativ. red is phyical damage, which can be avoided with a certain monado art, blue is ether, im not sure if it is avoidable, but you can cancel it with sleep, at least thats what I always did (you can cancel almost everything with "sleep"). to beat the
telethia
however, you will need to be patient or level up some more OR use melia(you!) + riki(optional)+ 7th/dunban(optional).
its weak agains ether, so kill it with magic ;)

I was using Dunban/Shulk/Sharla, btw. Keeping agro on Dunban with all the buffs active leads to some crazy backstab damage for Shulk (also Dunban is awesome). I'll try Melia out, I found a manual nearby and now I have the electricity art maxed!

Oh and, Dunban would make a fine Tank if he didn't keep using the art to double criticals (drops his aggro to 0). I'll probably have to remove that one and see how I go.

Tess3ract

Banned
I was using Dunban/Shulk/Sharla, btw. Keeping agro on Dunban with all the buffs active leads to some crazy backstab damage for Shulk (also Dunban is awesome). I'll try Melia out, I found a manual nearby and now I have the electricity art maxed!

Oh and, Dunban would make a fine Tank if he didn't keep using the art to double criticals (drops his aggro to 0). I'll probably have to remove that one and see how I go.

Yep that's one of the things you have to do, give him aggro abilities on his "hotbar"

And melia, cast agility first, then lightning, then the copy spell, then discharge then discharge, then lightning again, then discharge, then discharge, and repeat.

creid

Got a question about how far I am. I'm late in the game, just passed the part where (real spoiler)
Egil awakened the Mechonis
, and the next destination is
Mechonis Core
. I don't want to check the FAQ too closely for spoiler reasons, but do I have
2 more dungeons
until the end? If not how many?

Also, what level should I be to comfortably beat the last boss? I was 2-4 levels below the last bosses I fought, and it was a little more stressful than I would've liked.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got a question about how far I am. I'm late in the game, just passed the part where (real spoiler)
Egil awakened the Mechonis
, and the next destination is
Mechonis Core
. I don't want to check the FAQ too closely for spoiler reasons, but do I have
2 more dungeons
until the end? If not how many?

Also, what level should I be to comfortably beat the last boss? I was 2-4 levels below the last bosses I fought, and it was a little more stressful than I would've liked.

Yeah,
two real dungeon, and two that probably don't count because they are just really short paths. And roughly level 80 for the final boss, doable at 78 I think. Not sure about any lower than that.

clemenx

Banned
I think I'm done with this for a while :) Favorite game in a looooooong time.
Finished the main story in around 80 hours at lvl 78. I'm at level 96 in 115 hours. Did almost every quest remaining and got 5 starts at every area :) The only thing I'm missing is maxing affinity among everyone and the 4 super uniques but I really don't have the will to farm gems.
I'll be replaying this for sure at some point :D

I have all the characters now, and I'm in
the inside of Mekonis
. I just don't know which characters I should use, and it annoys me greatly that I have to have Shulk in my party in order to deal a lot of damage to mekons and Sharla because she's the only character with healing skills...
I used Melia for a while but it didn't felt her spam attacks were really THAT effective. As to 7th, I dunno, it feels like she's just another attacker among Dunban and Reyn...
What kind of formation did you guys use ?

Oxx

the inside of Mekonis
. I just don't know which characters I should use, and it annoys me greatly that I have to have Shulk in my party in order to deal a lot of damage to mekons and Sharla because she's the only character with healing skills...
I used Melia for a while but it didn't felt her spam attacks were really THAT effective. As to 7th, I dunno, it feels like she's just another attacker among Dunban and Reyn...

In that part of the game I think I was using
the three ladies, with Melia as the player character. I think there was a Lightning upgrade book in Eryth Sea that made Melia's ether attack more potent.

In that part of the game I think I was using
the three ladies, with Melia as the player character. I think there was a Lightning upgrade book in Eryth Sea that made Melia's ether attack more potent.

There are also crab things in the beach where you find Fiora, that drop high level books. I remember getting a few others by the Meteor something mechons

Zornica

Banned
the inside of Mekonis

I dont feel like repeating myself today... so I will just post this.
I'd add one thing: the most important attribute of all is agility, so get some of those gems.

Finally whooped their two asses handily. I didn't get the agility art until level 41, Tess3ract. I was 38 during that boss battle.

A question that I had about Melia; I've decided to use her as the party leader and noticed that sometimes when I get into encounters I get elemental burst after one discharge and it pretty much stays there throughout the course of the battle. What fills the bar up exactly?

A question that I had about Melia; I've decided to use her as the party leader and noticed that sometimes when I get into encounters I get elemental burst after one discharge and it pretty much stays there throughout the course of the battle. What fills the bar up exactly?

I think discharging summons is what fills her Talent Gauge, and if you don't fill it all the way then it carries over to the next battle. Given its power, I'm actually kind of surprised just how quickly it seems to fill, and the Burst tends to last for a lot longer than it should.

How do you start the quest line for
Tephra Cave
?

Have you cleared the
Mechonis core
? If so, you should be able to start it. Explore the new part of the area, you should find
a tomb with a woman standing near it. It's part of the complex, so if you explore it thoroughly you shouldn't miss it. Shura, I think her name was, though I could be wrong.

Finally whooped their two asses handily. I didn't get the agility art until level 41, Tess3ract. I was 38 during that boss battle.

Using the elementals, if it is not depleted in one battle it will get charged by just one attack in the next battle. If you stop using elements, get knocked or decreased will, it will go back to zero. And normally it is used completely if you use Mind Blast.

RawPower

Banned
Just a quick question. Does this game work better with an HDTV? I played my import copy on an SDTV and it was painfully hard to read the text.

ajim

Have you cleared the
Mechonis core
? If so, you should be able to start it. Explore the new part of the area, you should find
a tomb with a woman standing near it. It's part of the complex, so if you explore it thoroughly you shouldn't miss it. Shura, I think her name was, though I could be wrong.
Yeah, I beat the game already, on my 2nd playthough now attempting to 100% everything, so I'm slowly progressing through each area trying to do all the quests so I don't risk losing the times ones lol. But I'll have to keep that in mind! Thanks

So good. I haven't jumped right back into a game after beating it since I have no idea when to be honest, especially not a game this big and indepth. Can't believe just how great it is!

Play it on your computer and have it look hot!
How?

ajim

Holy shit thats sexy, but I can't be bothered setting it all up. Guess I'll just have to stick to how it is on the TV.

Tess3ract

Banned
There's really no "setting up" any more than one would play a PC game.

All it requires is a good computer or a cpu with a clock of more than 3GHz

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's really no "setting up" any more than one would play a PC game.

All it requires is a good computer or a cpu with a clock of more than 3GHz

Yeah, but you also need to mod your Wii if you haven't (probably already done), rip the game and move it to the PC, then you still have to set up the optimal settings to get it to run well.

And unless it runs better on newer versions of Dolphin, you need something quite a bit faster than 3GHz. Probably 3.5+ on a Sandy Bridge CPU, anything else you'll probably need to be 3.8+

Top Bottom