• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X "Direct" on Feb. 6 [info in OP]

Oh boy. Every video of 3ds gameplay looks like this. When you actually hold it in your hands it's going to look just like on the Wii or better. I also have it for Wii, and I've been looking to replay it. Can't wait to do so on my new 3ds, great way to wait for X. And the portability makes it better

This is wrong. There's no argument to be had. You're lying. No matter how much processing power the New 3DS has, this version of Xenoblade will never look better than the original. The low resolution 3DS screens do it a tremendous disservice, sadly.

This is the game of this gen hands down

image.php

But when you make hyperbolic statements like this, it's obvious that you have an agenda to promote. Not that I disagree with you. :p

jorgejjvr

This is wrong. There's no argument to be had. You're lying. No matter how much processing power the New 3DS has, this version of Xenoblade will never look better than the original. The low resolution 3DS screens do it a tremendous disservice, sadly.

image.php

But when you make hyperbolic statements like this, it's obvious that you have an agenda to promote.
The portability alone will be worth it for me. Also, even if it looks worse I'll probably hardly notice it and again the video is a disservice, it will look better on the actual system. And the original xenoblade is my favorite game of last gen if not of all times. And X is shaping up to be such as good. Can't wait

Diffense

It will look way better on the 3DS than what's suggested by the youtube trailer. 3DS games are always like that.

Watched the Direct. The more I see of this game, the more excitedly apprehensive I get. I love that the exploration is still in tact, along with awesome creatures to fight (and mechs!), but the characters just give me a bad vibe. Maybe its their somewhat lifeless expressions, or the player-created protagonist, but for me, one of the joys of the original was seeing the interplay between party members with realistically expressive body language and faces. Not seeing it so much here - the characters fall a little bit into "anime-ish Xenosaga" territory, which I was never fond of.

Not trying to be a downer - I really want to like this game when I finally get to play it. Xenoblade was my RPG GOAT, so I will definitely give the wait and see approach for when this finally lands.

Edit: Smile on my face that Nopons has made their triumphant return!

I think people are too fixated on the faces. Most of the time you'll be staring at their asses during exploration and combat anyways.

Just remember lyn is 13 when you're no doubt decking everyone out in swimwear just because you can like in the original.

Effect

It will look way better on the 3DS than what's suggested by the youtube trailer. 3DS games are always like that.

Normally I'd agree but I honestly don't think that will be case here. I don't see it. I would like for that to be true. This is can be solved easily though. We need input from someone that has had hands on time with the 3DS version at events and is able to compare what they've seen with the Wii version. I think GameXplain has had time with the 3DS game but haven't fully watched all their videos when they talk about it.

Great gifs! The game looks amazing. Really loving the open environments.

Where did you get the download the WMP version of the video?

There's pretty much a million websites and browser plugins you can use to download Youtube videos. Just google your browsers name + "add on download youtube OR video" or something like that, or if you don't want plugins just use a website.

A good way to understand the scale of the game. when they bring up the Primordial Wilderness, around 13:15, the bottom left area is where Treehouse Live was focused on. You can see the area you wake up, and the ocean to the right when Elma introduces you to Mira.

That whole section in Treehouse they explored until the West gate of NLA is the line that hugs near bottom of the area.

Yeah I think it'll be pretty big.

Normally I'd agree but I honestly don't think that will be case here. I don't see it. I would like for that to be true. This is can be solved easily though. We need input from someone that has had hands on time with the 3DS version at events and is able to compare what they've seen with the Wii version. I think GameXplain has had time with the 3DS game but haven't fully watched all their videos when they talk about it.

This. Majora's Mask 3D looks fantastic on a 3DS. This just looks... you can tell that it's a downgraded version of an older game. All of the textures look worse, and I believe the game runs at a lower framerate. They should have released an HD remaster instead.

Need to step in before too much gifs kill this page.

How to you guys think that Tatsu is in the party? Apparently he can't fight or drive dolls.

random25

This. Majora's Mask 3D looks fantastic on a 3DS. This just looks... you can tell that it's a downgraded version of an older game. All of the textures look worse, and I believe the game runs at a lower framerate. They should have released an HD remaster instead.

Frame rate is just the same as the Wii version from what I saw from the GameXplain off-screen videos of the demo. And the game also looks the same as the Wii version graphics-wise, just that it's on a lower resolution (but on a lower screen of course) and with a bit more obtrusive battle UI due to again the smaller screen.

Need to step in before too much gifs kill this page.

How to you guys think that Tatsu is in the party? Apparently he can't fight or drive dolls.

Can't he fight? He would be useless if so lol. Maybe he'll turn like Chu Chu was when in "Doll" mode.

Diffense

An HD remake would definitely have been a better fit for a game of Xenoblade's ambition and it would have gone well with X. I'm just a bit more optimistic about the extent of the downgrade. I don't think it'll be as gross as it seems but we'll see.

So... The game is pretty much done since you can download it right now, just Nintendo holding this game back 3 months -_-

That's how everything ever works. Films are done months before they come out. Games are. Books are. Comics are. Music is. They can't just go "It's done, here it is!" They need to strategically plan a release date and run a marketing campaign, otherwise the game won't sell and you won't get Xenoblade 3.

Conezays

Looks pretty great, besides the vocal tracks played in the trailer, IMO. Do we know if they're in the game? Kind of missing the first game's soundtrack...

Effect

GameXplain have a off screen video of the game running on the 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovmj-oltkQQ

Still looking to see if they comment on it in another video.

Wow the game looks great! The enviroment AND the characters. Some people here just jump the train and don't even have their own opininon when they say that they a) don't like the character design and b) hate sawano...

boxter432

Overall impressive but a few things annoy me:

- Earth is going to be destroyed and arcs are build to rescue a lucky few.
The precious space is then filled up by parks, malls,pizza places and luxury homes with pools. What? Seriously. What?

- The military complex and his future part as an evil corporation are so anime cliché you can already see it from a mile away

- that annoying furball

- those faces. Oh god those faces. They call the robots dolls but nothing looks more like a doll than those plastic characters with that awful lipsync.

- textures in the city look bad. Why include a ridiculous café in a space arc and then not even make it beautiful?
did..did you play xenoblade?
as far as evil corp point, most likely it will twist and turn in a billion ways
furballs were a big part of XC
faces were much worse in XC

Seik

Banned
So I just took some time during my lunch break to watch the whole thing.

I'm soooo hype for this, the scale and variety of environments is unbelievable, WOW!

Z3M0G

Honestly, after they kinds previewed all the regions in the video, the world isn't feeling that large anymore...

And even if the 5? regions are completely massive, I hope there is a lot of location variety throughout each one... and they don't just look the same all the time as you explore them.

Also, I get the sense that this will be fetch quest insanity... if done well (ala DA:I, it'll be ok. If not, it could be a real pain.)

I assume the first Xenoblade was fetch quest heavy too?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Seems like the difference between full and limited RGB on Wii U
Does that mean there's a technical limitation preventing the game from looking like that on Wii U?

Wait do people think the left side is better? I have trouble with colors so the one on the right everything washes together.
Left is the original, right is with colors at maximum saturation (Windows Media Player setting). Personally I think the right looks better enough of the time to make it worth it, but it would be just as easy (or just as difficult) to have a level of saturation that isn't as high, but still higher than the original.

Hopefully the side quests aren't as terrible as they were in Xenoblade.

Based on what they showed in the video today with those "simple quests", I think they will be. :p Maybe the quests from the named NPCs will be a bit more involved, but I'm still expecting them to be like Xenoblade quests.

Honestly, after they kinds previewed all the regions in the video, the world isn't feeling that large anymore...

And even if the 5? regions are completely massive, I hope there is a lot of location variety throughout each one... and they don't just look the same all the time as you explore them.

Also, I get the sense that this will be fetch quest insanity... if done well (ala DA:I, it'll be ok. If not, it could be a real pain.)

I assume the first Xenoblade was fetch quest heavy too?

They do, pay attention in the video, I am not worried about that, also caves.

I like the colors the way they are.

Don't get me wrong, I love vibrant bright colors but every game on the system has them.

It's nice to see a more gritty and "realistic" looking game for a change of pace.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Have they talked much about cutscenes and story?

What I loved about Xenoblade was the characters and story more than anything. Shulk was a fantastic main character and the whole adventure was incredible. I usually tell people that playing Xenoblade was like getting to watch the original Star Wars trilogy again for the first time.

But everything I've seen about X is the world and going on missions and customizable (silent?) protagonist. That makes me mildly nervous because I think silent protagonists make for much weaker narrative and the side quests and such in Xenoblade were *terrible.* The side quests were literally a poison contained within the game where doing them sapped your will to continue playing.

Deku Tree

Hopefully the side quests aren't as terrible as they were in Xenoblade.

Based on what they showed in the video today with those "simple quests", I think they will be. :p Maybe the quests from the named NPCs will be a bit more involved, but I'm still expecting them to be like Xenoblade quests.

Hopefully they give you the good stuff early from the side quests instead of forcing you to do every single booring tedious side quest in the game before finally getting the good stuff at the very end after 99% of the player base is already burnt out on the game and the side quests.

Verger

Banned
Finally watched the direct, here are my thoughts.

PROS:

• Huge and uniquely creative world that looks filled with so many things to explore.
  • Flora and Fauna design is seriously stunning.
  • Environment art in general looks like the best on the Wii U technically, and aesthetically some of the best in current gaming
  • Quest system looks very deep and lots of things to do
  • Exploration and Discovery are emphasized heavily and seems there is some Lore and Codex's to fill in which is great.
  • Mechs look fun to ride
  • Non-human/Alien character designs look cool

CONS:

• I am not a fan of Silent Protagonists and worry how this one will be handled, especially when the companions so far aren't that appealing (see below)
  • Human character designs are mostly atrocious, especially the absurdly anime-faces (if there was ever a scale of "anime-ish", these are on the extreme end of that spectrum).
  • The named NPC's and Companions so far are not coming off well. Elma is robotic with the personality of mud, Lyn is abhorrent and shouldn't even exist and my god her voice. Tatsu also has a godawful annoying voice. Seems like a big step down so far from the great Dunban, Reyn and Melia of Xenoblade.
  • As stated, the voices are atrocious. I can only hope that somehow the Localization teams do a good job. But I'll miss the British VA's from Xenoblade :(
  • While it is a huge world, one has to of course be wary of the "filler" that may be in it. Xenoblade had it in spades, and hopefully they'll streamline the process of sidequests.
  • They've been shying away from showing the Combat and one has to wonder why.
  • Will Open-World experience detract from the main Narrative and Story?
  • The music is so divisive which seems to be Sawano's specialty. His non-vocal pieces sound great. But his vocal arrangements are just bad. I personally cannot stand JPOP-to-Engrish translations and vocals because if you actually listen to the lyrics they are laughably bad. I definitely am worried this OST will not be anywhere near as good as the original Xenoblade.

jb1234

It certainly looks pretty enough and plays a lot like Xenoblade. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. The music heard so far has stunk (I especially hate the vocals) but I can push through it.

Top Bottom