• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

Shirokun

All of the talk over the new Monolithsoft project has got me in the mood to talk Xenoblade.

I've put another 20 or so hours in from where I last was and have spent the last 2 hours or so wandering around
Makna Forest
. I think what I'm most impressed with at this point is how Monolithsoft has managed to merge the linearity inherent in most JRPGs with such a great sense of exploration. The areas are small enough to keep you focused(relatively), but large enough that exploring every nook of an area still seems rewarding, especially when you stumble on upon an area that has been sitting unnoticed for like 15 hours. :lol

The sense of progression in this game is also fantastic and horrible at the same time. On one hand, since you have a sense of what the world looks like(you pretty much know you're on a giant from the moment you start), progression in the game really feels like an adventure. You get a great sense of how far you've traveled from point A(despite the fact that you can warp back to anywhere you've been at a moment's notice), and every major new area seems to awe in it's own way, seeming more spectacular and foreign than the last.
My jaw dropped when Zatoll went from bland, grayish swamp to twilight dreamland in an instant

On the other hand, there are too many damn quests. I probably put around 15 hours into the third area just killing 5 of random monster x, collecting 3 of material y, or retrieving someone's stolen clothes. Yet the game system seems tied into doing a majority of these quests if you want to get the most out of the game. For one thing, if you weren't fighting monsters while taking the time to complete quests, you would almost certainly be doing it a great deal to level up, as the levels of later enemies tend to spike quite a bit. Essentially, not doing the quests is even more monotonous than doing them. Also, doing the quests is the best way to get money, xp, and improve your characters' "bonding" level, of which the higher levels between characters lead to both improved stats in battle, and give you the ability to activate scenes between characters that are scattered throughout the game(imagine if every skit in a Tales game were condition based). It's not horrible or game breaking by any means, and some quests can be cool, but I wish it was balanced better. When I have to pause my main quest, because some guy needs ingredients for a cake, and threatens me with a timer, it gets a little irritating.

The story is interesting enough, although I think I've figured out a significant plot twist already. I'm interested to see how things progress, anyway. It's really the characters, however, which are fascinating. They really seem to break away from the stereotypes which are so common in JRPG characters. I won't touch anymore on this, as I think it's already been mentioned a million times.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing for me, however, is the music. It's by no means bad, and some tracks are very good, but it hasn't reached the level of Monolithsoft's previous works. Maybe I'll change my mind latter on.

Anyway, just my two cents. I'll check in again once I beat the game.
Am I even 50% done?
:lol

Here's hoping Nintendo announces something soon, as this really is a spectacular game. I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe they don't want anything to show up Skyward Sword.

Bebpo

Banned
You've still got a waaaays to go ;)

The quest problem is a problem I have with a lot of rpgs in general these days. Ni no kuni right now is suffering from the same thing. You go to a new town and instead of progressing the plot you have a dozen sidequests that kill the pacing. Plus in Ni no kuni's case, the sidequests are often kind of tedious and bad because L5 is not good at them. So my solution in most of these games is "unless the sidequests are fun and interesting, skip them all and just do the main plot".

I found the sidequests in Xenoblade fun because they often made to explore the world more for rare monsters and stuff. A lot of them were grindy MMO quests though. They definitely could've cut about half of them out.

I though End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate had really good/fun sidequests with great rewards and that made me want to do all them before finishing the main quest each chapter.

Shirokun said:
All of the talk over the new Monolithsoft project has got me in the mood to talk Xenoblade.

I've put another 20 or so hours in from where I last was and have spent the last 2 hours or so wandering around
Makna Forest
. I think what I'm most impressed with at this point is how Monolithsoft has managed to merge the linearity inherent in most JRPGs with such a great sense of exploration. The areas are small enough to keep you focused(relatively), but large enough that exploring every nook of an area still seems rewarding, especially when you stumble on upon an area that has been sitting unnoticed for like 15 hours. :lol

I sort of agree, but I still feel like they could've done something more to reward players by putting treasure chests in these areas; the more hidden/obscure area the better the treasure. It's cool finding all these places but it's a little hmmm when you discover them and run around and there's nothing there besides some enemies. I really enjoyed filling out all the maps but I really wanted some treasures!

Shirokun

Bebpo said:
You've still got a waaaays to go ;)

I sort of agree, but I still feel like they could've done something more to reward players by putting treasure chests in these areas; the more hidden/obscure area the better the treasure. It's cool finding all these places but it's a little hmmm when you discover them and run around and there's nothing there besides some enemies. I really enjoyed filling out all the maps but I really wanted some treasures!

No, I completely agree. I already have a whole list of things that need to be improved in this game. I just think what's been done here is a step in the right direction for JRPGs.

Lorr

I don't come to the gaming side often, but when I do, I look for this thread in hope of good news.

Nothing again :(

madara

Lorr said:
I don't come to the gaming side often, but when I do, I look for this thread in hope of good news.

Nothing again :(

Don't expect anything in here, it will definitely have its own thread immediately and thousands jumping in sheer joy if it happens.

Bebpo said:

I would settle for there having been guaranteed drops of the random field items, to help you get the rare ones to complete your collection and
rebuild Colony 6
But some of them are their own reward, just getting views of the landscapes. I really want to try playing this on Dolphin to see if there are any higher-rez textures to be had, because that's really the only glaring weakpoint IMO. Sure some quests can be a drag, especially the ones where you have to go back to the person (which is happening more and more), but they're an excuse to go out and explore the world, which is my favorite thing to do.

I've logged about 50 hours at this point and
I've just fallen down to Kishin's severed arm. I really felt the scope and scale of Xenoblade's world when I first went to the sword/valley and the glowing red silhouette of Kishin appeared to show my location instead of the blue Kyoshin.
It's like, DAMN, there's still this much more to see?

The_Technomancer said:
Lets not get this thread locked guys, come on. We all want the game, when there's news then there will be news.

Yes. In the meantime those of us that have the game would like to discuss the things we like and dislike about it as well as any interesting things we notice.

Like how all the one-time guest characters have "Resist dying in battle VI (100%)" gems embedded in their weapons :lol

Shirokun

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Like how all the one-time guest characters have "Resist dying in battle VI (100%)" gems embedded in their weapons :lol

Really? I would have never noticed. :lol

Also,
Riki is awesome! I half expected a useless, ChuChu-like character. Thanks for not fucking things up, MonolithSft

Macstorm

I don't believe this, but Amazon just sent me this...

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on XXXX:

"Monado: Beginning of the World"
Estimated arrival date: February 03 2011 - February 17 2011

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amsterdam/NYC event.

Xenoblade localisation announced.

Release a few weeks later.

Last Story to follow shortly after.

BELIEVE

RPGCrazied

I wish they would say either way, quit beating around the fucking bush. Yes or No? All this rumor stuff is just killing the hype for me.

Macstorm

Yeah, I don't believe the date at all, especially since they don't back it up on the site. It was just interesting, because it was listing as "We'll update once we have more info" or whatever and now it's saying something new. While I don't expect it in Feb, at least it might mean that Nintendo's talking to Amazon about this... time will tell.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Skilletor said:
Come out on February 15th, so I can spend 150 bucks on games that day. Gladly!
If it came out on that date it would be one hell of a birthday present. (for me).:lol anyway not getting to excited about it until it's confirmed for real. At least it's a small glimmer of hope.

If Xenoblade came out at a soon date like February...I'd jizz my pants. Seriously, I hope we don't have to wait until like E3 or something to hear of a date for late 2011.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hope it hits the US soon. More people need to know how awesome the game is.

Macstorm said:
I don't believe this, but Amazon just sent me this...

Me too. I was like wtf!

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on January 19 2010 (Order#XXXXXXXXXX):

"Monado: Beginning of the World"
Estimated arrival date: February 07 2011 - February 18 2011

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

Top Bottom