• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED : "technical difficulties" led to the cancellation of Rune Factory 4 EU release

L~A

On XSEED's facebook page, a fan asked whether a Rune Factory 4 release in Europe was really impossible, and here's their answer :

Wish it was that easy as obviously everyone involved in the project would love to see it released in Europe, but it's very difficult from a technical aspect since the people closest to the code are all gone (the Forbidden Magna team does have people from Neverland, yes, but for example the main programmer for RF4 is not one of them).

NB: XSEED is the US publisher, and they're actually a subsidiary of Marvelous AQL.

So guess that confirms what many people said when the cancellation as announced. I'm honestly surprised you need people really familiar with the code if you want to release it in another region.

Region-lock my life and lock if old.

Doczu

It's a shame the game never came out in Europe, but it'll hurt me more if SMT4 doesn't come out...

Rich!

We don't speak German, French, Italian or Spanish here in the UK, we speak English.

But obviously releasing the US version here, even as a digital title, is out of the question because they can't translate it for the rest of sodding Europe. Right.

Fucking bullshit.

Tenki

We don't speak German, French, Italian or Spanish here in the UK, we speak English.

But obviously releasing the US version here, even as a digital title, is out of the question because they can't translate it for the rest of sodding Europe. Right.

Fucking bullshit.
It was never going to be translated. The problem is not the language.

L~A

Fucking bullshit.

This got nothing to do with translation. Game was never going to be translated in FIGS for the EU release.

Edit : damn ninja'ed :p

teeny

What was the reason for the cancellation, in the end, if translation wasn't an issue? Every time I am reminded of it I feel sad :(

L~A

And they can't find people to do it ?

It's not like they're remaking the game, come on...

Yeah, I'm really surprised they can't just ask some of the developers now at Marvelous AQL. I have no idea what you need to change in the game code when releasing in another region, but I find it surprising it'd be so complicated. Wish there was someone knowledgeable (ie: that has localised games in the past) to tell us more about that.

My guess is, Marvelous AQL could've done, but they didn't really to bother.

What was the reason for the cancellation, in the end, if translation wasn't an issue? Every time I am reminded of it I feel sad :(

It says so in the message : technical difficulties, because there was no one familiar enough with the game code. Apparently, you got to change some stuff in the game code when releasing a game in another region (thanks region-lock!), and Marvelous AQL couldn't find anyone to do that since Neverland went bankrupt.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nice to have confirmation, would've been better to have the game.

fuck you region lock

Region locking is always bad.
Can't publishers see that ?

And region locking has nothing to do with this. Nintendo isn't the reason that Europe isn't getting this game, they're only the reason you can import it. There should've been no reason to import this in the first place, if Wonderland hadn't gone bankrupt this wouldn't be an issue. Blame them or Marvelous.

Fucking bullshit.

In this thread, ignorant Brits talk about things they know nothing about.

Cryo

Neo Member
Nice to have confirmation, would've been better to have the game.

And region locking has nothing to do with this. Nintendo isn't the reason that Europe isn't getting this game, they're only the reason you can import it. There should've been no reason to import this in the first place, if Wonderland hadn't gone bankrupt this wouldn't be an issue. Blame them or Marvelous.

Region locking has everything to do with it...
At least we would have been able to import it without having to buy another 3DS handheld.

Yep. console region locking in this day and age is a total crock of shit. I'm still waiting to find out when or if I'll ever get to play SMT4 ffs.

There are precisely zero good reasons for the 3DS to be region locked, so Nintendo deserve plenty of blame for people not having back up options available to them when shit like this occurs.

ZeroX03

Banned
Region locking has everything to do with it...
At least we would have been able to import it without having to buy another 3DS handheld.

There are precisely zero good reasons for the 3DS to be region locked, so Nintendo deserve plenty of blame for people not having back up options available to them when shit like this occurs.

I'm not saying region locking is good, I'm saying it's unfair to come into this thread and shit on Nintendo when it's not their fucking fault that Europe isn't getting the game. You should never have had to import this game in the first place, blame the people who couldn't release the game. Their fuckup affects far more people anyway, importers are a minority. If your first response in this thread is "fuck you region locking Nintendo", you need to be refocusing your anger and saying "fuck you Neverland and MarvelousAQL". They're the reason that people in Europe are missing out on the game. Just because a small number of devoted could have imported doesn't change that the fact the majority are missing out.

vareon

I think XSEED's Hatsu clarified this on GAF a few months ago. I remember there was a reasonable...reason.

Edit: Or above.

coughlanio

Sounds like all the display text was hard-coded in the game? Poor programming practice. I'm not sure how things work on 3DS, but surely you can store all the display text in external files that can easily be updated.

Also, why not fart out the US version in Europe, and release as is? Just release it in the UK & Ireland.

Fucking bullshit.

A lot of niche games aren´t even translated for us.

DanganRonpa, Persona 4 Golden, Harvest Moon a new beginning, Senran Kagura Burst are 100% in english .

I don´t mind, but lets not act like the need for the full German/French/Italian/Spanish translation somehow made the release impossible.

Edit: As clarified by the post above.

Coxy

who could have ever forseen that a company would ever go bankrupt ever, thanks nintendo for the many many huge advantages region locking brings us

Koppai

I think you Euro's should probably buy an NA 3DS if you want niche games. Although looks like Conception II is coming your way, although digital.

I'm jelly that y'all have PL x PW already...

Datschge

XSEED's answer said:
(the Forbidden Magna team does have people from Neverland, yes, but for example the main programmer for RF4 is not one of them)

Well shit, their loss if they actually lost Shinichi Manabe. After all he was only the one director, one of three game scenario writers, sole level and battle system designer, as well as main and battle programmer for RF4...

Paracelsus

Well shit, their loss if they actually lost Shinichi Manabe. After all he was only the one director, one of three game scenario writers, sole level and battle system designer, as well as main and battle programmer for RF4...

So basically RF is no more?

Top Bottom