• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Will I enjoy the combat in this one if I really liked Sleeping Dogs? I don't want a button smasher, it doesn't have to be overly complicated, but I'm not looking for incredibly simple.

Could some one Yakuza my avatar up please? It would be appreciated.
ppnotA5fj.png

Will I enjoy the combat in this one if I really liked Sleeping Dogs? I don't want a button smasher, it doesn't have to be overly complicated, but I'm not looking for incredibly simple.
Combat isn't close to DMC/Bayo stuff, but it has a nice depth to it. I recommend watching this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_1icBCuIc

SolidSmiech

Neo Member
Another one for the Yakuza avatar treatment, please. I wanna feel the heat!

And I must say that it's wonderful seeing so much excitement for the Yakuza series! I've got a really good feeling about Yakuza 0's performance!

Totally new to the series. 0 arriving for my birthday in a few days.

Noob tips?

P.S. Reviews are very very positive. Since it's a pretty obscure Japanese game, an average of 85 is more like 90 correcting for unintentional western bias.

Yeah! Managed to scrounge up enough money to get both this and Resident Evil 7 tomorrow.

Can someone please "Yakuza supporter" my avatar so I can show my colours?

Another one for the Yakuza avatar treatment, please. I wanna feel the heat!

And I must say that it's wonderful seeing so much excitement for the Yakuza series! I've got a really good feeling about Yakuza 0's performance!
Had to make a little adjustment so the text would be readable on the red background.
2xDrZQmA3.png

Jimrpg

In fairness to Amazon, I ordered the copies at different times. One on the 11th and one on the 19th. Still don't see why the latter copy is lazing around though!

I don't mind them shipping games with One Day Shipping (which they do end up seeming to do for me pretty regularly), it just heightens my chance of not getting it on release day if there's a snag and that's annoyingggg.

Sounds like they sold out.

Totally new to the series. 0 arriving for my birthday in a few days.

Noob tips?

P.S. Reviews are very very positive. Since it's a pretty obscure Japanese game, an average of 85 is more like 90 correcting for unintentional western bias.

Noob tips are - the pacing in Yakuza games in the past can start slow, so don't worry if you're wondering at the beginning if you're limited in doing only things the game asks you. The game will open up soon enough and then you can explore and do different things before you ultimately want to push the main story forward.

The combat is different to Sleeping Dogs even though they are both brawlers. In Sleeping Dogs a lot of the combat is based on reversals. In Yakuza its more about side stepping and dodging (that's how I play at least). Both have awesome finishers (heat moves in Yakuza). There's way more combos and moves in Yakuza to try out, you'll need to unlock them though. And there are three move sets for both Kazuma and Majima in Yakuza 0 and they handle differently.

In the past, many of the street random battles are relatively the same. But in mission, you do get tested with a variety of bad guys, some with different weapons, movesets, larger enemies and that sort of thing.

danowat

Banned
The combat is different to Sleeping Dogs even though they are both brawlers. In Sleeping Dogs a lot of the combat is based on reversals. In Yakuza its more about side stepping and dodging (that's how I play at least).

Shame the dodging and sidesteeping isn't a touch more reactive, it feels quite slow and the window for dodging is very, very small, plus you can't dodge break an enemies attack string once it's started, so it can feel a little cumbersome.

JJShadow

I'm having a real blast with the game, seriously, so much fun. Spent the last 3 hours just running around Kamurocho doing sidequests and minigames

I really love how detailed the sidequests are, lots of context and dialogues, and most of them end up with a moral lesson lol They also teach you a lot about Japanese culture in the 80s-90s, and I was shocked about one specific quest about this
burusera thing where girls sell their used school uniforms or used underwear to adult people. Is this still a thing in Japan or was it abolished in some way?

PD: Beast combat style is so brutal, always the way to go

Jimrpg

Shame the dodging and sidesteeping isn't a touch more reactive, it feels quite slow and the window for dodging is very, very small, plus you can't dodge break an enemies attack string once it's started, so it can feel a little cumbersome.

Yes the Yakuza games so far, I feel the combat COULD be better (after all they've had enough goes at it), but its still a bit clunky after all this time. It is especially noticeable during some hardcore boss fights where the boss has better (read: invincible frames) moves than you. I've learned to live with it though.

The combat looks to be retooled for Yakuza 6 and looks very smooth from what i've seen in videos, so hopefully its much better. Here's a video - Not the best video - maybe you can find something better.

danowat

Banned
I really love how detailed the sidequests are, lots of context and dialogues, and most of them end up with a moral lesson lol They also teach you a lot about Japanese culture in the 80s-90s, and I was shocked about one specific quest about this
burusera thing where girls sell their used school uniforms or used underwear to adult people. Is this still a thing in Japan or was it abolished in some way?

I always thought it was more of an urban myth.

But yeah, everything is more detailed in terms of story telling, dare I say some of it is bordering on a visual novel...........if anyone is going into the game expected GTA : Tokyo, they are going to be seriously shocked!

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Pre ordered in december and it still says it hasnt shipped, even though i have prime

I just want my yakuza 😂 Although my blu ray of band of brothers comes so ill watch that today to keep myself occupied

MaxiLive

My copy was fortunately delivered on Saturday.

I've put about 3-4 hours into it over the weekend and it feels fantastic and the side missions have been even more bonkers than they usually are so far. The Story started off strong but has slowed down a lot over the past hour so that has been somewhat so-so. I'm still in the setting the premise phase though so not much is happening.

Combat feels pretty good, I'm still getting used to beating opponents without mashing square, square, square, triangle or using heat events :p Blocking and counters are tricky! The graphics and performance have been pretty good so far about from the pretty rough LOD/pop-in which the games have always suffered with but it seems pretty bad in Yakuza 0 at times.

I can't wait to play more but I feel so overwhelmed by the game in how much there is to do and how deep each side mission and mini game can be.

danowat

Banned
Combat feels pretty good, I'm still getting used to beating opponents without mashing square, square, square, triangle or using heat events :p Blocking and counters are tricky!

I'm still quite early in, only just learnt beast mode, but I am guessing the combat gets deeper the further along you are in the game?, so far I also just use Sq, Sq, Sq, Sq, Tr, and a heat move when available.

Backflip

Quick question: the Trophies I've unlocked so far in Yakuza 0 don't appear on my Trophy list. Am I this only one this has happened to?

MaxiLive

I'm still quite early in, only just learnt beast mode, but I am guessing the combat gets deeper the further along you are in the game?, so far I also just use Sq, Sq, Sq, Sq, Tr, and a heat move when available.

I think for bosses you need to plan your moves a little more carefully but I've always sucked at fighting in games and with Yakuza I struggle to read tells in animations and such so I tend to brute force my way through situations and drink a lot of health drinks :p

I've unlocked 2 different stances but I tend not to switch between them during fights all that much but I've recently expanded some of my counter moves which are pretty good but hard to pull off for me. Still smashing peoples faces into walls is still pretty satisfying even if it is a one button press.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Put about 25 hours into this over 2 days so far and it's absolutely brilliant. I would definitely place this so far after 2 as my favourite Yakuza game though combat wise it's better. Hell it'll be in with a good shout as my favourite game this year and I know it's only January. I do love the combat style switching, it's fantastic. My only complaint is that it's not instant, meaning the character does a very quick pose when changing to a different style/stance and there's a very short delay (like 1-2 secs). Part of me was hoping it would be instant leading to some awesome combos. However I realise this isn't DMC so it's not even that huge a complaint. For a brawler RPG it's pretty fucking awesome still :p

Story is pretty great and straight forward so far without being too convoluted. Nice mix of characters in general. One of my favourites being Riki Takeuchi from the DOA films (and plenty of other japanese films of course) Substories continue to be hilarious in the Yakuza series. I don't know the number of times I've actually laughed at loud at the silliness of it all. I won't go into too much detail, these substories are always fun to discover on your own.

Basically if you're already a Yakuza fan it's brilliant, it's you're playing a Yakuza game for the first time it's brilliant :p

Guys I have spent all day yesterday managing a cabaret club. I have a problem.

I spent at least 30mins alone deciding what would be the best clothes for one of the hostess' to wear. Strapless or classic dress. It's a dilemma.

aravuus

I assume it will be up in the PS Store update tomorrow for the Nordics I went to preorder it this weekend but couldnt

Oh god, I just realized it might not actually release on midnight or somewhere around that time. I was planning on leaving my PS4 to download it for the work day and come home to a hopefully completely installed Yakuza 0.

Sony, you cocks. Shoulda just let me pre-order the game.

Oh god, I just realized it might not actually release on midnight or somewhere around that time. I was planning on leaving my PS4 to download it for the work day and come home to a hopefully completely installed Yakuza 0.

Sony, you cocks. Shoulda just let me pre-order the game.

yeah luckily I have 500/500 internet so it wont take long. If Sony didn't bottleneck the download speeds I would pony up the extra Kronor for gigabit up and down

IS the plat trophy for this hard? I don't care if its time consuming, just wanna know if its hard.

Quoting Shadowman16 from the Yakuza Community thread:

As for platinuming 0, its a bit of a grind in places, to give you an idea:

You need to 100% the completion list of the game, which requires you to clear all side missions, mini games, hit specific goals in both Majima's and Kiryu's Another Drama segments and other misc. tasks. This will probably take most people 100+ hours, most goals are fairly attainable but some just take a bit of time. Stuff like Mah Jong require you get certain hands in order to complete goals, which may be tricky for people. I think 0 also got rid of cheat items (need someone to confirm that) so that makes some gambling games harder/longer to clear.

You need to completely level up both characters, and this takes a lot of money. Basically you want to really hammer Kiryu's money island side content as much as you can plus abuse a certain "cheat" with the big dudes that wander the map to earn a ton of money quickly (basically it involves unlocking certain stats for Kiryu in the CP Shrine where you get tons of extra money from winning fights, pulling off heat moves etc. then losing to the dudes that steal money from you a few times in a row, then challenging them again and using lots of heat moves when defeating them. You'll get a ton of cash which can then be used for levelling up and money island. Oh, and then you can transfer money to Majima to help him to, as you can't use the same exploit for him.

Now for the one darn trophy that makes a platinum not worth doing for anyone that isn't mad. Cat Fighting, 10 tournament wins.
Cat Fighting is a mini game that requires you to pick a girl, bet money on her, then select from "Rock, Paper or Scissors" as fights go on in order to defeat the AI.
Problem 1 - The AI quite frankly cheats, or at least it feels like it, feels like it reads your inputs.
Problem 2 - You have to win 3 battles in a row to win 1 tournament, and its all down to luck. So good luck with that.
Problem 3 - You have to mash the buttons insanely hard to try and win struggles against the AI (again, these feel rigged) so you could be winning, then in one fell swoop see your lead disappear...

No word of a lie, I gave up trying to do any kind of strategy after a while and just had the PS4 pad in one hand, and my iPad in the other as I read Gaf and hammered the circle button, randomly picking attacks and I ended up with a decent win rate. So my advice is unless you really love the game, don't go after this trophy, its just not worth it. It makes grinding the arena in 5 feel like time well spent in comparison!

pots555

Could someone please put the Yakuza supporter on my avatar? Many thanks. I have the pleasure to own all of the games. 0 is on it's way!!!

ViciousDS

Banned
what policy is that?

Release date delivery

You select 2-day shipping at checkout as a prime member and it's guaranteed to be there on release date. If it doesn't get there on release date your prime gets extended by 1 month.

If your not a prime member and you do this, your shipping fees get reimbursed.

I've had my prime extended 9 months in the last 12, berseria looks like it's going to make that 10 months

Top Bottom