• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Awwww, yiss! Base.com notified me it's been dispatched and after a weekend with Nioh getting my ass kicked i'm looking forward to being the one dishing out the hurt for once :)

Busy week ahead with Yakuza 0 and the Moogle/Chocobo Carnival in FFXV!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Release date delivery

You select 2-day shipping at checkout as a prime member and it's guaranteed to be there on release date. If it doesn't get there on release date your prime gets extended by 1 month.

If your not a prime member and you do this, your shipping fees get reimbursed.

I've had my prime extended 9 months in the last 12, berseria looks like it's going to make that 10 months
that's a slick deal, but I've had prime for years and i never get stuff on release unless i pick 1 day shipping. if the last 9 games you ordered were late it doesn't seem like they're honoring this at all

I need to create a new avatar so the Yakuza tag will look tidy when i ask someone to tag me up. If required i'll post pictures of my Yakuza 1, 2 & 3 physical releases even though i didn't own a PS3 :D

I've just realised, with this release i'll have 0, 1, 2, 3 as physical, nice :)

Peroroncino

Got the text earlier this morning that my copy is waiting for me at the store, this is more or less what happened from that point:

wMmhIJw.gif

Hasney

Why are they sending this out to die on the same day as RE7??

Amazon UK, Simply Games and The Game Collection have sold out and for a niche Japanese game, that's rare. It may be low stock, but it's certainly exceeding the expectations they had over here so far.

PaulLFC

Amazon UK, Simply Games and The Game Collection have sold out and for a niche Japanese game, that's rare. It may be low stock, but it's certainly exceeding the expectations they had over here so far.
This is really good to hear. As you said maybe stock is low, but sold out is sold out.

Even with low stock, presumably they expected the number to be enough for demand, and the fact that it isn't at some retailers, including probably the biggest online games retailer (not sure if Game sell more online than Amazon) can only be a good thing.

On a side note, does anyone know what the best launch a Yakuza game has had in the UK is, in terms of first week sales or chart position?

My rationale.

Releasing a product is not just about finding an empty sales week.

It’s about finding the right sales slot that has:
-the best pre-release day opportunity for marketing coverage
-the best release week
-the best post-release avoid big-scale competition week

It’s hard to describe it without examples and situation, but I think it makes more example with different situations.

Imagine if Yakuza 0 was released this week.

That means that Atlus, SEGA, gaming sites, influencers, etc only have 7-9 working days to preview, stream, review and setup the pre-launch marketing cycle for Yakuza 0. Even less for those who don’t immediately come out of holiday break after 1st Jan.

Ideally, you give some space to let marketing like this breathe. One week for an extensive preview, not everyone will go live at the same time. Then reviews drop next week. Then product releases a few days after that.

The best timing for the above marketing cycle of preview/review/release in the month of launch is about 2-3 weeks, and thus the best January window is around 20th or 24th of the month.

To an extent, the same logic is applicable for Gravity Rush 2. But instead of a extended 2-3 week preview/review cycle, they scrapped off a few days by just letting reviews for this game drop 10 days in advance. And while I definitely questioned this strategy at first, in hindsight it makes more sense because Gravity Rush 2 is a lower priority game for many sites, and thus some sites haven’t released a review or haven’t played enough so more reviews/impressions will drop over the next week or so.

But the Yakuza cycle is the more realistic approach for most. Finding the right slot that balanced all the marketing components is an essential as finding an empty one. An empty one that grants you lower marketing coverage may not be worth it compared to a more competitive slot that gives you maximised coverage.

As for why it doesn’t instead go for February or March. Those months are worse.

tldr; given how long this game is, it effectively kind of needed a 3 week preview/review window to let post-NY break games media spend enough time with the game, give them the time to write previews, give them a window to do the early preview livestreams, give an extra to let previews simmer before reviews drop, then a few days after review to release game.

Frimaire

God, I can't stop checking the Amazon shipping status for this game...
It said it shipped on the 20th, but there haven't been any updates since then.
You've got like 24 hours to go over 1000km, Amazon...

Mines not yet been despatched.

This will be the 3rd late pre-order out of 3 attempts if it doesn't arrive tomorrow.

First time I went mad and they extended my prime subscription by 3 months for free and gave me a fiver off

Last time I rang them and went scatty and they gave me a tenner off and put me as priority status.

If it turns up late again I'll demand a full refund on my Amazon prime subscription and to keep the service. Gonna be a right arsehole.

Then again it could turn up and I'll be happy as hell

AdamT

Checked my preorder date on Amazon: Jul 27, 2016

Wow, has it really been that long? Having beaten 5 late last year, I've been eagerly anticipating this release. Hopefully, by the time I platinum this one, we'll be seeing 6 close to release in English.

Hasney

Checked my preorder date on Amazon: Jul 27, 2016

Wow, has it really been that long? Having beaten 5 late last year, I've been eagerly anticipating this release. Hopefully, by the time I platinum this one, we'll be seeing 6 close to release in English.

I think 6 will be exactly close to one year from now, with Kiwami in the middle to take the edge off.

I hope at least.

D-Man

My Amazon order is finally preparing for shipment. Tuesday releases usually get shipped the Monday before and it always gets here on time, so this is normal for me.

Same here, although i didnt preorder from Amazon. Urgh i'm hoping it'll still show up tomorrow.
My luck with preorders has been awful this gen tho so i'm expecting it to be at least 2 days late.

Yeah mine too but only in the last 6 months or so.

If it doesn't show up - go mental. I said about how it's a contract to delivery on the same day and I live up to my end by providing the money and they don't live up to their end so I deserve compensation.

In normal day to day life I'm actually a reasonable and understanding guy but big corporations can kiss my ass.

ViciousDS

Banned
that's a slick deal, but I've had prime for years and i never get stuff on release unless i pick 1 day shipping. if the last 9 games you ordered were late it doesn't seem like they're honoring this at all

they have honored it quite a few times....it's just this past year has been bad at actually achieving it....hence the extended Prime 9 times.

I'm assuming its due to work force and turn around time working there. I heard its not easy working in those warehouses and you better be fast as fuck if you want to even keep your job. It's not easy working in an Amazon warehouse. Most employees don't seem to stay too long due to how much you actually have to......work

ianpm31

The game doesn't need to do crazy numbers to succeed. It had a slow burning localization process and it's been out in Japan for over a year and half. If it sells out it's shipment I know Sega will be satisfied.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
god damnit... looks like i never cancelled my amazon order after ordering with best buy back in August. aka i bought 3 copies of this game, lol.

side note i did get release date delivery for free, so there's that

fvng

I doubt the competition affects Yakuza all that much. 3.8 million of the 4 million people who'll buy RE7 don't know or care what Yakuza is.

Citation needed.

Besides even if that was true, how many Yakuza fans would be interested in RE7. The reverse is more likely than the scenario you painted.

ZeroX03

Banned
Citation needed.

Besides even if that was true, how many Yakuza fans would be interested in RE7. The reverse is more likely than the scenario you painted.

Here's citation. I was being generous with 200k players know/care about the series by the way.

On the series’ growing appeal among Western fans, Nagoshi said, “We get more and more comments from players overseas, and we do listen to them. In the West we have about 100,000 players, which compared to the players we have in Japan is a very small number, but we consider them to be very important fans, and we want to make games that they will enjoy.”

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/09/16/sega-once-considered-a-yakuza-game-set-outside-japan

Impulsor

I doubt the competition affects Yakuza all that much. 3.8 million of the 4 million people who'll buy RE7 don't know or care what Yakuza is.

I did not know about Yakuza 0 coming out, never ever played a Yakuza game and I am getting RE7.

I bet I'm not the only one who is going to jump in as a new fan with Yakuza 0. It's getting very good coverage and the reviews are all very positive, so have faith! I bet I'm not the only one.

matmanx1

When I first joined Gaf many moons ago I used an avatar pic that was Kiryu Kazuma's back showing his glorious dragon tattoo. This was around the time I fell in love with the series from my play through of Y2. I sort of feel like that needs to come back for this launch.

Hasney

This is really good to hear. As you said maybe stock is low, but sold out is sold out.

Even with low stock, presumably they expected the number to be enough for demand, and the fact that it isn't at some retailers, including probably the biggest online games retailer (not sure if Game sell more online than Amazon) can only be a good thing.

On a side note, does anyone know what the best launch a Yakuza game has had in the UK is, in terms of first week sales or chart position?

I don't know on the last point, I don't think we've had reliable numbers due to low chart positions, but I'm hoping the blurb that comes with the charts next week says "series best debut" or something.

Clive

Been thinking about changing to a Yakuza avatar but this one goes so well with my RL name and being a Suikoden fan. If some Yakuza'd me up with a supporter avatar I'd be super thrilled.

Looks like Amazon Prime will fail to get me the game for release day. My fingers are itching for it and I worked hard to wrap up Doom this weekend so I'm all set. Hoping for Wednesday at least.

Can someone do the same for me. (put the yakuza supporter thing)

Been thinking about changing to a Yakuza avatar but this one goes so well with my RL name and being a Suikoden fan. If some Yakuza'd me up with a supporter avatar I'd be super thrilled.

Looks like Amazon Prime will fail to get me the game for release day. My fingers are itching for it and I worked hard to wrap up Doom this weekend so I'm all set. Hoping for Wednesday at least.

I need to create a new avatar so the Yakuza tag will look tidy when i ask someone to tag me up. If required i'll post pictures of my Yakuza 1, 2 & 3 physical releases even though i didn't own a PS3 :D

I've just realised, with this release i'll have 0, 1, 2, 3 as physical, nice :)
You guys should PM Son Of Sparda, he's added tags for a lot of users now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Funnily enough I'm a huge fan of Resident Evil and Yakuza 0 but ended up cancelling my preorder for RE7. Not because of anything to do with RE but Yakuza 0 will keep me busy for a while and by the time I get to RE7 it should hopefully be a bit cheaper (or include the season pass for the same price I was going to pay).

That's admittedly more of a me trying to keep an eye on my spending as well.

shandy706

Almost every game I've ever ordered with 2 Day on Prime has been at my house on release day.

My copy of Yakuza 0 shipped yesterday, should be here tomorrow...hopefully.

I've not cared about RE7 since....4....I guess. Haven't bought one since. I'll possibly get 7 down the road (sub $20).

This is my first Yakuza and I'm pretty excited.

StereoVsn

Considering how good Zero is I am hopeful that it can do more then 100K. If t can hit over 100K on release in the West (not just NA) and maybe 200-300K Lifetime it would be pretty great.

I firmly believe that they could have almost doubled their sales by releasing Zero on Steam simultaneously but that isn't happening.

Impulsor

Considering how good Zero is I am hopeful that it can do more then 100K. If t can hit over 100K on release in the West (not just NA) and maybe 200-300K Lifetime it would be pretty great.

I firmly believe that they could have almost doubled their sales by releasing Zero on Steam simultaneously but that isn't happening.

I've been reading that people consider it to be one of the best if not the best Yakuza games.

Glad that it's the prequel so there is no better time to jump in!

I'm so hyped all of a sudden. All the hype I would have normally built up during months of waiting has concentrated in 3 or 4 days!

The more I read and see about it, the more hyped I am!

SOLDIER

In non-spoiler terms, when does the game switch over to Goro's scenario? Does it bounce between the two characters, or do you need to play through one character's story to completion and then the other's?

Top Bottom