• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Tizoc

Mahjong? Nah, no fucking idea what I'm doing here either.

I'll stick to fighting and bowling lol.

This'll teach you Mahjong in no time-
yq8kidL.jpg

^Akagi

M.W.

I'm really fighting the urge to pick this up after work today...

Quick question (I've never played a Yakuza game)...

After finishing the main story, can I wander around doing side missions, playing arcade games, etc?

Yes...? I believe everything is available to do. I think someone mentioned you could earlier in the thread.

8bit

Knows the Score
After finishing the main story, can I wander around doing side missions, playing arcade games, etc?

There's Premium Adventure mode, which IIRC lets you wander around town picking off Substories. Usually also New Game plus of some kind to allow you go through time sensitive events too.

So. once you get the hang of Miss Tatsu's classes, all the secrets of the universe will be revealed (chiefly that Beast Mode is best). First thing you should do is pick up a box. Closest box. You can use the square combo to hulkingly pirouette towards the target. Once you get there, smashy smashy with square combos until the box breaks. Grab another box, and repeat. Pay attention to the monetary value on the box too, smash the bigger ones.

But yeah, get used to using square to pick up a box and simultaneously attack with it, and you won't go wrong.

It certainly has the most wince inducing heat moves

VpomRurd

So Amazon promised a delivery today yet sent it via Royal Mail. It's after 4pm, it ain't coming is it?

Hopefully join in on the good times tomorrow.

Same here. I complained to Amazon and got £5 Amazon credit. You could try that. It won't make the game appear but a free gift is always something.

SephLuis

I'm really fighting the urge to pick this up after work today...

Quick question (I've never played a Yakuza game)...

Yes. There's premium adventure which lets you roam free without having to worry about the story (opens only after finishing the story) and there's points in the story where there isn't too much urgency so you can enjoy those side activities.

Pick this up and you will be welcomed into YakuzaGAF

Are sidequests still marked on the map like Yakuza 5 or does that not happen any more?

You need an item for that which isn't so simple to get,

When you're doing the substories of
Miracle Jonhson
he lets you choose a reward. In both cases PICK THE BLACK BOX

Yeeeeaaah, shogi was pretty hard....

Maybe mahjong is easier. Lol.

Every Yakuza game I tell myself that I'll finally figure out shogi, only to lose immediately against the lowest level opponent.

Mahjong is stupidly addictive, though. Among my favorite side activities.

Played the first couple hours last night and am loving it so far. It's my first Yakuza game though, and I have the distinct feeling I'm absolutely terrible at the combat. I lost three times to the first story boss fight last night before I had to call it (though to be fair the first time I reached him I was at like 10% health).

Can't wait to pick it back up after work!

Oh wow, there is so much to do in this game, it's amazing!
Can you see if there are any side quests left before you go into the next chapter or do you have to find them?

zaryn

Picked up my preorder at Best Buy over lunch, and now begins the agonizing wait for work to end, and the wife and kid to go to sleep so I can finally dig into my first Yakuza game. The open world gameplay, combat, and insnane amount of side activities is exactly the type of game I'm in the mood for. I really hope the story is as engaging as I've heard it is.

I am so fucking pumped!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So,

Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.ca
bestbuy.ca

have all sold through their inventory. Am I missing anyone big?

Mahjong? Nah, no fucking idea what I'm doing here either.

I'll stick to fighting and bowling lol.

Just look up one of Barticles excellent Mah Jong guides for the Yakuza series on Gamefaqs, he helped me learn Mah Jong to a competent level that I can actually convincingly win matches now. Once it clicks though beware, you will lose countless hours to the mini game! Its probably my favourite activity in the series outside of the arcade and fighting arena.

can i sell stuff? i keep getting items saying its valuble.. but..

Just be very careful when selling stuff. Some valuable items can also be used for modding weapons in this series, and you'll be kicking yourself if you sold an ultra rare item for some yen (especially in 0) that prevents you from modding yourself an awesome lightsaber, or marlin staff etc.

Ricitor

Okay, so around 6 hours of play time. Went pretty much like every other Yakuza game. I do the first chapter (which was fucking awesome, especially that boss fight) and then proceed to go on misadventures as I play every mini-game to completion.

On that note, I am so happy they changed up the completion requirements for mini-games. The money aspect as well as simple checklists makes life so much easier. It definitely more grindy in nature but a fucking relief over the last gen entries. Also, the big focus of money was a little off putting at first but I kind of like it. Another small change I like is the new way of having dialogue play out. In that cinematic still style. It is way better than the ugly text boxes during more important scenes.

So far I have knocked off Darts. I fucking knew that SOB was trying to hustle me and get me hammered enough to fuck up. I showed him though! 3 Trip 60's overkill.

I am having one problem so far but I think that's because I didn't check my expectations. I was hoping I would come into the game was a young Kazuma who was super head strong and rash. It seems like he is a little too composed like he is in the later games. If there was ever the time to have Kazuma to divert from the stoic badass we always see, this was it. Hopefully he breaks into it more later. With that in mind, I really enjoyed the flashback in Chapter 1
(outside Sunshine with Kazama/Fuma). Seeing Kazuma cry was kind of amazing.

convo

RIP in pieces my wallet i hardly knew ya! Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 has left me broke for the next month or so. But who gives a shit i am already enjoying punching drunks to sober them up. I will be unstoppable and now is a good time to finally learn mahjong.

Played this for about 2 hours. I like it so far. Great setting and dialogues.

Quick question-
Right before a certain event, there will be an option for you to "get ready/prepared"

What do you guys do to "get ready"?

Rymuth

Quick question-
Right before a certain event, there will be an option for you to "get ready/prepared"

make sure you're stocked on staminan drinks
Check if health is full
Get drunk
Save
Proceed

I went into one end chapter without any staminan drinks and it was a rush, completing it with no health items.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I am having one problem so far but I think that's because I didn't check my expectations. I was hoping I would come into the game was a young Kazuma who was super head strong and rash. It seems like he is a little too composed like he is in the later games. If there was ever the time to have Kazuma to divert from the stoic badass we always see, this was it. Hopefully he breaks into it more later. With that in mind, I really enjoyed the flashback in Chapter 1
(outside Sunshine with Kazama/Fuma). Seeing Kazuma cry was kind of amazing.

Dang, I had hoped to see the Kiryu that NPC's talk big about in the other games, but I guess that isn't the case. This was that opportunity to show a real different side prior to what happened to him during the opening of Y1. A bit of a shame.

from GEMATSU 1/24/17

According to Sega, it will be releasing a few patches over the next couple of weeks that add free downloadable content to the game. Each batch will contain content such as new outfits, weapons, items, and crafting components. The first downloadable content is available today, and three additional batches will be made available every week until February 14. Players can access these bonuses in the game by talking to Bob the clown in front of the shrine in Kamurocho or Sotenbori.

8bit

Knows the Score

Quick question-

Buy health items.

Ricitor

Quick question-

Think of those warnings like you are about to go into a JRPG dungeon. Health is your friend so stock up. Heat items are nice but usually you will be getting enough to get through just by combos.

You need an item for that which isn't so simple to get,

When you're doing the substories of
Miracle Jonhson
he lets you choose a reward. In both cases PICK THE BLACK BOX

Thanks, should I worry about missing substories whilst I don't have that item or are they not so missable/hard to find in this game?

I've been wanting to restart this series after stopping midway through the first installment on PS2. My leisure money has been tight for the month, but the preorder incentives and the desire to help push a second breath for the brawler got the best of me.

After "Gravity Rush 2," the streets of Japan and the criminals that wander them are on my list!

Top Bottom