• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

explodet

Started a Legend playthough.

Now I hate
Yoneda
even more.
I made it a priority to
shove a handful of nails into his face.

ohhhh ahahh, i should have known this was an in game reference. i must have missed this substory or just clicked the fuck through to get through it and not paid attention to the dialogue.

I actually couldn't figure out if you were intentionally pretending to not get the joke or if you genuinely didn't know what we were talking about. Now I feel bad!

xezuru

p.s. I disagree that Majima hated his job. Someone isn't that good at their job if they hate it. He may have had another goal in mind, but I think he also enjoyed running the Grand (and the hostess club), aside from the groveling to customers part.

To me this just shows how intense Majima's devotion is to his goals, even when he fucking hated it, they pushed his absolutely hatred of it hard in early chapters but kind of just forgot about it throughout, and honestly, to me, I'd agree I'd fucking hate the monotony of having to deal with adult children both being employed and served as customers with an absolute servitude and having zero other freedom or worth in your life.

Are the other Yakuza games this good? I'm about 20h in and it's...phenomenal!? Any other Yakuza game that runs on PS4?

Intro to chapter 3 got a little over the top though.

Let me put it this way: I bought a PS3 for Yakuza 3 and 4 (5 was a miracle), and a PS4 for the promise of Yakuza 0, 6, and whatever else. I do not regret any of those decisions. If there's a Yakuza game for PS5 you better believe I'm in on that.

I earned 55mil in chapter 2 before I left. Felt like a lot but it was so fun. I did almost all possible substories but the Pocket Circuit substories got a little too expensive at some point.

I unlocked this
"agents gathering materials for you"
thing now. Is it worth spending CP on improving it?

I earned 55mil in chapter 2 before I left. Felt like a lot but it was so fun. I did almost all possible substories but the Pocket Circuit substories got a little too expensive at some point.

I unlocked this
"agents gathering materials for you"
thing now. Is it worth spending CP on improving it?

This is the only way to get high level weapons which can make fighting a lot easier.

This is the only way to get high level weapons which can make fighting a lot easier.

The only weapon I used during any of the mission fights was
a shotgun during the last battle against those gun-toting yakuza. I tried, but they kept gunning me down before I had a chance, so I went in Crockett and Tubbs style. And of course Majima's bat, but I tried to use it sparingly. Had to use it on the hitman; I assume it's possible to defeat him without a weapon, but not being able to block those knives would be tough.

Hm, now I want to see a version of this with Kiryu and Nishiki...
15297885766_8257d712d2_o.jpg

a shotgun during the last battle against those gun-toting yakuza. I tried, but they kept gunning me down before I had a chance, so I went in Crockett and Tubbs style. And of course Majima's bat, but I tried to use it sparingly. Had to use it on the hitman; I assume it's possible to defeat him without a weapon, but not being able to block those knives would be tough.

Hm, now I want to see a version of this with Kiryu and Nishiki

I didn't do anything with weapons until
Amon
. But they are nice to have with Mr Shakedown too.

Okay, torture is not a nice thing and I don't condone it, but these are yakuza we're talking about. They probably rough up people for information fairly often. In this game, there are a lot more shades of grey. Of course Kiryu was angry in that scene. He wasn't able to protect Tachibana. He was angry at everyone and angry at himself. Kuze was just trying to make himself useful and get things done for the family, but he had no personal grudge against Kiryu or Tachibana. Shibusawa and Dojima are really the only guys in the Dojima family I consider evil. They had no lines or rules.

And speaking of lines, I still don't understand Oda's
motivations. He sold the guy he supposedly loves like a brother down the river. Told Shibusawa where to find him even! None of that made sense.
yah well
I get the they are yakuza and yakuza will yakuza, but that does not excuse the torturous and treacherous shit they were doing! oh sure, kuze was trying to do what he could for the dojima family, that doesn't give him a pass for being a fucking animal! if you can hold your composure and start crushing an innocent human being's toe's one at a time for information, as if it is a day to day routine, you are fucking evil and i say, fuck you. so fuck kuze, fuck him all the way to hell and the other dojima bastards to. fuck them all.
so as for kiryu, if I were him, I would never get over what kuze and i would hate him for the rest of his and my life. and i would want to beat the fuck out of him every time i see him, with passion.

same goes for Oda...hate for him went away way too easily, too fast. and i agree that his motivations weren't really clear either.
Yep. Honestly this was a Majima game.

I remember when I was at the ending cutscene of chapter 4, I was really drunk or really high or maybe both, super invested into the story by then and might have even teared up at the suspense, the way they cliffhanger on you and then get back to kiryu...

ChanMan

Just hit Chapter
and the story has been really really good as expected in this series but the combat really gets in the way for me. It is really great for the boss battles but for all the other skirmishes it is just too tedious for me. I can see why they added the ability to throw money in this version but it still doesn't excuse how combat is one of the least fun things to do in this game. Also I am finding myself enjoying Kiryu's story (and even combat) a lot more than Majima's and I really didn't expect that but that is probably because I enjoy the Real Estate minigame a lot more than the Cabaret Club stuff.

danmaku

Man the Yakuza don't stuff around do they.

Only when it's convenient to the plot.
I don't understand why Kuze loses a finger (for a very good reason) but Kiryu beats up an entire army of Dojima's men (including Kuze!) and he's still allowed to go away with zero consequences. Even assuming all the fights never happened, I doubt you can quit the Yakuza so easily. Especially if you're involved in a murder case linked to a very important real estate property.
Maybe it's explained later, I'm just on chapter 9, but I found it really dumb.

So far, I'm loving this game. The combat is super fun, not very technical (the counter move seems to exist only to help button mashers) but it's flashy and has a lot of variety. I'm on a quest to see all contextual animations, I love'em (even the pliers have a custom heat move, and it's hilarious). The minigames are fun for the most part, and the atmosphere is top notch. I have that "tourist in Japan" feeling when I'm walking around Kamurocho, searching for a place to waste my time. I love how deeply "Japanese" the game feels, from the writing to the setting to the mechanics. The story is ok, though I think the dissonance with the gameplay does quite a lot of damage. Case in point: the Dojima lieutenant are amazing, I like their design and the way they talk, they feel so menacing and powerful... until shits hit the fan and they seem utterly powerless compared to the main characters.
There's this scene when Awano is threatening Kiryu, then you beat up all of his men and after that he's still threatening you like nothing happened. It's comical, am I supposed to be afraid? You couldn't scratch me even if you hired Batman!
. Maybe they should've made the game harder (I'm playing on hard) but I'm afraid the combat engine isn't good enough to crank up the difficulty so maybe it's for the best.

ChanMan

I don't understand why Kuze loses a finger (for a very good reason) but Kiryu beats up an entire army of Dojima's men (including Kuze!) and he's still allowed to go away with zero consequences. Even assuming all the fights never happened, I doubt you can quit the Yakuza so easily. Especially if you're involved in a murder case linked to a very important real estate property.

I agree that part really didn't make any sense to me as well.
Also, I really think Kuze is kind of tiresome at this point fight him 3 times already and gets his ass kicked every time you would think at think point the Dojima family would outcast him already.

muteki

Somehow managed to win against Club Venus even when he was kicking everyone out of my club. My plan so far was do special training every time I run the club and when I run out of training it is time to challenge the next club, which has worked pretty well so far.

One more club to go then headed straight to the end of the game.

This isn't so weird. When the yakuza get implicated in a crime they will find a fall-guy, disown him and basically package him up and hand him over to the police. It's one of the reasons they're a legal organization.

I've played 3 Yakuza games now, and literally never used a weapon that I didn't pick up in the middle of a fight, unless you count Majima's slugger style

Rymuth

I... Really don't feel like this, Majima for me was usually a rush job for me to get back to Kiryu haha.

Majima has a great and better side activity though!
The empty lot mystery is too vague, too nebulous for one to get invested in until very, very late in the game when you built a relationship with certain characters and you, the player, feel compelled to see it through for their sake. Otherwise, it's completely alien to a person why Kiryu doesn't just get outta dodge.

By contrast, Majima has an emotional hook. Bam. Right from the start.

I'm doing a second playthrough with relatives who are not into gaming and they keep pestering me to speed past Kiryu's chapters because it's boring them.

NEO0MJ

yah well
I get the they are yakuza and yakuza will yakuza, but that does not excuse the torturous and treacherous shit they were doing! oh sure, kuze was trying to do what he could for the dojima family, that doesn't give him a pass for being a fucking animal! if you can hold your composure and start crushing an innocent human being's toe's one at a time for information, as if it is a day to day routine, you are fucking evil and i say, fuck you. so fuck kuze, fuck him all the way to hell and the other dojima bastards to. fuck them all.
so as for kiryu, if I were him, I would never get over what kuze and i would hate him for the rest of his and my life. and i would want to beat the fuck out of him every time i see him, with passion.

Enough of your transgressions against our lord and savior!

33320737532_a926fdd471_o.gif

Kuze is a saint! In fact, when I grow up I want to be a Kuze.

Aki-at

The empty lot mystery is too vague, too nebulous for one to get invested in until very, very late in the game when you built a relationship with certain characters and you, the player, feel compelled to see it through for their sake. Otherwise, it's completely alien to a person why Kiryu doesn't just get outta dodge.

I'm doing a second playthrough with relatives who are not into gaming and they keep pestering me to speed past Kiryu's chapters because it's boring them.

Have to disagree because the empty lot is just the catalyst for a power struggle going on in the yakuza, it's turned a sure fire A star yakuza in the making into a target and potentially could involve the death of
his foster father and Kazama family
along the way. Though I agree
because he never appears until the very end, he isn't much of an emotional hook which is my biggest disappointment with the game.
But I found the crime family chaos a bit more gripping then looking after Makoto and all the cool moments tended to fall into Kazuma's section of the game.

I found the opposite too with family :p though they're into gaming, they wanted me to get back into Kiryu and see how he'd take care of the major forces against him and his friends.

Yep, haha. As I was finishing chapter 4, in the back of my head I'm just constantly thinking "dammit, I'm going to have to go back to Kiryu after this mission, aren't I?"

Finally beat Ogita. Man fuck that guy so much. Here and in Yakuza 5

Wait. WAIT. It's the same Ogita in Yakuza 5? HOLY SHIT.

Also, (YAKUZA 5 SPOILERS)
it was weird to see Ogita fighting with Majima's breaker style. I didn't realize there were even deeper links!

I agree that Majima's story is more immediate, but Kiryu's story absolutely does have an emotional hook:
the guy who almost literally saved Kiryu from destitution and made him who he is is in the crosshairs, and Kazama's plan involves Kiryu working with Tachibana. He is absolutely involved and there's no way Kiryu would run from something Kazama wanted him to do.

Enough of your transgressions against our lord and savior!

33320737532_a926fdd471_o.gif

Kuze is a saint! In fact, when I grow up I want to be a Kuze.

never. fuck that pinky fingerless fuck.

have you seen narcos? there is a very relevant line in that show that goes: If you support evil, you are evil.

so kuze is evil.

Top Bottom