• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Aki-at

I agree that Majima's story is more immediate, but Kiryu's story absolutely does have an emotional hook:
the guy who almost literally saved Kiryu from destitution and made him who he is is in the crosshairs, and Kazama's plan involves Kiryu working with Tachibana. He is absolutely involved and there's no way Kiryu would run from something Kazama wanted him to do.

Yeah and this is why I really enjoyed Yakuza 0's story, it does very well at two stories that have different themes; Kiryu's is one of growth, where he
tries to become the man he idolise and grow as a yakuza,
whilst Majima's is one of redemption
and atonement for the events of the past.
And yet both these two stories tie up each other fantastically, Majima's is
one more lonely, forced by Shimano to be isolated without friends to help him, trying to live in a dog eat dog world and his only ally isn't much of an ally
whilst Kiryu is one prepared for him specifically by
Kazama, ensuring that his son has the help he needs, surrounded by allies willing to die to help him.

Two distinctive characters is what makes the package work so well and the two have such parallels it's really well thought out. You could argue
Majima is what Kiryu would have become if not for Kazama.

And now I really badly want a Kazama game.

The empty lot mystery is too vague, too nebulous for one to get invested in until very, very late in the game when you built a relationship with certain characters and you, the player, feel compelled to see it through for their sake. Otherwise, it's completely alien to a person why Kiryu doesn't just get outta dodge.

By contrast, Majima has an emotional hook. Bam. Right from the start.

I'm doing a second playthrough with relatives who are not into gaming and they keep pestering me to speed past Kiryu's chapters because it's boring them.

Well, the main reason Kiryu doesn't get out of dodge is because he's trying to clear his name of murder. Kiryu's story is classic crime drama, and some people just aren't into those kinds of interweaving, complicated mystery plots. Majima's story is smaller, focused primarily on
Sagawa and Makoto, and is primarily about what kind of man Majima wants to be and how far he'll go to be that man. It's also a kind of love story, which makes it easier to hook people.

But really, this is a Makoto game.
After all, Kiryu and Majima are just stooges in her clever plan to become a billionaire.

Rymuth

Wait. WAIT. It's the same Ogita in Yakuza 5? HOLY SHIT.

Also, (YAKUZA 5 SPOILERS)
it was weird to see Ogita fighting with Majima's breaker style. I didn't realize there were even deeper links!

I agree that Majima's story is more immediate, but Kiryu's story absolutely does have an emotional hook:
the guy who almost literally saved Kiryu from destitution and made him who he is is in the crosshairs, and Kazama's plan involves Kiryu working with Tachibana. He is absolutely involved and there's no way Kiryu would run from something Kazama wanted him to do.
Look at it from a newcomer's prespective. Kazama remains an unseen force. We are *told* Kiryu owes him his life, we are *told* he is a great guy but as a player, new to the series, we dont see it so its tough to care.

Makoto is there. Her problems are obvious, immediate plus you get to see her reaction to ever plot development. Thats a more robust recipe for player attachment.

Tl;dr - clasic case of show, dont tell

ar4757

Too easy

Better story/better side quests IMO
image.php

Yep. Honestly this was a Majima game.
image.php

That said, I agree with you, Majima parts are my favorite. Just finished the cabaret club yesterday, surprisingly enjoyable. Club Moon brought in more money but they spent more so I won barely haha

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Feel like the main reason it was a Majima game is because he actually transforms and changes. Kiryu as a character didn't really do that any character growth/changes he has gone through were really subtle. It might have made more sense to have Kiryu be a bit more unhinged/violent in his youth and that getting him into constant trouble and then come into the honorable more retrained legend we all know him as. Would have also been an interesting mirror story to Majima.
1 has to break his leash and the other has to put a leash on himself for both to reach their heights.

convo

But really, this is a Makoto game.
After all, Kiryu and Majima are just stooges in her clever plan to become a billionaire.

While this wasn't the case when
she got shot
i totally thought
that that was her plan. To get shot and thus have Majima get revenge for her and her borther.
And i was like OOOOOHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Look at it from a newcomer's prespective. Kazama remains an unseen force. We are *told* Kiryu owes him his life, we are *told* he is a great guy but as a player, new to the series, we dont see it so its tough to care.

Makoto is there. Her problems are obvious, immediate plus you get to see her reaction to ever plot development. Thats a more robust recipe for player attachment.

Tl;dr - clasic case of show, dont tell

Oh, that's fair. I thought you literally were saying there's no emotional hook, not that it's mostly left off-screen.

Though I think even then, there are a few things that keep Kiryu around. First is Nishiki, who does get a fair amount of screentime. Since the Dojima family want to pin the responsibility for the murder and its fallout on Kiryu (and thus Kazama), if Kiryu runs away, the whole Kazama family gets destroyed. That includes Nishiki. Second is just the mystery of why Kiryu's life has taken such a turn based on nothing. Why would someone frame him for murder? Why would a parcel of real estate matter so much? How do those two things tie together?

My introduction to the series was Yakuza 3, where the personal drama is inextricably tied up with broader political concerns not dissimilar from the yakuza infighting in 0, so I'm used to it and enjoy it. But yeah, I agree, Majima's story is easier to grasp because so much more of it happens on a personal level.

Does anyone know what triggers the final Miss Tatsu job at the pier? I finished the $12m one and she keeps telling me I she doesn't have any jobs. I definitely invested enough into the Beast tree ($10b) if that's it.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed one of the training arenas.

Does anyone know what triggers the final Miss Tatsu job at the pier? I finished the $12m one and she keeps telling me I she doesn't have any jobs. I definitely invested enough into the Beast tree ($10b) if that's it.

Doesn't matter how much you invest, you gotta unlock the sphere that connects to the locked secret sphere on the board.

Edit: You big, fat buffoon.

LMAO @
the religious cult substory
. My absolute favourite so far. Interestingly, the
Man with a stranger's Face
turned sad pretty fast after I initially assumed it's about pedophilia lol.

By the way, how long does it roughly take for 100% completion? Got 22% in 21h so far, chapter 3. Will take me 100h at this rate.

Though I think even then, there are a few things that keep Kiryu around. First is Nishiki, who does get a fair amount of screentime. Since the Dojima family want to pin the responsibility for the murder and its fallout on Kiryu (and thus Kazama), if Kiryu runs away, the whole Kazama family gets destroyed. That includes Nishiki.

As a newcomer to the series, the relationship between Kiryu and Nishiki was a big emotional touchstone for me in Kiryu's story. In fact I'd totally play a Yakuza offshoot where Kiryu, Nishiki, and Majima go on a summer road trip through Japan.

Overall though, Kiryu seems more like a heroic avatar for the player, representing someone who fights for truth, justice, and the Japanese way. On the other hand, with Majima I was often angry at the choices he was making (such as fighting people I didn't want to fight). Perhaps the fact that Majima was pushing my buttons was part of the reason I was more emotionally involved with his story.

Every time I think about this game and its story, I really am amazed at how well they pulled it off. There's been plenty of games that set up a narrative about protecting someone, but they usually feel forced and artificial. Rarely does a game create that feeling naturally. That just comes down to stellar writing.

xezuru

Something I realized about Yakuza and it's basically the only thing I find lacking over the long term of the series is that throughout it the notion of fucking kinship is pushed super hard especially with Y0 Kiryu and Nishikiyama for example, that said, I feel like you never have time in any game to actually hang out with them on your own terms throughout the normal game, and looking back on it, I've never really done so in premium adventure either because at those points I've felt complete with the games. I kinda really wish you have more involvement with your side characters, bring back the Haruka relationship meter and have time to karaoke with all your bros and have a bioware loyalty mission and reward after maxing, except I actually like Yakuza characters. I hope Kiwami is fuckin fantastic.

El-Suave

I played Yakuza 1-3 and this one is my favorite by far. Amazing translation and great cinematography.
The only thing I didn't quite get is related to the relationship between Majima and Sagawa.
Was them being buddies at the end a Yakuza "no hard feelings" thing? Sagawa put Majima through so much shit I didn't quite buy that their last conversation was so amicable.

PepperedHam

Not taking any spoiler risks by seeing if it's been asked before, but currently on Chapter 10 and I am curious about something progression wise, might be obvious what I'm about to ask:
Do you get to come back to Kamurocho during the story? Just wondering if it's safe to leave certain stuff unfinished, like the Real Estate business and some mini game/substory stuff.

Not taking any spoiler risks by seeing if it's been asked before, but currently on Chapter 10 and I am curious about something progression wise, might be obvious what I'm about to ask:
Do you get to come back to Kamurocho during the story? Just wondering if it's safe to leave certain stuff unfinished, like the Real Estate business and some mini game/substory stuff.

Yeah, you'll return before the end of the game. You'll be able to do any activities or missions you've not completed yet.

Yep. You have nothing to worry about.

xezuru

There will be a definitive point before the game ends where things explicitly state it's your last chance on the last chapter with a triple check.

Btw. can anyone provide a link (or name) to that catchy battle theme that plays for instance against the bontan hunter? Searching on YT is a spoiler mine field.

PepperedHam

Yeah, you'll return before the end of the game. You'll be able to do any activities or missions you've not completed yet.
Yep. You have nothing to worry about.
There will be a definitive point before the game ends where things explicitly state it's your last chance on the last chapter with a triple check.

Thanks a bunch everyone. Back to the game.

Been making my way slowly through this, haven't jumped into the OT at all or anything but this is likely to go down as one of my favorite games of the year, if not my GOTY. Everything from the writing, characters, story, side stories, mini-games.... fuckin' hell this game is unbelievable. Every single second of my near 40 hours so far has been fun, I never spend a session doing something I am not enjoying.

And even then, you can freely take your save data into a new mode that only has side content so you can wrap up all of that there. Or you can do what I do, and just play Mahjong and occasionally run your businesses while ignoring the rest of the side content because Riiiiiichi

Shaneus

Thanks a bunch everyone. Back to the game.

Been making my way slowly through this, haven't jumped into the OT at all or anything but this is likely to go down as one of my favorite games of the year, if not my GOTY. Everything from the writing, characters, story, side stories, mini-games.... fuckin' hell this game is unbelievable. Every single second of my near 40 hours so far has been fun, I never spend a session doing something I am not enjoying.
Likewise. And I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near where you are (just unlocked the real estate stuff). Might do what that other poster suggested and get in on that real estate cashola, become some kind of billionaire.

Too easy

image.php

image.php

That said, I agree with you, Majima parts are my favorite. Just finished the cabaret club yesterday, surprisingly enjoyable. Club Moon brought in more money but they spent more so I won barely haha

How many fans did you have in the area when you started?

Hmmm, just finished chapter 14, I don't understand why
Oda is giving Intel to Shibusawa all along? Isn't Tachibana the one he can't betray?

Too easy

image.php

image.php

yes, Majima's story was great.

My Yakuza support game is top tier!

It's even funnier when you go back through the thread and see how many people were driven to despair by such an innocent item.
yeah that item is deadly =)
Oda is giving Intel to Shibusawa all along? Isn't Tachibana the one he can't betray?
oh man, you're at the good part. i don't want to spoil it for you but keep going!

SephLuis

Read this later. After you finish the game.
It isn't completely clear his reasons in the scene, but he probably had a deal with Shibusawa to leave Tachibana alone.

If Shibusawa got Makoto and erased her, Oda's secret would never have be out and Tachibana would lose all his ways to oppose the Tojo Clan so they would probably forget his existence eventually.

Jimrpg

They so nailed the writing in this game. English translation is amazing.

Agreed the writing is incredible! One of the best stories in gaming so far. I'm on chapter 2 but it's been engrossing. I enjoyed the other Yakuzas a lot but Y0 is in another league which leads me to wonder who came on board to do the writing because it's better than the others.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Just finished chapter 11 when (spoilers )
Nishi gets shot. Was upset at this character death, I was hoping for some epic team up between him and majima, busting heads. And for him to be a constant rival of sorts throughout the game for majima. Feels like the only moment in the yakuza story that disappointed me and should have been done differently

How long will the remaining chapters from 12 onwards take ? Loving the game but don't want it too drag out too long

Also does anybody know the song that is sad acoustic guitar music that plays at certain scenes ? Can't find it anywhere

Erevador

Does anyone have a gif of the MAKE AN OFFER IN CASH moment? It's just too perfect. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in use all over GAF already...

Holy shit. Just finished it and... that was the best Yakuza yet! It even surpassed my personal favourite, Yakuza 3.

Spoilers which aren't really spoilers at all:
The pre-credits scene got me right in the feels, as did some of the post-credits scene, but the final scene proper had me cheering and laughing out loud.

And now I get to do it all again because I got so lost in the hype that... I switched my PS4 off without saving! xD

All right, better check some YT tutorials then. I had no clue what I was doing the first time I played it. If I finish this game knowing how to play Mahjong, that'd be a feat. Game has been really educational overall.

I hope it's enjoyable.

danmaku

So there's this thing called a "charismatic autobiography." You should find it and equip it!

lol, I have the book and also the "charismatic picture" (I think I got it from a dream machine). I never used it, but now I want to give it a try, at least for boss battles. I get that random goons shouldn't be hard, but you also shouldn't be able to beat every boss on your first try.

Mikhal

lol, I have the book and also the "charismatic picture" (I think I got it from a dream machine). I never used it, but now I want to give it a try, at least for boss battles. I get that random goons shouldn't be hard, but you also shouldn't be able to beat every boss on your first try.

If it's a one-vs-one fight I'm not sure if the charismatic autobiography has any effects. Has anyone tried using it while doing the missions where you have to protect people from getting attacked by enemies? I always wondered if that helps.

PedroRVD

After grinding for several hours I'm finally minutes away of finishing everything of Real State in chapter 6. I speak Spanish and this game being only in English is one of the few things that put this game a little away from 10/10. Understanding Real State was a pain ... but it became so natural and kinda addicting when I understood it ... of course I needed several guides. Unfortunately in those guides I read that Majima has something similar and maybe more confusing.

Can somebody point me to a guide for the clubs thing before I get there?

Is the Majima business part more difficult / longer than Kiryu's?

I have my Switch and Zelda waiting for me but Yakuza is so amazing that I'm holding on that (my first Yakuza game).

So... if somebody can explain in few words the mechanics of Majima's business game I would be grateful 😌

I thought I had gotten pretty good at fighting in the game, but I watched this combat guide and learned a few things. For one, I knew there was a counter system in theory, but didn't really know how to use it, and the descriptions in the abilities are always a bit vague. Seems a bit tricky to pull off though. I also had no idea you could change your grab position with L1, or that you could remove a heat move from appearing with L2.

So... if somebody can explain in few words the mechanics of Majima's business game I would be grateful ��

Majima's game is sort of like his job at the Grand. Customers come in and sit at tables (12 I think?), and you have to assign the hostess (woman) that will make the customer the most happy. Some customers want a pretty girl, some want a girl who likes to talk, some want someone sexy. Hostesses may ask for help by showing you a hand signal and you have to choose the right option (such as "refill ice" or "change ashtray"). When a customer wants to leave they'll ask for the bill, and you have a few options like thanking the customer, or giving the hostess a reward for making the customer happy. Hostesses can get tired, so you have to let them rest. Part of success is choosing the right hostesses to work every night so that you can provide women that each customer might want.

When you're not running the club, you can also train the Platinum (best) hostesses to level them up, and can buy outfits to improve their stats.

Majima's hostess game is more involved than Kiryu's, but I also think it's more fun.

Jimrpg

Oh man, this game is going to take me a while. I played 2 hours last night and feel like I got absolutely no where, did a couple of sub stories and watched a cut scene or two (the one where the Tachibana real estate guy throws money in the dude's face) and did the dancing mini game and that was my 2 hours!

Top Bottom