• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Not sure how well Y0 or Kiwami would run on the Switch considering even the base PS4 has screen tearing. Might have to be some downgrades.

The games can run on a PS3 (albeit at a reduced resolution and frame rate), the Switch should be fine at running the game. Not sure what frame rate it could run at though.
Makes me wonder if the Switch can handle Yakuza 6 though (since even the base PS4 has issues with that).

Theonik

Not sure how well Y0 or Kiwami would run on the Switch considering even the base PS4 has screen tearing. Might have to be some downgrades.
Boost mode is really a godsend for Y0. It basically makes the game run 60 locked 99% of the time without the tearing.

Boost mode is really a godsend for Y0. It basically makes the game run 60 locked 99% of the time without the tearing.

I'm sure it is, but I won't waver from my one console per generation dogma. I just hope Y6 is not going to be a mess on the base PS4. The drop to 30 is going to be bad enough already.

Jimrpg

I guess. But I'm trying to rationalize here! :D

it's only a few months to go! Yakuza fans always wait.

God damn it man, I can't afford a Pro right now >_<

I'm sure it is, but I won't waver from my one console per generation dogma. I just hope Y6 is not going to be a mess on the base PS4. The drop to 30 is going to be bad enough already.

After seeing some of the screen tearing and frame drops for Y6 on youtube, while its bad, its not AU$450 bad for me. That's like buying a 1070 with not nearly the same amount of value either. I think I'll probablyy put up with it. My mind will most likely change when the time comes though. But check out some youtube vids of the screen tearing.

Also I was totally fine with the performance in Y0 (but it was in 60fps).

The improvements graphically I think are worth it in Y6. It looks so damn good.

Do we know if Kiwami will be 60fps?

Yep Kiwami is 60fps and performance will be very similar to Yakuza 0.

Fordy

Played up to chapter 7 and just unlocked Majima's business. Really invested in it and still a lot to learn. Not dabbled in the side activities a bunch as of yet.

I've heard the story picks up doesn't stop at some point?

Jimrpg

Played up to chapter 7 and just unlocked Majima's business. Really invested in it and still a lot to learn. Not dabbled in the side activities a bunch as of yet.

I've heard the story picks up doesn't stop at some point?

It does pick up. The latter half of the game had me wanting to just play the story segments as it was really engaging. You can still do most of your side activities, though there are times when the game does stop you from doing so and tells you that you have more 'urgent' things to do.

So if you want to do side activities and mini games you probably don't want to do them in the last couple of chapters as you might get locked out of them.

I've spent about a billion yen on dream machines trying to get this fucking pocket circuit motor

Like literal hours of just running a loop on every dream machine in Kamurocho and then going and collecting real estate money. It's driving me insane

Shaneus

I've spent about a billion yen on dream machines trying to get this fucking pocket circuit motor

Like literal hours of just running a loop on every dream machine in Kamurocho and then going and collecting real estate money. It's driving me insane
Oh god, I feel you there. It was so frustrating, pretty sure that's where like half of my 150 hours went :/

xezuru

When I was doing my legendary playthrough I felt the same at a lot of points.
You aren't alone.
image.php

this summer is gonna be so lit. game of thrones, spiderman, defenders, and last but not least, yakuza.

i don't know how many of y'all are tekken fans but i am dying to know if harada will stick to his guns and put kiryu in the game. another outlet has reported on his popularity.

I basically just got Mahjong + the gamble crap left for 100%. The latter is really tiresome tbh.
How easy is the mahjong stuff? I'm kind of dreading going after those because I have no idea how mahjong works and idk if i want to learn it just to get 100%

Which I probably won't get anyway because I'm so awful at the disco minigame that the last Maharajah side quest is just going to stay unresolved

How easy is the mahjong stuff? I'm kind of dreading going after those because I have no idea how mahjong works and idk if i want to learn it just to get 100%

Which I probably won't get anyway because I'm so awful at the disco minigame that the last Maharajah side quest is just going to stay unresolved

No idea, haven't tried it yet.

No idea, haven't tried it yet.

It took me several iterations of Yakuza to learn Mahjong. Its really not that hard (I'm just a slow learner!) but really its just a matter of sitting down and learning a few simple hands and then taking it from there. I found the rest came naturally over time. Its now my favourite mini game (outside of the arcade) and I usually spend a few hours playing it on every Yakuza game I play. But in terms of completion goals in the game (toward the 100%) its probably one of the more demanding activities, getting a couple of the hands is tough, since it can rely on equal amounts of luck and skill.

Shaneus

Does anyone know any of what Kiryu says before he's about to go into a fight? It's usually pretty brief but it's never subtitled.

I imagine it's something like "Let's do this", but would like to know for sure.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
wtf I didn't even know dashing was a thing until I specifically looked up what those shrine upgrades for it even meant.

I'm gonna guess no, but does Kiwami or 6 finally at long last get rid of the series famously laggy menus/text boxes?

The godspeed motor mkII? I randomly went up to a dream machine just now after seeing your post and got it. I feel bad now.

Can someone please explain any of this to me:

I wanna be your girl
I wanna be your girl
Somebody said I'm good girl with drinkin' up all wines
Every men seems so happy to see me good
Do I look nicely enough?
I got dressed up in for you
Look at me, this is my love all for you
Stay all night long, sit tight in sofa
Drink wines and talk every night
Look at me, don't ever see her
Don't touch her, today time for you and me
What you like, how you like
What do you like best?
I can't think anymore
What do you like best?
I just want your love
Uh yeah
Even though you look at her
(what you like, how you like, as you like, I'll do)
I hope this time will last forever (may last forever)
Will I be your girl, tonight?
Will I ever be your lady?
I don't need anyone's love but your one love that makes me up in lady
I want to be your girl

None of this shit makes sense, it's oftentimes not even real English lmao

Newboi

I just wanted to say that this game is just TOO awesome! Kiryu is definitely now one of my top video game protagonists ever. He's so hilariously oblivious, yet does everything with the stone cold conviction of a yakuza, while also having a heart of gold.

Anyway, I'm actually not that far into the game. I basically am on the chapter right after you unlock the real estate business. I've already completely finished it and
unlocked his secret style, Dragon of Dojima
. I currently have
that skill tree at level 50
! I'm waaaayyy too broken early, and I love it!

Shaneus

As much as I told myself I'd work on progressing the storyline once I got back to Majima (at ch 11, I think), I'm still doing side quests and mini games. Kind of getting the hang of the hostess/club minigame, but how do you get more than one platinum hostess? And how do you refill their stats between sessions... just idle in-game like waiting for real estate payouts?

Theonik

As much as I told myself I'd work on progressing the storyline once I got back to Majima (at ch 11, I think), I'm still doing side quests and mini games. Kind of getting the hang of the hostess/club minigame, but how do you get more than one platinum hostess? And how do you refill their stats between sessions... just idle in-game like waiting for real estate payouts?
You get more platinum hostesses as you progress through the minigame. Refilling their stats shouldn't be necessary if you play the game right*, but watch their happiness rating if they start to become unhappy swap them out. They full recover next time you play.

*Tips
-Always try to select the best girl to serve a client as you select a new client it will project their happiness
-When a girl needs help hit triangle over them to start a minigame. You have to guess what they want by hand gestures. Guess right and they recover significantly.
-When the bill is requested hit triangle. You can choose to reward the girl praise her etc. Sometimes you might also be prompted to extend a session. Reward takes a bit of your earnings but always leads to good recovery.
-Use fever often. Remember it only applies to seated customers so if you can save it for right after a switch to get most value. Sometimes it can help take an unhappy customer into happy and save your ass later on.
-If you didn't get the trophy for the cabaret negotiation look around the town, there is a lot of girls hiding to be recruited. (less if you got the trophy as you get 5 bonus girls which don't spawn in the town after)
-Do sidequests. Some of my best hostesses (The Obatarian and Eranda) were from sidequests.
-Think 4 dimensionally.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sheesh! The further I get in the game the worse the bad things about it seem to get! Think its about time I drop the side stuff an plow on through the story.

Shaneus

You get more platinum hostesses as you progress through the minigame. Refilling their stats shouldn't be necessary if you play the game right*, but watch their happiness rating if they start to become unhappy swap them out. They full recover next time you play.

*Tips
-Always try to select the best girl to serve a client as you select a new client it will project their happiness
-When a girl needs help hit triangle over them to start a minigame. You have to guess what they want by hand gestures. Guess right and they recover significantly.
-When the bill is requested hit triangle. You can choose to reward the girl praise her etc. Sometimes you might also be prompted to extend a session. Reward takes a bit of your earnings but always leads to good recovery.
-Use fever often. Remember it only applies to seated customers so if you can save it for right after a switch to get most value. Sometimes it can help take an unhappy customer into happy and save your ass later on.
-If you didn't get the trophy for the cabaret negotiation look around the town, there is a lot of girls hiding to be recruited. (less if you got the trophy as you get 5 bonus girls which don't spawn in the town after)
-Do sidequests. Some of my best hostesses (The Obatarian and Eranda) were from sidequests.
-Think 4 dimensionally.
Oh god, it's so much deeper than the Real Estate stuff! Thanks for the tips :)

I don't know if I got the cabaret negotiation trophy, but if I didn't I'll look around the town. I do see a number of girls waiting to be recruited already, so perhaps I missed my chance.

Theonik

Oh god, it's so much deeper than the Real Estate stuff! Thanks for the tips :)

I don't know if I got the cabaret negotiation trophy, but if I didn't I'll look around the town. I do see a number of girls waiting to be recruited already, so perhaps I missed my chance.
You get that trophy by asking around town near the start of the game when you need to negotiate with the other club. It's missable. You would know because it changes the way that story bit plays out too.

Is there a good guide to Kiryu's telephone club side quests? I have no idea how to tell which callers lead to side quests and which don't

I keep getting stood up :(

Theonik

I wish they would still let you opt out of the date once they reveal their name...having to watch the same "Guess I got stood up again." cutscene over and over again got old fast.
Ideally if you follow the table in that guide you should be able to check off all 7 sidequests and avoid repeats. some are easier than others.
e: I recommend doing each colour of swimwear in one sitting. That way you can also just compare the voices from memory.

Ideally if you follow the table in that guide you should be able to check off all 7 sidequests and avoid repeats. some are easier than others.
e: I recommend doing each colour of swimwear in one sitting. That way you can also just compare the voices from memory.
Yeah I did them by colour and it was way easier

Now all I have to do is someone how magically get good at the disco minigame and learn the rules to mahjong

swimbuff

Finally finished this game yesterday after about 51 hours and at 47% completion. What a ride. Fantastic story with strong characterization, and in retrospect the way the story beats played out was kind of like watching a good Japanese television drama.

One gripe I did have about the story though is that at the end of the game I didn't buy Majima's
transformation into his Mad Dog persona. They dropped hints to him "losing it" a bit with him getting clowned by Shimano and being inspired by Nishitani but ultimately the gap between the character we were introduced to in Chapter 3 and the character we see after the credits was not bridged sufficiently. And what is the motivation to change into that ridiculous get-up? It felt like this dude with impeccable fashion sense all of a sudden decided to do fuckin' cosplay for some reason.

Still that last bit notwithstanding I absolutely loved Majima's character and am excited to see more of him in future games, even if it will be in a more limited capacity. Having only played Yakuza 3 before this, Kiryu's still my main dude though.

Theonik

One gripe I did have about the story though is that at the end of the game I didn't buy Majima's
transformation into his Mad Dog persona. They dropped hints to him "losing it" a bit with him getting clowned by Shimano and being inspired by Nishitani but ultimately the gap between the character we were introduced to in Chapter 3 and the character we see after the credits was not bridged sufficiently. And what is the motivation to change into that ridiculous get-up? It felt like this dude with impeccable fashion sense all of a sudden decided to do fuckin' cosplay for some reason.
If you look carefully within how the story is setup
, Majima is more forced into that persona due to his change in circumstances than his real desire. You can see it in the contrast of his lifestyle as he projects it and his apartment and how the game tries to portray as 'trapped'.

His character arc is as much his desire for release and regaining control over his own sense of being. The transition appears sudden because the fashionable Majima was never the 'real' Majima. When he finally escapes his bondage he decides on this change as a way to show his own freedom. His gedup is ridiculous BECAUSE he wishes to make a statement that he can get away with it.

I heard a story on BBC World radio today about the yakuza. They were saying the yakuza hired homeless and unemployed people after the Fukushima earthquake to clean up in the area because no one else wanted to mess with the radiation. So they really do employ the homeless!

Also, they were interviewing a crime reporter in Japan and he was saying that the yakuza are different than everyone else. The Japanese people are all similar, but the yakuza do their own thing, stand out on purpose. That struck me and made me wonder if that's why Japanese people are fascinated by them; a window into another, more free life where conformity is not demanded. Kiryu and Majima, at least of what I've seen of them in Yakuza 0, both embody this ideal of rejecting societal obligations and only listening to their hearts.

As much as I told myself I'd work on progressing the storyline once I got back to Majima (at ch 11, I think), I'm still doing side quests and mini games.

Honestly, if you're at Ch. 11 you should just finish the story. You're going to lose more of the momentum and tension of the narrative the longer you dick around with side stuff. You can do all the side content after the game at your leisure.

Shaneus

Honestly, if you're at Ch. 11 you should just finish the story. You're going to lose more of the momentum and tension of the narrative the longer you dick around with side stuff. You can do all the side content after the game at your leisure.
Oh really? I have no problem doing that then, had no idea the game kept going afterwards.

Honestly just look up a guide. Guessing at builds is super difficult. This is the guide I used and the builds they suggest lead to super easy wins. The only difficult part was getting the Godspeed Mark II motor from a Dream Machine (it took me about four hours of trying, but hopefully the RNG is kinder to you)

Do you definitely need that motor though? I remember doing all the Pocket Circuit stuff in my Japanese run but I never spent any time going through Dream Machines trying to get one specific part.

Oh really? I have no problem doing that then, had no idea the game kept going afterwards.

Yeah, once you finish the game it opens a new mode called Platinum Adventure where you can walk freely around both cities. All of the side content is available to you there, and you can freely switch between characters and even the time of day. This is also where you can use the custom DLC costumes.

Do you definitely need that motor though? I remember doing all the Pocket Circuit stuff in my Japanese run but I never spent any time going through Dream Machines trying to get one specific part.
I tried doing it without that motor found the last couple of substories to be really, really difficult without it

I'm sure it's possible though

I tried doing it without that motor found the last couple of substories to be really, really difficult without it

I'm sure it's possible though

I might have used a Japanese wiki guide at the time when doing those missions, which might have suggested different parts. That's the only way I can think of me managing those side missions without needing that part. Then again it still took me many tries to do the final race, that was one tough cookie.

Shaneus

Holy shit at the
death of Nishitani
at the end of Chapter 11. I was really getting to like
him
and was looking forward to the potential of pairing up with Majima as the story progressed :(

swimbuff

If you look carefully within how the story is setup
, Majima is more forced into that persona due to his change in circumstances than his real desire. You can see it in the contrast of his lifestyle as he projects it and his apartment and how the game tries to portray as 'trapped'.

His character arc is as much his desire for release and regaining control over his own sense of being. The transition appears sudden because the fashionable Majima was never the 'real' Majima. When he finally escapes his bondage he decides on this change as a way to show his own freedom. His gedup is ridiculous BECAUSE he wishes to make a statement that he can get away with it.

Thanks, seeing it that way makes more sense to me. I didn't really get that from playing the game but I was on and off it over a long period of time so may have missed some of the finer character development moments.

Finally jumped in after buying this on sale a month ago! Just finished Chapter 1 and I'm hooked!

Any tips for me? Must-have upgrades, excellent missable content, ways to make money, etc?

xezuru

Finally jumped in after buying this on sale a month ago! Just finished Chapter 1 and I'm hooked!

Any tips for me? Must-have upgrades, excellent missable content, ways to make money, etc?

You'll get ways to make money when you get a little bit through the game, you'll know for sure when you're on the final chapter so nothing should be missable and if you do, you can do premium adventure aka endgame+. Manual save often cause there isn't really autosaves just pretty much boss retry points, buy plenty of healing items since in this game they're ridiculously cheap. My suggestion to new people in Yakuza is to try one or two atleast activities in the area before continuing the next mainquest bullet, this game has a lot of crazy shit.

Top Bottom