• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Demoskinos

Anyone have a good guide for Climax battles? Boy I'm going through and trying to beat them and several of them are just REAL TOUGH Y'ALL.

Im on Chapter 12 and Im trying to buy the Quick Change Clothes from the cp shrine but it keeps saying my inventory is full but it clearly isnt. Is there something im missing?
I know changing outfits isnt unlocked until new game+, do i have to wait until then?

Im on Chapter 12 and Im trying to buy the Quick Change Clothes from the cp shrine but it keeps saying my inventory is full but it clearly isnt. Is there something im missing?
I know changing outfits isnt unlocked until new game+, do i have to wait until then?

Your equipment inventory is seperate from your regular inventory, you buffoon.

You can't change your character's outfit until Premium Adventure Mode sadly.
Looking for help with the pocket race cars.

I've finished every race including king of speed cup.
I've finished substory 42, and I have the dark purple decal to prove it.

But fighter's friendship is not full and I can't race him. He just offers the king of speed race again.
Huh, that's odd. Doing all the substories and races SHOULD unlock the final race too.

Did you do the part where the guy gets
a job offer and considers leaving but then stuff happens?

Oh wow its like I haven't played the game for 60 hours already and didn't know that. Thank you so much for your insight. I feel like i've learned so much from just entering this thread

Well, in that case I guess you're just out of luck then, because it is a piece of equipment, not a different outfit for your character, so what lucebuce is saying isn't true.

Also, keep in mind there are two different inventories for weapons and gears as well. Also, don't snap at people, I can't exactly read your mind and know what you know.

Huh, that's odd. Doing all the substories and races SHOULD unlock the final race too.

Did you do the part where the guy gets
a job offer and considers leaving but then stuff happens?

Do you mean where he's handing out flyers and you talk to him on a park bench? I did that before doing several one on one races but not since.

Do you mean where he's handing out flyers and you talk to him on a park bench? I did that before doing several one on one races but not since.

Just do a couple of the regular races again, you don't even have to win, just reach the finish line, and his friendship bar will fill a little every time (I don't think it fills from any of the sidequest races.)

Yeah, you've done that so that means you've maxed out the friendship gauge.

If you've done all other tournaments and substories then you SHOULD be able to race him..

Hmmm, that's odd. Did you "purchase" his property in the Real Estate game by talking to him after unlocking his district?

Also try leaving/entering the building a few times till he's standing over the tracks instead of behind his desk. Then walk up to him.

Anyone have a good guide for Climax battles? Boy I'm going through and trying to beat them and several of them are just REAL TOUGH Y'ALL.

This person has great guides for everything Y0 related, including Climax Battles.

Please tell me thats on NG+ cause having that much money is ridiculous, nevermind for being only on chapter 5!

It was on my second playthrough, but since nothing carries over to Legend difficulty, it wasn't NG+. You need to unlock the Mr. Shakedown bonus at the shrine in Kamurocho and then repeatedly win and lose against Mr. Shakedown. Each time you win you will get back all the money you lost in your last battle + 50%, so it adds up quickly. To make farming Mr. Shakedown easier, stock up on health drinks, Tauriner (for heat, in case you have problems getting in close to build it), a few weapons for heat actions, slime shotguns and sacrifice stones. You get the slime gun and sacrifice stone from the free dlc packs that you receive at the shrine/temple, which means you can also purchase as many as you want from the weapon store after that. Slime gun does great damage on Shakedown and builds up heat. After that use heat action moves to deplete his health further. Make sure to diversify your heat moves, as the damage done depletes if you keep using the same ones in a fight. Equip sacrifice stones when you're trying to win, they will save you in case he gets a killing hit in.

To make farming easier, you should also get the encounter finder item for Kiryu, for which you need to beat 3 substories. The first one is playing a producer for a TV show, it triggers when you talk to two guys near the shrine in Kamurocho. Later you can overhear a conversation about the world famous popstar Miracle Johnson near theater square, and the third one triggers when you go to Maharaja (only shows up once you unlock the real estate business). Choose the black box as a reward in the last two substories, as it's the more useful reward. The second black box contains the encounter finder, which shows the location of Mr. Shakedown on the map, thus making finding him much less of a hassle. After you fight him just enter and exit a building and there he will be again on the map.

With all of that said, i only farmed that much money to see how high the cap is, but it's way more than you'll ever realistically need, so feel free to stop at any time. :)

I haven't really used this method with Majima, since he doesn't have that bonus, but iirc avarice shirt should help you with that, which you need to unlock from a sidequest or equipment searches first. But even if you don't do that, just fight Mr. Shakedown every time you meet him and you'll have more than enough money for his upgrades, which are cheaper than Kiryu's.

Yeah, you've done that so that means you've maxed out the friendship gauge.

If you've done all other tournaments and substories then you SHOULD be able to race him..

Hmmm, that's odd. Did you "purchase" his property in the Real Estate game by talking to him after unlocking his district?

Also try leaving/entering the building a few times till he's standing over the tracks instead of behind his desk. Then walk up to him.

I didn't purchase a property related to pocket car racing. That must be the missing part.

I didn't purchase a property related to pocket car racing. That must be the missing part.

You just need to unlock that district. I think you can do that by just engaging in the real estate mission and beating the first tycoon/king of the districts so that 3 districts open up.

Once you do, just walk in and talk to the guy once the friendship gauge is full and he'll automatically just give you the property.

Same goes for every property owner that has a friendship gauge attached to them.

Theonik

I would also like to implore people to try and do the two property related friendships on the SEGA arcades with Majima and Kiryu. You get some really good unlocks!
Super Hang-On with Kiryu, Fantasy Zone with Majima.

And the friendship with the little girl outside the arcade in Sotenbori.

The most goddamn heart warming friendship storyline.
AXjYdzY.gif

Demoskinos

All regular climax battles finished. \0/

Now to finish the ultimate battles. First one wasn't so hard. Second one I don't think will be hard but I'll have to throw a few more attempts at it.

Shaneus

So I finally settled on finishing Kiryu's part at the end of chapter 10 (or 11?), not surprised at the "twist", which I could see coming a few chapters earlier. Onto Majima's two chapters next, but I still think I like Kiryu's writing more. The attempted relaxed nature of Majima with the overuse of "ya" in place of you/your is quite grating.

Still loving it, though. Definitely not focusing on the cabaret stuff as much as the real estate stuff though, took far too much time to complete.

Demoskinos

So I finally settled on finishing Kiryu's part at the end of chapter 10 (or 11?), not surprised at the "twist", which I could see coming a few chapters earlier. Onto Majima's two chapters next, but I still think I like Kiryu's writing more. The attempted relaxed nature of Majima with the overuse of "ya" in place of you/your is quite grating.

Still loving it, though. Definitely not focusing on the cabaret stuff as much as the real estate stuff though, took far too much time to complete.

Yeah, overall I think the localization team did a pretty great job but there are a few lines that seem odd or out of place.

xezuru

Yeah, there isn't really a Kansai or prefecture esque equivalent accents in to directly parallel to in english so I can see why a lax almost Brooklynish "Waddaya say Kiryu chan" was the way they took

Shaneus

Yeah, there isn't really a Kansai or prefecture esque equivalent accents in to directly parallel to in english so I can see why a lax almost Brooklynish "Waddaya say Kiryu chan" was the way they took
Ah, so that's the direction they're going for, with Majima being a little more "street" with Kiryu far more well-spoken. I figured as much and they've done a stellar job with writing anyway, it just gets annoying. I don't think I've seen him say "you" once.

Bought the game at launch but didn't get very far in due to other games coming out. Looking to get back in it. Is it possible to just mainline the main story? I know, I know, the side stuff is real good. I'm just looking to know if you're ever forced to partake in the side quests and minigames for more than their introductory mission?

Bought the game at launch but didn't get very far in due to other games coming out. Looking to get back in it. Is it possible to just mainline the main story? I know, I know, the side stuff is real good. I'm just looking to know if you're ever forced to partake in the side quests and minigames for more than their introductory mission?
Nope. You can completely ignore all optional activities should you want to do so. You can even do all side activities that you haven't done before in Premium Adventure Mode, which is a mode unlocked after finishing the game.

Game is still fairly long even if you just blast through the story though.

Nope. You can completely ignore all optional activities should you want to do so. You can even do all side activities that you haven't done before in Premium Adventure Mode, which is a mode unlocked after finishing the game.

Game is still fairly long even if you just blast through the story though.

Thanks

Jimrpg

Wow!

Finally finished the story. No doubt in my mind it's one of my favourite games of all time. Top 5 maybe even top 3 game for me. The entire game was perfectly executed from start to finish and took every little criticism about Yakuza 5 I had and rectified them. Im blown away Nagoshi managed to make this. Just a masterpiece!

Tachibana taking a hammer to the face might be one of the most impactful scenes I've ever seen. No pun intended.

The writing and localization is an A+.

10/10 if I hadn't made it clear.

Knowing the story of Kiwami, it's not possible they can top 0 but I'm very excited to revisit one of my favourite titles in the Yakuza series.

Wow!

Finally finished the story. No doubt in my mind it's one of my favourite games of all time. Top 5 maybe even top 3 game for me. The entire game was perfectly executed from start to finish and took every little criticism about Yakuza 5 I had and rectified them. Im blown away Nagoshi managed to make this. Just a masterpiece!

Tachibana taking a hammer to the face might be one of the most impactful scenes I've ever seen. No pun intended.

The writing and localization is an A+.

10/10 if I hadn't made it clear.

Knowing the story of Kiwami, it's not possible they can top 0 but I'm very excited to revisit one of my favourite titles in the Yakuza series.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

I'm also looking forward to revisiting Yakuza 1's story yet again (Probably the Yakuza game I've replayed the most), I just love some of the characters/boss fights in this game (well, bar the penultimate boss fight, he's a right jerk!)

Theonik

Ah, so that's the direction they're going for, with Majima being a little more "street" with Kiryu far more well-spoken. I figured as much and they've done a stellar job with writing anyway, it just gets annoying. I don't think I've seen him say "you" once.
It's difficult. I've seen people putting a Texas flair to show off osaka-ben so consider yourself lucky Shaneus-han.

Jimrpg

Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

I'm also looking forward to revisiting Yakuza 1's story yet again (Probably the Yakuza game I've replayed the most), I just love some of the characters/boss fights in this game (well, bar the penultimate boss fight, he's a right jerk!)

Is Yakuza 0 your favourite of the series? Maybe because I haven't played Ishin yet, but the jump in quality from 5 to 0 was enormous from every aspect.

And have you played the English version yet? I recall you saying a while ago you were going to get to it later.

Regarding Yakuza 1, I haven't played it since it released so I'll be much like everyone else coming straight from 0. One thing I hope they keep is the original script. I absolutely loved the trash talking (especially before fights) earlier in the series and I feel like it's been toned down a bit since. I don't get called a m$&@f@"& as much.

Is Yakuza 0 your favourite of the series? Maybe because I haven't played Ishin yet, but the jump in quality from 5 to 0 was enormous from every aspect.

And have you played the English version yet? I recall you saying a while ago you were going to get to it later.

Regarding Yakuza 1, I haven't played it since it released so I'll be much like everyone else coming straight from 0. One thing I hope they keep is the original script. I absolutely loved the trash talking (especially before fights) earlier in the series and I feel like it's been toned down a bit since. I don't get called a m$&@f@"& as much.

Not yet in English for 0. I basically finished 6 just before 0 was released in English and I don't like playing Yakuza games back to back (I prefer to space them out). I'll most likely start it soon, Persona 5 has its claws in me so perhaps once I'm a ways into that I'll begin my English run of 0 (though I have Nioh staring at me as well... what a great predicament to be in!)

As for favourites, 0 is pretty much on top. Its a tough one - Kenzan ranks insanely highly for me as well, I just loved pretty much everything about that game, but I'm way overdue for a replay. I also really love Yakuza 5 as well in terms of content, its pretty much the most satisfying 100% on a game I've ever got!

Jimrpg

Not yet in English for 0. I basically finished 6 just before 0 was released in English and I don't like playing Yakuza games back to back (I prefer to space them out). I'll most likely start it soon, Persona 5 has its claws in me so perhaps once I'm a ways into that I'll begin my English run of 0 (though I have Nioh staring at me as well... what a great predicament to be in!)

As for favourites, 0 is pretty much on top. Its a tough one - Kenzan ranks insanely highly for me as well, I just loved pretty much everything about that game, but I'm way overdue for a replay. I also really love Yakuza 5 as well in terms of content, its pretty much the most satisfying 100% on a game I've ever got!

This Q1! I'm trying to choose between Zelda and Nioh for my next game though I'm already 20 hrs into nioh so I'll probably go with that.

I started my kenzan play thru before zero but only got a couple of chapters in. Was fun.

Persona 5 is one long ass game I'm almost scared to start. I'm currently 16hrs into Persona 4 Golden (after getting it near the Vita launch).

So yeah kenzan, Ishin, dead souls, Kiwami and 6 still to go so I think I have plenty of Yakuza to last me a while.

Roldan

Bought the game yesterday and just beat the first chapter.

Damn, that is some good storytelling! I hope it stays strong like that.

Shaneus

It's difficult. I've seen people putting a Texas flair to show off osaka-ben so consider yourself lucky Shaneus-han.
Oh, I consider myself very lucky we got a game with writing/translation as good as this. I've seen the examples from P5.

My fear is that we'll not see translations this good from the Yakuza series again!

Hey all, what is the best way to beat Mr Shakedown?
I tend to avoid him but one particular story beat is pushing me into a cul-de-sac where it's really hard to avoid him.

I've reloaded saves just before that to avoid losing 90m yen (I should really just spend it all) but I'd like to know how to beat him for good.

Is this New Game+?
I've been asking myself whether I'll ever get to change clothes haha

Bought the game yesterday and just beat the first chapter.

Damn, that is some good storytelling! I hope it stays strong like that.

I have also been quite surprised by how good the story telling, VA etc is.
It's very well done, story grips you right from the start!

OléGunner;235446670 said:
I tend to avoid him but one particular story beat is pushing me into a cul-de-sac where it's really hard to avoid him.

I've reloaded saves just before that to avoid losing 90m yen (I should really just spend it all) but I'd like to know how to beat him for good.

Is this New Game+?
I've been asking myself whether I'll ever get to change clothes haha

You don't lose money forever if Shakedown beats you. You just need to beat him to get it (and more) back. Especially for Kiryu there is a decent strategy of purchasing a certain modifier in the CP shrine that gives you more money from Shakedown victories, coupling that with the CP unlocks (also from the shrine) that gives you more money from using heat moves and the most effective way to get money is to purposely lose to the guy a few times (3-4), then stock up on healing/heat boosting items and keep using heat moves against him (switch up heat moves to deal the most damage, as spamming the same one means he'll take less and less damage each time the same move is used). On victory you get a tidy profit.

As for Game +:
You can use Premium Adventure mode to continue playing the game and doing all the side stories and mini games that you may have missed on your story playthrough. Basically you can do everything bar story missions in this mode.

You don't lose money forever if Shakedown beats you. You just need to beat him to get it (and more) back. Especially for Kiryu there is a decent strategy of purchasing a certain modifier in the CP shrine that gives you more money from Shakedown victories, coupling that with the CP unlocks (also from the shrine) that gives you more money from using heat moves and the most effective way to get money is to purposely lose to the guy a few times (3-4), then stock up on healing/heat boosting items and keep using heat moves against him (switch up heat moves to deal the most damage, as spamming the same one means he'll take less and less damage each time the same move is used). On victory you get a tidy profit.

As for Game +:
You can use Premium Adventure mode to continue playing the game and doing all the side stories and mini games that you may have missed on your story playthrough. Basically you can do everything bar story missions in this mode.

Oh wow thanks very much for the detailed answer! Very useful tips.
Interesting using Shakedown to make all that extra cash, I'll try that tonight.

Cheers man.

Theonik

OléGunner;235446670 said:

Mr. Shakedown will respawn even if beaten. Both Majima and Kiryu have two and they cycle once beaten. When he gets beaten he comes back with more health until he maxes out. At that point he carries ~1bn yen on him minimum at all times.

Now for the next bit. Any money you lose to him will be collected by him so once he's beaten you get it all back. If you are wearing the avarice shirt and/or you have a skill with Kiryu you get the money he's carrying + a multiplier. This way you can have him get all your money, then multiply it by beating him.

Now on to beating him. There is a few ways to easily beat him. I would focus on Kiryu since he's the one where it makes most sense with. Once you get a super Spicy knife. (think there is one on the DLC pack) you can buy them. Equip Kiryu with a 2-3 of those. Buy a few heat drinks from the drug stores. Now encounter him. Keep your distance and build up heat, while having the knife equipped hit him with a heat attack avoiding walls. (rush works best for me, brawler gains more heat, reason to avoid walls is that heat move does less damage) Once he's down hold L2 to disable heat attacks and stomp his ass to get enough heat to do it again when he gets up. You can safely hit him 2-3 times on the ground. Repeat until he's down.

e: Oh a couple more things. Try and do the side story with the producer and the two Miracle Johnson ones selecting the black box as a reward. They are all interdependent. Second one gives you silent shoes which lower your profile on random encounters, the third one gives you the encounter finder that marks encounters on your map including Mr. Shakedown.

Rymuth

Oh, I consider myself very lucky we got a game with writing/translation as good as this. I've seen the examples from P5.

My fear is that we'll not see translations this good from the Yakuza series again!
Same guys are working on Yakuza Kiwami, so you're good come this August.

Mr. Shakedown will respawn even if beaten. Both Majima and Kiryu have two and they cycle once beaten. When he gets beaten he comes back with more health until he maxes out. At that point he carries ~1bn yen on him minimum at all times.

Now for the next bit. Any money you lose to him will be collected by him so once he's beaten you get it all back. If you are wearing the avarice shirt and/or you have a skill with Kiryu you get the money he's carrying + a multiplier. This way you can have him get all your money, then multiply it by beating him.

Now on to beating him. There is a few ways to easily beat him. I would focus on Kiryu since he's the one where it makes most sense with. Once you get a super Spicy knife. (think there is one on the DLC pack) you can buy them. Equip Kiryu with a 2-3 of those. Buy a few heat drinks from the drug stores. Now encounter him. Keep your distance and build up heat, while having the knife equipped hit him with a heat attack avoiding walls. (rush works best for me, brawler gains more heat, reason to avoid walls is that heat move does less damage) Once he's down hold L2 to disable heat attacks and stomp his ass to get enough heat to do it again when he gets up. You can safely hit him 2-3 times on the ground. Repeat until he's down.

e: Oh a couple more things. Try and do the side story with the producer and the two Miracle Johnson ones selecting the black box as a reward. They are all interdependent. Second one gives you silent shoes which lower your profile on random encounters, the third one gives you the encounter finder that marks encounters on your map including Mr. Shakedown.

The super spicy knife heads up was a great tip, I've yet to grab one though.
Matter of fact are all weapons just bought in store/received as a drop?

Thanks for replying so in depth as well. Yakuza community seems very helpful, I've learnt a lot already.

Edit: I did the producer side story (where you film in a restaurant) and don't think I picked the black box as a reward. At least I've got another two side stories to try get those useful rewards.

Theonik

OléGunner;235451746 said:
The super spicy knife heads up was a great tip, I've yet to grab one though.
Matter of fact are all weapons just bought in store/received as a drop?

Thanks for replying so in depth as well. Yakuza community seems very helpful, I've learnt a lot already.

Edit: I did the producer side story (where you film in a restaurant) and don't think I picked the black box as a reward. At least I've got another two side stories to try get those useful rewards.
Basically any weapon Majima gets can then be purchased in the Chinese restaurants. You can't buy many of them before that. To gain new weapons you can do side-quests that then allow you to buy weapons, or use the equipment search minigame with Majima.

On the quests, the producer one doesn't give you anything useful until you start Kiryu's big minigame. It is required to do the two Miracle Johnson side stories though. At the end of those you get to choose between a black and a white box. These contain the relevant items.

I've almost completed the first playthrough and still want more. I'm starting to think about importing Kiwami and Y6 - are they enjoyable even in japanese?

Theonik

I've almost completed the first playthrough and still want more. I'm starting to think about importing Kiwami and Y6 - are they enjoyable even in japanese?
Kiwami's English version is only 3-4 months away. I'd just wait for it. The games are quite hard to play if you don't know Japanese. You will need a guide and you will lose a lot of the story.

From time to time I still think about how sad it is that Sega doesn't release Yakuza (0) on the Switch. It would be a perfect game to take it with you.

Problem is, 0 is 2-3 years old now (in Japan) and since the team only thing about Asian markets with regards to the series it'll probably never happen :(

On the upside, if the series is indeed getting rebooted (in terms of a new protagonist) it might make its way to the Switch - since it'd be a better jump in point compared to the HD remasters the Wii U got. Lets see what gets announced at the end of the month.

I loved the PSP Yakuza games in terms of content, so getting a new one on the Switch that is more content rich is a day one buy for me.

Problem is, 0 is 2-3 years old now (in Japan) and since the team only thing about Asian markets with regards to the series it'll probably never happen :(

On the upside, if the series is indeed getting rebooted (in terms of a new protagonist) it might make its way to the Switch - since it'd be a better jump in point compared to the HD remasters the Wii U got. Lets see what gets announced at the end of the month.

I loved the PSP Yakuza games in terms of content, so getting a new one on the Switch that is more content rich is a day one buy for me.

That's why I put the 0 in brackets. Kiwami on Switch would be amazing.

Top Bottom