• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Cess007

I've spent the last 3 days looking for sub-stories and getting myself into the real state mini-game. I refuse to continue the story until I own the Pleasure King section lol This game will take me 50 hrs to complete at this pace

danthefan

I've spent the last 3 days looking for sub-stories and getting myself into the real state mini-game. I refuse to continue the story until I own the Pleasure King section lol This game will take me 50 hrs to complete at this pace

That was me, then I took over the Gambling King too, I just couldn't stop.

The Media King stuff was just too expensive so moved on then but I'll get him soon.

tumblr_inline_ngdkk6Cin81qa6ecl.gif

Opa-Pa

I treat the disco mini game as its own game lol, I've turned on the PS4 just to play that many times.

If we're talking side quests though, I found Ogita hard as hell, but that aside it was easy.

Jimrpg

-Enough with tragic women worth a billion yen who have to go though hell and back to motivate the protagonists, geez.
At least they didn't kill her, I'd have been so pissed
-
It takes balls to kill off characters but they went overboard probably because they couldn't make up excuses for them to not show up in other games... Lame. I mean Tachibana was overkill and not letting him meet his sister before dying was totally unnecessary

Meant to reply to this a while back, glad you enjoyed the game.

I wanted to ask - what tragic women worth a billion yen? Yumi, Haruka? That's it isn't it.

And regarding Tachibana
I loved every aspect of this character and his story arc. I think just like with most of the other characters in 0, I was never quite sure if he was totally on Kazuma's side or not. The story is subtle enough to keep you guessing right up to the point until he dies and its really only then, you fully appreciate whose side he really was on. At least that's what it felt like for me. Same deal with Oda, Nishiki, Sera, their allegiance and whose side they were on were not set in stone, and that's just clever writing on the developer's part.

And also I don't see why the writers should have Tachibana meet his sister, Yakuza settings are dark crime stories. I think the way it worked out was fine and realistic. Majima doesn't get his happy ending either. The only thing that resembles a happy ending is that Dojima's threat of taking over Kamurocho is stopped.

Opa-Pa

Meant to reply to this a while back, glad you enjoyed the game.

I wanted to ask - what tragic women worth a billion yen? Yumi, Haruka? That's it isn't it.

And regarding Tachibana
I loved every aspect of this character and his story arc. I think just like with most of the other characters in 0, I was never quite sure if he was totally on Kazuma's side or not. The story is subtle enough to keep you guessing right up to the point until he dies and its really only then, you fully appreciate whose side he really was on. At least that's what it felt like for me. Same deal with Oda, Nishiki, Sera, their allegiance and whose side they were on were not set in stone, and that's just clever writing on the developer's part.

And also I don't see why the writers should have Tachibana meet his sister, Yakuza settings are dark crime stories. I think the way it worked out was fine and realistic. Majima doesn't get his happy ending either. The only thing that resembles a happy ending is that Dojima's threat of taking over Kamurocho is stopped.

They're not all "worth a billion yen" exactly, but yeah I meant the Yumi/Haruka combo and Saejima's sister.
it just feels lazy to me that 2 out of 3 times when an important female character is introduced in these games, you know she's gonna die or at least get shot to motivate the protagonist at some point. I have mixed feelings here because I liked Makoto's bravery and Majima's rage adds to the character a lot, but it's complicated.

And I don't really have any problems with sad endings, I enjoy them a lot. In fact, I thought Majima's resolution here was one of my favorites in the series, just superb stuff. It's just that I felt the writers went a bit overboard killing off new characters... I mean Oda made sense, but Lee was disappointing because his character was cool and I wanted to see more of him and then Tachibana... I'd have liked it more if he got to meet Makoto and then die, I dunno, it felt overly cruel to me.

But yeah I have to agree the way they constantly trick with the player's perception of the characters was great. One of my favorites was how they show off Tachibana's bat tattoo first and made me question everything I knew about him (he really did not come off as the sort of guy that'd do that) and then comes the Oda plot twist, brilliant.

Fuck Outrun, and fuck whoever decided you needed to
beat 5 million for Electronics King's challenge

Outrun was surprisingly fun once I got the hang of it.

And it does set you back a tad but you don't NEED to beat him at Outrun in order to take over his area.

Outrun is fun but I don't think I'll ever make it past stage 3, no matter which route I take. The timer is pretty unforgiving. I did manage to get 5 million points once, but that was outside of the challenge. Also, I've heard that the japanese version is easier, but Yakuza 0's western localization includes the US version, despite the game's setting. Not sure if that's true.

jdstorm

Banned
Outrun is fun but I don't think I'll ever make it past stage 3, no matter which route I take. The timer is pretty unforgiving. I did manage to get 5 million points once, but that was outside of the challenge. Also, I've heard that the japanese version is easier, but Yakuza 0's western localization includes the US version, despite the game's setting. Not sure if that's true.

The trick is to just pick 1 route and keep repeating it until you master it.

xclk07

Cross-posting from the community thread: does anyone know if there is a way to get the Dragon God Amulet and Mad Dog Gloves in Yakuza 0 (NA release) if one does NOT have the Ishin import save data? Rare Dream Machine drop? Secret weapon search treasure (akin to the Slugger Amulet)? Or am I SOL if I don't have the Ishin import?

Shaneus

The trick is to just pick 1 route and keep repeating it until you master it.
Is it the same as with Outrun 2 in that the leftmost course is the easiest? Because I just stuck with that.

I never completed it in Y0, but for those still needing help I found the biggest thing was learning that when you're about to run wide from understeer, just let go of the gas until you're back in a safe space on the road. You'll lose time, but much less than if you run into an obstacle on the side of the road.

Same goes if you're about to run into another vehicle. Just let go of the gas briefly until you fall back and can get around them more safely.

jdstorm

Banned
Is it the same as with Outrun 2 in that the leftmost course is the easiest? Because I just stuck with that.

I never completed it in Y0, but for those still needing help I found the biggest thing was learning that when you're about to run wide from understeer, just let go of the gas until you're back in a safe space on the road. You'll lose time, but much less than if you run into an obstacle on the side of the road.

Same goes if you're about to run into another vehicle. Just let go of the gas briefly until you fall back and can get around them more safely.

Not sure but that was the route i used and if you finish it you reach destination A.

Also never be holding nothing. Thats dumb and will lose you time. If you need to slow down, break hard and then jump back on the accelerator as quickly as possible. Also remember to shift gears (square button) when appropriate.

Cess007

Fuck Outrun, and fuck whoever decided you needed to
beat 5 million for Electronics King's challenge

I did well when I was completing the mini-quest for the girl at the arcade, but that time I failed and had forgot to save before :(

Also, one comment at the end of Chapter 11:
NISHITANIIIIIIIIIIIII!! NOOOO!!! :(

asariN7

Just finished chapter 2 and it felt waaaay to short.Hope the next chapters are longer cuz Im to invested in the story to care for side quests right now.
Yooooooo that Majima intro though.

Just finished chapter 2 and it felt waaaay to short.Hope the next chapters are longer cuz Im to invested in the story to care for side quests right now.

lol don't worry lack of length is not something that's an issue with the story.

ike_

Yeah, I just got to Chapter 3 last night.
Talk about captivating cutscenes, holy crap. I think I dropped the controller while watching it.

OniBaka

I think it ended just right, I believe a lot of people complain that yakuza takes awhile to start up so it's good zero gets the ball rolling pretty fast.

Capra

I did well when I was completing the mini-quest for the girl at the arcade, but that time I failed and had forgot to save before :(

Also, one comment at the end of Chapter 11:
NISHITANIIIIIIIIIIIII!! NOOOO!!! :(

I was so pumped to (Chapter 11)
storm Sera's place side-by-side with Nishitani and then THAT happened. It's a fucking crime that he didn't get more screentime and had such an anticlimactic death.

I was so pumped to (Chapter 11)
storm Sera's place side-by-side with Nishitani and then THAT happened. It's a fucking crime that he didn't get more screentime and had such an anticlimactic death.

The worst part about his death is, that, because everyone is so incompetent when it comes to guns in the Yakuza series, and unless you literally see someone being shot in the head, there's a 99% change they're not dead (This happens several times in this game alone.) I just assumed the same here. And really, the cop who shot him was probably the most incompetent shooter in the entire series, that whole scene with Nishitani zombie-walking towards him was soooooo dumb. Anyway, once I realized he actually wasn't coming back, I've already gotten over it. So it lost all impact for me.

danmaku

Nishitani is a waste of a character. He's introduced only to be a deus ex machina for Majima (twice) and then he's thrown away.

Ydelnae

I just finished the game. 45% completion rate, all Kiryu real estate properties at S rank and 43/60 of his substories done. For Majima, I couldn't focus on his cabaret management since the game introduces it and then follows up with a bunch of linearity until the end. I've been so absorbed by the game that the only time I posted in this thread was to say that I bought the game and to ask what was the deal with yakuza hiearchy lol (I wanted to make a LTTP thread but considering the amount of threads the game is still getting, decided to just hold back on that and post in here).

The game has legit surprised me. As I've stated in previous posts, my only experience with the Yakuza series had been 5 hours with Yakuza 4 which bored me to death, while Akiyama was a charismatic character, the story was uninteresting to me and the gameplay absurdly clunky. I decided to give the series a second chance after hearing the praise this one was getting and since it was a prequel, it felt the right time to jump in. Even if so many people were saying that the story was good, I was expecting regular GAF praise for japanese stories (as in "Tales of Berseria has one of the best Tales of stories" and you can see that while you play it, but then you realize that the story is not anything special when you don't compare it to other jrpg titles). Then the more I played the game, the more I felt like this was one of the most well done stories in recent gaming, if Naughty Dog or another famous western developer decided to remake this game in an american setting (with the implied bigger budget) like those japanese-to-american horror remakes I'm sure people would praise it as one of the best games ever made.

During my first 20 hours with the game I was a bit confused as to what was the point of the Majima storyline. While I know that the character appears in future Yakuza stories, the game didn't have a thematic focus between the two sides of the stories. And then, it just explodes into your face.
I started to suspect that the Empty Lot's owner was going to be someone from the Majima storyline but when all the reveals about Makoto and Tachibana kept bumping out I was surprised at how they tied everything together. Another detail that I loved is how the two protagonist don't ever meet but their actions help eachother's mission.
What I believed was going to be a story about two men trying to get back into the yakuza turned into something deeper and much more interesting. And while I enjoyed almost every turn and twist
(Tachibana appearing driving the car, the confusion between Lee and the real Makoto, when Makoto recognizes Oda's voice... these were pretty well done)
but during the last hours I was kind of annoying about how everyone kept betraying everyone and then forgave eachother just to turn their backs against everyone during the next cutscene. Also, while some of the character deaths were necessary for the plot to work and have the weight it has
Tachibana's death gave the whole game a new feeling and necessary for Kiryu, Majima and Makoto
other deaths came out of nowhere and killed pretty good characters without warning
I jumped when Lee died during the car explosion and Nishitani felt like he should have died during the Majima finale and not as soon as we get introduced to his backstory.
. My other issues with the plot was Majima's relationship with Sagawa, as it kind of felt like some sort of Stockholm syndrome
and I didn't get the last cutscene in which Sagawa gets dispatched by some men in black, I would like someone to explain that to me lol
However, my biggest complaint was...

1-14.png

Fuck Kuze. What was his problem again? Why so many encounters with this shitty character? I yawned everytime he was on screen. The motobike fight was cool. Everything else was just excessive when Awano wasn't getting any screentime other than one cutscene
and then getting shoehorned into Majima's conclusion lol
. He was the character that needed to die as soon as possible. I get that Kiryu need a rival with many encounters during his story but it happened to be my most disliked character in the entire game. Fuck Kuze.

Other than that, the story was perfectly fine. The ending felt a bit underwhelming at first since I had my expectations towards what was going to happen.
I remember that during Yakuza 4 it was said that Kiryu was in charge of the child of some friend that he met during his first yakuza days and I was expecting Makoto to be that character,
seems like she's not lol
About Majima...
I loved how Makoto never got to hear his name or see his face, and how he keeps watching for her in the shadows. That love story was pretty good and the ending put the cherry on top,
however, the transition between normal-Majima to crazy-Majima felt forced. He suddenly flips after discovering that he was being used to make Makoto fall in love with him and we get some cutscenes in which he has a mental meltdown, and then he comes back to his normal self when Makoto is in danger, and then during the ending turned again into this crazy character which felt compromised to keep contuinity with future Yakuza stories;
his descent into madness wasn't well executed

On the gameplay aspect, some substories were legit hilarious and the real estate quest felt like it could have been a game on its own. While the combat was good this time, I think that enemy encounters became pointless when you don't make that much money out of them and the enemies were either too weak or slighly overpowered with katanas and f u c k i n g guns. They did a good job at making the city feel really alive and running into new substories never felt as if you were exploring a 3D model with scripted events. The minigames were all enjoyable and fun to play except the disco game which felt more punishing than any Dark Souls game. One thing that I would add to the game would be the ability to travel between a selection savepoints without having to run to the edge of the map to catch a taxi.

To sum up, Yakuza 0 has been an amazing experience and one of the biggest surprise of this year. I will try to go back and complete the Majima cabaret quest and more minigames that I still want to dominate. Thanks GAF for giving this game all the buzz it got, because it deserves it. Now, I'm debating myself on whether I should get Kiwami at launch since I kind of feel burned out from Kamurocho right now and if the remake focuses solely on that, I feel like I'm not going to enjoy it at all if I don't wait a bit more. And I don't want to wait too much because I'm really interested in Yakuza 6 right now and I don't want to miss that at launch lol

Capra

Re: Majima -
The shift was definitely abrupt, but I took it more as him embracing his desire to live life to the fullest after finally breaking free from his cage and losing everyone he had cared about in one way or another than actually going crazy. He's definitely taking influence from Nishitani's devil-may-care attitude, but I get the feeling he's playing it up just like when he schooled that guy at The Grand, only this time the only person he's performing for is himself. The super restrained Majima Goro from before wasn't him being himself, but his new persona isn't exactly that either.

That's my take as a series newcomer, anyway.

There's a lot of backstory given to Majima, mainly in Yakuza 4 that helps explain a lot of why he does the things he does.

But suffice it to say that Majima is one of the strongest bosses in the Yakuza and that his whole "devil-may-care" thing doesn't mean that he isn't a smart tactician or an efficient Yakuza. In a lot of ways, he learned from Nishitani but didn't mean to emulate him EXACTLY.

This is something that I feel wasn't made clear at the end of Yakuza 0. It makes him look like he just cracks and goes crazy when that's just not the case. He just stops giving a shit about what people expect and does whatever the fuck he wants to do (within limits of course)

Mikhal

My other issues with the plot was Majima's relationship with Sagawa,
as it kind of felt like some sort of Stockholm syndrome and I didn't get the last cutscene in which Sagawa gets dispatched by some men in black,
I would like someone to explain that to me lol

Majima's boss Shimano was betraying the Tojo clan and trying to get the empty lot to the Omi Alliance from the Kansai region in order to weaken the Tojo and then take it over for himself. During the ending when Majima came in with Sera's message, Shimano was meeting with the head of the Omi and Shimano ended up killing him to get Sera off his back. Word got to the Omi that their boss is dead and Sagawa was the guy that was on the hook since he was the one working with Shimano and got their boss killed.

As for Majima's relationship with Sagawa, I think Majima is just doing everything he can to get back into Shimano's family so he had to take Sagawa's shit. Majima's main goal is to get back in the Shimano family so that when his sworn brother Saejima gets out of prison, he'll have something to come back to since he felt like he betrayed him when he didn't show up for the hit.

Opa-Pa

Yeah the Majima/Sagawa dynamic was interesting and made sense up to the ending where it gets a pretty weird conclusion that honestly didn't make sense to me and felt unnecessary.

I mean I fully expected Majima to just tell him to fuck off and leave but he thanks him and agrees they had a good time? What? Majima is visibly traumatized by what Shimano had done to him in the past and Sagawa was pretty much the person who kept tormenting Majima in his place. Also Majima clearly doesn't like him and only shows the minimum amount of respect necessary to him, not to mention Sagawa literally tortures him physically at one point... But sure they had a good time together.

A shame because the rest of Majima's ending was 10/10.

ike_

Okay just beat chapter 4. This game continues to understand tension better than I understand how to breathe.

Chapter 5 spoilers?
It's nice to be back in Kiryu's shoes again but at this point I have no idea which protagonist I could possibly like more.

Cess007

I've just completed chapter 14, and HOLY SHIIIIET! I don't know how can this game keeps getting more and more awesome.

I just passed
the freeway shootout and it's one of the most badass moments I've played this year.
I seriously loved that part.

Shaneus

I've just completed chapter 14, and HOLY SHIIIIET! I don't know how can this game keeps getting more and more awesome.

I just passed
the freeway shootout and it's one of the most badass moments I've played this year.
I seriously loved that part.
Did you get a
Virtua Cop
vibe from that as well?

danmaku

Did you get a
Virtua Cop
vibe from that as well?

It totally feels like VC.

In other news, I'm cleaning up what remains of the real estate/cabaret club minigames. I beat the Gambling King
and lol even the real estate side story has a plot twist! This fucking game...

Also, is there a way to tell when you ran out of stories in the telephone club? Last time I went there I met a girl I already knew so I think it might be over.

Also, is there a way to tell when you ran out of stories in the telephone club? Last time I went there I met a girl I already knew so I think it might be over.

That doesn't have to mean anything. You'll get variations of Sakura most of the time anyway, it's really annoying.

There are three different porn actresses that you can meet and take on a date (Play various of the minigames with them, Disco, Karaoke, etc.) and a couple of regular side stories attached to the telephone club.

danthefan

Roughly how much do you make per collection from the Media King properties if they're fully upgraded? There's a huge jump in cost from the previous King to this guy, trying to decide if it's worth the time and effort. I bought his most expensive property already but even updating it using Miracle is crazy expensive. The bar barely fills.

Cess007

Did you get a
Virtua Cop
vibe from that as well?

Totally! I was reminded of it in the middle of the section :p

Also, I've finally return to
Kamurocho with Mokoto
and I could think it's: "Yeah! More time for the real state minigame!". I swear, that mini-game is consuming my life. They could make it a mobile-version, and I would be addicted for years

Top Bottom