• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

Blessed song

hLRGKD0.png

The purchase button was just removed from the store. Looks to be a minor hitched as they removed it from preorder category to new release.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/yakuza-kiwami/cid=UP0177-CUSA06997_00-YAKUZAKIWAMI0100
That's very weird.

Zanzura

I recommend turning on the ability to switch styles using L3 or R3 in the settings menu. There are skills in the game that let you switch styles seamlessly when doing certain actions. Unless you hold the controller claw-style, using the d-pad is a bit iffy. Turning on the L3/R3 options let you cycle through the styles counter-clockwise and clockwise respectively. I personally like to switch between Brawler/Rush for quickly getting behind enemies after attacking, especially when they block, or when the extra quicksteps are needed.

So for anyone interested, there are five upgrades that let you quickly change between styles after doing certain things.
  • After throwing a weapon
  • After evading
  • After performing a finishing blow
  • After a taunt
  • And after getting hit (without being knocked down)
These are all part of Tech upgrade sphere btw.

It's nice that you are giving the series a chance, but you should start with Yakuza 0, man.
Guys, the Y0 / Kiwami "which do I play first?" argument is silly.

There are narrative details and substories that have been added to Kiwami that follow up on things that happened in Y0. They aren't written in a "prequel" way in Y0, they are written in a sequel way in Kiwami. In other words, Y0 was the prequel to Y1, but Kiwami is sort of a sequel to Y0.

The official SEGA recommendation is you play Y0 then Kiwami.

Edit: And when I say silly, I mean "amusing".

aravuus

I'm fine or maybe even happy with the idea of a shorter main story. Y0's was very interesting, but I do feel like it was a bit too long.

It's nice that you are giving the series a chance, but you should start with Yakuza 0, man.
Guess what...

I'm starting my affair with Yakuza with this one.

Then Yakuza 0, because it's longer / has more content.

I've played demos of it before, but am also a hardcore Shenmue fan.

Hence calling it an affair :p

What the fuck at the difficulty spike at the end of chapter 5.
Majima's
been kicking my ass for almost an hour and I'm nowhere close to beating him. I'm not even playing on hard ffs

did they really not add arcade games to this :(

Sure they did. You get a rock/paper/scissors cat fighting arcade game after its runaway success in 0... :(
Can't believe that's the only arcade game in this one. At least 6 had the good senses to stuff the arcades full of actual Sega arcade games from 0 and a couple of great new ones (Puyo Puyo and VF5 FS).

Really hoping they go all out for the arcades in Yakuza 2 Kiwami.

Zanzura

What the fuck at the difficulty spike at the end of chapter 5.
Majima's
been kicking my ass for almost an hour and I'm nowhere close to beating him. I'm not even playing on hard ffs

Majima's no joke in this game. Knowing his moveset from playing Yakuza 0 helps a lot though. It's nice knowing the range and tracking of most of his moveset, though he still cheats a little with quicksteps that I'm pretty sure weren't possible, and the stupid amount of armor he gets with breaker/slugger style.

Being able to swtich to rush mid dodge with any style is a lifesaver.

did they really not add arcade games to this :(

Yeah walking into an arcade in this one is just sad.

Floody

What am I doing wrong when the bosses start healing themselves? I switch to the fighting style of the aura around them, but can't interrupt it and no other style lets me either. I there a skill or something I need first?

Edit:Thanks!

Zanzura

What am I doing wrong when the bosses start healing themselves? I switch to the fighting style of the aura around them, but can't interrupt it and no other style lets me either. I there a skill or something I need first?

You need to unlock each style's climax heat action in the soul tree if you want to use those specific heat actions to interrupt them. Otherwise you can just pull out/pick a weapon up and use that to interrupt instead if you have no unarmed heat actions to quickly use (I'm pretty sure you can do this, I don't remember since I unlocked the climax moves early).

Iokis

Got my copy in the post yesterday, but won't get time to play until tomorrow... :(

What I am considering during my interminable wait:

With Yakuza 0, I completed the game and 100%ed the completion list on Normal with the foolish belief that I could cheese the unlocked Legend difficulty with an NG+. Suffice to say, you can't, and the struggle is real when it comes to trying to beat the game on Legend without grinding loads of completion points or money (because as fun as it was, I *really* don't want to do it again any time soon).

This makes it feel logical, from a completionist perspective, to just finish the game asap on any difficulty and then do a 100% playthrough on Legend. However I've also read opinions that it's still better to do a 100% playthrough on a non-Legend difficulty as some of the substories etc. can be a total nightmare on Legend.

So YakuzaGAF, what's better to you? 100%ing a Normal playthrough or 100%ing a Legend playthrough? (This is assuming Legend needs to be unlocked again, anyway.)

I'm glad they made the trouble finder relatively easy to get this time

Sure they did. You get a rock/paper/scissors cat fighting arcade game after its runaway success in 0... :(
Can't believe that's the only arcade game in this one. At least 6 had the good senses to stuff the arcades full of actual Sega arcade games from 0 and a couple of great new ones (Puyo Puyo and VF5 FS).

Really hoping they go all out for the arcades in Yakuza 2 Kiwami.
Yeah, it's a bummer that they're not in there. Like i get that they weren't in the original, but you'd think they would add a couple just for the sake of doing it

at least pocket circuit is back i guess

vocab

So YakuzaGAF, what's better to you? 100%ing a Normal playthrough or 100%ing a Legend playthrough? (This is assuming Legend needs to be unlocked again, anyway.)

100% a normal/hard. I wouldn't want to do amon on legendary.

I must be missing something to do the Kiwami moves. I thought it was just pressing triangle like every other heat move when a special enemy is recharging their health. Anyone know what I must be doing wrong?

I must be missing something to do the Kiwami moves. I thought it was just pressing triangle like every other heat move when a special enemy is recharging their health. Anyone know what I must be doing wrong?

Have you unlocked them yet? Only the Dragon style has it by default, the others need to be purchased from the Soul ability tree.

ZeroX03

Banned
How is the starting with Y1 vs Y0 debate still a thing? Start with Y0. This was made as a sequel. You can find Y0 for the same price, no reason not to start with from the proper entry point.

Ydelnae

I'm sorry but the steelbox result is ugly. They should have used the painting for the entire steelbox and keep Kiryu and the girl for the plastic cover. The blue PS4 stripe is also huge, just like Persona 5, I don't know why.

Top Bottom