• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

Is there no dancing in the game ?

I'm at chapter 6 and I haven't found a place for the minigame yet. I did visit a nightclub but couldn't interact with the DJ at all.

Didnt that item in zero still make the game/kiryu stop slightly, it was just faster then the standard switch time

In kiwami its seamless ( from what ive seen ) and neither the game nor kiryu stop when swapping styles
I noticed that in one of the streams as well.

I'm not sure if it's default or there is a skill for it though. I noticed that there was an upgrade for letting you to instantly change your style after finishing your combo. So there maybe other similar upgrades for different situations. The stream that I watched, did it while he was down on the ground which you also couldn't do in Zero.

Is there no dancing in the game ?

I'm at chapter 6 and I haven't found a place for the minigame yet. I did visit a nightclub but couldn't interact with the DJ at all.
Yes. Unfortunately, the dancing mini-game isn't in this game.

Yes. Unfortunately, the dancing mini-game isn't in this game.

Bummer. Was looking for something to entertain the gf as she's getting bored of watching me kick some ass on the streets.

Karaoke was fun for a while but the song selection is pretty meager.

Majima everywhere is a fantastic addition though. Just thought it was pretty good until I met
Goromi

Right next to theater square. You'll see a place full of lockers.

Go to the save point in front of the Millennium Tower, on the North end of Nakamichi street. Look west past the lottery booth and they are in a small alcove.

Thanks

So I got a bunch of stuff such as Dinosaur Fossil and Medieval Silver Coin. I imagine the only purpose of these is to sell them for money at the pawn shop, yes? The description of the Medieval Silver Coin reads "it should fetch a decent price from the right buyer". The right buyer can only be the pawn shop, right?

Thanks

So I got a bunch of stuff such as Dinosaur Fossil and Medieval Silver Coin. I imagine the only purpose of these is to sell them for money at the pawn shop, yes? The description of the Medieval Silver Coin reads "it should fetch a decent price from the right buyer". The right buyer can only be the pawn shop, right?

I don't know. I haven't found a use for it yet so I just stored it at the save point for now. My rule of thumb is to only pawn stuff that I know will be obtainable later, like the gold/silver bracelets you get for rescuing people.

Thanks

I sold everything, they're worth about between 70.000 and 140.000 yen each

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
PSA: I'm seeing some narrative details flying around in here, so I'd just like to remind people to SPOILER ALL NARRATIVE STUFF because many of us have never played 1. The Zero OT was great because YakuzaGAF was very respectful of spoilers, so let's try to repeat that. I'd rather not have to avoid the OT like I did for Persona 5.

Yeah, it wasn't instantaneous in Zero, just a lot faster than default. So you're saying in Kiwami that by default it's an instant switch? That's great!
I noticed that in one of the streams as well.

I'm not sure if it's default or there is a skill for it though. I noticed that there was an upgrade for letting you to instantly change your style after finishing your combo. So there maybe other similar upgrades for different situations. The stream that I watched, did it while he was down on the ground which you also couldn't do in Zero.
Yeah, that was the one thing i disliked in zero was that you couldnt change on the fly to dragon of dojima style and others as much. But now you get ability unlocks that let you switch on the fly

Theres a really great video here : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XucspxngpAg

That shows all the combat changes that you need to know for kiwami (also highlights how to get boss specific heat moves which look insane )

Also 100% agree that people need to be more cautious with spoilers, not everybodys played yakuza 1 or the games past that point people ;)

I'm past the funeral (I'm on chapter 4). There was nothing frustrating about it, and nothing really stood out as being odd or bad design.

What was wrong with that bit in the original game?
I remember it as being very long but very few opportunities to replenish health. The combat system back then was fairly clunky and at that point few moves are unlocked - I remember that enemies behind you in particular were a bit of a nightmare as it took a moment to turn around and kazuma has no 'hit backward' move.

RPGCrazied

Yay, I actually get Zero and Kiwami tomorrow. Can't wait to start Zero. I get 3 & 4 on Wednesday. Safe to say I won't be starting 3 anytime soon. lol

RPGCrazied

Zero is my one and only Yakuza game so far, it's like magic. Have fun!

I've always had interest in the series. But it all started when 1 & 2 had no remakes, and were PS2 only. Didn't want to play a series I couldn't play in full. Now with these remakes, safe to say it will all come to NA.

Sad that 5 is digitally only here. Is 6 getting a physical disc??

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What an incredible OT. Nice work! Thanks again YakuzaGAF for getting so many of us (myself included) hooked on this series. :D

I am about to finish Yakuza 0 , I am on chapter 14, not sure how long more I have left and if the final chapters are too hard or long. I want to finish by this weekend so I can start kiwami.
My problem is what to do after kiwami. Kiwami 2 will take a while to be released in the west. So I don't know if i should play Yakuza 6, or wait for kiwami 2

Bizzquik

My problem is what to do after kiwami. Kiwami 2 will take a while to be released in the west. So I don't know if i should play Yakuza 6, or wait for kiwami 2

That's kind of where I'm at. Do I jump straight to the end (6) after only having done the beginning (0 and 1)..?

I'm hoping we'll hear from Sega at PSX as to when Kiwami 2 will be coming out in the West. If the localization team is in full swing, maybe the won't be as long as usual.

Second issue: Will 3, 4, and 5 get remastered for the PS4...? I'm kind of wondering how long to put off 6 for....

Part of this is why I'm considering putting off Kiwami 1 - even though I pre-ordered it. ... I don't have a plan as to what Yakuza to play next, and once I start playing Kiwami 1 for the first time, I know the wait for more Yakuza will be beyond painful; there's just nothing like this series anywhere.

Jimrpg

I am about to finish Yakuza 0 , I am on chapter 14, not sure how long more I have left and if the final chapters are too hard or long. I want to finish by this weekend so I can start kiwami.

There are
chapters.

The last chapter takes at least
2-3
hours.

Play 6 then kiwami 2. 2 doesn't have much to do with 6.

That's kind of where I'm at. Do I jump straight to the end (6) after only having done the beginning (0 and 1)..?

I'm hoping we'll hear from Sega at PSX as to when Kiwami 2 will be coming out in the West. If the localization team is in full swing, maybe the won't be as long as usual.

Second issue: Will 3, 4, and 5 get remastered for the PS4...? I'm kind of wondering how long to put off 6 for....

Part of this is why I'm considering putting off Kiwami 1 - even though I pre-ordered it. ... I don't have a plan as to what Yakuza to play next, and once I start playing Kiwami 1 for the first time, I know the wait for more Yakuza will be beyond painful; there's just nothing like this series anywhere.

Play Kiwami 1, then 3, 4, 5 now. 6 in March 2018. Kiwami 2 later in 2018.

EDIT: or heck - just grab a PS2 copy of Yakuza 2 and play it on PC up res. Thats the only downside of the Yakuza 2 for me is the low blurry resolution.

So my only experience with Yakuza is trying out Y5 when it was free on PS+ (liked the part with Kiryu but got distracted by recent releases)

My plan is to pick up Kiwami and then get 0 when it goes on sale. My thinking is that if Kiwami is content light compared to 0, I wouldn't want to be disappointed.
Also it's the cheaper game of the two.

MrMephistoX

I haven't bought it yet since I haven't beaten Zero (actively playing it though) but I feel like I need to buy it during launch month to cast a vote and help ensure we get Kiwami 2 in the west!

looking forward to eventually getting back around to this game. Ive played 1-4, and am currently playing dead souls. Im getting the platinums in all of them, so it will be awhile. Gonna be a trip to play them all in order, then go back to 1

Peroroncino

So my only experience with Yakuza is trying out Y5 when it was free on PS+ (liked the part with Kiryu but got distracted by recent releases)

My plan is to pick up Kiwami and then get 0 when it goes on sale. My thinking is that if Kiwami is content light compared to 0, I wouldn't want to be disappointed.
Also it's the cheaper game of the two.

It's definitely lighter, but the game still can easily offer over 50 hours of playing if not more so if you like it, I wouldn't worry about being disappointed.

I haven't bought it yet since I haven't beaten Zero (actively playing it though) but I feel like I need to buy it during launch month to cast a vote and help ensure we get Kiwami 2 in the west!

All I can say is...
do it!

I don't mind the lack of something like Real Estate and Cabaret Club, they were lots of fun the first time around, but are just in the way on a fresh, second playthrough. But how many substories does Kiwami have? I understand the original didn't have a whole lot but they've added some here.

TLZ

Banned
Boy, was there.

Can anyone say if the funeral is less infuriating in the remake? I swear I can hear the guards' dubbed voices in my head as I type this because I had to retry that thing like 30 times in the original.

Lmao.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, I went back and watched the first scene with Majima from Yakuza 0 just to psych myself up for Kiwami even more.

I'm so glad this exists. I cannot fucking wait.

My concern is after the long journey through Y0 back in June, if playing this so soon will burn me out.

Anyone have any thoughts in this regard? I know the about the setting of the story being familiar obviously but does the game offer enough variety to jump back into this world so soon after 0?

Jimrpg

My concern is after the long journey through Y0 back in June, if playing this so soon will burn me out.

Anyone have any thoughts in this regard? I know the about the setting of the story being familiar obviously but does the game offer enough variety to jump back into this world so soon after 0?

If you think you'll be burned out, wait a bit.

That said, the main story is much shorter than in Yakuza 0. It's about 15 hours long.

This remake borrows the combat system and engine from Y0. It will probably feel closer to Y0 then if you were to play any of the other Yakuza games.

But I mean, some people can play all the Yakuza games back to back, it's really up to the player.

Got to play a few hours today and finally got some sidequests. Glad this was finally released here. I've been waiting for this since I got a Kiwami fan two years ago when it was first announced at TGS.

Top Bottom