• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza of the North Star (Hokuto ga Gotoku) - character and story details

Rymuth

New details, new thread

Setting

Eden, the City of Miracles – A city with an inexhaustible supply of water and electricty from the giant dome-shaped old world relic overlooking the city. It has a circulation of currency, and even an entertainment district shining with neon lights.

Characters from the Original Work

* Shin (voiced by Kazuhiro Nakaya, who voices Akira Nishikiyama in the Yakuza series) – Successor of the Nanto Koshu Ken martial arts style. He took Yuria from Kenshiro, and gave Kenshiro the seven scars on his chest.

* Yuria (voiced by Aya Hisakawa, who voices Tayuu Yoshino in the Yakuza series and Faye Lee in Binary Domain) – Kenshiro’s fiancee.

Game Original Characters

* Jagre (voiced by Kenta Miyake, who plays Yuya in the Yakuza series) – A man who judges Kenshiro to be a monster because of his overwhelming strength. He imprisons Kenshiro in the dungeon of Eden.

* Kisana (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, who plays the role of Makoto in Yakuza 0) – The daughter of the founder of Eden. She listens to the voice of the people, and drafts and implements various policies. Some call her a “Saint.”

* The Evil King (voiced by ???) – A mysterious kenpo user. He rounds up an “Evil King Army” of bandits and repeatedly attacks Eden.

Creators Interview Tidbits

Original Author Tetsuo Hara: “I think Kenshiro’s voice is suited to someone with a good body. Listeners can also tell when the voice is of someone with the same build as Kenshiro. Kuroda’s voice is genuinely strong, and it is also nice that it bears resemblance to Yusaku Matsuda. I thought it was fate, or that I had met the ideal Kenshiro."

Kenshiro Voice Actor Takaya Kuroda: “Fist of the North Star is a very well known work, so I by no means want to destroy the image everyone has of Kenshiro, but at the very least I plan to do Kenshiro faithfully in regard to the author’s vision.”

Game Producer Daisuke Sato: “You can think of it as a mix of the Fist of the North Star and Yakuza worldviews.”

Didn't copy/paste everything so you can still click and give Sal the traffic he deserves.

Thanks, Gematsu
http://gematsu.com/2017/08/hokuto-ga-gotoku-confirms-shin-yuria-game-original-characters

Aizo

Banned
Did you just make up that English title? It makes no sense. Odd thing to put in the thread title.

The Japanese title is odd, too.

This is probably a day 1 import for me depending on any localisation news. I really like FOTNS and I definitely love Yakuza so this fusion of both series has me really intrigued. I wonder what other Yakuza VA's we'll get in this game? I'm hoping for Shimano's VA to voice someone monstrous (I mean, I could picture him voicing someone called "The Evil King) and it probably goes without saying that they gotta have Majima and Haruka's VA's voice someone in this game... Can't wait to learn more about this at TGS.

Rymuth

we better get a Majima expy in this tho
Why do you think they're keeping The Evil King's VA a secret?

QgVYAM5.gif

Did you just make up that English title? It makes no sense. Odd thing to put in the thread title.

Japanese title is the actual name of the game.

I think he made up the English name but it's all we've got to go on until we get an official name.

I think he made up the English name but it's all we've got to go on until we get an official name.

I also think that the English title, while making no real sense, still is a good title.
If it comes over it's probably gonna be renamed to "Fist of the North Star" anyway, probably with some fancy subtitle.
Pretty sure it'll be known as "Yakuza of th eNorth Star" among fans, though.

Aizo

Banned

Why not just... call it by the Japanese name?
It'll definitely not be called that.

I also think that the English title, while making no real sense, still is a good title.
If it comes over it's probably gonna be renamed to "Fist of the North Star" anyway, probably with some fancy subtitle.
Pretty sure it'll be known as "Yakuza of th eNorth Star" among fans, though.
yup, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make mention of the Yakuza connection since this seems to be a FOTN game first and foremost.

Rymuth

Why not just... call it by the Japanese name?
It'll definitely not be called that.
Japanese title for Dead Souls is lit. Yakuza of the End.

This title follows that tradition and should catch people's eye.

If you wish to continue derail this thread without discussing the new details, knock yourself out.

aitakute

I'm afraid this game might flop in Japan. So many hate comments already. Saying it's not the real hokuto no ken. It doesn't mean anything with all those original characters

dan2026

Kinda surprised they are doing their own story and not adapting stuff from the manga.

This threw me a bit, but maybe it might make a stronger game overall.

Surprised they didn't go with Yumi for Yuria. It would have fit so well with Kenshiro being Kiryu and Shin being Nishikiyama.

But who is bro enough and senior enough but also kind enough to be Yakuza's Toki?

Kazama, maybe? They could even have his twin brother from 3 as the fake Toki, too.

Thud

This is the logo they used to announce the game:

Hokuto-ga-Gotoku-Announce_08-26-17_Top.jpg

You can see what they did. Picked the first part from Fist of the North Star and the last part from Yakuza and put them together.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So wait... is this an original story, or are they roughly following the events of the anime/manga?

Eden sounds kind of like the place from the first episode of the New Fist of the North Star OVA.

KyleCross

I'm afraid this game might flop in Japan. So many hate comments already. Saying it's not the real hokuto no ken. It doesn't mean anything with all those original characters

I am really surprised with the direction they're going. I really don't get their desire to tie it into the Yakuza series. Binary Domain wasn't.

Gasian

So wait... is this an original story, or are they roughly following the events of the anime/manga?
Original Story, Which IMO is a good thing. Allows them more free reign to be as crazy as they want. Can't wait to see what the Yakuza team does with it!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Original Story, Which IMO is a good thing. Allows them more free reign to be as crazy as they want. Which is always a + for the Yakuza team

Actually, I love the idea, too. Was just confused by Shin being there. But a new story gives the Yakuza team free reign to just go fucking nuts.

Roubjon

I always prefer a game based on a different source material to have a different story than the source material itself. Otherwise it comes off as a worse adaptation of what already exists. Plus the Yakuza guys doing an original story is like, the best thing someone could ask for.

Top Bottom