• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza of the North Star (Hokuto ga Gotoku) - character and story details

So the title of this game translates to something like: "Like the North Star", huh? That's...kinda weird

Just go with it.

RedUnluckyCaecilian.gif

KyleCross

Speaking of the title, I've heard three different ways to translate Ryu ga Gotoku.

Like a Dragon
Like the Dragon
As Though a Dragon

Sure would love to know which was the most accurate. Or are they all accurate and it just depends on how you want to translate it?

Gasian

Speaking of the title, I've heard three different ways to translate Ryu ga Gotoku.

Like a Dragon
Like the Dragon
As Though a Dragon

Sure would love to know which was the most accurate. Or are they all accurate and it just depends on how you want to translate it?
I believe they translate it "Like a Dragon" so I assume that would be the most accurate as it is the most commonly used. I always liked that name and wonder why SEGA did not use it. But over the years Yakuza has grown on me. :)

TreIII

Actually, I love the idea, too. Was just confused by Shin being there. But a new story gives the Yakuza team free reign to just go fucking nuts.

In theory, it could be a good thing. I'd just wonder about the execution of it all.

I mean, part of the allure of HnK was seeing how Ken and pals found ways to survive in a post-nuclear wasteland, where danger lurked around every bend, food was scarce and it was a battle to secure water. That important aspect seems to be downplayed, if everything is conveniently taking place in Eden, where water is available, a power grid is in place, and even a system of currency exists (something that usually has no meaning in the HnK scenario). Mamiya's town was supposed to be as good as it got, because it had a reliable source!

So, as much as I'm intrigued by this concept, I'm still a bit concerned with them jettisoning a few things that make the series what it is. And if they're not following the original story, what could that mean for characters like Shin and Rei, let alone characters like Toki, Jagi and muthafuckin Raoh?

I really just need to know more, and hopefully TGS will do just that.

In theory, it could be a good thing. I'd just wonder about the execution of it all.

I mean, part of the allure of HnK was seeing how Ken and pals found ways to survive in a post-nuclear wasteland, where danger lurked around every bend, food was scarce and it was a battle to secure water. That important aspect seems to be downplayed, if everything is conveniently taking place in Eden, where water is available, a power grid is in place, and even a system of currency exists (something that usually has no meaning in the HnK scenario). Mamiya's town was supposed to be as good as it got, because it had a reliable source!

Yeah it seems to be a cheap way to be able to do all the usual Yakuza side-game stuff in the Fist setting. Maybe it'll be revealed as a rip-off of the city of light from HnK2 with hundreds of slaves powering a giant generator day and night...=P

At the very least it should be a fun game though.

TreIII

Yeah it seems to be a cheap way to be able to do all the usual Yakuza side-game stuff in the Fist setting. Maybe it'll be revealed as a rip-off of the city of light from HnK2 with hundreds of slaves powering a giant generator day and night...=P

At the very least it should be a fun game though.

Oh, I don't doubt it'll be a fun game.

It's just, y'know, I do have my concerns!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

So, as much as I'm intrigued by this concept, I'm still a bit concerned with them jettisoning a few things that make the series what it is. And if they're not following the original story, what could that mean for characters like Shin and Rei, let alone characters like Toki, Jagi and muthafuckin Raoh?

I really just need to know more, and hopefully TGS will do just that.

There were some larger scale societies out there. Souther had people building him a pyramid.

TreIII

There were some larger scale societies out there. Souther had children building him a pyramid.

Fixed, just to make it a bit more true!

And yeah, I don't deny that there were other communities out there, but each of them had an almost immediately apparent wicked (or at least dysfunctional) element to go with it. For example, the Gento Imperial City noted earlier: which had power abundant but was driven by slave labor because an asshole that was afraid of the dark. Colonel and his nutty bunch trying to create a "Godland" for their supposed master race, by kidnapping girls to have their way and grow their numbers. Mamiya's village at least had water, but that was pretty much it; they had to work for everything else.

And it just goes on. That's especially why I'm hoping that there's something much more twisted and cruel to go along with how "perfect" things seem to be in Eden.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

And yeah, I don't deny that there were other communities out there, but each of them had an almost immediately apparent wicked (or at least dysfunctional) element to go with it. For example, the Gento Imperial City noted earlier: which had power abundant but was driven by slave labor because an asshole that was afraid of the dark. Colonel and his nutty bunch trying to create a "Godland" for their supposed master race, by kidnapping girls to have their way and grow their numbers. Mamiya's village at least had water, but that was pretty much it; they had to work for everything else.

And it just goes on. That's especially why I'm hoping that there's something much more twisted and cruel to go along with how "perfect" things seem to be in Eden.

Tell me what's not perfect about a society where Kenshiro tends bar.

This is the single greatest thing I've ever seen.

HStallion

It could easily make for a pretty workable FotN game inside the Yakuza frame work. Kenshiro arrives in a large city that despite having plentiful amounts of resources is a den of thieves, murderers and all kinds of terrible people. Kenshiro being the bad ass with a heart of gold that he tends to be of course goes about town helping people with their problems big and small while also advancing the story that will lead to many epic fights and people exploding.

Desmond

Japanese title for Dead Souls is lit. Yakuza of the End.

This title follows that tradition and should catch people's eye.

If you wish to continue derail this thread without discussing the new details, knock yourself out.
Well literally it's Like a Dragon of the End. Sounds metal af.

I'm afraid this game might flop in Japan. So many hate comments already. Saying it's not the real hokuto no ken. It doesn't mean anything with all those original characters
RGG games do very well in Japan. I imagine at least the RGG fanbase will buy it. Along with people like me who'll import (though I should be in Japan on release.)

So wait... is this an original story, or are they roughly following the events of the anime/manga?

Eden sounds kind of like the place from the first episode of the New Fist of the North Star OVA.
pretty sure it's an original story.

Like a Dragon
Like the Dragon
As Though a Dragon

Wasn't Like a Dragon used for the film in the west? I can't remember.

Aki-at

I'm afraid this game might flop in Japan. So many hate comments already. Saying it's not the real hokuto no ken. It doesn't mean anything with all those original characters

I don't think so, just by looking at their Youtube video it's gotten a lot of likes and over 300,000 more views than Kiwami 2's trailer. It'll do just fine in Japan unless they completely fluff the game and it gets a poor critical reception.

FallAgain

Like a Dragon
Like the Dragon
As Though a Dragon

Ryuu ga Gotoku = Like a Dragon
Hokuto ga Gotoku = Like the North Star

HStallion

So does this take place after Asura, before the series, or on a different timeline completely?

Since Yuria is in this I'm guessing it takes place before Asura as
I believe she died before Kenshiro made the trip over there

KyleCross

I believe they translate it "Like a Dragon" so I assume that would be the most accurate as it is the most commonly used. I always liked that name and wonder why SEGA did not use it. But over the years Yakuza has grown on me. :)
But just think, we could've been known as DragonGAF.

So does this take place after Asura, before the series, or on a different timeline completely?

Shin and Yuria are around, so it has to either be before the series (and changing when Kenshiro and Rei met each other, I guess) or just an alternate timeline. Probably the latter.

I always prefer a game based on a different source material to have a different story than the source material itself. Otherwise it comes off as a worse adaptation of what already exists. Plus the Yakuza guys doing an original story is like, the best thing someone could ask for.

Yeah. Like every kingdom hearts world. What a waste.

What's this about Ken and co. having to survive against the elements? Like, they had it fairly rough but survival was never a huge aspect of the series in a consistent manner. Some of the plot points were AROUND said concept but you rarely ever saw Ken go "MAN I SURE AM HUNGRY I NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO SURVIVE" and then go hunt/forage/etc a lot.

TreIII

It could easily make for a pretty workable FotN game inside the Yakuza frame work. Kenshiro arrives in a large city that despite having plentiful amounts of resources is a den of thieves, murderers and all kinds of terrible people. Kenshiro being the bad ass with a heart of gold that he tends to be of course goes about town helping people with their problems big and small while also advancing the story that will lead to many epic fights and people exploding.

I certainly hope so!

What's this about Ken and co. having to survive against the elements? Like, they had it fairly rough but survival was never a huge aspect of the series in a consistent manner. Some of the plot points were AROUND said concept but you rarely ever saw Ken go "MAN I SURE AM HUNGRY I NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO SURVIVE" and then go hunt/forage/etc a lot.

Not too often on panel/on-screen, but I think it's a believable thing to put stock in, considering the very first time we see Ken had the guy practically dying of thirst in the wastes before he got to Lynn and Bart's village. And the group always ended up getting bought into the business of others more often because they were stopping for food and/or drink when they could get it.

Aizo

Banned
This is the logo they used to announce the game:

Hokuto-ga-Gotoku-Announce_08-26-17_Top.jpg

You can see what they did. Picked the first part from Fist of the North Star and the last part from Yakuza and put them together.
Yupp... I can read Japanese and am aware of the title, but the difference is that 龍が如く doesn't mean Yakuza, so the title would be translated differently for America. Translates super awkwardly, though: "Like the Big Dipper," "Similar to the North Star," or something along those lines. But I think even that doesn't do the title justice, because Hokuto, yes means "big dipper," (not North Star) but it really just refers the fighting style Hokuto Shinken. I haven't read the English version of the manga, so I'm not sure what they call the fighting style there. To sum it up, "Yakuza of the North Star" loses a ton of the nuance because neither English title is a direct translation, therefore, you can't just give the new title a direct translation.

I imagine in the end, they're going to just go with "Fist of the North Star: Yakuza Edition," or something silly. I doubt they really even mention Yakuza at all, honestly. Using the direct translation for the Japanese title might actually work better "Fist of the North Star: Like a Dragon." Yeah, that's not bad.

Japanese title for Dead Souls is lit. Yakuza of the End.
This title follows that tradition and should catch people's eye.
If you wish to continue derail this thread without discussing the new details, knock yourself out.
Yeah, I like the Dead Souls title in America. I don't feel that I'm derailing the thread. I'm interested in the game and discussing the potential adapted title. It's not off topic.

Bit confused - is Raoh not in the game at all then?

Still sounds awesome, but he's like one of the main characters of the series.

_Ryo_

So the title of this game translates to something like: "Like the North Star", huh? That's...kinda weird

The Japanese title is more like

Like a Dragon
Like the Fist of the North Star

overlayed atop one another.

It's clearly branded as a Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) game on the logo.

Aizo

Banned
The Japanese title is more like

Like a Dragon
Like the Fist of the North Star

overlayed atop one another.

It's clearly branded as a Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) game on the logo.
If you're going for literal, it's just 北斗が如く, so "Like the Big Dipper."

I'm expecting Majima's VA as Jagi and Ryuji's VA to be Raoh. That is all that I can guess. It is strange the Evil King doesn't have his VA announced.

I have hopes on this.

blackjon24

Not really feeling this yet. I love the series for it's characters. I've yet to see anything good that strayed away from the original manga for this series for example (new hokuto no ken, gaiden, fist of the blue sky...

Hopefully also kenshiro isn't the only playable character

Like a Dragon
Like the Dragon
As Though a Dragon

There is no functional difference in Japanese: it has no articles, definite or indefinite.

Yupp... I can read Japanese and am aware of the title, but the difference is that 龍が如く doesn't mean Yakuza, so the title would be translated differently for America. Translates super awkwardly, though: "Like the Big Dipper," "Similar to the North Star," or something along those lines. But I think even that doesn't do the title justice, because Hokuto, yes means "big dipper," (not North Star) but it really just refers the fighting style Hokuto Shinken. I haven't read the English version of the manga, so I'm not sure what they call the fighting style there. To sum it up, "Yakuza of the North Star" loses a ton of the nuance because neither English title is a direct translation, therefore, you can't just give the new title a direct translation.

I imagine in the end, they're going to just go with "Fist of the North Star: Yakuza Edition," or something silly. I doubt they really even mention Yakuza at all, honestly. Using the direct translation for the Japanese title might actually work better "Fist of the North Star: Like a Dragon." Yeah, that's not bad.

All these are very reasonable. However, I do not think that "Yakuza of the North Star" in this thread title is actually an earnest attempt to localize the title but rather just a shorter way to convey "that Yakuza and Fist of the North Star crossover game" information. Because not everybody is familiar with the Japanese titles of "Hokuto no Ken" and "Ryu ga Gotoku".

No matter what the official title would end up as if it makes it over, I imagine variations of "Yakuza of the North Star" would continue to be used by the community to convey that information.

Aizo

Banned
Not even close. He's Rei-tier at best and that's already taken.
You talkin' shit about Rei? Rei is great.
Doesn't it say

"Like the fist of the Big Dipper"
"Like a Dragon"
overlayed on top of each other like

Q6oGYRp.png
Yes, yes. That's what the logo is. I was just saying that's not the title of the game.
All these are very reasonable. However, I do not think that "Yakuza of the North Star" in this thread title is actually an earnest attempt to localize the title but rather just a shorter way to convey "that Yakuza and Fist of the North Star crossover game" information. Because not everybody is familiar with the Japanese titles of "Hokuto no Ken" and "Ryu ga Gotoku".

No matter what the official title would end up as if it makes it over, I imagine variations of "Yakuza of the North Star" would continue to be used by the community to convey that information.
Yeah, that's fair. I just found it odd to put the real name in parentheses and the made up name at the beginning of the title. No big deal.
Hokuto means "big dipper." North Star is actually 北極星 (hokkyokusei). The localization of the name is different than the actual translation. It's more like "Like the Big Dipper," which sounds even funnier. Since hokuto really just represents the fighting style hokuto shinken, the nuance would be "Like the hokuto fighting style," but it's still a super odd name in Japanese.

I imagine the series would get ridiculed and become even more obscure if the manga/anime was called "Fist of the Big Dipper" back then. Changing it to "North Star" was the right call IMO.

Maybe they will throw in "Eden" in the official name. Fist of the North Star: Yakuza of Eden? Can't be worse than "Ken's Rage".

Aizo

Banned
Im currently watching the TV series to prepare myself for the game.
Please read the manga instead. Or both.
The art in the manga is incredible, and the show doesn't do it justice. The voice work in the show is awesome, though.

What is Shin doing here? He dead son, I give Yuria a pass because well it's Yuria.

The fact that we're seeing all the characters like this clearly means this isn't even trying to pretend that it could be a 'story within the HnK universe', but rather it's an wholly original story that is simply taking the ideas and characters of HnK to mold into its liking.

The manga aged flawless, the animation is serviceable but highly Janky and inconsistent, how many versions of Kenshiro it had? 6? 7?

The fact that we're seeing all the characters like this clearly means this isn't even trying to pretend that it could be a 'story within the HnK universe', but rather it's an wholly original story that is simply taking the ideas and characters of HnK to mold into its liking.

Oh I am OK with this, but then I wonder why bringing back Shin and not the heavy hitters such as Rei, Souther, Toki and Raoh among others.

The manga aged flawless, the animation is serviceable but highly Janky and inconsistent, how many versions of Kenshiro it had? 6? 7?

Even the True Saviour movie series had very inconsistent animation, and for all its its modern flair, it went too far up its ass on the "saviour" angle, which was a very muted part of the original story.

Top Bottom