• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza of the North Star (Hokuto ga Gotoku) - character and story details

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Please read the manga instead. Or both.
The art in the manga is incredible, and the show doesn't do it justice. The voice work in the show is awesome, though.

Is there way I can buy entire volume like this one?
Nausicaa+Box+Set.jpg

Oh I am OK with this, but then I wonder why bringing back Shin and not the heavy hitters such as Rei, Souther, Toki and Raoh among others.

We already saw Rei in the trailer. I'm pretty confident other characters are also being kept for more reveals later, or worse case scenario... for the sequel. :p

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Raoh in this, but there's no way Shin is the only returning character.

Even the True Saviour movie series had very inconsistent animation, and for all its its modern flair, it went too far up its ass on the "saviour" angle, which was a very muted part of the original story.

I have all of the True Saviour movies on DVD, but never got around to watching them. I take it they aren't very good then?

Is there way I can buy entire volume like this one?
Nausicaa+Box+Set.jpg
For the old anime, yes, there is a DVD boxset with English sub and original Japanese voice over.
main.jpg

For the manga, I don't know. I read the Chinese version.

We already saw Rei in the trailer. I'm pretty confident other characters are also being kept for more reveals later, or worse case scenario... for the sequel. :p

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Raoh in this, but there's no way Shin is the only returning character.
After the credits end we see the silhouette of a huge black horse entering the city, camera zooms in to Koku-oh and then to Raoh, game ends.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have all of the True Saviour movies on DVD, but never got around to watching them. I take it they aren't very good then?

Hmm... the quality varies. Like, for the sake of story compression, they completely removed Juza from the movie, and Raoh found out about
Yuria being alive via one of his spy lackeys informing him of it.

But the movies themselves have a lot of new and remixed content that makes them quite different from the original. And a lot of them are quite interesting, even if not necessarily good.

Like, if anything, these movies are an alternate retelling of the original stories, but with slightly different tone, new characters, additional perspectives, etc. Like, there are a lot more female representation in these movies for one, since the manga was from a different time.

I personally liked the expanded look into Raoh, even though I'm not a fan of the Shura-sub characters in Reina, etc. I think the tone of the movies, ( more sombre ) is a good way to tackle the stories in the saga, but at the same time, the movie lays in the 'saviour' angle a little too thick for my taste. And the Yullia related story content isn't too my liking.

All in all, I like it a lot. It's basically Hokuto no Ken Expanded Universe. There's things I don't like about it, but it doesn't take away from the original and there's plenty of interesting new stuff that makes it worthwhile.

NOT ENOUGH REI THOUGH.

Hmm... the quality varies. Like, for the sake of story compression....
NOT ENOUGH REI THOUGH.
Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a watch when I have time, even if the story is not perfect, I'm sure the updated visual is at least worth a watch.
Larger images of the characters on DualShocker: http://www.dualshockers.com/hokuto-ga-gotoku-first-of-the-north-star-images/

http://www.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/HokutoGaGotoku-8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Really eager to see what kind of activity you can do in Eden. But that engine is showing its age. Why no Y6 Dragon engine?

New info from TGS

https://twitter.com/hokutogagotoku/status/910082909486301184
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/news/detail/1168.html

I put the text through Google Translate, it seems there is a premium edition with DLC, and "the right to use Ai o Torimodose!! as additional BGM" is part of the DLC? Hoping a gaffer who read Japanese can confirm this. That's some bullshit if true, that's THE song for FotNS, should not be locked behind a DLC.

Gematsu has the info too in English:
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-launches-february-22-japan

In regards to your question:

"Product Code for Additional Music “Ai wo Torimodosu!!” and “Tough Boy” – With this add-on, you can use the songs “Ai wo Torimodose!!” by Crystal King and “Tough Boy” by Tom Cat as in-game background music. You can change the background music at any time. Music can only be changed in some scenes."

So yeah, guess that means the theme is special DLC for the premium edition. Not too familiar with FOTNS music, but I guess that really sucks in this case? I'm already sold on the premium edition anyway, but that's a pity that they are holding back important stuff like that for the premium edition.

"Product Code for Additional Music “Ai wo Torimodosu!!” and “Tough Boy” – With this add-on, you can use the songs “Ai wo Torimodose!!” by Crystal King and “Tough Boy” by Tom Cat as in-game background music. You can change the background music at any time. Music can only be changed in some scenes."

So yeah, guess that means the theme is special DLC for the premium edition. Not too familiar with FOTNS music, but I guess that really sucks in this case? I'm already sold on the premium edition anyway, but that's a pity that they are holding back important stuff like that for the premium edition.
Thanks for the link. I guess all fans would be buying the premium edition anyway (so will I), and the "music can only be changed in some scenes", so I guess it won't be too much of a big deal..
But the song is the core of the FotNS anime, it's like Aladdin without "A Whole New World" (sorry for the lame example), it just wouldn't feel right.

This is the song “Ai wo Torimodosu!!”
https://youtu.be/zEaL3JlIH3Y

Thanks for the link. I guess all fans would be buying the premium edition anyway (so will I), and the "music can only be changed in some scenes", so I guess it won't be too much of a big deal..
But the song is the core of the FotNS anime, it's like Aladdin without "A Whole New World" (sorry for the lame example), it just wouldn't feel right.

This is the song “Ai wo Torimodosu!!”
https://youtu.be/zEaL3JlIH3Y

Makes me wonder if they might include a remixed version in the normal version of the game, and keep the original for the premium edition?

I'd be even more concerned with the English release - the first thing to go is any licensed music tracks, so I'm wondering if we'd even get the song as DLC over here.

As for the song only being used in certain scenes - I'm guessing its probably a theme that can be used in most fight encounters - much in the same way you can swap the Kenshiro model to Kiryu in "most scenes", I'm guessing you can do the same with the (battle) music. But for bigger story/boss scenes you probably can't change the music.

59c0c703c40aa.jpg

Oh wow, so not only the four brothers, but also Kaioh is in the game. Thought they would maybe leave that part of the story for a sequel.

Why are people equating Jagi to Majima? Former hates Ken while latter loves Kiryu

in a way they both do kinda have some sort of obsession over Ken/Kiryu, it's not the same sure but they both go to some insane lengths just to get what they want

it also seams the devs think the same way cause from the looks of things they have Majima's VA listed as Jagi's VA

I won't lie, I would rather make them to do something with Gintama instead. But I have to admit this looks pretty cool.

I doubt it'll be localized tho :/

I'm still confused, is this a Fist of the North Star game or a Yakuza vs FotN game? Are we getting Yakuza Characters in this or why the name?

I'm still confused, is this a Fist of the North Star game or a Yakuza vs FotN game? Are we getting Yakuza Characters in this or why the name?

1. This is a Fist of the North Star game.
2. This game is being developed by the Yakuza team.
3. The name of this game in Japan is called "Hokuto no Gotoku", literally "Like a North Star."
4. There is no English localisation announced or any English name at the moment.
5. The OP is just being cheeky with the name. It will likely not have Yakuza in the title.

It's a straight up FotN game but it's being made by the Yakuza devs, quite heavily in the style of a Yakuza game with hostesses and playspots and heat moves and all. Yakuza of the North star isnt' the actual english title, it's something Rymuth came up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as MUWANdo mentioned the VAs are almost all people who have voiced characters in the Yakuza series.

@MUWANdo

Banned

It's a hybrid of both games: the characters and general worldview are all from Fist of the North Star but the voice actors are from Yakuza and the environment and many of the subgames are loose adaptations of elements from the Yakuza games.

Tizoc

Game
Of
The
Forever

Rymuth

Why are people equating Jagi to Majima? Former hates Ken while latter loves Kiryu
Majima in the original games very much just wanted to kill Kiryu because he knows he's tough. It's only after he became a breakout character that he got significantly more heroic.

robotrock

Banned
Majima in the original games very much just wanted to kill Kiryu because he knows he's tough. It's only after he became a breakout character that he got significantly more heroic.
Playing through Yakuza 2 right now, he’s pretty heroic here and does a lot for Kiryu. I think it was only 1 where he was a bit darker

CHC

If this gets an English version I will buy it immediately.

Those character designs.... just so unapologetically amazing.

Crayon

Once Mario comes out, this will become my most anticipated game. I have a really good fealing about this.

So it seems the Playspots include embracing your role as Japanese Jesus and healing the lame and sick, Driving around and killing people Mad Max style, Classic arcade SEGA Hokuto no Ken games and managing a hostess club in the Post-apocalyptic world. Sounds legit.

Rymuth

So it seems the Playspots include embracing your role as Japanese Jesus and healing the lame and sick, Driving around and killing people Mad Max style, Classic arcade games and managing a hostess club in the Post-apocalyptic world sounds legit.

I hate to say this but I like this Kenshiro more than Hara/Buronson's Kenshiro. He helps out the community and has the capacity to relax and have a fun.

So it seems the Playspots include embracing your role as Japanese Jesus and healing the lame and sick, Driving around and killing people Mad Max style, Classic arcade games and managing a hostess club in the Post-apocalyptic world sounds legit.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSYESSSSSSSS

THE BEST MINIGAME RETUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURNS!!!

wapplew

He play his own game, this is so meta.

@MUWANdo

Banned

That's not an arcade game, that's the original Hokuto no Ken game for the Japanese version of the Sega Master System:

d9df32E.jpg

People might be familiar with the international non-Kenshiro version, Black Belt:

O39TSjV.png

Top Bottom