• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm [2DFG Indiegogo; $118K Funded; Over]

ad_idem

(Wow, TWO threads on the GAF! :)

Hey, guys.

Seon from Nyu Media here. Thanks for spreading the word about our Yatagarasu campaign and many thanks for the contributions!

I can't promise to be super-responsive, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the game or campaign.

Being that I'm interested in supporting the game, I have three questions I was hoping you could answer.

If I'm correct in assuming the mentioned "dynamic commentary" feature is the seemingly live commentary heard in the gameplay video, will there be an option to turn it on and off? I appreciate the novel feature and it would be something I enjoy, but not sure I could handle the hype level at all times seeing as it reminds me of this a bit.

For the $157,000 stretch goal, will Gama no Abura be considered as one of the candidates?

Also I might have missed this, but I didn't see any stretch goals for potential netplay. If this feature is being looked at, what netcode are you considering? I'm very much hoping that GGPO netcode would be considered for this.

Thank you in advance for your time.

ad_idem

The gameplay video link in the OP, I feel, showcased a bit more of an excitable commentator than the even keel one you linked. Especially during the announcement of which player won etc. But don't get me wrong, I think the hype commentary gives a nod to the FGC (which is a good thing), was just wondering if they had an option to toggle it on/off for those times where you wouldn't want it.

Not one, but TWO dedicated parry buttons.

"High," and "low," I guess? I never figured it out myself.

If that is the case, it would be more like SNK's Last Blade system as opposed to 3S. But I do think, based on the gameplay, there indeed seems to be 2 parry options.

LegatoB

Being that I'm interested in supporting the game, I have three questions I was hoping you could answer.

If I'm correct in assuming the mentioned "dynamic commentary" feature is the seemingly live commentary heard in the gameplay video, will there be an option to turn it on and off? I appreciate the novel feature and it would be something I enjoy, but not sure I could handle the hype level at all times seeing as it reminds me of this a bit.
You can turn off the announcer and "support" talking heads in the current version, and I doubt that will change.

And yes, the game uses six buttons: Weak Punch, Strong Punch, Weak Kick, Strong Kick, High Parry and Low Parry.

OceanBlue

The gameplay video link in the OP, I feel, showcased a bit more of an excitable commentator than the even keel one you linked. Especially during the announcement of which player won etc. But don't get me wrong, I think the hype commentary gives a nod to the FGC (which is a good thing), was just wondering if they had an option to toggle it on/off for those times where you wouldn't want it.

Well, I look dumb now. I assumed the commentator thing was going to be an addition due to the stretch mark. I didn't realize there was already something like that in the game. :<

Ninja Dom

Wait, is this same game on the 3DS or this is a sequel to the 3DS game?

Also I'd love to donate but I don't play games on Windows PC.

BOTEC

Right, what LegatoB said.

I hope this campaign makes it, because the core game is already super solid, they just need to dress it up with fancy backgrounds and ending/story art and they have a superb game on their hands.

Speaking of art, am I crazy in assuming the character portraits are done by the same dude that did the amazing Ibara/Pink Sweets characters?

EDIT: I read the rest of the indiegogo campaign page, and yes, yes he is the same guy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait, is this same game on the 3DS or this is a sequel to the 3DS game?

Also I'd love to donate but I don't play games on Windows PC.

It sounds like you consider it a sequel, and them getting to finally make the full game they always wanted to.

I don't prefer to play things like this on PC either, but for a cheap as $10 dollars to support people who've been working on this for 6 years, with full translation, new characters, etc, etc... I think I can swing at least that much.

Even if I only play it local, that's quite worth supporting, and who knows what could change by predicted delivery of Feb 2014...

That's what the page says, if I'm interpreting it right.
It says that they're currently not making money, but anything in excess (they said access) of $311,000 goes towards the development team and marketing.

I think you're right; looks like the money put towards the game up until that point is just to cover dev costs that aren't their wages.

Definitely supporting this campaign; hope it goes well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna look over this campaign when I get home.

This might be the first game I back with crowd funding. Already very interested in the game itself, but Nyu Media handing the localization inspires alot of confidence in the english version.

Will go for beta access at the very least.

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Who is Nyu Media? :eek:

UK-based doujin localisation house. Think Carpe Fulgur, except more shumps. And tea.

&#8593; What he said :)

And I guess RyoRca isn't helping out with this any more?

I didn't know that RyoRca was involved in Yatagarasu.

I actually tried to contact you guys prior to starting this campaign, but didn't hear back. I'll drop you a PM.

First question: will the game come to Steam?

We hope so! We won't be submitting the game to Steam Greenlight in the immediate future, but will consider it closer to the release date.

Any chance of the game seeing console releases / getting keys for console release later down the road in this campaign?

I'm afraid that the scope of this campaign only covers Windows and NesicaXLive. We have no plans for Mac / Linux / Vita / etc. versions at the moment, but we'll definitely have that discussion if we're able to exceed our stretch goals.

If I'm correct in assuming the mentioned "dynamic commentary" feature is the seemingly live commentary heard in the gameplay video, will there be an option to turn it on and off?

Just to confirm what someone pointed out later in thread, yes, you can turn this off.
There is already commentary in the Japanese version, but we plan to add English commentary from some FTGC members you might have heard of. We'll announce who they are at a later date.

For the $157,000 stretch goal, will Gama no Abura be considered as one of the candidates?

I'll have to check with the devs about that!

Also I might have missed this, but I didn't see any stretch goals for potential netplay. If this feature is being looked at, what netcode are you considering? I'm very much hoping that GGPO netcode would be considered for this.

We actually pitched for GGPO pretty hard when we first discussed working together with the devs, but they're very confident that their improved netcode can hold its own against GGPO and so that’s what’s in our plan. That said, the interest and demand for GGPO has been huge, so I wouldn't say that it's totally out of the question just yet.

ad_idem

You can turn off the announcer and "support" talking heads in the current version, and I doubt that will change.
Just to confirm what someone pointed out later in thread, yes, you can turn this off.
There is already commentary in the Japanese version, but we plan to add English commentary from some FTGC members you might have heard of. We'll announce who they are at a later date.

Thank you both for the clarification. Just to be 100% clear on my side though, it's not a feature I dislike, just wanted to make sure there was an option. Also that's a cool idea to potentially include English commentary from the FGC (KoF I'm assuming). Must say I'm partial towards Juicebox Abel (for being informative and knowledgeable with a good cadence on the mic), and perhaps Hellpockets on the other end of the spectrum (for the hype factor).

Well, I look dumb now. I assumed the commentator thing was going to be an addition due to the stretch mark. I didn't realize there was already something like that in the game. :<

No need to feel that way since I certainly appreciated the feedback either way.

I'll have to check with the devs about that!

Please do! I'm sure a large portion of your audience (Japanese or otherwise) would find this to be a good selling point.

We actually pitched for GGPO pretty hard when we first discussed working together with the devs, but they're very confident that their improved netcode can hold its own against GGPO and so that’s what’s in our plan. That said, the interest and demand for GGPO has been huge, so I wouldn't say that it's totally out of the question just yet.

Glad they have confidence in their netcode, but perhaps a tad more glad that GGPO isn't completely off the table yet. Either way, appreciate the answers, and I just signed up for the Open Access tier. Definitely appreciate the passion that's apparent via working on this with a small team (3 people (!), much respect) for 6 years on the dev side. The solid core mechanics shown in the game play shows this as well. I wish you and your team the best.

Ravidrath

I didn't know that RyoRca was involved in Yatagarasu.

I actually tried to contact you guys prior to starting this campaign, but didn't hear back. I'll drop you a PM.

We met with RyoRca and M2 at E3, and she was asking for advice on this campaign and I sent her a bunch of tips and stuff.

Also, I strongly recommend going with GGPO. The license is cheap, it's proven and reliable and... Japanese devs don't really have a good track record of promising good netcode and delivering. I don't know if it's pride or just that they're not actually testing outside of Japan, where the internet is worse, but this seems to be the trend.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I was going to buy the original, but found out there are no online mode :(

So I am very interested in this, hopefully it'll meet the goal, we really need more fighting games for PC.

Nazeem38

Banned
Played the previous version and really liked it! Its awesome to see they're actually localizing it and adding new characters.

Will donate when my paycheck comes in tomorrow.

Masaki_

Also, I strongly recommend going with GGPO. The license is cheap, it's proven and reliable and... Japanese devs don't really have a good track record of promising good netcode and delivering. I don't know if it's pride or just that they're not actually testing outside of Japan, where the internet is worse, but this seems to be the trend.

The Cold, Hard Truth™.

lol I will not spend a penny on this game. I actually wouldn't get it even if it was free. It's basically a sf3 skin with less characters. How can anyone be excited about this? It's fraud.

I wonder if they'll hold back for the update now? I also wonder if they might want to bring it to more systems now too, like they are 1001 Spikes and BOI Rebirth?
I don't think Nicalis is that far into development if their track record is any indication... would be a good idea to wait for Attack on Titan Cataclysm in any case.

A friend of mine linked to their fundraising. I played the PC version they released not too long ago, was very impressed.

Subscribed to this thread.

Would this be a good place to discuss mechanics/gameplay in the current version?

Hmmm, I guess so. Especially if older topics have died down and all. Of course bear in mind a lot might change as the game keeps evolving but I guess it's fine to comment on the mechanics already present.

vulva

The site says it'd be Kokujin, who I think is great too.

But he's already done it :p Him, Tokido and KSK were in the original.

$157,000: New Dynamic Commentator (Japanese)

New Japanese lanaguage commentating by a *to be announced* commentator.

It has to be Nuki! It has to be!

OceanBlue

But he's already done it :p Him, Tokido and KSK were in the original.

$157,000: New Dynamic Commentator (Japanese)

New Japanese lanaguage commentating by a *to be announced* commentator.

It has to be Nuki! It has to be!

Lol shit, I should stop posting in this thread until I get the game.

I was going off of this:
New Japanese Commentary ($2,000)

The commentary will be completely revised and powered up, including newly recorded commentary by renowned Japanese fighting game player Kokujin.
Nuki commentating would be awesome. Well, this has to reach $157k first though. :V

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GenkiPatton: Thanks for the reply, BTW. Really hope everything goes well for you guys! I'm just not as likely to spend any time on playing fighters on PC (have so much more community on consoles), and I'd love to have a fresh Fighter on Vita, rather than ports of things that have been out for a year or 2.

But if PC (and JP arcades!) is the only way, well, games before systems! It shall be played!

Another question, if I may: Would the beta release with the $40 tier basically be good way to get hands on the current version that is available now, immediately (or soon after) the campaign ends?

It'd be nice for a purchase / Tier that give the current version immediately, and pays for the future update at the same time, if this is at all possible. OR is that unlikely, because the current release is by Rice Digital?

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Thanks for the GAF love, guys!

Checking back in with the dev team's official response to the GGPO comments:

Thank you for your questions and feedback about GGPO.
We think that our code works better in the case of relative close distance online matches, such as people playing in Japan. In these cases, Yatagarasu online matches play smoothly and with minimal lag without rewinding. Another merit is that, because it’s our code, we can add new functions very easily.
On the other hand, the merits of GGPO, which has no visual lag, become apparent when it comes to international distances.
We can’t promise that we’ll use GGPO right at this time, but how about we research which is better and then use whichever works out to be best for the players?

Let me know if you have any questions for the dev and I'll put them to them, then post responses here!

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Another question, if I may: Would the beta release with the $40 tier basically be good way to get hands on the current version that is available now, immediately (or soon after) the campaign ends?

Jbtw, the game release is pegged for Feb 2014, so I wouldn't expect expect the beta version to become available until at October at the earliest. I'll of course send an update about the timing when we have more visibility.

It'd be nice for a purchase / Tier that give the current version immediately, and pays for the future update at the same time, if this is at all possible. OR is that unlikely, because the current release is by Rice Digital?

Rice Digital and PLAYISM both recently started selling the last version (v4.3), so it really wouldn't be kosher to start handing out copies for free right now.
At this point, the only plans we have for distributing v4.3 is as part of the Yatagarsu Complete Set that is part of the IGG rewards.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Jbtw, the game release is pegged for Feb 2014, so I wouldn't expect expect the beta version to become available until at October at the earliest. I'll of course send an update about the timing when we have more visibility.

That's cool.

Rice Digital and PLAYISM both recently started selling the last version (v4.3), so it really wouldn't be kosher to start handing out copies for free right now.
At this point, the only plans we have for distributing v4.3 is as part of the Yatagarsu Complete Set that is part of the IGG rewards.

Yup, understandable. Just instead of having to, say, pay the $12 or so USD on the Rice Digital site, and THEN paying $10 for the future game on the IGG, I was hoping there'd be a way to just pay $20/30 on the IGG, and get both (Rice Digital version now, Nyu Media version upon release), while still helping to contribute to that grand total.

A collaborative effort between publishers, not as a way for one to cut the other out of the deal.

Thanks for taking the time to provide these answers!

LegatoB

Thank you for your questions and feedback about GGPO.
We think that our code works better in the case of relative close distance online matches, such as people playing in Japan. In these cases, Yatagarasu online matches play smoothly and with minimal lag without rewinding. Another merit is that, because it’s our code, we can add new functions very easily.
On the other hand, the merits of GGPO, which has no visual lag, become apparent when it comes to international distances.
We can’t promise that we’ll use GGPO right at this time, but how about we research which is better and then use whichever works out to be best for the players?

Let me know if you have any questions for the dev and I'll put them to them, then post responses here!
I'm glad they're open to considering other possibilities. Input delay alone is fine if you're reliably getting pings of like 40ms or w/e... but in my experience, you won't get those in the US. Even in geographically short differences.

K.Sabot

I hope they can breach their regional bubble and give the english and international version GGPO at the very least.

Perhaps they can keep their netcode for their version. It sounds like a nightmare to produce both though.

In the US, internet is terrible. GGPO is often the solution. Please continue considering it. Thanks for making such a cool game!

In the US, internet is terrible. GGPO is often the solution. Please continue considering it. Thanks for making such a cool game!

Is it as terrible as over here? (South America, where I have a 3mb connection: that's 378 kb/s download rate and a brutally capped upload rate of 20 kb/s) If a game works online over here with 100 ping I'm already happy... I get like 150/210 ping to the US. (Yeah, yeah, first thing I should do is update my bloody connection.)

OceanBlue

I'm glad they're open to considering other possibilities. Input delay alone is fine if you're reliably getting pings of like 40ms or w/e... but in my experience, you won't get those in the US. Even in geographically short differences.

I was getting 100+ ping in Melty Blood against people an hour's drive from me. :(

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Does v4.3 have online?

Busaiku

Something I've been wondering, does the English language support include dubbing the characters?
Or is it just referring to the commentary tracks?

vocab

We think that our code works better in the case of relative close distance online matches, such as people playing in Japan.

Pack it up. The people who are backing this project are not even relatively close to each other like Japan is. This same statement is said countless times with other fighting games, and disappoints when it comes stateside because there is little to no lag compensation to deal with latency across large distances. There's only visual problems when ggpo is implemented poorly. See 3SO (pre patch of course).

Don't repeat another kof13 please.

Top Bottom