• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than once thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrod38

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/24/us/yellowstone-supervolcano-magma-reservoir-discovery/index.html
As tourists stroll between Yellowstone's 300 active geysers, taking selfies in front of thousands of bubbling, boiling mud pots and hissing steam vents, they are treading on one of the planet's greatest time bombs.

The park is a supervolcano so enormous, it has puzzled geophysicists for decades, but now a research group, using seismic technology to scan its depths, have made a bombshell discovery.

Yellowstone's magma reserves are many magnitudes greater than previously thought, say scientists from the University of Utah.
https://vimeo.com/125629104
https://youtu.be/LWZSDi1TV8Y?t=23m13s
-----------
Are we already dead?

dabig2

Hopefully it remains non-erupting for a few more thousand years or at least to we're able to colonize space.shit exploding would really ruin earths day

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Man that would suck. It would be such a chaotic time. Instantly the world changes, and millions are immediately dead. 640,000 years ago it happened. If I'm in the 100 year gap that it happens. I'm gonna be extra pissed.

Are we already dead?

An eruption in the next few thousand years is extremely unlikely, the USGS says. The Utah scientists put the yearly chance at 1 in 700,000

Yes, we will all die. Of heart disease, cancer or maybe a road traffic accident. Probably not due to Yellowstone. Some deaths are more exciting than others I suppose.

Whatever.

I mean even at its previous size, it would have vaporized half of the US anyway. There ain't much difference between being super-mega-deluxe fucked and super-duper-mega-deluxe fucked.

slit

Yes, we will all die. Of heart disease, cancer or maybe a road traffic accident. Probably not due to Yellowstone. Some deaths are more exciting than others I suppose.

I'm assuming they're predicting by historical patterns.

That doesn't necessarily mean squat.

BFIB

The last time I checked, it looks like the spread would stop somewhere on the western side of Missouri.

St. Louis is safe once again!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They say this doesn't increase the risk factors any.

Well shit, that's depressing. :(
Is there any chance Yellowstone could go off during our lifetime?

Pretty sure it was supposed to blow thousands of years ago. Scientists have a rough record of when it has erupted in the past and IIRC there is a pattern to the amount of time in between eruptions. So, yes there is a chance.

So is Vancouver, Washington no longer safe?

The whole world would be affected, but the entire Western US/Canada would probably be fucked.

xbhaskarx

150424045056-university-of-utah-yellowstone-magma-reserves-medium-plus-169.jpg

Well I guess that's that

Somnid

If it blew up the ash would essentially block out the sun and kill all our crops. Do you want to die relatively instantly or murdered for food in the post-apocalyptic chaos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom