• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone supervolcano is even bigger than we thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
can we please gtfo of this planet and have some kind of backup. We are here sitting thinking we are immune to mass extinction events either causes by asteroids, volcanoes or wandering undetected black holes, when we are clearly not. Its happened many times before and absolutely will happen again.

Smokey

can we please gtfo of this planet and have some kind of backup. We are here sitting thinking we are immune to mass extinction events either causes by asteroids, volcanoes or wandering undetected black holes, when we are clearly not. Its happened many times before and absolutely will happen again.

Lol

;_;

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The worst part is that this can happen ANY DAY NOW.

Everything can happen any day now. As far as you know, the sun just turned off. You have eight minutes to find out if I'm right.

Dicer

Banned
If this blows, we are fucked...it's not like the movies where we have a "plan" we are straight up fucked.

braves01

Banned
How much warning will we have before it erupts? Will there be a week or two where we can detect signs of imminent eruption and stockpile drugs and alcohol?

Majine

Banned
How much warning will we have before it erupts? Will there be a week or two where we can detect signs of imminent eruption and stockpile drugs and alcohol?

I'm watching a documentary on this, and they say the first signs would show a month before eruption.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

your drugs and alcohol won't save you.

params7

Banned
Yeah fucking scientists, get on your damn jobs and fix this!

Scientists are working hard, we just need more of them. But the funding isn't there..apparently there's more "important" issues at hand, like waging war against some middle eastern countries.

If the ash cloud covers most of the world for about 2 years (and it might well do) then pretty much everything green will die, then regrow from seeds once the sun comes back. That'll destroy the food chain and probably eradicate upwards of 90% of life on the planet.

Humans are extremely adaptable, but we'd need to know about this years in advance to plan for it. If we had the time, I suppose you could build up enough tinned food supplies for everyone to last that time, but with all the energy networks down and the weather being far colder than normal, some people will, unfortunately, be fucked. Merry Christmas :)

We still could eat our neighbours.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm heading for Yellowstone in the Summer for a camping trip. Hopefully I don't get incinerated by lava.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You also need to be aware they say, "has the potential to erupt with X force" doesn't mean, "this will erupt with X force." It just means that's how much lava is there.

The worst part is that this can happen ANY DAY NOW.

One could have said the same thing at the very beginnings of recorded human history and have it be just as accurate. Besides, there's nothing to indicate some kind of imminent explosion anyways.

Mully

You also don't believe in masturbation or abortion, though.

That is completely unrelated.

They've been working on something for years underneath there. Think about if, all that government land and they're just using it as a park? No way. They're definitely testing something underground and are preemptively warning us should something go wrong.

Angry Grimace

This is different.

They've been working on something for years underneath there. Think about if, all that government land and they're just using it as a park? No way. They're definitely testing something underground and are preemptively warning us should something go wrong.

I really want to have a witty response to this but I can't.

kswiston

If the ash cloud covers most of the world for about 2 years (and it might well do) then pretty much everything green will die, then regrow from seeds once the sun comes back. That'll destroy the food chain and probably eradicate upwards of 90% of life on the planet.

Humans are extremely adaptable, but we'd need to know about this years in advance to plan for it. If we had the time, I suppose you could build up enough tinned food supplies for everyone to last that time, but with all the energy networks down and the weather being far colder than normal, some people will, unfortunately, be fucked. Merry Christmas :)

Proto-humans were alive when this volcano errupted the last time. If it didn't wipe them out, it won't wipe us out. Hell, most species on earth would have been around 630k years ago. Life would be fine in the long run. Things would just suck for awhile.

most animals including the Homo erectus survived the last eruption, we'll be good. we're a bit smarter too

pringles

The US could benefit from a good volcano purge.

As usual we swedes would be just fine. No sun? Fine, we barely see the sun as it is. Nothing green? Eh, no one here eats salad anyway.

Go ahead Yellowstone. Erupt. See if I care.

Angry Grimace

Proto-humans were alive when this volcano errupted the last time. if it didn't wipe them out, it won't wipe us out. Hell, most species on earth would have been around 630k years ago. Life would be find in the long run. Things would just suck for awhile.

Its a worst case scenario anyways. I'm not sure I buy the assumption that an eruption, even of that magnitude, would kill all plant and animal life the way people seem to believe it would. It depends on the persistence of the ash cloud and where it went. I think people are confusing the movie Deep Impact (e.g. this is where I imagine people came up with the idea that ash would cloud the Earth's sky for "2 years") with reality.

Mistel

Banned
Its amazing that such a large volcano exists under the park its very interesting to me as i like to read up about geoscience in my spare time since I was little.

Here is an abstract that might interest some people who would like to know more:
abstract of paper Future volcanism at Yellowstone caldera: Insights from geochemistry of young volcanic units and monitoring of volcanic unrest by Guillaume Girard said:
In order to understand possible future scenarios of intracaldera volcanism at Yellowstone, we provide new insights on the generation and eruption of the youngest intracaldera rhyolitic magmas using quartz petrography, geochemistry, and geobarometry. We propose that magma ascent occurred rapidly from the source regions at 8–10 km to the surface along major regional faults, without storage at shallower depths. These source regions coincide with the upper parts of the present-day imaged magma chamber, while the faults focus much of the present-day caldera unrest. Based on these combined observations, we propose that volcanism has a higher probability to resume in three fault-controlled NNW-trending lineaments, the first coinciding with the western caldera rim, the second lying across the central region of the caldera, and the third extending across the northeastern caldera. The first two lineaments focused recent intracaldera volcanism (174–70 ka), while the latter is the most active in terms of current caldera unrest. Future volcanism could include large-volume lava flows and phreato-magmatic rhyolitic eruptions. The identification of these three regions together with potentially rapid eruptive mechanisms may help to better define future monitoring efforts necessary to improve eruption forecasting in this vast area of volcanic unrest

http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/archive/22/9/abstract/i1052-5173-22-9-4.htm this is a link to the above a paper about the future volcanic activity in yellow stone if anyone wants to read more about the future volcanism at yellowstone.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

i don't get all this pseudo-scientific fear mongering comes from, watch less docudramas.

"The ash is thick (more than about 30 centimeters of ash) near the eruption source and a small fraction of a millimeter once you move 2,000 miles away. It's fair to say that a trace of ash would be found over most of the United States, though it would only be thick enough to collapse roofs in the states closest to Yellowstone," Lowenstern told Life's Little Mysteries.

With enough warning, the states near Yellowstone could be evacuated, which would largely avoid a tremendous loss of life caused by the downpour of ash, the scientists said. But that's just in the short term; the aftermath would be the rub. For several days, ash would hang in the air, making it difficult to breathe. And that blanket of ash covering the country would smother vegetation and pollute the water supply, quickly leading to a nationwide food crisis. "A lot of people would perish," said Stephen Self, director of the Volcano Dynamics Group at the Open University in the U.K. He envisions American refugees lining up at the Mexican border. [5 Ways the World will Radically Change This Century]

Perhaps foreign governments would come to our aid and embark on a major ash cleanup operation, but without such an effort, inhospitable conditions would persist in the midwestern U.S. for about a decade. "The records show that [new] vegetation starts to take hold about 10 years after supereruptions. It depends on how much rainfall the area receives, as rainfall is the main way you clear ash off the land," Self said.

As for the rest of the world, it would face a few years of mild climate change caused by the supereruption's ash cloud, which would wrap around the globe, casting Earth in shadow for several days and altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere for a decade or so. However, recent research shows the global impacts of supervolcanoes are less severe than scientists once thought, and a Yellowstone supereruption might be especially unimposing because its magma contains minimal sulfur. Sulfur gas produces particles called aerosols, which can cool the climate by blocking sunlight.

east coast = best coast

Skab

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

i don't get all this pseudo-scientific fear mongering comes from, watch less docudramas.

"The ash is thick (more than about 30 centimeters of ash) near the eruption source and a small fraction of a millimeter once you move 2,000 miles away. It's fair to say that a trace of ash would be found over most of the United States, though it would only be thick enough to collapse roofs in the states closest to Yellowstone," Lowenstern told Life's Little Mysteries.

east coast = best coast

Wouldn't that be outdated now?

Wouldn't that be outdated now?

cause its bigger? eh might be a bigger ash cloud and lava flow but its not gonna change the fact the planet and people will survive. Its not extinction level. Just an extremely large natural disaster, bigger than any before it.

The biggest problem is that it wipes out the breadbasket of the world though that's changing somewhat and gmo's will probably make it even easier to survive. the biggest problem is the refugee crisis and disruptions to trade and the economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom