• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone supervolcano is even bigger than we thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azerare

Stinks that as far as we've come in science and the advancement of technology we still have no solution to prevent/ease such an event.

.GqueB.

Banned
wonder if they'd even warn you it was about to erupt, I mean of course you'd feel it but they would probably announce it at the last second

I have two conspiracy theories:

1. Someone, somewhere is controlling the weather and the general flow of time. Whether it's a bunch of hubs around the world or one central hub, someone has their finger on the button.

2. "They" already know when the world will end or at the very least, when one of these catastrophic events will occur. "They" just won't tell us because it'd likely throw the entire world into chaos. Imagine knowing you were gonna die in 10 years...

Imagine it.

Your Earth-based empire is not future-proof.

(Some) Humans should be able to survive until the plants can grow again (assuming they literally die all around the globe), but there still will just be a big igneous rock left where the US once was (why is there no blockbuster movie with such a setting!).

I have two conspiracy theories:

1. Someone, somewhere is controlling the weather and the general flow of time. Whether it's a bunch of hubs around the world or one central hub, someone has their finger on the button.

2. "They" already know when the world will end or at the very least, when one of these catastrophic events will occur. "They" just won't tell us because it'd likely throw the entire world into chaos. Imagine knowing you were gonna die in 10 years...

Imagine it.

2 is what I was thinking ... if they did say anything imagine the mass chaos on the roads,cities,towns...lawd

studyguy

Well, I suppose it's good to know my suffering will end that much faster should it blow I guess? I loved playing 'the ground is lava' as a kid. The Yellowstone bit always reminds me that reality isn't nearly as fun.

slit

(Some) Humans should be able to survive until the plants can grow again (assuming they literally die all around the globe), but there still will just be a big igneous rock left where the US once was (why is there no blockbuster movie with such a setting!).

Nope, not true. Not for the majority of the continent anyway.

Flo_Evans

IDK if I should move closer and just be killed instantly or farther away and have to fight cannibals and eek out a living.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Why can't we just lance it like a boil and let the goo ooze out rather than wait for it to pop?

andthebeatgoeson

eh...it won't affect much...

Yellowstone_SuperVolcano.jpg

That seems to suggest every 700,000 years in between eruptions. So, we have another 60,000 years? I'm okay with this.gif.

:p

I forgot to add supervolcano to my list in the thread about man in a million years . . . it is another thing that may give us a big smack down.

I like this website What If the Yellowstone Supervolcano Erupts?

As for the rest of the world, it would face a few years of mild climate change caused by the supereruption's ash cloud, which would wrap around the globe, casting Earth in shadow for several days and altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere for a decade or so. However, recent research shows the global impacts of supervolcanoes are less severe than scientists once thought, and a Yellowstone supereruption might be especially unimposing because its magma contains minimal sulfur. Sulfur gas produces particles called aerosols, which can cool the climate by blocking sunlight.

"The huge volume of magma means there would still be some sulfur injected into the atmosphere, but work has shown that you reach a sort of limit in the amount of aerosols you can produce with sulfur gas. It means that our earlier suggestions that there would be a severe temperature change is not right," Self said.

...because it paints a slightly less depressing picture of the aftermath of a supervolcano eruption. At least for the rest of the world anyway.

You know a twisted part of me wants this to erupt and have an ash cloud no bigger than a chihuahua's head just to befuddle the scientists out there.

Lazyslob

Banned
Shit you thought that was scary check this shit out and learn that Ignorance trully is Bliss

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo...otential-gamma-ray-burst-grb-say-astronomers/

That could happen any time to us.

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!

Lets just use an army of drones to seed the sky with clouds to pull the ash out of the atmosphere. I'm sure that would work :p

One way ticket to mars not looking half bad right now lol.

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!

"Ah every week there's a canal"

"Or an Inlet"

"Or a Fjord"

Kerned

Banned
If this erupts we are all completely fucked, and there is nothing anyone can do to prepare. There is no sense worrying about it, all we can do is hope it happens after we are already dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom